Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

All companies will be gobbled up by the big ones eventually

Why allow them to do their thing when you can just buy them and force them to do your thing?

By market cap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

An underrated little gem of a film that. Could do with some more ones about corporate espionage pricks loving each other over.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I once overheard an American tourist talking about her vacation time. It was 10 days per year. Her friend, a local, was appalled and asked how she could deal with that. Her answer: "It's a different attitude back in the US. People don't want to take much so time off, people kind of define themselves by it, work is who you are." The subject was quickly changed.

I wanted to shake that moron by the shoulders

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

holy jesus mary and joseph the mathematical "logic" on this makes me want to die (almost as much as the sentiment therein)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'm the math

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Wtf. I've got 1820 work hours not counting sick leave and vacation.

Dude must have transposed work days amd work hours. That's bad accounting.hack fraud capitalist right there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spatial posted:

I once overheard an American tourist talking about her vacation time. It was 10 days per year. Her friend, a local, was appalled and asked how she could deal with that. Her answer: "It's a different attitude back in the US. People don't want to take much so time off, people kind of define themselves by it, work is who you are." The subject was quickly changed.

I wanted to shake that moron by the shoulders

As a dumbass American I can confirm.
So many people have been convinced that taking any time off is a sign of weakness. Work is something to be proud of, not just a vehicle for paying your bills.
If you have a job that really is great and benefits the world, be proud as hell.

buuuuut you work admin in an office. The world will not notice if you take a day, week or maybe even a month off.

This attitude makes things worse because people won't take sick days even if they are paid. So they come in under some odd sense of need and get everyone else sick.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

So many people have been convinced that taking any time off is a sign of weakness. Work is something to be proud of, not just a vehicle for paying your bills.

It's no coincidence, it's decades of propaganda teaching us that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

And boomers wonder why millennials find communism so intriguing

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

If you have a job that really is great and benefits the world, be proud as hell.

buuuuut you work admin in an office. The world will not notice if you take a day, week or maybe even a month off.

This attitude makes things worse because people won't take sick days even if they are paid. So they come in under some odd sense of need and get everyone else sick.

I've mentioned it somewhere before but my old job encouraged managers to use their vacation time to pad their average hours worked per week (we were salary) rather than actually take time off, and a lot of people did it. Someone told me I needed to do that one year cuz I had like 48.5 average hours a week instead of 50 and I was like "hm nah I'm gonna take my vacation time"

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

I go in full hazmat during flu season

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You've gotta work every day and past your end time off the clock if you wanna climb up that corporate pole and get promoted.

And come to work sick because sick time isn't a thing you get at most jobs. Of course some jobs it's illegal to go to with the flu but what are you going to do the rent is due next pay and you can't afford to take off?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah you'd think cooks at least would be given paid sick leave but lol nah

Homie can't afford a single day off work slash will be fired slash is called a bitch so he's there sniffling while handling your food.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
My american experience with others right at my age is that we all tend to feel that jobs are absolutely a vehicle for making the bills. That's 40, or the rear end end of gen x. Older Xers are on a spectrum of that, I think their more extended and easier access to the work force puts them closer to boomer ideas of work identity. Millineals are weird. I dont have a good beard on them despite the fact that they represent more than 80% of my coworkers. Seems like that have skill pride instead of work pride. And that they have little job loyalty.

I have personal work pride but I've been through so many poo poo jobs that I can't stand any flavor of coolaid. I'm told that I have a great work ethic by older supervisors. I guess that might make me a typical american when it comes to work.

Whatever. It's interesting to think about.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I took 5 weeks vacation this year, like every year

You americans are living in some sort of hell

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I get 80% of my salary when I call in sick

I get 200+ days of parental leave

If I get fired I get 3 months to stick around with full pay anyway so I can find a new job in peace

If I can't find a job I get aid from the government, at 80% of my pay for 200+ days

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

If I get fired I get 3 months to stick around with full pay anyway so I can find a new job in peace

If I can't find a job I get aid from the government, at 80% of my pay for 200+ days

HOW'S YOUR PRODUCTIVITY, CITIZEN?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
social democracy comrades

come to sweden, we are very accepting

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DiHK posted:

My american experience with others right at my age is that we all tend to feel that jobs are absolutely a vehicle for making the bills. That's 40, or the rear end end of gen x. Older Xers are on a spectrum of that, I think their more extended and easier access to the work force puts them closer to boomer ideas of work identity. Millineals are weird. I dont have a good beard on them despite the fact that they represent more than 80% of my coworkers. Seems like that have skill pride instead of work pride. And that they have little job loyalty.

I have personal work pride but I've been through so many poo poo jobs that I can't stand any flavor of coolaid. I'm told that I have a great work ethic by older supervisors. I guess that might make me a typical american when it comes to work.

Whatever. It's interesting to think about.

No millennials have job loyalty because no company has loyalty to employees these days and will not hesitate to fire you on the spot if the math works out so why the hell should we show any to them?

Zzulu posted:

I only get 4 weeks vacation, which I have to earn over the course of like 10 months and which doesn't roll over, and this is considered incredibly good benefits for the US :downs:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
poo poo dawg I get 2 weeks vacation, 1 weeks sick leave, 2 days of "religious/personal" leave, good and fairly cheap insurance.

I'm living the american dream!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

ate all the Oreos posted:

No millennials have job loyalty because no company has loyalty to employees these days and will not hesitate to fire you on the spot if the math works out so why the hell should we show any to them?

That's a fair argument. When I say loyalty I really mean giving 2 weeks warning.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Lol we get 38 days pto in my poo poo nearly minimum wage job. But we also have a horrible system of contracts so :shrug:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If I want time off, I just ask for it in exchange for not getting paid that day. Work saves money on labour, and I accept my decision to have a smaller paycheque that pay period. My boss accepts that I'm human and my job isn't my only purpose for existing. I know, it sounds crazy, but the world keeps turning and the business stays running if I'm away for a day or two! And yet I still have a job even if I'm away and they still operate just fine. Because they're not monsters who only value people for their maximum productivity levels and nothing else.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I've been on vacation since 2006

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

I have a job now where nobody cares much if you call in sick or actually use your vacation days. I still feel a twinge of guilt when I schedule a day off as basically every other job I've had has been all "no time off ever for any reason" as a culture. I find it legitimately confusing after jobs that give you grief if you actually dare to use your time off for any reason at all.

One of the new people actually came in on a day when she wasn't feeling that well at all and one of the seniors was like "just go home. You're a mess. Go get some rest." You could hear the confusion in how she responded to that. It was like "...go...home? Rest? What do you mean?"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DiHK posted:

Seems like that have skill pride instead of work pride. And that they have little job loyalty.

Sounds about right

Why be loyal to the job? The job isn't loyal yo you.

I'll do a good job because I take pride in my own work but aside from that if I get a better offer elsewhere I'm gone and I refuse to do bullshit to "help the company out" if it hurts my bottom line or getting home on time. After hours is extra pay, not no pay.

Some older people read that and say "entitled little poo poo" but that's how companies treat employees and it should be no different. Capitalism, free market, etc. Loyalty? What's loyalty? Loyalty is working 30 years for poo poo raises and a stolen pension? Nah.

O, I like my boss— He's a good friend of mine;
That's why I am starving out in the bread-line.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Jul 29, 2018

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Inzombiac posted:

I had to convince a coworker with what was clearly at least a sprained ankle to take sick leave, they were working as a cashier.

"Nah, it's no big deal I just won't walk around as much on it and just deal with the pain."

"You know how *Coworker's name* lost their leg right?"

"No."

"They ignored a pain in it and thought it wasn't a big deal."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Picnic Princess posted:

If I want time off, I just ask for it in exchange for not getting paid that day. Work saves money on labour, and I accept my decision to have a smaller paycheque that pay period. My boss accepts that I'm human and my job isn't my only purpose for existing. I know, it sounds crazy, but the world keeps turning and the business stays running if I'm away for a day or two! And yet I still have a job even if I'm away and they still operate just fine. Because they're not monsters who only value people for their maximum productivity levels and nothing else.

At my last job I asked for a day off and I was told "gently caress that you'll be here"

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I only get 4 weeks vacation, which I have to earn over the course of like 10 months and which doesn't roll over, and this is considered incredibly good benefits for the US :downs:
Where I live this is the legal minimum. lol

I took 32 days off last year.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Sounds about right

Why be loyal to the job? The job isn't loyal yo you.

I'll do a good job because I take pride in my own work but aside from that if I get a better offer elsewhere I'm gone and I refuse to do bullshit to "help the company out" if it hurts my bottom line or getting home on time. After hours is extra pay, not no pay.

Some older people read that and say "entitled little poo poo" but that's how companies treat employees and it should be no different. Capitalism, free market, etc. Loyalty? What's loyalty? Loyalty is working 30 years for poo poo raises and a stolen pension? Nah.

My boss is my friend he's such a good guy
That's why I'm out in the bread line

Eh, for the olds there actually was some loyalty going both ways but that was because at the time there had to be. Unions were actually strong and the labor market was such that you could literally walk off your job then have a new one a few hours later. Your boss probably wasn't a dick because he knew you could leave any time.

Granted those same people often are the boss now so all they see is young people not giving a poo poo about their jobs while failing to realize all the reasons why. "Back in my day," they'll say. Meanwhile back in their day, well, if you kept the minimum wage adjusted for inflation it'd be over $10 by now. College was like $600 and you didn't frequently end up paying over half your paycheck for rent.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Zzulu posted:

My current job gives me 10 vacation days (two weeks) plus 7 personal days on top of observed holidays. I'll get another 5 days in a few years (lol)

My fiancee and I were looking at moving somewhere abroad a couple years ago and lean on my trade skill as the vehicle for it, but we weren't really sure where to go. Then my dad got cancer and died so we didn't wanna leave my mom alone in the city since most of her family lives elsewhere in the country, and my brother had already moved to another state :smith:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
What's a vacation?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why haven't americans done a mass exodus yet

Why still live in your country

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Zzulu posted:

yeah but i bet you dont take an hour to poo poo/phone post while on the clock

checkmate

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Unions are evil and only look out for themselves. Your union rep is only out to make himself richer and won't ever do anything to make your work life better. That's why Walmart has their Open Door Policy. Instead of taking your grievances to a union rep who meets with bosses on your behalf you Kramer into the management office to have a meeting where you tell them what's wrong.

But Len, what if they don't like that you say? Well that's why they have a non-retaliation policy which prevents management from making your life hell for telling them your problems.

And if they do? Well that's why Walmart has a global ethics hotline. You can call and make a report that you're being retaliated against and they'll make it better somehow.

Oooooor you'll just get fired because you work in an At Will state and have no rights.

https://youtu.be/-gbEKy7eJak

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Cuz nobody has enough money to uproot, move to a different country, buy a home/find an apartment, and settle in.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

Sorry all our money has to go to remaining alive.

The real question is why we haven't used all our guns to begin a glorious communist revolution and the answer is pretty much just the power of propaganda.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Skypie posted:

Cuz nobody has enough money to uproot, move to a different country, buy a home/find an apartment, and settle in.

Pretty much. Our corporate overlords keep the majority of people broke and unable to uproot and leave.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

That's actually happening. Americans with the means to do so that are well educated but buried in student debt are finding work in other countries. A very real issue is that a lot of highly educated Americans are completely failing to find work or are only finding bullshit McJobs. There are other countries going "gently caress yeah, we'll take you!" I think Germany in particular has been taking in gently caress tons of emigrants in general while German companies are being like "ooohhhhhh, educated Americans! Yes, we'll take them all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I work 40 hours but I'm considered part time at my office. I am hourly and get no benefits. Yeah for being a junior software engineer.