Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
General question: I'm new to having access to VR (and have been obsessively playing Beat Saber, of course), but looking around I haven't yet seen examples of strategy games in VR. Have I just missed them, or are folks so far all-in on action games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Corbeau posted:

General question: I'm new to having access to VR (and have been obsessively playing Beat Saber, of course), but looking around I haven't yet seen examples of strategy games in VR. Have I just missed them, or are folks so far all-in on action games?

Theres a few, some of the bigger ones i can think of would be Brass Tactics which is an RTS where its kind of a whole board of miniatures in front of you. Airmech command is another, and Skyworld is another strategy game, I think more turn based.

Those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head that are full and released games, though theres probably some early access stuff here and there.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

This isn’t strictly VR related but I’ve seen several people in this thread post about Project CARS 2 who don’t normally post in the simracing thread so:

Alright PCars 2 goons. It’s time to resume our online racing fuckery.

:siren: Sunday July 29th 4:30 PM Eastern Time :siren:
Fuji Speedway
1959 Aston Martin DBR1/300

BE THERE

If I remember this in roughly an hour and a half I'll be there!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Oculus Medium is the chillest :3:

E: A popular No Man's Sky modder came up with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/RaYRoD_TV/status/1021858661776416768

Interesting to say the least

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 29, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Songbearer posted:

I just bought this last week, I hope I don't have to buy it again for VR.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

rio posted:

I got Skyrim VR last night - it is on sale at greenmangaming and they have an additional 18% off coupon so it was only 34 bucks. This game was one of the things I was most excited for in VR but when it came out I heard so much negativity about it that I passed considering the original price.

Aaand I was up way too late because wow is it cool. Of course part of that was getting some mods installed, one of my least favorite parts of the game. I didn’t even get past the tutorial because I’m taking it so slow - I’ve played through Skyrim a lot in the past but this felt totally new. I actually jumped a couple of times from the tutorial dragon.

The controls are really unintuitive on the Rift but I’m going to try a mod tonight that fixes that and install a few more mods as well. It really has me hopeful for the future of VR because if a game like this that I have played so much it feels this awe inspiring then I can only imagine how good a fresh RPG AAA title would be.

If anyone hasn’t gotten it and wants to, the code is EXTRA18 for the additional 18% off.

Same, I've been playing Skyrim VR a lot lately. Like pretty much everyone I've played it before, and it's not like it ever had the most gripping gameplay or plot, but there's something nice about just playing an hour or two in VR each day, seeing the sights and clearing a few dungeons while leveling up a bit.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Songbearer posted:

That might actually be one thing to redeem that poo poo game. The novelty of actually being there might make it interesting.

Edit: not if they charge for it though. After preordering the game I am very against giving them any more money.

rio fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 29, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

I remember in Abrash's talk a few years ago they were saying humans are capable of 120 pixels/degree. Still, going from the ~15 we're at now to 30 next gen with a wider FOV as well, should make a startling difference.

From what I understand, most people can perceive details past 60 PPD, but that's the point at which the pixel color boundaries are small enough that there's no 'screen door' effect.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

I just bought this last week, I hope I don't have to buy it again for VR.

You watch They are gonna pull a croteam and charge for the VR version everyone beta tests during dev.

Silly silly silly.

I’m looking at you talos!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 29, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo if NMS VR comes out I’ll never take my HMD off

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the goon that gave the trip report for the HP WMR I bought one too. Beat saber is a ridiculous amount of fun. What else is a must have in TYOOL 2018?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Pimblor posted:

Thanks to the goon that gave the trip report for the HP WMR I bought one too. Beat saber is a ridiculous amount of fun. What else is a must have in TYOOL 2018?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EchoArena/comments/8aytrj/echo_arena_windows_mixed_reality_the_full_scoop/

do all this stuff and play Echo Arena (now it's Echo VR in the Oculus store) it's the best one and it's free

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, Marvel Powers United came out. Has anyone put time into it? I played through the intro and a mission with a random other person and uhhh this seems not at all worth $40. Slightly janky feelings controls, combat lacks a sense of oomph, and almost nothing resembling a narrative to the campaign. And I fuckin love comic book poo poo. This is feeling like a return at this point, unless something clicks or certain heroes just suck.

That being said, it's always nice to see Oculus putting out games with full locomotion.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 30, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Boxman posted:

So, Marvel Powers United came out. Has anyone put time into it? I played through the intro and a mission with a random other person and uhhh this seems not at all worth $40. Slightly janky feelings controls, combat lacks a sense of oomph, and almost nothing resembling a narrative to the campaign. And I fuckin love comic book poo poo. This is feeling like a return at this point, unless something clicks or certain heroes just suck.

That being said, it's always nice to see Oculus putting out games with full locomotion.

Tested's review didn't really instill confidence in me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ1qDzkWQJQ&t=184s

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

It sounds like there's potential if they just had some better game modes and made some small tweaks. Like, i don't know what they were thinking launching the game with only one game mode over and over.

Give it a single player or co op story mode and i would totally be on board.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

You watch They are gonna pull a croteam and charge for the VR version everyone beta tests during dev.

Silly silly silly.

I’m looking at you talos!

Croteam's games are really fukken gud tho.

Also, I was really tempted to buy NMS at 50% off, but since they're probably going to pull a crotem I'll instead spend 60 eurobux on loving il-2 biplanes, because holy poo poo it's time to rip me some off by going faster walking in my VR biplane

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Posted ITT about a month ago about having to send in my Rift and being worried about custmoer service. After a lot of back and forth Oculus said they couldn't do anything cause the retailer i bought the headset from wasn't a authorized retailer and i would have to do it through them.

Turns out Oculus has this policy where if you don't send in EVERYTHING that was in the original package they won't even look at it. So there was some back and forth where i tried to get out of sending in my one sensor that came with the original deal cause it would take of a big chunk of paint with it when it came off the ceiling i thought (it didn't), but no dice. It didn't matter which sensor i sent in tho, any sensor would do :lol: as long as i sent in one, oh and please to send in the Xbox One controller that came with the package too or NO DEAL BROTHER

I was kinda annoyed at this point, but i sent all of it in. Nobody even looked at it i think cause i instantly got back a brand new headset, and since it was the updated deal i also got one extra sensor and one extra pair of Touch controllers out of the deal. All in all it wasn't too bad, just some annoyances and i can't complain about free stuff. 5/5 would break again

Did you get the Xbox 1 controller back, or are those still included with the newer Rifts?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

Croteam's games are really fukken gud tho.

Also, I was really tempted to buy NMS at 50% off, but since they're probably going to pull a crotem I'll instead spend 60 eurobux on loving il-2 biplanes, because holy poo poo it's time to rip me some off by going faster walking in my VR biplane

Agreed they are really good. And the croteam bundle on sale is such a sick rear end deal.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

jubjub64 posted:

Tested's review didn't really instill confidence in me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ1qDzkWQJQ&t=184s

Tom Guycot posted:

It sounds like there's potential if they just had some better game modes and made some small tweaks. Like, i don't know what they were thinking launching the game with only one game mode over and over.

Give it a single player or co op story mode and i would totally be on board.

Okay yeah I read more reviews and hahaha there's just the same level with different skins. Robo Recall is amazingly repetitive but everything about that game feels more polished. And putting so much faith in party making feels dangerous for a small platform (oh hey, how you doin The Unspoken!)

Also you can't re-do the final boss without a bunch of grinding? That's real stupid. It's like they forgot they weren't making a gacha game halfway through. Refund requested, maybe if they put in a proper solo mode I'll rebuy.

I really wanted to like this game too. :sigh:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 30, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

somethingawful bf posted:

Did you get the Xbox 1 controller back, or are those still included with the newer Rifts?

Actually no, i didn't get that back it turns out. I never used it tho so i didn't notice until you asked about it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sacred Cow posted:

If you know someone with a 3D printer, ask them to make you 2 or 3 of these.

These are great, by the way, that's how my sensors have been hanging for months. I don't think they have a very good angle to mount on the ceiling, though.

I did try sticking the whole sensor stand to the ceiling and it seems to be holding! You guys are right, sticking it to the wall wouldn't have worked very well, but it looks like it's in a good position now, good angle for coverage. I might have gone a little overboard with 3 medium Command strips, but better safe than sorry. I figure if you're supposed to be able to hang a large picture frame with these things, that little stand should be pretty safe.

Boxman posted:

Ugh, I'm torn on this, and I've reached the point where I have to make a decision about refunds after my next session. I want to encourage developers to make games with high production values like this, and it's kept me from refunding in the past. But I don't think what's there is worth 40 bucks right now. I will admit it's fun to dick around with the different heroes for a few minutes, and I'm impressed at the number of heroes they've included and liked dicking around with them with other people in VR, I haven't played much else with multiplayer besides Rec Room. I don't think they have real voice actors for anyone, but there's a bunch of dialogue and different costumes and unlockables and stuff, it FEELS like it could be a full-featured game...but it's not.

I've played two missions now, and each one was pretty much the same thing -- run around an arena, take out the generic minions that appear from thin air by spamming your moves, then fight a boss by spamming the same stuff. I played as Rocket Raccoon last night and I liked the "VR" stuff that was there -- he can pull pistols from his hips, pull a big shotgun from over his shoulder, and grab grenades off of his wrist, and either of the guns can be charged up for a different shot. But then the missions take literally 20 minutes each, and spamming pistol shots at enemies that don't react when you hit them gets old after about five. There's just no variety. And the aim assist means there's not a whole lot of opportunity for skill, either. I played a mission as Dr. Strange too, and he was even worse. Shoot weak lasers from your hands or charge up a larger shot, and target the ground and pull your hand upwards to create a stun circle on the ground that's pretty much worthless next to just shooting more lasers.

I really wish they'd have toned down the scope of this thing and done more purpose-built levels. If they had focused on five or six heroes and developed an actual campaign around them, with different uses for their powers against different enemies and to get by hazards and solve puzzles, I'd be a lot more positive based on my experience with the engine. It's a shame they settled for generic arena violence.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well, I hope they do what the unspoken did and add a campaign that can be played co-op or single player.

I'm sure they've been getting nothing but feedback on the repetitive nature, and they said they're committed to supporting it so, who knows. From the looks of the game it seems it would be fun as hell to play 4 player through a campaign, like L4D, or old arcade beat em ups. The same guard a power generator every time though... I just don't know what they were thinking.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone know which Mod/.ini edits makes Skyrim VR's melee combat weightier and more realistic? Could swear someone mentioned it but can't find a thing now

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Wait, it's literally "guard a generator then put the things in" every single time? I thought at least there would be different objectives for different maps, I didn't realize til just now that it was indeed the same thing both missions I played. Holy poo poo.

It really feels like they went all out for the first half of development and then everyone just sorta lost interest before the end. So odd that they'd put so many heroes and unlockables in, near-AAA graphics, and then just completely peter out before putting any thought into designing missions.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
A super hero game is all flash and little substance? I’m shocked because the comics and the movies are so deep and not repetitious at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

GutBomb posted:

A super hero game is all flash and little substance? I’m shocked because the comics and the movies are so deep and not repetitious at all.

Hah, that's a low blow, but there's actually a lot of substance here, or at least potential. It's a shame they did so little with what they've got. The world they've got could make a really fun game in VR! I was kinda blown away when I spawned in as Rocket and the Hulk was literally towering over me and even regular-sized heroes and enemies were a couple feet taller. And I really wish I could take him through an FPS campaign with his pistols and shotgun and grenades. :(

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Zero VGS posted:

Good lord this is janky/pukey.

With Revive, all the games do this weird thing where they launch into a "window" in VR that covers most of your view, but if you turn your head you see it's just a floating box in a black void. You don't actually have a 360 view and can't look behind you.

Games launched directly from SteamVR have propert 360-degree turning, however:

a) there seems to be some lag when I turn my head

b) there is some very pronounced image persistence (blurring streaking) from the display being non-OLED. But it is much more pronounced than other IPS screens like the Dell headset.

c) the headset doesn't seem to be warping the environment properly to account for the lens distortion. If there's a straight horizontal line, and I turn my head up or down, if very obviously bends to the lens curvature and warps a lot.

d) sweet spot is as poor as any WMD headset

e) probably the worst offense, the focal distance seems to be set really, really close

I will say, the $80 dual lens one is way more comfortable than the $50 version. The HMD itself is about 25% smaller/lighter. The dual lens uses a head strap that is basically a clone of the Oculus with the triangular back. The foam face pad has a much lighter density of foam than the $50 version, so it is much more comfortable. Both versions have the face foam stuck to the plastic with adhesive, so I carefully peeled the part holding my nostrils shut, and moved them higher in the HMD so they rest on the bridge of my nose.

The $80 version is actually quite comfortable to wear, however I am as sick as a dog from the visuals and need to take a break.

You did a much better job of articulating my first impressions of this thing (I have the $50 version) but I definitely agree. This is my first real foray into VR and maybe Subnautica wasn't the best thing to start off with as the first ten minutes of the game are chaotic with all the klaxons and poo poo but man I was feeling real queasy and had to put the thing down.

I think if you have the same exact head shape of whatever small Chinese person they modeled the thing on you can do really well for the price but my big noggin feels really uncomfortable. I have no frame of reference for the better headsets but it felt like more of a struggle than it should be to get comfortable and adjusted to the right focal point.

I think I'll try and find a more slow paced game/experience to see if I can acclimate myself to VR/this device specifically before throwing in the towel.
Even if I do manage to get there and really do enjoy the VR experience, it's probably getting sent back for a Rift. Maybe I'll drop by my local Best Buy and see if I can get a demo.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've read that subnautica gives a lot of people motion sickness, but you can ease it by playing standing up.

I'd say try thumper or legend of dungeon.

That being said I think I'm going to try and return mine as my PC isn't powerful enough for it and would need to upgrade my entire PC to get good performance in elite.

Anyone do a local return yet? How easy is it?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 30, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

+1 to the people who bought the cheapo Walmart headsets. If you've never tried a proper vr headset you owe it to yourself to go try a demo at your closest electronics retailer, there's a world of difference, such that I wouldn't really consider this thing to capture the vr experience.

Still, it's an impressive piece of kit for the price, but the picture quality goes to poo poo if you're looking anywhere but dead ahead and it's a bit to small for my massive noggin, so it's a return for sure for me.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Barry posted:

I think I'll try and find a more slow paced game/experience to see if I can acclimate myself to VR/this device specifically before throwing in the towel.
Even if I do manage to get there and really do enjoy the VR experience, it's probably getting sent back for a Rift. Maybe I'll drop by my local Best Buy and see if I can get a demo.

If you want to try a slow paced game, give installing revive a shot and try Lucky's Tale. Its a free super mario 64 sort of platformer game, but since you're just seated and using a game pad to move the character around, it doesn't really get less intense than that. Its not a bad game to boot either.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Thanks for the rec. I really want to try Euro Truck Simulator 2 but I'm not entirely at the point where I want to hack the registry or whatever it is to get that working.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ugh a ‘fault 03’ with one of my Vive base stations, now I have to email HTC and do the whole RMA thing - are they quick at turnaround for stuff like this?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Barry posted:

Thanks for the rec. I really want to try Euro Truck Simulator 2 but I'm not entirely at the point where I want to hack the registry or whatever it is to get that working.

ETS2/ATS should work with VR by default, no mucking about needed?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You need to change steam branch if you consider that hacking

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's a bit more than that to get good performance. Pretty much tweaking settings and adding 2 lines to a file.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=941488807

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
My frame of reference is "doesn't immediately show up in SteamVR" and "first few results of Google Search are some forum posts full of crazy settings" so if it's actually simple, great.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

All I ever did was set it to the beta branch and play it. I did have a weird sort of rubber banding effect in the game that was driving me crazy that I accidentally figured out was fixed by making sure the desktop mirror was running full screen. For whatever reason.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ugh a ‘fault 03’ with one of my Vive base stations, now I have to email HTC and do the whole RMA thing - are they quick at turnaround for stuff like this?

You might get it before 2019 and it might return in better shape than you sent it in. It might even work!

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ItBreathes posted:

+1 to the people who bought the cheapo Walmart headsets. If you've never tried a proper vr headset you owe it to yourself to go try a demo at your closest electronics retailer, there's a world of difference, such that I wouldn't really consider this thing to capture the vr experience.

Still, it's an impressive piece of kit for the price, but the picture quality goes to poo poo if you're looking anywhere but dead ahead and it's a bit to small for my massive noggin, so it's a return for sure for me.

I thought I had a big head. It fits me ok aside from the foam pushing me too far away from the lenses. It will hold me over until the next revision of the good poo poo comes out. Maybe a few more must try games will be out by then too. Perfectly serviceable for porn and Thumper. I haven't gotten around to trying skyrim yet but I'm sure it will be less than ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

plape tickler posted:

I thought I had a big head. It fits me ok aside from the foam pushing me too far away from the lenses. It will hold me over until the next revision of the good poo poo comes out. Maybe a few more must try games will be out by then too. Perfectly serviceable for porn and Thumper. I haven't gotten around to trying skyrim yet but I'm sure it will be less than ideal.

Same here. I can’t answer for anyone having a bad experience with it, but my head must be perfect for it as it all lines up really well for me.

Maybe it’s actually overly designed for giant American heads? Because that’s what I have.

Just picture Bonk wearing a VR headset