Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002

MerrMan posted:

Been thinking about checking out Blossom - or one of the more traditional healers. Positioning for Pestilus can be a little wonky when you have allies that dive and put enemies between the two of you. Followed, of course, by the call of "wtf no heals".
I got that a bunch yesterday playing pesti. How am I supposed to run through a raigon+destiny and catch up to your constantly back-peddaling-toward-their-spawn rear end on pesti and not just get popped. Maybe next time don't blow all your iframes/outs in 0.5s and charge yourself into the worst position imaginable in the process.

In those situations I use my Q for them and R.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Actually if your best character is Alysia I would do Pearl for a support. Her play patterns are kind of similar actually, and if you've got a good sense of positioning and when to M1 / E / R on Alysia, I think a lot of that will transfer.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hito posted:

Actually if your best character is Alysia I would do Pearl for a support. Her play patterns are kind of similar actually, and if you've got a good sense of positioning and when to M1 / E / R on Alysia, I think a lot of that will transfer.
Blood Priest is a way of life and Pearl is unbelievably awkward and boring to play in comparison.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol @ the NA grand finals

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Meta right now is quite probably the worst I've ever played during this game. Rook/Iva/Oldur is an incredibly oppressive comp for two dozen different reasons. Tried dozens of comps into it, nothing worked. Type of comp that makes you wanna alt-f4 and uninstall.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
yesterday proved that it's obviously an incredibly, incredibly strong comp, but what in particular makes it so oppressive and unfun? i admit i basically never see Iva on the ladder but fighting rooks and oldurs usually doesn't feel that bad if not just because they have so few outs and defensive options so you're at least able to like, press buttons against them unlike shifu and freya. is Iva the glue or is it just that random diamond 3s teams aren't really able to combo properly to make those characters work?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Both. Iva shits dispels in both directions + having a bunch of stun links and other softer CCs makes her both a counter and enabler to Rook. Speaking only really from the Rook perspective, that backline is difficult because you have no good recourse to deal with a well timed taze. Projectile is too fast to react to often, and you have to m2 or counter the actual projectile. You counter anything else, taze cleanses off all your buffs and you get stomped. You m2 taze? Not much left to deal with a tractor beam stun. Even with a good start the knockback on blast shield is a good enough peel that is a pain for Rook to deal with insofar as he can't really reengage well off that, doubly so if you get oiled at any point.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Countblanc posted:

yesterday proved that it's obviously an incredibly, incredibly strong comp, but what in particular makes it so oppressive and unfun? i admit i basically never see Iva on the ladder but fighting rooks and oldurs usually doesn't feel that bad if not just because they have so few outs and defensive options so you're at least able to like, press buttons against them unlike shifu and freya. is Iva the glue or is it just that random diamond 3s teams aren't really able to combo properly to make those characters work?

I get stomped so loving hard every time I try to play Iva in solo Q, so it's interesting seeing her in basically every BPL match. I'm apparently terrible with her.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
EU semifinals were sick, but a real shame that Rutha was forced off his Bakko and onto Rook, would be nice if they hadnt hosed up meta like that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Buller posted:

EU semifinals were sick, but a real shame that Rutha was forced off his Bakko and onto Rook, would be nice if they hadnt hosed up meta like that.

I was happy for Klerny, he's a good streamer and is awesome at the game. The LAN finals should be interesting.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Papercut posted:

I was happy for Klerny, he's a good streamer and is awesome at the game. The LAN finals should be interesting.

Yeah Klerny is cool but he still didnt respond to the disstrack by Gaydude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvqAFdTcC8M

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Buller posted:

Yeah Klerny is cool but he still didnt respond to the disstrack by Gaydude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvqAFdTcC8M

Hahaha holy poo poo wtf, that is amazing.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
The battlerite pro league LAN finals are live: https://www.twitch.tv/battlerite

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Joltz on desk is amazing

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Very nice games today

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Shoutouts to NA

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

https://blog.battlerite.com/dev-update-june-29th/

Hope y'all like BRBR in VR, because that's the new game mode. Presumably releasing now sometime early 2019 with automated tourneys and xbone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Get me and ahhpple beta invites

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Hope y'all like BRBR in VR, because that's the new game mode. Presumably releasing now sometime early 2019 with automated tourneys and xbone.

sls immediately abandoning battlerite after release would be really funny if I didn't really like it

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

muon posted:

sls immediately abandoning battlerite after release would be really funny if I didn't really like it

I joined up for the BLC experience, and by god am I getting it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

can't wait to play brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr, the epic new fart simulator coming soon

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Minera fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 1, 2018

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Reinstalled recently and wowza, they truly did it. All those years we were blaming Funcom for killing BLC... Stunlock really have never figured out what made that game good, have they

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleRite/comments/90be0m/all_us_west_servers_removed/e2pngj0

lol, just lol.

While I have your momentary attention towards this drain, may I recommend looking into https://zealrpg.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/Bloodline-Generations-1898705790381381/ as games to watch in development that are in the same/similar genre as Brite. The former of which is having its prealpha starting Monday, which you might be able to still join up on if you have a good social media following or got champ at any point in this dead game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bloodline Generations is a very on the nose name.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Bloodline Generations is a very on the nose name.

I know and I love it. the 8v8 team with 4v4 on the field + tag ins is a pretty interesting concept though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it'll be more fun for solo queue but the nice thing about really small teams is that you only have to play with your friends who actually like the game instead of guilting the ones who don't to play with you for a full stack.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

Dev Blog posted:

Starting with Season 3, playing 2v2 will no longer be a Solo Ranked queue option. 2v2 Teams will still be able to queue in Ranked, but if you are playing in League without a team, the only available option will be 3v3.

Live game, people

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Should have done that a year or two ago.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Should have done that a year or two ago.

I believe that's SLS's design motto, but that's secondhand

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What's the point of announcing this and not doing it? Shouldn't the season have ended weeks ago at this point?

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
well, now it's over, so... let season 3 be the era of 3v3!!!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Hype for the trial by fire that all 2v2ers will now experience

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
winning the most fun match I've had in awhile netting me the tiny tiniest sliver of league rating possible

i mean i'm going to keep playing because that match was great but god sls can't design anything but the core gameplay loop right

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
If the match was fun (implying well-balanced) then you should probably be staying at the league you're currently in. You should only go up in leagues if you're consistently outperforming everyone else.

MMR isn't an experience bar you grind up, it's a way of ensuring balanced matches

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Macavity posted:

MMR isn't an experience bar you grind up
It's visually presented as exactly that

My point was that seeing a non-existent change in my rating after winning a fun, close match is a let-down and it's completely possible to design an MMR system that does not do this (here it is: you don't take margin of victory/loss into account like every other game out there)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you had a very close match then your mmr is where it should be and probably shouldn't go up very much

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
i don't care about what my actual mmr is, i care that there's a gigantic post-match screen that undercuts the joy of winning 3-2 and makes 0-3 losses that much worse when you get a player with brain aids

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That's on you for letting a made up irrelevant thing like rank shake you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
Actually, I do think they have a point. Devs should hide (not make invisible, just not big/obvious after every game) your MMR and make it clear that the explicit "rewards" you get for playing are cosmetics/account+champ xp, not rank. I think that'd do a lot to keep people from complaining about this sort of thing and misunderstanding the true purpose of ranked play.

edit: i got to thinking about this and made a Reddit Post if anyone would like to discuss further there

Macavity fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 31, 2018

• Locked thread