Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spacetoaster posted:

I really enjoyed John Ringo

Yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Galaxy spanning science fiction war is pretty cool.

wheatpuppy posted:

Other John Ringo that's not completely cringy:
Empire of Man series (starts with March Upcountry)
Looking Glass series (starts with Into the Looking Glass)

David Drake's Hammer's Slammer

Tanya Huff's Confederation series (starts with Valor's Choice)

I'll check it out!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

I'm looking for a good, fun, science fiction book (or series).

I really enjoyed John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata series and would like something similar if it exists.

I don’t know who or what that is but the Bobiverse books are fun and not bad.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for fiction by women authors from the Middle East and Africa

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

GorfZaplen posted:

Yasmine El Rashidi's Chronicle of Last Summer
Bessie Head's When Rain Clouds Gather
Nadine Gordimer's The Conservationist

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Joe Hill wrote 20th Century Ghosts, which has some quite good stories in it, and then he wrote Heart Shaped Box, which has some quite good bits in it, and then he never wrote anything good again

What about Horns? (Liked it myself).The Fireman though....

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
horns works so hard at delivering emotional gutpunch after emotional gutpunch that it loses all basically all of its emotive power around the time that daniel radcliffe throws his grandma down the hill in a wheelchair after she tells him she wishes he were dead

also the treehouse thing was stupid and i never understood it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Bessie Head is cool.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

Yasmine El Rashidi's Chronicle of Last Summer
Bessie Head's When Rain Clouds Gather
Nadine Gordimer's The Conservationist

A human heart posted:

Bessie Head is cool.

Thanks for the recs. I've been reading Bessie Head's Maru which is why I asked and I really love it

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

GorfZaplen posted:

Efuru by Flora Nwapa

Sindoril
Jan 30, 2016
Hello. This will be a little vague, but I'll try to be as clear as possible. I'm looking for a solid vampire book not by Anne Rice or Stephen King, having already read [and wholly enjoyed] Salem's Lot, Interview with a Vampire et all. Ideally, I'd like something romantic and genuinely so with a good overall story in it, but if the romance is really good I can overlook the amazing story. Thank you.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sindoril posted:

Hello. This will be a little vague, but I'll try to be as clear as possible. I'm looking for a solid vampire book not by Anne Rice or Stephen King, having already read [and wholly enjoyed] Salem's Lot, Interview with a Vampire et all. Ideally, I'd like something romantic and genuinely so with a good overall story in it, but if the romance is really good I can overlook the amazing story. Thank you.

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Sindoril posted:

Hello. This will be a little vague, but I'll try to be as clear as possible. I'm looking for a solid vampire book not by Anne Rice or Stephen King

Let the Right One In

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

Let the Right One In

Yeah, this is way better than my suggestion.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

This looks like the exact list you're looking for?

Bloodsucking Fiends was cute/ funny vampire comedy romance, I liked it but it may not be the tone you're looking for?

I Am Legend is an interesting take on the vampire horror story but had no romance. It's great and short though.

E: VVV Good point, I just skimmed it.
The Quick - Lauren Owen
The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
Fevre Dream - George RR Martin

Lawen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 24, 2018

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

The summaries on that list are pretty spoilerish imo

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Sindoril posted:

I really like Sunshine by Robin McKinley, but I seem to recall it was a little polarizing when it came up before.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean let the right one in is objectively the right pick

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

GorfZaplen posted:

Nnedi Okorafor for sci-fi etc. She's American, but her work is founded in Nigerian/West African mythology/culture. The Binti trilogy is great and a set of very quick reads. Akata Witch is more of a Harry Potter equivalent but with the mythology of masquerades rather than wands.

Also, I want a book about witches, that's more about coven politics and poo poo. This is kind of specific, but I'm thinking along the lines of the witches in Sarah Maas's Throne of Glass series, where a lot of the book is about their internal power struggles or the Revanche cycles witches, where the coven is a shadowy organization with internal politics and whatnot. I'm having trouble finding a book like this -- does anyone have recommendations? It doesn't have to be witches, but more political intrigue in some kind of magical society.

foutre fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 24, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sindoril posted:

The Dracula Tapes by Fred Saberhagen, actually his entire Dracula series.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
Looking for some good literary sci-fi (loosely defined). For example I read and enjoyed "the glass bead game" and "the possibility of an island" fairly recently.

I like mitchell, banks, atwood, mieville, murakami, peter watts too but have already read most of their stuff (and wouldn't necessarily consider them to be literary authors).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Zekky posted:

Looking for some good literary sci-fi (loosely defined). For example I read and enjoyed "the glass bead game" and "the possibility of an island" fairly recently.

I like mitchell, banks, atwood, mieville, murakami, peter watts too but have already read most of their stuff (and wouldn't necessarily consider them to be literary authors).

Lanark by Alastair Grey is really cool even though the sci fi parts aren't as good as the parts about an artist growing up in 20th century Scotland.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Zekky posted:

Vladimir Sorokin - get The Blizzard or Blue Blubber. Day of the Oprichnik is much weaker and Ice is not very good.

If you like Houellebecq and enjoy genre fiction, you might like his work of literary criticism H.P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zekky posted:

How about Vonnegut? Slaughterhouse-Five or Cat's Cradle, for instance.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Zekky posted:

Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, Samuel Delany's Dahlgren, Ursula K Le Guin

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zekky posted:

Dunno about literary but two things that spring into mind are M John Harrison's Viriconium and Nick Harkaway's Gnomon. Gene Wolfe is there too.Saying as someone who likes mostly the same authors as you.
(except Murakami, gently caress him)

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 24, 2018

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's the best recent book about dinosaurs? I've got a hankering for 'em!

Like actual dinosaurs? Steve Brusatte's book The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs has been getting decent press. Have not read it myself though

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'm looking to read some fiction about modern day (1980s and onward) mercenaries / private military contractors. Can be any type (thriller, adventure, mystery, etc). Tried doing some searching and couldn't find much that fits these parameters. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm looking to read some fiction about modern day (1980s and onward) mercenaries / private military contractors. Can be any type (thriller, adventure, mystery, etc). Tried doing some searching and couldn't find much that fits these parameters. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I thought i'd throw out My Friend the Mercenary, by James Brabazon. its a super interesting non-fiction about a journalist and his mercenary friend/bodyguard during the Liberian war.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Doesn't exactly fit your specs but maybe you'd like the Nexus trilogy by Ramez Naam

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What are some good options for soothing books about nothing? I really enjoy the parts at the beginning of murder mysteries when they aren’t murdering yet and just spend ten pages on how they run a hotel. I could use some books that do that for the whole run.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

What are some good options for soothing books about nothing? I really enjoy the parts at the beginning of murder mysteries when they aren’t murdering yet and just spend ten pages on how they run a hotel. I could use some books that do that for the whole run.

My grandmother used to love Jan Karon's Mitford books, in which I'm not sure anything ever actually happens. (They're very Christian, but it's Episcopalian, so low-key and glurgy rather than vicious fundie poo poo like the Left Behind books.)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves series are easygoing with no ramifications whatsoever. They're not exactly intellectual, of course.

The first volume of James Herriot's books - All Creatures Great and Small - is a collection of animal stories with lots of insight of the veterinarian techniques of his day. I suppose the rest are the same.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The first volume of James Herriot's books - All Creatures Great and Small - is a collection of animal stories with lots of insight of the veterinarian techniques of his day. I suppose the rest are the same.

My mother has all of them and they're all pretty much like that. Pretty hard to beat as far as soothing nothing books go.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Ballad of the Sad Cafe & Other Stories by Carson McCullers
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
The Neon Bible by John Kennedy Toole
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
On The Road and/or The Dharma Bums by Kerouac

Also seconding the James Herriot books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I need suggestions for the BotM.

edit:

things I look for in BotM suggestions:

1) available as an ebook, ideally a free ebook, to encourage participation

2) Some sort of 'hook" that will make people want to read it -- either a famous title or good elevator pitch. Moby Dick is an easier sell than Typee.

3) A degree of accessibility (to encourage participation).

4) Something that does not have an active thread on the forum already (i.e., not Song of Ice and Fire, not Dresden Files). Nothing against those books but if there's already active discussion there's no point in making an extra BotM thread about them.

None of these are necessarily requirements but they're all helpful.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 30, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need suggestions for the BotM.

HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian, mostly to get me to read it instead of having bad flashbacks to Post-Captain

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton, or The Westing Game, by Ellen Raskin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

HMS Surprise by Patrick O'Brian, mostly to get me to read it instead of having bad flashbacks to Post-Captain

You have clearly already been led to culture

Rand Brittain posted:

The Man Who Was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton, or The Westing Game, by Ellen Raskin.

TMWWT was already done as a BotM a few years back, otherwise good suggestion. What's Westing Game?