Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AnEdgelord posted:

I really like Slay the Spire but after my love affair with Isaac and Gungeon it feels a bit anemic on content. I really wish they had more secrets in the game, up to and including entire secret floors.

youve entirely lost me here, what do two twin stick shmups have to do with a card game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

rabidsquid posted:

youve entirely lost me here, what do two twin stick shmups have to do with a card game

Slay the Spire may be a deckbuilding game but its also a Roguelike which is why i'm comparing it to those two when criticizing it's Roguelike elements. They both have pretty involved progression through the game that I feel is lacking from Slay the Spire as well as tons of hidden/optional content that you just don't see in Slay the Spire.

Regardless though I have high hopes for the game since its in early access and clearly has plenty of content to fill out but I'll probably wait until the full release to revisit it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AnEdgelord posted:

I really like Slay the Spire but after my love affair with Isaac and Gungeon it feels a bit anemic on content. I really wish they had more secrets in the game, up to and including entire secret floors.

Yeah same. It's a good concept and I'm keen to check it out again once more content is added, but I had fun for a good 10 or 20 hours with it and only paid I think $6 or something.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

DangerDongs posted:

Goons help. In Modern Jeskai control, should I add a Jace along with my 2 Teferi. It looks like people are starting to cut Secure the Wastes for him.

Also, to remove the singular Spirebluff Canal for a single Mountain.

I tried this and no, it felt bad every time I attempted to land jace or even stuck him. He doesn't matter against enough decks whereas teferi is very relevant even on the turn he comes down.

Secure the Wastes is a pro finisher and cutting it is bad

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
If anybody wants a magic arena code pm me cause I'll probably forget I wrote this otherwise

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DangerDongs posted:

Never considered her. I use her in my Mardu Pyromancer. I guess her ult with Snapcaster Mage is still pretty good.

It also warms my heart to see a fair grindy deck like Jund when a tournament.

I just started playing Pyromancer, and was considering her for a maindeck answer to enchantments. Got a list? When considering Nahiri I wondered if I should also have a big bomb creature (probably an Eldrazi that shuffles itself back into the deck when it's discarded) or are you content to ultimate for a Reveler?

Do you run any Liliana of the Veil or Last Hope? I have 2 LOTV main and 1 LTLH side and sometimes they are amazing, but maybe they can go?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 30, 2018

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

The arguments you guys have been having the last few pages are really bad and not a good look at all nobody wants to have a dumb discussion about Craig Wescoe’s personal appearance or whether you think someone else is a good poster or how any of this nonsense relates to loving anything

Did you and a lot of the other posters forget you're posting on Somethingawful.com, home of FYAD, BYOB, YOSPOS and the former Helldump?

People are going to poo poo post and be idiots here as an escape from their normal lives. If you want like in-depth round table discussion go to your LGS, MTGSalvation or one of the other stupid Magic sites

Some of you new guys really are something, we're gonna be loving idiots here purposely or haven't you learned that by now?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Did you and a lot of the other posters forget you're posting on Somethingawful.com, home of FYAD, BYOB, YOSPOS and the former Helldump?

People are going to poo poo post and be idiots here as an escape from their normal lives. If you want like in-depth round table discussion go to your LGS, MTGSalvation or one of the other stupid Magic sites

Some of you new guys really are something
Naw, I just don't give a poo poo if you like Craig Wescoe or if Jim Davis is mean and nasty and ruins the Sunday you 100% wasted watching a Magic: the Gathering stream

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

Naw, I just don't give a poo poo if you like Craig Wescoe or if Jim Davis is mean and nasty and ruins the Sunday you 100% wasted watching a Magic: the Gathering stream

You cared enough to quote posts to tell everyone your opinions on said subjects

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

You cared enough to quote posts to tell everyone your opinions on said subjects

Stop being a loving pedant and talk about actual Magic: the Gathering related topics for once in your miserable life

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Some of you new guys really are something, we're gonna be loving idiots here purposely or haven't you learned that by now?

Ahhh. The days when regdates mattered. :allears:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey can one of the really terrible posters here (besides Angry Grimace or Sickening) change their avatar to Temporal Extortion or Phyrexian Obliterator so we can have terrible posters with casting costs BB, BBB, and BBBB? Our Grey Merchants would be really good at that point.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

AlternateNu posted:

Ahhh. The days when regdates mattered. :allears:

Pull up a chair and listen to our stories of the good ole' days

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Can we have a Thunderdome tournament where the only decks you're allowed to play are the Standard (or Type 2) decks that would be legal on your regdate?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Hellsau posted:

Can we have a Thunderdome tournament where the only decks you're allowed to play are the Standard (or Type 2) decks that would be legal on your regdate?

Fyck yes, I can re-live Astral Slide :getin:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So I've played about 5 games on Arena and wow this interface is bad. I just lost a game to it randomly resetting my stops so I couldn't do things in my upkeep, then 2 turns later it reset them again??? there's a button that looks like it's the phase you're in but it's actually the phase you'll go to if you pass, it's impossible to count lands because they're all in one big pile that's really hard to differentiate.

This is a lot worse than MTGO, a program I've never had to defend before in my life.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

i thought shitposting was supposed to be funny, not intensely petty and boring slap fights

if you're gonna be an idiot at least be one people can laugh at

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

I just started playing Pyromancer, and was considering her for a maindeck answer to enchantments. Got a list? When considering Nahiri I wondered if I should also have a big bomb creature (probably an Eldrazi that shuffles itself back into the deck when it's discarded) or are you content to ultimate for a Reveler?

Do you run any Liliana of the Veil or Last Hope? I have 2 LOTV main and 1 LTLH side and sometimes they are amazing, but maybe they can go?

I am going to admit I am not an expert on the deck, and I have been playing her mostly due to the fact I do not own a LoTV.

With that being said, she has been solid. She kills big creatures, she ticks up to a range where she usually doesn't die, and ulting her with Bedlam Reveler is amazing. I play her along side one copy of Last Hope Lili over a Mana Morphose or 3rd Terminate / Dreadbore.
The best reason to exclude her from your deck is to not have to play a basic Plains.
If I had both Lilis I would probably opt for that, but testing could lead me back to Nahiri.

In summary, take my opinion of her as a huge grain of salt, but do try her out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Angry Grimace posted:

Stop being a loving pedant and talk about actual Magic: the Gathering related topics for once in your miserable life

You could do that to instead of making GBS threads up the thread.

But sick burns are more important I guess

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hellsau posted:

Kamigawa Mono-U Counterspells splashing black for Execute and Cranial Extraction in the sideboard. :v:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Drawing 12 cards with Rishkar's Expertise and Ghalta - wow what a good feeling :D

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

DangerDongs posted:

Never considered her. I use her in my Mardu Pyromancer. I guess her ult with Snapcaster Mage is still pretty good.

It also warms my heart to see a fair grindy deck like Jund when a tournament.

I also enjoy it, because I need to decide to play Jund or Mardu next week at Nationals after I scrub out if the actual tournament. I should post this question in the MTG eternal thread.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hellsau posted:

I'm gonna play Temur Emerge and blow everyone out with Emrakuls

Edit: dammit I reg'd after kaladesh came out, I went on hiatus after that and don't know what standard looked like

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 30, 2018

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thanks for clarifying, 80s James Hetfield, that people come here with the explicit intention of reading bad posts

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

thanks for clarifying, 80s James Hetfield, that people come here with the explicit intention of reading bad posts

An audience well served, for sure.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Stop being an rear end in a top hat.
JUDGE!!!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Did you notice that this thread isn't in any of those subforums?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

An audience well served, for sure.

its so hosed up that the only requirement to be a top-tier poster in the magic: the gathering megathread is to not be openly sexist or transphobic

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

there's only like one top tier poster to be honest

as much as spoiler season sucks because of all the terrible card evaluation hot takes, it's better than the poo poo from the last few pages. I want some rtrtr

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau posted:

do i get to play with the rules at the time? because Mirari's Wake doesn't really work unless i can cunning wish for more wishes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

its so hosed up that the only requirement to be a top-tier poster in the magic: the gathering megathread is to not be openly sexist or transphobic

in the world of posters who aren't good at the game, the people who aren't visibly abhorrent are the kings and queens

Lone Goat posted:

do i get to play with the rules at the time? because Mirari's Wake doesn't really work unless i can cunning wish for more wishes.

Scourge hadn't come out, so Wake didn't really exist (no Decree of Justice) so you'll play Tog or MBC or UG Madness or proto-Goblins (no Warchief) or Slide and you'll like it! Not joking you'll actually like it a lot that was a really good standard.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Scourge hadn't come out, so Wake didn't really exist (no Decree of Justice) so you'll play Tog or MBC or UG Madness or proto-Goblins (no Warchief) or Slide and you'll like it! Not joking you'll actually like it a lot that was a really good standard.
Oh oops I looked at 2003 but not the month, it's hard to find standard decks for that era since GPs were always limited or extended or (lol) block. Wasn't the BR Burning Wish reanimator deck in that format too?

But anyway I'll be playing the OVERSOLD CEMETERY deck that won Canadian nationals that year hell yeah baby that's my fuckin jaaaaaaaaam.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

suicidesteve posted:

So I've played about 5 games on Arena and wow this interface is bad. I just lost a game to it randomly resetting my stops so I couldn't do things in my upkeep, then 2 turns later it reset them again??? there's a button that looks like it's the phase you're in but it's actually the phase you'll go to if you pass, it's impossible to count lands because they're all in one big pile that's really hard to differentiate.

This is a lot worse than MTGO, a program I've never had to defend before in my life.

I'm enjoying playing Magic again but after 4 years of Hearthstone the lack of polish on this game is shocking. The playfield is boring, most of the cards don't do anything when you play them, and none of the cards that I've seen do anything when you attack with them or use them. These are little things that don't effect gameplay, but do effect fun. The home page and card collection UIs are pretty godawful too. It's like no one on the team has played any other online card games or something.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Oh oops I looked at 2003 but not the month, it's hard to find standard decks for that era since GPs were always limited or extended or (lol) block. Wasn't the BR Burning Wish reanimator deck in that format too?

But anyway I'll be playing the OVERSOLD CEMETERY deck that won Canadian nationals that year hell yeah baby that's my fuckin jaaaaaaaaam.

Jesus, that mana base :(.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Devo posted:

I'm enjoying playing Magic again but after 4 years of Hearthstone the lack of polish on this game is shocking. The playfield is boring, most of the cards don't do anything when you play them, and none of the cards that I've seen do anything when you attack with them or use them. These are little things that don't effect gameplay, but do effect fun. The home page and card collection UIs are pretty godawful too. It's like no one on the team has played any other online card games or something.

You should probably look at tier 1 decks before judging the game from your opening Arena pool of commons.

This is a Standard deck, so it isn't nearly as crazy as Legacy or Modern and still every creature does something when it enters play.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-grixis-virtuoso-midrange#paper

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 30, 2018

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

DangerDongs posted:

You should probably look at tier 1 decks before judging the game from your opening Arena pool of commons.

Do all the tier 1 cards have entrance animations and attack sounds or something? Because I've got maybe 3 cards that have some kind of entrance and I haven't been seeing many more that people have been playing against me either.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Devo posted:

Do all the tier 1 cards have entrance animations and attack sounds or something? Because I've got maybe 3 cards that have some kind of entrance and I haven't been seeing many more that people have been playing against me either.

See my above link, and you do realize this game dates back to the early 90s and what you are judging is a computer game in its closed beta.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

If you want to play a non-toilet digital card game check out Eternal, they're about to leave beta (no wipe) shortly and they're giving away a shitload of free stuff.

If you have Twitch (Amazon) Prime and connect Eternal to your Twitch account you can get 33 boosters, a premium avatar and a cardback in a few days

Also if you've connected your Eternal account to Twitch, regardless of Prime status, they're starting to implement free drops for viewers and will do another test run on the DWD stream noon pacific Monday.

If you haven't started playing yet, it's free on Steam/Android/iOS and here's a referral code that will get you a free theme deck (and I think maybe also some extra boosters??) once you finish the tutorial.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"but it's only beta!" is a real bad defense of something, especially when the criticism is about things that probably aren't going to improve.

Arena is always going to be clunky because they can't change the rules of the game to make digital interactions smooth or intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

"but it's only beta!" is a real bad defense of something, especially when the criticism is about things that probably aren't going to improve.

Arena is always going to be clunky because they can't change the rules of the game to make digital interactions smooth or intuitive.

I can't tell if he is upset of the card quality of commons having no abilities or if the game doesn't make enough sound effects for him.

I don't fully understand, "most of the cards don't do anything when you play them, and none of the cards that I've seen do anything when you attack with them or use them."

Why couldn't they add more animations later? I don't get your point.