Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ineffiable posted:

I finished yakuza 0 and will start on kiwami. Any good advice I should know to start with? I plan to play it slowly that by the time I finish, kiwami 2 will have been out and go on sale on black friday/Christmas.

Don't leap off a bridge in despair when you fight Shimano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Problem is (and I was new to the series) that it will be like some time loop thing crossing across time on how video games are developed.

6: New engine. Lacking content. But hey, smooth graphics, autosave, etc.
1: Majima everywhere.
0: Substories...laugh your rear end off but antiquated systems. However a few of the most greatest mini-games ever made.

I dunno if I would say 6 is really lacking content. There’s not as much stuff as in past games, but there’s still a LOT of stuff. I really liked the reworked mini games. I do miss Pool, though. I heard golf is back in Kiwami 2?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I don't know why they had to change the reticle for darts so it's really difficult to see the center or make the buttons obnoxiously colored in Kiwami 2.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Play Kiwami on easy until you beat Shimano.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is Kiwami really that bad compared to other games? Why does it have such a bad rep?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Early ps2 era game design.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Terminally Bored posted:

Is Kiwami really that bad compared to other games? Why does it have such a bad rep?

It just has a rough start leading into one particular early boss fight and coming off of 0 can feel like a much thinner experience

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Terminally Bored posted:

no mark hamil

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kiwami’s not bad it’s just that 0 is so much more funny/dramatic by comparison. But Kiwami has some high points that surpass 0 here and there, esp the ending.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The issues with Kiwami mostly stem from the fact that it's still very obviously the first game in the series and also originally a PS2 game. Most noticeably the majority of the sidequests aren't interesting, varied, or funny compared to the later games. The boss fights mostly suck due to their regenerating health gimmick, especially one early on. Majima Everywhere is novel at first, but quickly gets tiring as he pops up more and more with multiple health bars.

Otherwise, it's the definitive way to experience the story of the first game, and a fine game all in all. But Zero is better by virtue of having more features and not being restricted to being a remake of an older title.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

man nurse posted:

The issues with Kiwami mostly stem from the fact that it's still very obviously the first game in the series and also originally a PS2 game. Most noticeably the majority of the sidequests aren't interesting, varied, or funny compared to the later games. The boss fights mostly suck due to their regenerating health gimmick, especially one early on. Majima Everywhere is novel at first, but quickly gets tiring as he pops up more and more with multiple health bars.

Otherwise, it's the definitive way to experience the story of the first game, and a fine game all in all. But Zero is better by virtue of having more features and not being restricted to being a remake of an older title.

My favorite part of 6 is the way they got rid of multiple health bars. Dudes are just overall way less damage spongy in that game. Amon was tanky, I guess, but he’s the super tough optional boss so I’m cool with that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Kiwami's Dragon of Dojima style was great, because as the later-game fighting was getting stale, that style was coming into its own and gave me a lot of new, potent options in battle. Really breathed new life in.

After I beat it I put Y0 back in to check if [late-game spoiler]the Dragon of Dojima style there had a lot of the same skills, and it does (notable exception being the Tiger Drop). That was fun because when I first unlocked it in Y0, I didn't really know what moves I had.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Kiwami's side quests as a whole are worse than 0's, but the one with Shinichi Shinohara is probably better than any in 0

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

curried lamb of God posted:

Kiwami's side quests as a whole are worse than 0's, but the one with Shinichi Shinohara is probably better than any in 0

Note that this substory was developed for Kiwami after 0, so they were already on a roll from 0. The ones that are from the original game are very noticeable (get me a drink, thanks. beat this guy up, thanks.)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My favorite part of 6 is the way they got rid of multiple health bars. Dudes are just overall way less damage spongy in that game. Amon was tanky, I guess, but he’s the super tough optional boss so I’m cool with that.

Uhhhhm... Kiwami 2 re-adds multiple health bars. Most notably to Majima, the wrestlers, the Amons, and Ryuji.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

widespread posted:

Uhhhhm... Kiwami 2 re-adds multiple health bars. Most notably to Majima, the wrestlers, the Amons, and Ryuji.

:smith:

Oh well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06PfLEQJ6Q

I think they might’ve changed too many things in the Yakuza 2 remake

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I would pay however much yen they wanted hourly to sit with shirtless Kiryu and you would too, don't lie

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06PfLEQJ6Q

I think they might’ve changed too many things in the Yakuza 2 remake

On one end, we might have tampered with God's domain.

On the other, getting drunk with the diaper guy seems legit... to a point.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I don't want him shirtless. I want him in that crazy mascot uniform kicking rear end.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Something I noticed about the Batting Cages in Yakuza 0.

It took me the better part of the game to figure out when to swing, and I got decent at it.

I started playing again, and I'm trying to get perfect scores in each difficulty. It sucks; I'm not doing well. I've gotten almost perfect in the first 2, but have missed ONE swing. Like... the last swing... it sucks.

But what I noticed is that Kiryu changes his stance right when you should swing. Figuring that out hasn't helped me get a perfect score; but I remember how long it took me to get the basic timing down for the low-stakes cages. Kiryu has a rhythm twirling the bat when the round starts. But if you look carefully as the ball comes towards you, you'll see his rhythm change slightly at the exact moment you should hit the ball. It works best for me looking at the ball, and keeping him in my peripheral vision. If his rhythm changes, I swing. IDK, just FYI

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Early ps2 era game design.
Honestly, most of Kiwami's issues stem from the mechanics they added to the remake, not so much the design of the original game. For example, Yakuza 1 has a pretty straightforward level-up system that doesn't require you to spend 20 hours grinding Majima fights and coliseum battles to make Kiryu's Dragon style worth using, and the boss fights don't take forever either. Kiwami also makes some of the original quests more annoying by heavily padding them out.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd rather play the original (or at least the PS3 HD edition) than Kiwami.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

And not take the lovely Goromi up on a date? gently caress that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Well yes, to be fair all the scripted Majima stuff is a lot of fun. Grinding the Majima Everywhere fights, not so much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Lavender posted:

Something I noticed about the Batting Cages in Yakuza 0.

It took me the better part of the game to figure out when to swing, and I got decent at it.

I started playing again, and I'm trying to get perfect scores in each difficulty. It sucks; I'm not doing well. I've gotten almost perfect in the first 2, but have missed ONE swing. Like... the last swing... it sucks.

But what I noticed is that Kiryu changes his stance right when you should swing. Figuring that out hasn't helped me get a perfect score; but I remember how long it took me to get the basic timing down for the low-stakes cages. Kiryu has a rhythm twirling the bat when the round starts. But if you look carefully as the ball comes towards you, you'll see his rhythm change slightly at the exact moment you should hit the ball. It works best for me looking at the ball, and keeping him in my peripheral vision. If his rhythm changes, I swing. IDK, just FYI

I really liked the way they changed baseball in 6, since you aren’t angling the camera in weird ways to aim your swing anymore and you can keep your eye on the ball instead. Mind you, I’m also a weirdo who sank like 10 hours into the baseball manager mini game.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I finally finished the climax battles in kiwami to get the accessories I needed to finish the completion list. I then discover there's another rank of weapon completion that I didn't notice. Turns out I need 30 more weapons.:shepicide:

Why is there one extraneous completion point?!!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Alright, finished Y6 and... yeah, that was definitely the most Kiryu-like decision Kiryu has ever made. But overall, I'm okay with this. I would have greatly preferred if way more older characters showed up, like the Okinawa yakuza crew, Aizama and Watase, and much more Majima and Saejima. Like, this series is already cheesy as gently caress, you might as well have went in full throttle with the fan service angle like how they built up Kiryu's relationship with Date over the games and now with how Date is the only few people that know that Kiryu is still alive.

But I guess I technically have Kiwami 2 left before finishing up the series. I have also heard that 2 has the best villain in the series, so there's that too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I dunno how I feel about Y6's ending A recurring theme of Yakuza games has been Kiryu loving off and trying to get out, and everything going to loving hell specifically because he didn't remain to take responsibility, in the game, it's pointed out that he refuses to take responsibility. So at the end of the game, after everything... Kiryu runs off and doesn't take responsibility

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Onmi posted:

I dunno how I feel about Y6's ending A recurring theme of Yakuza games has been Kiryu loving off and trying to get out, and everything going to loving hell specifically because he didn't remain to take responsibility, in the game, it's pointed out that he refuses to take responsibility. So at the end of the game, after everything... Kiryu runs off and doesn't take responsibility

Exactly, especially now that the announcement text for Shin Yakuza shows that once again the Tojo Clan is completely hosed, except this time there's no Kiryu to bail them out

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really liked the way they changed baseball in 6, since you aren’t angling the camera in weird ways to aim your swing anymore and you can keep your eye on the ball instead. Mind you, I’m also a weirdo who sank like 10 hours into the baseball manager mini game.

I still want a whole, fleshed out Yakuza Baseball game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

5 has the best baseball game because it was easy

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CharlestonJew posted:

Exactly, especially now that the announcement text for Shin Yakuza shows that once again the Tojo Clan is completely hosed, except this time there's no Kiryu to bail them out

Actually, that was something I was wondering about. When Daigo was like "we won't declare war on the Yomei alliance because Kiryu didn't want me to, we'll do the peace route as equals", even though this kind of approach absolutely did not work in 5, I was thinking "wait, but wasn't the Omi Alliance at the eleventh hour of warring against the Tojo in 5? And the Tojo has gotten its rear end kicked by goddamn Triads all in 6? I wonder if this decision will bite him in the rear end.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sakurazuka posted:

5 has the best baseball game because it was easy

Once you bought the expensive gear it was a piece of piss

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FLY LIKE A BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLY

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
To celebrate the new thread, what are everyone's favorite Yakuza karaoke songs? I personally memorized the words to Baka Mitai when I was at work.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably rouge of love

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

24 HOUR CINDERELLA

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Maybe it would be easier to list everyone's least favorite karaoke songs.

I think Tonight is kind of boring. Doesn't help that there isn't any insane fantasy sequence either. I guess it's nice that it appears in Kiwami since all the stuff in that game and 0 leaves you kind of conflicted about Nishiki.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

I introduced my partner to Yakuza by showing them 24 Hour Cinderella so that gets the top point for me. As for least favorite... I dunno, nothing really spoke to me in 3 (with the exception of Kamurocho Lullaby).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GANDHITRON posted:

To celebrate the new thread, what are everyone's favorite Yakuza karaoke songs? I personally memorized the words to Baka Mitai when I was at work.

I love the timing of our posts