Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon Copy
Jul 4, 2007
In the image of the Lord.
I've seen flights for a certain price on say kayak then immediately went on incognito and checked again and the prices were cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If there's a specific flight I want to take, like I know the flight number and airline, is it best to book that through the airline and then do my connect separately? I don't really care about the connection but I must have a 787 for my 16 hour trans-Pacific flight. So much nicer.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Only if you're not at all worried about being delayed and missing your connection.

Do the operators not work together? And can you not force Orbitz or some third party place to sell the tickets together?

Yeah generally better to book through the airline if possible, since Orbitz/whoever generally have worse customer service than the airline itself, unless it's some budget airline in a poor country... in which case they're probably not listed on Orbitz/Expedia/Whatever anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I found a full booking on Hipmunk already, just thinking about cheaper. One way CTU -> DAY on anything from August 26-29, but the first flight is the United 8 flight from CTU to SFO. The one I found is $1,300 which I guess isn't crazy but it is a couple hundred more than I usually spend trans-Pacific. Maybe since it's one-way.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 15, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good sites (JAL, United etc.) usually show multiple options including different layovers and plane models.
I recently rode one of the new American planes with the digital windows and mega good tv console with built-in international chargers, it was Very Good (I watched three movies with subtitles and no headphones because kids, lol.)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Where is the unprotected connection and how long would you have? CTU only has one UA flight so any issues would have you likely routing through PEK on Air China, so a careful consideration of many factors is warranted.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I just went ahead and booked it already, doubt I'd find much cheaper than $1300. I got the last seat at the bulkhead for all dat legroom so I'm good.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grand Fromage posted:

I just went ahead and booked it already, doubt I'd find much cheaper than $1300. I got the last seat at the bulkhead for all dat legroom so I'm good.

Enjoy your rampage.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm going to Europe in July, found a flight from Atlanta to Paris for 280 one way. Still have to grab a return but I'm flexible, can't find anything even close to this deal for returns from any of the cheaper cities to fly out of from Europe.

The airlines taking me to Paris are Spirit and Primera. I've never heard of these guys. Am I going to die?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Spirit is pretty well known as the worst airline imaginable.

It is mostly misplaced expectations that get them this reputation - if you go in expecting to be on the equivalent of the Greyhound Bus of the skies, you will be pleasantly surprised at how nice it is. No free food, no free booze, pay for luggage (up to and including carryon), pay for seat assignment... pay for everything.

That said, you paid $280 to fly to Paris. Some people pay more than that to fly to Dallas. And they end up in Texas.

There is a huge fare sale today (as of a few hours ago). R/Ts are generally cheaper than one way. Check again now.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm going to Europe in July, found a flight from Atlanta to Paris for 280 one way. Still have to grab a return but I'm flexible, can't find anything even close to this deal for returns from any of the cheaper cities to fly out of from Europe.

The airlines taking me to Paris are Spirit and Primera. I've never heard of these guys. Am I going to die?

While $280 for a flight from Atlanta to Paris is a great deal, you've done boned yourself since one-way tickets are typically in the range of 75-150% of the price of a round-trip trans-Atlantic flight, with I'd guess an average around 90-110%. You can use Google Flights to explore the cheapest routes back, but there are veerrrry few options from a couple possible cities (see below). But just for reference, in July you can get a round-trip direct Paris<->Atlanta for $1100 (or direct nonstop for $1300). The cheapest one-way return is $1000, and it's 15 hours and requires changing in Iceland and in Boston with an ultra-tight connection.

Fortunately, you're not "going to die" because all airlines have to get safety certifications even if they're lovely airlines like Spirit, but uh... unfortunately, your savings on the one-way to Paris are going to be completely mooted as you'll need to pay for the cost of a whole new round-trip ticket.

Moral of the story: don't buy a one-way intercontinental ticket unless you have no intention of coming back. There's a very slim chance that, if you follow secretflying.com, you might get an advertisement for one-way tickets, but since you want it in the height of travel season, and you have a specific return destination in mind... you're super unlikely to find such a thing.

E: Playing around more, the best I see is back from Amsterdam for $550 on 27 July, even though it's a pretty awful flight with 2 changes and 21 hours. I don't see any other city that even comes close to that price, nearly every other city or date's cheapest flight is 900+, and it's only 20 and 27 July from Amsterdam that are cheap so I bet it's some temporary deal. Oslo and Copenhagen are also cheap airports generally and only slightly more expensive than Amsterdam, but neither is on your way and both are expensive cities, so the savings on the return ticket would be negated by having to get there in the first place.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 24, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You're already a ghost an Spirit Airlines is taking you on a one-way trip to a slightly prettier Hell.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Saladman posted:

While $280 for a flight from Atlanta to Paris is a great deal, you've done boned yourself since one-way tickets are typically in the range of 75-150% of the price of a round-trip trans-Atlantic flight, with I'd guess an average around 90-110%. You can use Google Flights to explore the cheapest routes back, but there are veerrrry few options from a couple possible cities (see below). But just for reference, in July you can get a round-trip direct Paris<->Atlanta for $1100 (or direct nonstop for $1300). The cheapest one-way return is $1000, and it's 15 hours and requires changing in Iceland and in Boston with an ultra-tight connection.

Fortunately, you're not "going to die" because all airlines have to get safety certifications even if they're lovely airlines like Spirit, but uh... unfortunately, your savings on the one-way to Paris are going to be completely mooted as you'll need to pay for the cost of a whole new round-trip ticket.

Moral of the story: don't buy a one-way intercontinental ticket unless you have no intention of coming back. There's a very slim chance that, if you follow secretflying.com, you might get an advertisement for one-way tickets, but since you want it in the height of travel season, and you have a specific return destination in mind... you're super unlikely to find such a thing.

E: Playing around more, the best I see is back from Amsterdam for $550 on 27 July, even though it's a pretty awful flight with 2 changes and 21 hours. I don't see any other city that even comes close to that price, nearly every other city or date's cheapest flight is 900+, and it's only 20 and 27 July from Amsterdam that are cheap so I bet it's some temporary deal. Oslo and Copenhagen are also cheap airports generally and only slightly more expensive than Amsterdam, but neither is on your way and both are expensive cities, so the savings on the return ticket would be negated by having to get there in the first place.

Im going to Seattle afterwards and this is the ticket I'm thinking of, havn't jumped on it yet though. http://skipl.ag/fky2

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Im going to Seattle afterwards and this is the ticket I'm thinking of, havn't jumped on it yet though. http://skipl.ag/fky2

Huh, I didn't know that Norwegian Air Shuttle added LGW as a hub but apparently that happened a couple years ago. Previously you had to go to Scandinavia to find any LCCs that flew trans-Atlantic.

That looks like a pretty solid ticket price and itinerary then; $800 for an open-jaw round-trip is pretty much the best you could ever hope for, so good job! The only major downside is that if you're taller than about 5'10'' or you're going to have to saw off your legs to fit into those flights. If you're shorter than that, then at least you can snort crushed-up $100 bills with all your flight cost savings to dull the discomfort.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm planning a trip NYC -> Beijing -> Okinawa -> NYC. Approximately Dec 21, Dec 28, Jan 5. Also a flight inside china, but that sounds like a thing you just buy the day of.

For visa reasons, connections must be in US, Canada, Japan, or China. I'd like to book directly with an airline. I've been able to find reasonable flights on Google or Kayak on JAL or China Eastern, but when I go to actually book the flight, I get an error about it being a flight they can't sell, or their site just doesn't show multi-city stuff.

Do I need to buy with one of the travel sites? They seem willing to sell it to me, but I don't want to get screwed by a missed connection or something.

Or should I go to a real-live travel agent? They might also have the benefit of a confirmed reservation that I don't have to pay for up front, so we can get our visas set before being out a bunch of money.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ANA should have a lil link for multi-city flights. Okinawa has some international flights, but you'll probably have to transfer in Japan. Domestic flights only need check-in 30 minutes before departure, and don't even check ID, lol. You might need to futz around with bus transfers from Narita-Haneda or KIX-Itami.

Try NYC - Beijing - KIX - Naha - KIX - NYC.
KIX-Naha-KIX could be on a cheapo airline like Vanilla or Peach.
Are you visiting someone in Okinawa? I'm sorry to say that they still have winter there, you can't go swimming in December without a wetsuit.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
You have a week between each leg; you're probably relatively safe to book each leg of the trip as a one-way flight (or flights when there's a connection). The flights that we (or at least I) usually get nervous about are where someone books a flight to be in say LAX at 5pm and then connect to a 9pm flight on a different reservation & airline that same day. The downside to purchasing legs separately is that if something goes wrong with the first leg and you want to cancel the entire trip you won't be able to cancel the next two legs where that would be possible with them all on the same itinerary.

You'll also want to have details of all your flights on all legs available when checking in and when clearing passport control since some countries want to see proof you have the means/intent to leave the country and don't plan to stay indefinitely and they'll potentially see your itinerary is a one-way flight to their country.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Beijing layover without tourist visa is 72 hours?? so you'll save some money and headaches if you can keep that leg of your trip short.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

peanut posted:

Beijing layover without tourist visa is 72 hours?? so you'll save some money and headaches if you can keep that leg of your trip short.

144 hours.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the tips all.

peanut posted:

ANA should have a lil link for multi-city flights. Okinawa has some international flights, but you'll probably have to transfer in Japan. Domestic flights only need check-in 30 minutes before departure, and don't even check ID, lol. You might need to futz around with bus transfers from Narita-Haneda or KIX-Itami.

Try NYC - Beijing - KIX - Naha - KIX - NYC.
KIX-Naha-KIX could be on a cheapo airline like Vanilla or Peach.
Are you visiting someone in Okinawa? I'm sorry to say that they still have winter there, you can't go swimming in December without a wetsuit.

ANA would let me search, and pick flights, but not let me get to any point that would show the price. Transfers were in Tokyo FWIW.

peanut posted:

The main goal of the trip is to visit family in China, so no avoiding that.

I also suggested we go somewhere warmer than Okinawa for week 2. Or, if we can't find someplace agreeable and warm, someplace that is easier to get to. My current suggestion is to visit extended family week 1, and then do Beijing week 2. It will feel warm enough in comparison. I'll just need to book NYC <> PEK, so that will be easier.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I'm looking for some advice on the following trip with some extra details I'm not sure how to incorporate:
Two adults NYC to OGG April 16 then LIH to NYC April 23.

We live about 10 minutes from EWR so that would be preferable to JFK or LGA, though those airports seem to have cheaper flights for going to Hawaii and back according to Google Flights lately.

I also have about 30k United miles and 35k Chase UR points but just searching for flights on the United site gives options for about 40k points per direction per person so those won't get me very far.

Would it be cheapest to just look for flights there separately from flights back since we're going to two different islands anyway?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A friend recommended the TravelPirates app for cheap tickets, and while I haven’t bought any yet I like getting alerts about stupid cheap tickets/packages.

Are there other sites/apps that are good for letting me know about crazy cheap deals from NYC to anywhere?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Scott's Cheap Flights

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
SecretFlying also. Probably has a lot of deal overlaps with other similar websites but I've found and purchased tickets using that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

HookShot posted:

Scott's Cheap Flights

Is it worth $40/year for premium?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So my Delta flight's copilot didn't show up for my 12am redeye flight and now I have to wait in Tacoma until 630am. Pretty mad. Can I request some compensation?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol you should ask the airline directly, you should also have proof of inconvenience (missed connection, missed work, cancelled event, etc.)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Snowy posted:

Is it worth $40/year for premium?

I don't pay for premium (tbh I usually just fly on points so I rarely buy plane tickets anyway, I just like reading the emails and dreaming) but from everything I've heard from others, yes, it is.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

peanut posted:

Lol you should ask the airline directly, you should also have proof of inconvenience (missed connection, missed work, cancelled event, etc.)

Yeah I complained to the Twitter because of long lines to speak to anybody and their Twitter offered me a $1500 voucher then soon after offered me a $150 voucher. I hope I get both of those but I think they just made a mistake with the first offer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does Avis allow people to pick from the lot? I saw something about their mobile app letting people do that, but then their site has something about a "Preferred" program to let you pick your car.

I really prefer to pick my own car from the class because there are some real pieces of poo poo in every segment and I don't want to deal with that again. I'm going to ATL if that makes a difference, I know Alamo has different policies depending on the airport.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I hosed up. Got a Delta Basic Economy ticket, with insurance because we were worried we might have to cancel due to medical reasons. Well, there is a medical reason - on their end. With them ill, there's no reason to go, so we wanted to change it. Imagine my surprise when I discover Basic Economy doesn't allow changes, period, no way no how.

1) Is there really *no* way to change a Basic Economy ticket?
2) Am I just hosed?

Edit: after a call to Delta the answers appear to be no and yes. I guess we'll see what the insurance might be able to do? gently caress.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 18, 2018

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does Avis allow people to pick from the lot? I saw something about their mobile app letting people do that, but then their site has something about a "Preferred" program to let you pick your car.

I really prefer to pick my own car from the class because there are some real pieces of poo poo in every segment and I don't want to deal with that again. I'm going to ATL if that makes a difference, I know Alamo has different policies depending on the airport.

With Avis it’s called “Select & Go” and is available at ATL. You do need to be a Preferred member and rent an intermediate car or larger.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Golbez posted:

I hosed up. Got a Delta Basic Economy ticket, with insurance because we were worried we might have to cancel due to medical reasons. Well, there is a medical reason - on their end. With them ill, there's no reason to go, so we wanted to change it. Imagine my surprise when I discover Basic Economy doesn't allow changes, period, no way no how.

1) Is there really *no* way to change a Basic Economy ticket?
2) Am I just hosed?

Edit: after a call to Delta the answers appear to be no and yes. I guess we'll see what the insurance might be able to do? gently caress.

I've changed a flight for medical reasons but my doctor had to fax a letter with a specific diagnosis and dates (I got pregnant and bumped my flights a few months earlier.)

You're boned. Is going anyway not an option?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I don't think medical reasons to cancel a flight would ever cover "the people you want to visit being sick" since that would not in any way inhibit your ability to travel.

Think you've got to suck up the lost ticket $$$ or go anyway and enjoy it without the people you were planning to visit. Alternately you might be able to deal with customer service to change the flight dates to a later time for a smaller fee.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So this is kind of a "just for the hell of it" search for information but I'm trying to find information on American Airlines flights between Miami and Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP), a Caribbean island. PTP to MIA is listed as a route on AA's route finder but I think it's seasonal only, and I'm trying to figure out what season it is. Ultimately I'm looking at MSP to PTP via MIA. On ITA Matrix I can make that itinerary and find trips on American 4471 operated by Republic Airlines as American Eagle only on Saturdays in February & March between MIA and PTP (when I was searching) but I can't find an MSP to PTP itinerary on their site. But I can search for MIA to PTP leaving and returning on a saturday and find American 4471.

E: Also apparently Air France has a seasonal route from PTP to Atlanta which would work well for me living in a Delta hub if I could find any real info about it...

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 5, 2018

asur
Dec 28, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

So this is kind of a "just for the hell of it" search for information but I'm trying to find information on American Airlines flights between Miami and Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP), a Caribbean island. PTP to MIA is listed as a route on AA's route finder but I think it's seasonal only, and I'm trying to figure out what season it is. Ultimately I'm looking at MSP to PTP via MIA. On ITA Matrix I can make that itinerary and find trips on American 4471 operated by Republic Airlines as American Eagle only on Saturdays in February & March between MIA and PTP (when I was searching) but I can't find an MSP to PTP itinerary on their site. But I can search for MIA to PTP leaving and returning on a saturday and find American 4471.

E: Also apparently Air France has a seasonal route from PTP to Atlanta which would work well for me living in a Delta hub if I could find any real info about it...

Are you sure it's seasonal? It looks more like it's only available on Friday throughout the year. AC flies YUL - PTP on certain days and AF flies from MIA - PAP - PTP what looks like year round too. Maybe Google is giving bad results but I was able to find all those in October, Dec, April, and June.

I think part of the issue might be that MIA - PTP is at 10:32am for AA and it doesn't seem possible to arrive before 10:32am from MSP on the same day so all the itineraries result in an overnight somewhere. For reference the flight I'm seeing is AA2297.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
So me and my new wife are looking to honeymoon in Italy next year, preferably around the Fall. Exact travel dates are flexible. We'd be flying from Boston to Naples, and are considering Business Class for the flight there (economy for the way back) -- is it possible to grab a business class ticket for at least the departing flight for $700-800 per person? International air travel is confusing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Without using points, almost certainly not. Business class you're looking at more like $1.5-2k pp each way.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 24, 2018

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone flown with Malaysian recently? I know it is statistically silly but I’m put off by the “issues” they had a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Avoid active war zones and flights to China, hth.