Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bear and Amy Acker/Sarah Shahi are the only good things about that show. RIP Bear.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man I love Amazon Previews. They just sent me a survey to watch a few upcoming episodes of one of their shows in a semi-unfinished state and I really love the little peek behind the curtain. I’d go into some of the goofy poo poo I saw but if I get too specific and someone on the team sees this post I’ll probably get kicked out.

They’ve also paid me previously for my thoughts on The Grand Tour (I’d like to think I’m a small part of the reason they stopped doing Celebrity Brain Drain) and Bosch (I told them to keep on doing what they already are but to do better by J. Edgar in season 5). Oh and I’m also one of maybe a hundred people that saw three episodes of some mediocre animated show about a police precinct that they decided to pass on years ago, I don’t really remember anything about it besides it being terrible, they made the right choice. I can’t even find anything about that show online, oddly enough. [Edit: Found it! It was called “Murder Police”. Fox ordered 13 episodes but decided not to air it, and then Amazon apparently considered picking it up but didn’t.]

If you ever get an Amazon Preview email, follow up on it—it’s pretty awesome.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 29, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

actual bad news

Mu Zeta posted:

Bear and Amy Acker/Sarah Shahi are the only good things about that show. RIP Bear.

Better hope he never goes to prison

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd never heard of Sarah Shahi before POI and after X seasons of watching her mope and frown and be generally bitter it shocked me to see her actually smiling in real life, and she's like literally a different person.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sarah Shahi is great. Sadly in my head she will forever be Carmen de la Pica Morales however.

sad

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She as awesome in Life. God that was such a good show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

She as awesome in Life. God that was such a good show.

I miss Life so much, and yeah she was great in it.

Also this reminds me I should probably check out a couple more episodes of that Reverie show and see if it got any better. It wasn't awful, just bland as hell considering the premise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She was the lead on some USA show and the only thing I remember about it was that they spent a lot of time advertising it by talking about how sexy she was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah she was a court mediator but the show sucked and had the fakest San Francisco ever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

She was the lead on some USA show and the only thing I remember about it was that they spent a lot of time advertising it by talking about how sexy she was.

The lawyer show. Like one season I think. But that was during the post Burn Notice "USA makes prestige shows" boom and almost all of them were flops.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this! posted:

I remember when she was first getting more acting roles, like every other thing I saw about her and every interview with her had to mention she used to be one of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders lmao

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So this kind of sounds super ambitious:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/amazon-studios-teams-russo-brothers-international-event-series-tca-1202435771/

I wonder what kind of story It would even be. The idea of multiple shows set and made around the world all localized and tying into one global storyline is a crazy idea though and regardless of whether it would work or not I’d love to see it attempted.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always imagined the Russos were younger.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just finished up HANNIBAL S3. I'm not sure why people are so eager to have it come back again. Yes the performances are great and visually it's great, but I really don't know what more they could do with it. I'm not that interested in just seeing them retell the events of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, particular since it doesn't do the greatest job of incorporating RED DRAGON.

It always walked the line, but the third season really leans on the idea of him as a supervillain, which easily became the worst part of the source material.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/rcatlin/status/1023642052607631361

A hint of Netflix's opaque renewal policy

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Well give me tv.app access and maybe I will!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Well give me tv.app access and maybe I will!

*whipcrack* back in the binge mines slave. There's as of yet unwatched episodes of The Ranch in your queue

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

That stinks because Everything Sucks! really improved in its later half and I thought it was a cute little show. :smith:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

zoux posted:

*whipcrack* back in the binge mines slave. There's as of yet unwatched episodes of The Ranch in your queue

I really don't know how they manage to do it but constantly having to hunt for my Continue Watching list is really goddamn annoying. Even Amazon and Hulu supports tv.app. What the gently caress Netflix.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vanderdeath posted:

That stinks because Everything Sucks! really improved in its later half and I thought it was a cute little show. :smith:

Yeah, I finally watched it and it was pretty drat good. A second season could have done well imo.

But it did have a pretty slow/not great start compared to the back half, so I can see why people may have dropped it early.

e: ^^ yeah wtf happened to Continue Watching being the top thing? Now it's featured Originals and hen a random-rear end number of diff categories before I find my Continue Watching list lmao.

Then half the time the show I was watching last isn't even the first thing on it so I just use the drat search bar anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I really want to know the math behind the shambling corpse of OITNB being renewed through at least S7.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Continue Watching wouldn't be worthless if it dropped stuff so it wouldn't be filled with stuff I gave up on a year ago, and wasn't also filled with stuff I turned off during the credits.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

Continue Watching wouldn't be worthless if it dropped stuff so it wouldn't be filled with stuff I gave up on a year ago, and wasn't also filled with stuff I turned off during the credits.

I feel like it wasn't always this bad, just the past couple years it's been the most worthless feature. If I try to continue watching something the next day is basically the only time I'll find it at the front of the list lmao

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

esperterra posted:

I feel like it wasn't always this bad, just the past couple years it's been the most worthless feature. If I try to continue watching something the next day is basically the only time I'll find it at the front of the list lmao

I feel like it wasn't this bad because it was earlier in my subscription and I didn't have as much stuff racked up on there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean... shouldn't show abandonment be a huge factor in Netflix deciding upon renewal? If someone started watching a show and didn't return to it, they probably aren't going to tune into an additional season. At the very least it show they're not particularly invested in it, even if they will eventually return a few months down the line.

Having someone who might watch a show some day if they get around to it isn't exactly the business that content providers are in these days.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
God, Netflix's various interfaces have always been suboptimal, if not actively horrible. How are they so consistently bad at that? Is it because they have no motivation to do better? Does this serve their needs?

In particular the autoplaying of trailers when you hover on something for too long is godawful.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Spatula City posted:

God, Netflix's various interfaces have always been suboptimal, if not actively horrible. How are they so consistently bad at that? Is it because they have no motivation to do better? Does this serve their needs?

In particular the autoplaying of trailers when you hover on something for too long is godawful.

It's like second nature to scroll down past the featured originals the second I open Netflix to keep poo poo from autoplaying.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

As in "people who watched episodes 1 2 and 3 but didn't finish" or "people who didn't watch the credits of the last episode"?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How is this news or part of some "mysterious" algorithm or whatever? Seems pretty loving common sense to me. If people didn't finish a show they probably didn't like it. So there's your feedback.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

What about people who watch the trailer and go LOL NO like I did with Altered Carbon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao I just noticed the 'mysterious factor' part. How else are they supposed to gauge interest?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Listen guys, 80% of the people that tuned into the show turned it off after an episode and a half and never came back. Run me some numbers through your magic maths and tell me what this means.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

Listen guys, 80% of the people that tuned into the show turned it off after an episode and a half and never came back. Run me some numbers through your magic maths and tell me what this means.

Renew it for 10 seasons!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw all of Everything Sucks and regretted it. It's a big nothing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't recall hating it, but I recall almost nothing about it.

But I want more Dark, drat it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw all of Everything Sucks and regretted it. It's a big nothing.

It wasn't great but it did trigger my nostalgia heavy. Especially Tori Amos at the end.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

As in "people who watched episodes 1 2 and 3 but didn't finish" or "people who didn't watch the credits of the last episode"?

If it's latter, then that's something they need to fix on their end. But I'm sure it's the former, which there's no problem with.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Everything Sucks definitely triggered some nostalgia for me. Mainly I really related to being a tiny lesbian in a small town tho.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lycus posted:

I don't recall hating it, but I recall almost nothing about it.

But I want more Dark, drat it.

They did order more Dark so it is eventually coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

So it's Sense8 for straight people?

DrVenkman posted:

Just finished up HANNIBAL S3. I'm not sure why people are so eager to have it come back again. Yes the performances are great and visually it's great, but I really don't know what more they could do with it. I'm not that interested in just seeing them retell the events of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, particular since it doesn't do the greatest job of incorporating RED DRAGON.

It always walked the line, but the third season really leans on the idea of him as a supervillain, which easily became the worst part of the source material.

Yeah, the Red Dragon arc is a major stumble for the show (why does Freddie go from working at TMZ to the National Enquirer? Why does Francis work at the film processing facility if he finds his victims online? Why is he such a comparatively boring rapist/murderer?). There is a lot of good stuff, like Reba's contrast with Will, and the finale, but I'd rather the show end with Will only embracing his darkness to kill Hannibal in cold blood than actually doing murder husbands. It's weird that it came off of a fantastic adaptation of Hannibal in the first half of the season. Bedelia cut her own leg off to appease Hannibal because Will told her he'd bust him out and she's batshit crazy, and that's that. :colbert:

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 30, 2018