Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think it stopped letting me buy frigates, seem 30 is the limit. i might have to send some of the lovely ones to their doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Teleporters are also buggy, I end up outside the station about 1/10 and just die floating off in space

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it normal for desert worlds to be inhabited by giants? Gonna have to visit more of them if so.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When you teleport down does it send the ship with you? I haven't bothered to make any teleporters yet

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Less mad about not getting my freighter the first go round. Got a 34 slot A class as my freebie

Sipher fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 29, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Macaluso posted:

When you teleport down does it send the ship with you? I haven't bothered to make any teleporters yet

yes, your ship follows you, but sometimes spawns inside of base elements.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
On a planet with 613 degree firestorms and 250 degree normal temps. drat

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Quick! I'm at a monolith! What does melting the ice do and what does accessing a portal do! I can do one of them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Macaluso posted:

Quick! I'm at a monolith! What does melting the ice do and what does accessing a portal do! I can do one of them

Portal probably leads you to a stargate

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

froody guy posted:

Ah, another thing: how come I'm almost always disconnected by the universal network (whatever it's called) and can't update my discoveries and get them shiny nanites? It only happened once yesterday that I found it green.

I'm never connected to it either. Maybe the servers are hosed or something? Either way it doesn't stop you from getting nanites, it just means your discoveries aren't being officially saved for other players to see.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Superconductor trick is nice and what not but what's the gimmick for nanites, need more S Ranks

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xilni posted:

Superconductor trick is nice and what not but what's the gimmick for nanites, need more S Ranks

get like 10-20 systems in your teleporter by joining random games online and visiting those stations, then go station to station picking up easy missions that reward you with nanites and do them all at once. Stuff like "scan x rocks" or "kill x animals" are all done simultaneously. if you have 10 missions each telling you to kill 5 things, killing 5 total completes all the missions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powershift posted:

get like 10-20 systems in your teleporter by joining random games online and visiting those stations, then go station to station picking up easy missions that reward you with nanites and do them all at once. Stuff like "scan x rocks" or "kill x animals" are all done simultaneously. if you have 10 missions each telling you to kill 5 things, killing 5 total completes all the missions.

Yeah, that's what my brother did to get his 15 pages of stacking missions. Ended up rank 7+ in each guild afterwards too

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How many people can play coop together at once?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PantsBandit posted:

How many people can play coop together at once?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

froody guy posted:

Holy Cribs Robber is there a way to find out where a recently location, scanned and uploaded, is? Left a drop pod with an exosuit upgrade with only 110 cobalt missing, went on another planet to mine them, and now it's not marked anymore :sweatdrop:

Now why would the player, in an exploration game, want to be able to mark where they have been? What dark magics would have to exist for anyone to be able to record their travels, the landscape, and notable locations onto something? What would you even CALL such a thing? You are asking Hello Games to do the impossible!

It has been a notable problem since launch and they seem to have no interest in adding any kind of actual maps and navigation to the game.

I found out what the weird noise was. It was the reclaim your old base mission. It is bugged. It was flickering in the bottom right corner rapidly. Probably also why it was not able to be completed. Changing to a different mission makes it go away.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Is it no possible to place storage containers on freighters without gabs in geometry?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Trying to load either the autosave or the manual save takes me back to the start of the game :negative:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

froody guy posted:

Ah, another thing: how come I'm almost always disconnected by the universal network (whatever it's called) and can't update my discoveries and get them shiny nanites? It only happened once yesterday that I found it green.

https://twitter.com/nomanssky/status/763127316927184897?s=21

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is upgrading a freighter just like upgrading a normal ship? Move cargo, lose mods, enjoy new ship? I assume I'll need to rebuild my command centers, but I haven't built anything else I'd need to worry about

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Whoever said to start over was totally right. I had suits and ships and multi tools all in the 30 slot range give or take.

All of the equipment I had in all of them turned into useless tech.

And I haft at all afford to replace it, and I’m far enough along that I can’t get things like the tutorial for the blueprint thingamabob.

So I’m hosed and it will be faster to start anew.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Behold, Denver the Last Derpasaur.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DaveKap posted:

The launch of every major patch (this is the 4th) has a 2-4 week extreme bug fixing period, after which most of the worst ones are gone while all the corner cases either get taken care of or stick around forever.

Pick it up while it's on sale, play it in 3 weeks, you'll be glad you spent the $25.
At this point I'd recommend it at $50 given the patch rate and the amount of stuff to see and do in the game IF you're cool with sandboxes AND IF you're cool with dealing with not always gamebreaking but nearly constant and variably annoying bugs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This is kind of :unsmith: that they're seeing a better degree of success now (or so I hope). I don't feel anymore like Sean Murray was another Molyneux out of intentional maliciousness, just way in over his head, and kudos to him and the team for working so hard on this, IMO, and for free after the fact

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

So, this happened.

Yes, that's for free. :smugdon:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

froody guy posted:

Holy Cribs Robber is there a way to find out where a recently location, scanned and uploaded, is? Left a drop pod with an exosuit upgrade with only 110 cobalt missing, went on another planet to mine them, and now it's not marked anymore :sweatdrop:

I've found that the stuff I need to repair a drop pod might be around the pod itself. One I just found needed Irradiated Cobalt and, oh look, a cave is nearby I can mine cobalt and just refine it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so you can't really do any space fighting if you join anyone since the lag will make it so you just shoot yourself instead.

Also, don't try to transfer ancient relics, as they will glitch out the recipients inventory before disappearing completely.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Exotic ships are kinda neat looking and also hella fast

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Are the mats to repair a drop pod exosuit mod the same for every pod? It seems like the last few I've found have been consistently the same three fixes; one antimatter, 55 ionized cobalt, and some chromatic metal and... oxygen, I think, something common like that. I've just been carrying around a stack of cobalt and that usually lets me fix any drop pod I find on the spot.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dollas posted:

Exotic ships are kinda neat looking and also hella fast

I hate the exotic black beach ball that is on the majority of them. I know there is at least one other look but it would be nice if they mixed it up a bit.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/RolandOberheim/status/1023345653412442114?s=19

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

This is kind of :unsmith: that they're seeing a better degree of success now (or so I hope). I don't feel anymore like Sean Murray was another Molyneux out of intentional maliciousness, just way in over his head, and kudos to him and the team for working so hard on this, IMO, and for free after the fact

(check the timestamp on that tweet)

Although I do agree with you, in that following him on Twitter seems to indicate he's taken this in stride. The core game may still be pretty shallow but I think they deserve some recognition for keeping with it and not pulling a Culling 2 and dropping the game like a ton of bricks.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If this was Molyneux they would have started on No Man's Sky 2 by now and abandoned the original.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

explosivo posted:

(check the timestamp on that tweet)

Although I do agree with you, in that following him on Twitter seems to indicate he's taken this in stride. The core game may still be pretty shallow but I think they deserve some recognition for keeping with it and not pulling a Culling 2 and dropping the game like a ton of bricks.

They dropped the game, sure. But they also refunded everybody that bought it, went back to the original game and reverted it *back* to the style that everybody actually liked (on PC anyway, console version just exists in the aether but maybe they'll patch it).

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Guys, is there a major impact on the game if I ignore freighters and just leave the free one I got where it currently is? I just wanna hop from planet to planet exploring and not manage a fleet.

Also, same question but for base building.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Freighter please.
Nearly every time I warp it'll smack 2 of my 3 ships onto the same takeoff platform, often locking up my 1 good ship and forcing me to faff around with one of my lovely ones to check out stations and the like.

Am I right that if I want to salvage more ships, I'd be better off doing:
1: Find them
2: land near them
3: summon old ship I want to get rid of
4: set old ship as primary
5: swap 'primary, old ship' for the salvage ship.
5b: Optionally repair the new salvage ship as much as I can be bothered.
6: hop back into proper ship, fly off to freighter
7: warp out
?

Of course, that begs the question: Is it possible to get decent ships as salvage? Or will they always hover at a relatively low level?

I wouldn't mind it if they eventually added ship customization, with the ability to dismantle ships for parts, honestly. There are some neat ship pieces that I really like. (Like the circular wing on some of the fighters.)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Oh dear, the more time I put into the game the more I think playing on Permadeath might have been a huge mistake. There don't seem to be too many ways to die randomly thankfully, but I don't want to lose all my progress hours down the line cause I get jumped by pirates who actually put up a fight.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

froody guy posted:

So, this happened.

Yes, that's for free. :smugdon:

Same thing happened to me, all I had to do was repair a guys suit!

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

What's the guidance on picking recruitable frigates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Buy Frigates that you don't have yet to allow yourself to do all kinds of missions. Buy Support Frigates to make expeditions cheaper. Be prepared to have even high-end boats get damaged sometimes because they had to roll on one of their low stats, like a combat frigate having to do some trading.

Like I just had one of my combat Frigates return early because of critical system damage. Once the whole fleet returned I checked the mission debriefing, they had multiple pirate encounters and were ambushed at a station, all went well. Than they bought a bunch of giant lizards from a backwater planet; those broke out of their cages in the cargo bay and rampaged through the ship resulting in multiple critical system failures. I am not even mad at them anymore. I would've done the same.