Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I ended up doing them very late in the game and was just able to tank them on my first try. They drop in seconds to a fully upgraded nail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Finally beat Grimm after setting this aside back in November. Not NKG, though, that poo poo's crazy.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Thanks for all the replies about the infection, sort of got it and will hunt for more info in the game.

I finished warrior’s trial and the guy that was to be there at the end wasn’t. I don’t remember meeting him in greenpath as well (not saving - i don’t even remember meeting and interating with him..) and i haven’t explored deepnest. Am i locked out of the good ending? :(

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

cosmin posted:

Thanks for all the replies about the infection, sort of got it and will hunt for more info in the game.

I finished warrior’s trial and the guy that was to be there at the end wasn’t. I don’t remember meeting him in greenpath as well (not saving - i don’t even remember meeting and interating with him..) and i haven’t explored deepnest. Am i locked out of the good ending? :(

Nah. You only need to do like three things to get the good ending, none of which you can be locked out of.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Please tell me I can save Zute.

I've been dodging him in the arena for about 2 minutes now.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

tithin posted:

Please tell me I can save Zute.

I've been dodging him in the arena for about 2 minutes now.

lol at this fool who thinks he can kill Zote the Mighty.

The only way Zote can die is if you ignore him when he's being eaten by the giant vengefly in greenpath

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

Darox posted:

lol at this fool who thinks he can kill Zote the Mighty.

The only way Zote can die is if you ignore him when he's being eaten by the giant vengefly in greenpath

WHERE IS the giant vengefly? I went through greenpath after the Colliseum just to check if he's there and I couldn't find anything - I have everything up to Howling Cliffs mapped out

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cosmin posted:

WHERE IS the giant vengefly? I went through greenpath after the Colliseum just to check if he's there and I couldn't find anything - I have everything up to Howling Cliffs mapped out

You probably already found it your first time through. You'd have to go out of your way to miss it.

There's a second rescue in Deepnest.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you had your sound off and ignored the platform he's on by running straight underneath them you wouldn't see him, but otherwise he's pretty obvious.

He's at the highest point in greenpath, in the area where it connects to the howling cliffs.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

You probably already found it your first time through. You'd have to go out of your way to miss it.

There's a second rescue in Deepnest.

I think early game emotions made me go over it - "I have to catch that flying important character, screw this guy getting chewed up, everyone says life is hard for adventurers here"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The Fifty-Seven Precepts are some good comedy.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I missed him the second time through, after I already knew he was there -- I found him no problem the first time -- because I didn't remember where he was and I had sound off at the time. Didn't realize my mistake til it was much too late.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
I mostly play with my sound off so it's like hard mode (imagine finding Cornifer, boss fights etc). I do turn it on for boss fights where I struggle as I think it helps me subconsciously with some audio cues

I know i'm missing on a lot, but I don't use headphones so that I can hear my baby crying or my wife yelling :)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/composerlarkin/status/1023871977398792192
Ooh

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Goddamn that man makes some fine music. I wonder if the name/theme of that means more Lore in G&G? I hope so...

Also, I actually beat Grimm last night! And I got to the second-to-last phase of the final true boss, after never even getting there at all, also til yesterday! It was a very productive weekend for progress.

Then I just have a couple Dream fights and... The Path of Pain. :gonk:

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

cosmin posted:

I mostly play with my sound off so it's like hard mode (imagine finding Cornifer, boss fights etc). I do turn it on for boss fights where I struggle as I think it helps me subconsciously with some audio cues

I know i'm missing on a lot, but I don't use headphones so that I can hear my baby crying or my wife yelling :)

Everyone has their own lives to live, but it is an absolute travesty to play hollow knight without sound. It is such a strong point for the game and not just because of missing things from audio cues either...

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

cosmin posted:

This sounds genuinely miserable. The sound design is the best part of the game.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I played Ape Escape 2 without sound a while ago and had a fine time with it. Did I miss the perfect soundscape? I’ll never know. But we must play the hand we are dealt.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay so I just recently got the dream nail, can walk on steam, how far from the end am I?

Because I don't want this game to end, it's one of my all time favorites now. Better than any Metroid imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can do lots of things in lots of different orders, and there's entire swathes of the map which are almost entirely optional, so that's not a lot to go on. have you found any dreamers yet?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cowcaster posted:

you can do lots of things in lots of different orders, and there's entire swathes of the map which are almost entirely optional, so that's not a lot to go on. have you found any dreamers yet?

No, but I have the third sword upgrade, crystal dash, regular dash, and the ground pound. Also about 70% of the map explored, I think.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm going to give a guesstimate of about 50% based on the fact you don't have the double jump yet

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Feck I want double jump. Do I get it in deepnest?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no, you get it at the end of the Ancient Basin which geographically is beneath the City of Tears/Royal Waterway but can also be gotten to from Deepnest, or from Kingdom's Edge, if you have the tram pass (found in deepnest)

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I'm actually completely stuck, and it's so dumb. I'm in ancient basin, and I can't progress because I need some new ability or something, but I can't get back up the stupid shaft with the spikes. I just can't do the wall jump I need to do. This will be the 5th time I go back up to impale myself on spikes. It's such a long way, too. :( Help. Is there someone I can mail my Nintendo switch to so they can do it for me?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kevin Bacon posted:

I'm actually completely stuck, and it's so dumb. I'm in ancient basin, and I can't progress because I need some new ability or something, but I can't get back up the stupid shaft with the spikes. I just can't do the wall jump I need to do. This will be the 5th time I go back up to impale myself on spikes. It's such a long way, too. :( Help. Is there someone I can mail my Nintendo switch to so they can do it for me?

There's a double jump in the ancient basin that'll make it easier to get out, and there's also an item there that will let you use the trams to get to the areas to the side of the ancient basin.

Comedy answer: PM me for my address and you'll never see your switch again I'll beat the area for you.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

There's a double jump in the ancient basin that'll make it easier to get out, and there's also an item there that will let you use the trams to get to the areas to the side of the ancient basin.

Comedy answer: PM me for my address and you'll never see your switch again I'll beat the area for you.

With double jump, he can also get to the stag station and not have to climb out

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kevin Bacon posted:

Getting stuck in Ancient Basin is like a rite of passage. The double jump does make it a bit easier but you don’t need it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know for a fact i dipped into ancient basin and out multiple times before getting the double jump but what i don't remember is which entrance i was using

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you have the tram pass then it’s no big deal, you can just roll out to Kingdom’s Edge and head right back up to the city. If you don’t though, you have to go back up the shaft to the fountain plaza and that is certainly a difficult section.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cosmin posted:

I think early game emotions made me go over it - "I have to catch that flying important character, screw this guy getting chewed up, everyone says life is hard for adventurers here"

check your achievements. a very obvious one will let you know if you actually missed him.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

check your achievements. a very obvious one will let you know if you actually missed him.
You have to go back to the spot he was eaten and slash his corpse to get the achievement.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ive fought hornet at kingdom's edge and talked to her at the abyss after getting the shadow cloak. i have finished the first two trials and have a few nail upgrades and about 1,500 essence.

just not sure where to go or what direction to head in at this point. happy to keep grinding out pale ore amd essence, and get stuck into the grimm troupe but i know there are some items i need for the true final boss.

can someone give me spoiler-free hints on where to go? dirtmouth bench bug won't help

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

alf_pogs posted:

ive fought hornet at kingdom's edge and talked to her at the abyss after getting the shadow cloak. i have finished the first two trials and have a few nail upgrades and about 1,500 essence.

just not sure where to go or what direction to head in at this point. happy to keep grinding out pale ore amd essence, and get stuck into the grimm troupe but i know there are some items i need for the true final boss.

can someone give me spoiler-free hints on where to go? dirtmouth bench bug won't help

there's a boss leading to a special NPC in Queen's Gardens who gives you one thing you need. For another you need to awaken the dream nail which I think happens at 1800.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

alf_pogs posted:

Have you decided to go after Dreamers yet? Eliminating Dreamers does not lock you in or out of anything. It is only the item required for the true ending that locks you out of an ending, and it is the worst one. Furthermore, there is a very specific process of getting it; You will not get it by mistake. Go after Dreamers and explore the locations that you end up in, and polish off the areas you still need to explore.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

b_d posted:

there's a boss leading to a special NPC in Queen's Gardens who gives you one thing you need. For another you need to awaken the dream nail which I think happens at 1800.

cool, thankyou!! ive been too busy on the other side of the map.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Have you decided to go after Dreamers yet? Eliminating Dreamers does not lock you in or out of anything. It is only the item required for the true ending that locks you out of an ending, and it is the worst one. Furthermore, there is a very specific process of getting it; You will not get it by mistake. Go after Dreamers and explore the locations that you end up in, and polish off the areas you still need to explore.

sorry - should have specified, all dreamers are toast and first ending obtained.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there some trick or shortcut I am missing in the Hive that doesn't involve respawning at the lower Hive bench and then having to run an absolute gently caress YOU gauntlet of bee fuckers that whittle my health down before I get to the Hive Knight?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

There's a small shortcut but more importantly there's dream gate if you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

b_d posted:

There's a small shortcut but more importantly there's dream gate if you have it.

What the gently caress is a dream gate, bro? I have a Dream nail. Have I missed something here? *runs to google*

[edit] oh poo poo looks like I need about 150 more essence. I have been finding all the essence trees, but like, is there a spot I can get a bunch? Resting grounds Spirit Glade? That one dude fucks my poo poo up if I mess with anyone.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 30, 2018