Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

nerdman42 posted:

Here's one that I thought was the 1999 Mummy, but now that I've seen the Mummy that clearly isn't the case.

Egyptian Mummy style adventure story, it ends with the characters appearing back in the normal world after beating the bad guy. The implication seemed to be that the heroes traveled in time before the curse of the Mummy was unleashed in the first place, Jumanji style. They then visited and advised the people who discovered mummies and such in real life, implying that those discoveries were thanks to the heroes. Is this in another Mummy film that I misunderstood, or is this a different action film entirely?

Sounds like that extended episode of Stargate SG1 when Baal goes back in time to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Also sounds like Wishmaster to an extent, though I don't think the last part with them advising the discoverers happens in that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Could maybe also be a bad remembering of Timeline

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wishmaster involves a statue and, specifically, a jewel, and Timeline is about traveling about to Medieval Europe, of this helps the OP.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I was going to ask about a film, but I thought I give it one last look, based on the one thing I was sure of: it starred a doughy white guy.

Rod Steiger
Ernest Borgnine
George Kennedy

and I finally found him.

George C Scott: the film was "Bank Shot"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I saw the end of some modern noir thing in the 90s where a guy had been framed for a bunch of crimes and his lawyer is asking if there's any evidence that he was set up. He says he can think of one thing and then it cuts to a woman taking a piece of paper with someone's name on (which I assume is the one piece of evidence) from a building's doorbell and burning it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pilchenstein posted:

I saw the end of some modern noir thing in the 90s where a guy had been framed for a bunch of crimes and his lawyer is asking if there's any evidence that he was set up. He says he can think of one thing and then it cuts to a woman taking a piece of paper with someone's name on (which I assume is the one piece of evidence) from a building's doorbell and burning it.

That's The Last Seduction, 100%

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That’s a good movie

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Power of Pecota posted:

That's The Last Seduction, 100%
Cheers.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Got a couple of requests, one might be easy enough, but the other is just me desperately clutching at straws.
1:
Old flick, guessing around mid 1970's, appeared to be a continental European production (most likely Italian). Saw it what must be decades ago by now, on some long-defunct channel via Sky, which would generally show either old and/or lovely horror movies every night for several hours. Anyway, said film starts off at some sort of holiday resort with two girls (let's just call them Girl 1 and Girl 2) at the poolside, talking the usual light nonsense and arranging a trip with some guy who's also there. The next day they get on the train and one of them (Girl 1) arbitrarily decides to just jump off out of jealously and/or self-loathing (I forget) while it's moving at full speed, and sets up camp in the nearby ruins of an old castle or mausoleum (something like that) and she goes to sleep with the radio on. She's done for at this point, since her radio wakes up the dead, and they all come riding in on horseback while dressed up in robes and armour, all that poo poo. That's the end of Girl 1, at least after some standard-fare screaming.

Some other stuff happens (sorry!) and at whatever point they decide to go looking for the missing Girl 1 (because they don't know about her being dead or the zombie cavaliers yet), and would you believe it after finding the abandoned campfire, sleeping bag and radio they also wake up the zombies. More stuff happens (again, sorry!) and after several straight minutes of being chased around by these generally incompetent dead folk in some Scooby-Doo-esque episode of running through several dozen doorways, the now sole-surviving Girl 2 makes a run for the train which is conveniently passing the area. Train stops, she makes it on board (at the expense of some idiot crewman who for some reason beyond my memory or comprehension gets himself dusted by the horsemen), and away they go. Except there's no happy ending here because somehow one of the undead managed to get on board, and everyone in the passenger carriages gets offed. Film ends with a load of screaming as the train pulls into the next stop.

That's the "easy" one.

2:
Unbelievably long shot here, but whatever. New-ish (made in the last decade) and apparently a zombie movie, except you'd never really know just by watching because nothing happens until somewhere near the end; for the most part it's just endless shots of a small team of dumbass army guys walking past the camera, wandering around in what might as well be the Nevada desert while their squad leader (I think) just gives endless inner monologues regarding poo poo nobody cares/knows about. When I say nothing happens, I mean it. Literally nothing exciting is suddenly revealed and/or kicks off to keep the viewer engaged. For some inexplicable reason the entire film (or the vast majority of it) also seems to have been put under a mild blue filter with endless Dutch angles (more than Battlefield Earth). I don't actually remember the ending because:
1) I was very drunk.
2) it was a group viewing so everyone just lost interest before then; we were just talking poo poo over the movie and paying very little attention.
So I'm sorry about that lack of info there. For what it's worth it was on YouTube a couple of years ago. I only want to know what this is so I can recommend it to people I don't like.

I'm really not expecting anyone to know just what the hell it is, but I figured that asking might get me the answer.

(While I'm here, and I know this isn't really the idea of this thread, but if anyone can identify the incredibly poo poo movie shown at the start and end of rl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtiBh5YbrFw]this video[/url] (and anything else Lowtax shows clips of at the start/end of videos) then I can track it down and watch it while wondering just what the hell I'm doing with my weekends life.)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Got a couple of requests, one might be easy enough, but the other is just me desperately clutching at straws.
1:
Old flick, guessing around mid 1970's, appeared to be a continental European production (most likely Italian). Saw it what must be decades ago by now, on some long-defunct channel via Sky, which would generally show either old and/or lovely horror movies every night for several hours. Anyway, said film starts off at some sort of holiday resort with two girls (let's just call them Girl 1 and Girl 2) at the poolside, talking the usual light nonsense and arranging a trip with some guy who's also there. The next day they get on the train and one of them (Girl 1) arbitrarily decides to just jump off out of jealously and/or self-loathing (I forget) while it's moving at full speed, and sets up camp in the nearby ruins of an old castle or mausoleum (something like that) and she goes to sleep with the radio on. She's done for at this point, since her radio wakes up the dead, and they all come riding in on horseback while dressed up in robes and armour, all that poo poo. That's the end of Girl 1, at least after some standard-fare screaming.

Some other stuff happens (sorry!) and at whatever point they decide to go looking for the missing Girl 1 (because they don't know about her being dead or the zombie cavaliers yet), and would you believe it after finding the abandoned campfire, sleeping bag and radio they also wake up the zombies. More stuff happens (again, sorry!) and after several straight minutes of being chased around by these generally incompetent dead folk in some Scooby-Doo-esque episode of running through several dozen doorways, the now sole-surviving Girl 2 makes a run for the train which is conveniently passing the area. Train stops, she makes it on board (at the expense of some idiot crewman who for some reason beyond my memory or comprehension gets himself dusted by the horsemen), and away they go. Except there's no happy ending here because somehow one of the undead managed to get on board, and everyone in the passenger carriages gets offed. Film ends with a load of screaming as the train pulls into the next stop.

That's the "easy" one.

Tombs of the Blind Dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhbHd0Euw0

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Tombs of the Blind Dead kicks rear end what is wrong you

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Holy poo poo, that was fast. Thanks man.

DeimosRising posted:

Tombs of the Blind Dead kicks rear end what is wrong you
I never said it was bad, I said it was old :unsmith:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Holy poo poo, that was fast. Thanks man.

I've never even seen it or heard of it before tbh, I just like trying to figure these out lol. Glad to help.

Your second movie might be this really lovely looking movie The Objective, although it involves aliens instead of zombies. It ticks most of the other boxes though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-neOwwa28dk

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've never even seen it or heard of it before tbh, I just like trying to figure these out lol. Glad to help.

Your second movie might be this really lovely looking movie The Objective, although it involves aliens instead of zombies. It ticks most of the other boxes though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-neOwwa28dk

While that's surprisingly close at a first glance, it's not the one (there were definitely zombies involved and it wasn't set in the middle-east). Honestly I'm more than surprised that there's actually another lovely movie involving bored army guys wandering around in a desert under a cheap blue filter.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Tombs of the Blind Dead is great, it has a couple of sequels that are worth checking out too (especially Night of the Seagulls). IIRC it is Spanish and not Italian, although it's pretty much the same thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

gey muckle mowser posted:

Tombs of the Blind Dead is great, it has a couple of sequels that are worth checking out too (especially Night of the Seagulls). IIRC it is Spanish and not Italian, although it's pretty much the same thing.

I think it's Portuguese actually, I might check it out because it looks like my poo poo

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

(While I'm here, and I know this isn't really the idea of this thread, but if anyone can identify the incredibly poo poo movie shown at the start and end of rl=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtiBh5YbrFw]this video[/url] (and anything else Lowtax shows clips of at the start/end of videos) then I can track it down and watch it while wondering just what the hell I'm doing with my weekends life.)

Winterbeast

EDIT:

2:
Unbelievably long shot here, but whatever. New-ish (made in the last decade) and apparently a zombie movie, except you'd never really know just by watching because nothing happens until somewhere near the end; for the most part it's just endless shots of a small team of dumbass army guys walking past the camera, wandering around in what might as well be the Nevada desert while their squad leader (I think) just gives endless inner monologues regarding poo poo nobody cares/knows about. When I say nothing happens, I mean it. Literally nothing exciting is suddenly revealed and/or kicks off to keep the viewer engaged. For some inexplicable reason the entire film (or the vast majority of it) also seems to have been put under a mild blue filter with endless Dutch angles (more than Battlefield Earth). I don't actually remember the ending because:
1) I was very drunk.
2) it was a group viewing so everyone just lost interest before then; we were just talking poo poo over the movie and paying very little attention.
So I'm sorry about that lack of info there. For what it's worth it was on YouTube a couple of years ago. I only want to know what this is so I can recommend it to people I don't like.

I'm really not expecting anyone to know just what the hell it is, but I figured that asking might get me the answer.

Maybe The Dead?

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 2, 2018

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Winterbeast is cool if you like no-budget horror movies made over the course of 6 years by a guy who did puppet work for Dokken’s “Burning Like a Flame” video.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

drat I love this thread. Nice one!

Sadly not; this one seems to have received positive feedback from critics, something which definitely wouldn't be the case if they saw what I'm trying to remember :v:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Winterbeast is cool if you like no-budget horror movies made over the course of 6 years by a guy who did puppet work for Dokken’s “Burning Like a Flame” video.
Aside from appreciating stop-motion animation in general, I also just want to see how utterly terrible the rest of the film gets. I mean a guy visibly forcing himself to roll down a hill for almost 10 seconds while making stupid noises in the name of "acting" is unintentional comedy gold in bad movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Aside from appreciating stop-motion animation in general, I also just want to see how utterly terrible the rest of the film gets. I mean a guy visibly forcing himself to roll down a hill for almost 10 seconds while making stupid noises in the name of "acting" is unintentional comedy gold in bad movies.

It was shot on two different film formats, and because it took so long to shoot it has the Samurai Cop-like effect of making the lead character’s facial hair visibly change from shot to shot, and there’s some genuinely weird poo poo in it. It’s not bad!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Here is a request from my dad:

This movie is along the same lines as "Nature's Half Acre" but dealing primarily (or solely) with insect life. The thing that fixes it in my mind is the ending when the camera pulls back from the facinating insects to show that everything we've been watching is taking place in the yard of an African plantation house just off the veranda where a few people are all excited because, way off in the distance, they've spotted some elephants (or maybe giraffes). The irony being that they've waited all afternoon to get to see something exciting when all the while the fascinating insect activity was taking place right under their noses.

I probably saw this movie in the '50s or '60s, I'm not sure, but it was good enough that I remember it all these years later and hope to get it on a DVD.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Edit:
Oh poo poo, wrong thread!

Edit 2:
While I'm here though I might as well ask about yet another old film I saw once, yet again some 70s-esque fare most likely from Italy. Details are sketchy but I remember it started off with some guy running for his life only to get put on the slab within moments, and at some point there were a few other character deaths such as a girl being eaten alive by an angry bunch of undead-but-not-zombies in a cinema, and another girl meeting the same fate in a supermarket of all places. Ended with two survivors escaping by wading into the sea or something while a bunch of these not-zombies stared into empty space facing the horizon.

Yeah for some reason the deaths stood out.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 16, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Edit:
Oh poo poo, wrong thread!

Edit 2:
While I'm here though I might as well ask about yet another old film I saw once, yet again some 70s-esque fare most likely from Italy. Details are sketchy but I remember it started off with some guy running for his life only to get put on the slab within moments, and at some point there were a few other character deaths such as a girl being eaten alive by an angry bunch of undead-but-not-zombies in a cinema, and another girl meeting the same fate in a supermarket of all places. Ended with two survivors escaping by wading into the sea or something while a bunch of these not-zombies stared into empty space facing the horizon.

Yeah for some reason the deaths stood out.

Supermarket makes me think Messiah of Evil
E: yeah looked it up and the cinema one is there too

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 16, 2018

Looks Like A Camaro
Oct 26, 2007
Anyone remember a 90's movie about joyriders in Northern Ireland? I thought this one would be easy to find since how many films about this could there be...turns out at least several. It doesn't seem to be Joyriders (1988) nor Accelerator (2000). Joyriders is about an adult couple, and Accelerator is on youtube, and none of it looks familiar. I always associate this mystery movie with Trainspotting because of the bleak gritty look of it, and watching them on TV around the same time.

I remember it like this. It's set in Northern Ireland, in a Catholic neighbourhood. It's about a group of young people. One is a chick with short hair and school uniform kind of like Kelly Macdonald's character in Trainspotting. The main character is a guy. The movie involves car theft/joyriding but it also has a bunch of scenes about other stuff. At first the local IRA guys talk to the kids, telling them to stop stealing cars. They don't. I seem to recall the main guy avoids punishment but his friends get caught. At the end the chick with short hair gets tarred and feathered and has a sign hung on her, and another male character gets his kneecaps broken or shot off. Googling for this came up with a bunch of RL accounts of the IRA doing this but not the movie.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Retro Futurist posted:

Supermarket makes me think Messiah of Evil
E: yeah looked it up and the cinema one is there too

This thread gets better and better. Thanks!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

This thread gets better and better. Thanks!

It's not Italian, btw, and it's one of the best horror movies of all time

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Looks Like A Camaro posted:

Anyone remember a 90's movie about joyriders in Northern Ireland?

It's probably not it, but I remember In the Name of the Father beginning somewhat like this.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone remember a 90's movie about joyriders in Northern Ireland? I thought this one would be easy to find since how many films about this could there be...turns out at least several. It doesn't seem to be Joyriders (1988) nor Accelerator (2000). Joyriders is about an adult couple, and Accelerator is on youtube, and none of it looks familiar. I always associate this mystery movie with Trainspotting because of the bleak gritty look of it, and watching them on TV around the same time.

I remember it like this. It's set in Northern Ireland, in a Catholic neighbourhood. It's about a group of young people. One is a chick with short hair and school uniform kind of like Kelly Macdonald's character in Trainspotting. The main character is a guy. The movie involves car theft/joyriding but it also has a bunch of scenes about other stuff. At first the local IRA guys talk to the kids, telling them to stop stealing cars. They don't. I seem to recall the main guy avoids punishment but his friends get caught. At the end the chick with short hair gets tarred and feathered and has a sign hung on her, and another male character gets his kneecaps broken or shot off. Googling for this came up with a bunch of RL accounts of the IRA doing this but not the movie.

Is it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacefire_(film)

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Hello, thread. This movie has been a mystery to me for years, and I know you guys will have the answer.

This movie had to have come out in the late 80's/early 90s, as I was a kid when I saw it, and it was about two kidnappers who were hired to kidnap a kid and take him... Somewhere. One kidnapped was younger, and brutish, and treats the kid like crap, and the other kidnapper, was an older guy, and nicer. The movie seemed to take place in the deserts of southern California. Towards the end the younger kidnapper gets killed trying to kill the kid, I want to say being crushed by the rocker of an oil drill, and the movie ends with the older kidnapper surrounded by cops, holding the kid at gunpoint. The kidnapper asks "Whats your name kid?" and when the kid tells him, he smiles, and then man shoots himself.

Any ideas?

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
That's definitely Cohen and Tate.
https://imdb.com/title/tt0097074/

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I knew you guys would pull through! Thank you so much!

Looks Like A Camaro
Oct 26, 2007

That one is too recent , although it has kneecapping and a lot of the same elements. I remember watching this movie along with Trainspotting on a channel which stopped playing eclectic/world cinema by the mid-2000s, and switched over to all syndicated shows/blockbusters. I also remember living in my old apartment at the time and that could have been no later than summer 2003.

For what it's worth there's more than one female characters in the group of friends. I'm again tempted to say that the joyriding is not the main plotline, it's just something they do in between other normal teenage partying/relationships. The main guy has this one girlfriend and they fight/break up and he has sex with the short haired girl in a car, right before she gets tarred and feathered.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

A great movie! Highly recommend it to anyone intrigued by the description.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

codyclarke posted:

A great movie! Highly recommend it to anyone intrigued by the description.

By Eric Red, of The Hitcher fame.

On the other hand, it stars Adam Baldwin.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That one is too recent , although it has kneecapping and a lot of the same elements. I remember watching this movie along with Trainspotting on a channel which stopped playing eclectic/world cinema by the mid-2000s, and switched over to all syndicated shows/blockbusters. I also remember living in my old apartment at the time and that could have been no later than summer 2003.

For what it's worth there's more than one female characters in the group of friends. I'm again tempted to say that the joyriding is not the main plotline, it's just something they do in between other normal teenage partying/relationships. The main guy has this one girlfriend and they fight/break up and he has sex with the short haired girl in a car, right before she gets tarred and feathered.

I think I found it - it's a 1992 TV movie called You, Me & Marley. The tarring and kneecapping starts around an hour and three minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ3Xhi6xcc8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I believe it was a clip from an Icelandic movie I saw. Wanna say early 2000s. About a gamer girl or girl trying to get into games and goes to a game store and all the guys are like "bwuuuuh" cuz she's a girl who games

She's blonde

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
That could describe a ton of different movies, but there is a scene like this in The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUksDJCijw&t=10m40s

The whole thing is hilarious by the way.

Looks Like A Camaro
Oct 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think I found it - it's a 1992 TV movie called You, Me & Marley. The tarring and kneecapping starts around an hour and three minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ3Xhi6xcc8

Wow, great work! That's definitely it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Duck_King posted:

That could describe a ton of different movies, but there is a scene like this in The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUksDJCijw&t=10m40s

The whole thing is hilarious by the way.

not that one. It was definitely Icelandic/Scandi

and the woman lingers around the storefront a while as the goons stare at her