Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
IDGI, if he went all in shorting then surely the falling price is good for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Darkrenown posted:

IDGI, if he went all in shorting then surely the falling price is good for him?

The tweet is acting on advice from Elon Musk, so I think by 'explode' he means collapse rather than skyrocket. As such he went all in on calls instead of puts.

Unless Musk would actually advise shorting stock in his own company. That's some 11th-dimensional chess if so.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh, yeah, I read explode as going well.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
why would you short/put when calls have the most potential profit duh

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

We Bought a House With Our Friends Who Are Now Long-Term Unemployed - How Can We Best Help Them Prepare for When We Move Out?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/92vpq6/we_bought_a_house_with_our_friends_who_are_now/

quote:

We live in the UK, for reference.

My husband and I bought a house with our best friends to help us get on the property ladder, however since then they have both become unemployed due to illness and look to remain that way for the near future. We hope to move out and buy our own place in 2-4 years, and would need them to re-mortgage the house in just their names, but I'm worried that will be difficult if neither of them are able to get back into work by then.

What can we do to help them in the long term? They are able to pay their portion of the mortgage right now, though barely, but disability and carer's allowance will not secure them a good mortgage. Will the fact that the house has been mortgaged to them for a good few years help at all? Any advice or suggestions are very welcome!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ah ha ah ah ah ha h aha aaa h h ha ha

NEVER buy a property with someone unless you're married to them

Or maybe a parent if you're going to inherit it outright

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What is it with people and buying property together with friends, roommates, or not quite as bad but still risky, with their fiance?

I'll want to shoot myself if we wind up with another rent vs buy derail, but is it the idea that they can save on rent, live with their friends, and make money on it? I have never seen a success story come from that scenario, only either pipe dream ideas or nightmare situations trying to get out of it.

A friend of mine is looking to sell his home (only bought a couple years ago, sunk lots of money into, will walk away with not much) and his long term girlfriend doesn't want to rent- she asked to be put on the deed for the next house, and says she'll buy him a new car for that haha. I advised against it and said not to share ownership until they get married.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Moneyball posted:

What is it with people and buying property together with friends, roommates, or not quite as bad but still risky, with their fiance?

A lot easier to get that down payment money with multiple people!

I just don't know how people handwave away the risk that their business partner will just stop making payments and still reap all the benefits.

Mr Money Mustache had an excellent blog entry on his one failed real estate venture with a friend, worth reading.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Moneyball posted:

And not only is the scenario itself really sketchy, but if a bunch of unrelated/distantly-related people re banding together to buy real estate it means that they all have credit or income issues of their own. So if the other co-signors decided to gently caress off and leave, the remaining bagholders would be hosed and eventually get foreclosed on since their incomes aren't strong enough. When I worked at a bank these types of arrangements presented a bunch of red flags and the application got forwarded for detailed review. These types of mortgages were very common in Vancouver. I remember seeing one with 6 co-signers, whereas only 2 of the 6 were related.

Enchanted Hat posted:

Not even shares, they went all-in on options.

"But a celebrity on twitter told me to!"
Not even a "celebrity". Literally took investment advice from a car salesman.

I don't even like to buy a car from a car salesman.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot easier to get that down payment money with multiple people!

I just don't know how people handwave away the risk that their business partner will just stop making payments and still reap all the benefits.

Mr Money Mustache had an excellent blog entry on his one failed real estate venture with a friend, worth reading.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/02/01/mr-money-mustaches-big-mistake/

loving hell

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Oh boy somebody brought up MMM

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That must be a sincere Oh Boy on account of he owns!!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I like him a lot. But I don't take everything he says seriously because he gets a bit obnoxious and preachy. Same with Dave Ramsey. Well intentioned, not always right.

But bring either of them up and you'll see.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's funny to see people hate on MMM like he's the bridge too far. It's a bit, like any other play at celebrity.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Unfortunately for him, it's an annoying bit that makes it hard to take him seriously. But that doesn't matter as long as his target audience eats it up, I guess.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
And the criticism he gets for Going Too Far tends to come from people who could stand to take a lesson

Like that one friend who always whines "You take healthy eating too seriously!!" while stuffing another double bacon cheeseburger down the gullet

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
His frugality stuff aside, that was a pretty standard story of overtrusting a friend, not understanding how a specific sector of business is done, running into trouble / bad luck and being unable to weather it and then selling what you can at a loss to put it behind you.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The only people I've seen do the "buy a house with roommates" thing were people who were pretty much just trying to have their friends pay for their house.

One dude I know bought a 5 bedroom, newly built house as a college student 30 minutes across town from the university (with no good public transportation). He had 4 friends there living as roommates who were essentially covering the entire mortgage and then their split of the bills. Was probably a pretty sweet arrangement for him for the 6 months it was running smoothly, and then everyone started to move out for jobs or school or whatever.

This all happened in 2006 though, and I just looked up the neighborhood. New builds were going for ~$300k, and the most recent sales in the neighborhood now are in the $230k range.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There's a big difference between an individual buying a house and renting out rooms to their friends, and several friends buying a house together with all their names on the paperwork.

While the social dynamics of each may be weird, the latter is a terrible loving decision for so many more reasons.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Yeah buying it yourself and paying the mortgage with roommates is (mostly) GWM. It's like the "buy a house near your kid's university and save room and board/get other people to pay for it" thing that future guillotine victims do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

Same with Dave Ramsey. Well intentioned, not always right.

I've always taken Dave Ramsey as the AA/NA of debt. I bet he's helped a TON of people who literally can not control their debt spending, which seems to be a lot of people, but going on the whole 12 steps where you will always be a drunk so there is never any possible way for you to consume debt responsibly.

Once you start looking at that advice in the light of actual adults with self control and the ability to reason and delay gratification it quickly turns into a mess of suboptimal but still largely fine advice. I also don't care for the religious interjection, but meh.....I get it. What I really don't care for is the blatant marketing preying on his audience.

Moneyball posted:

Yeah buying it yourself and paying the mortgage with roommates is (mostly) GWM.

Did you mean to type "house hacking"?

:barf:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I have seen some customers of mine do the "buy property together" thing successfully successfully with a 4plex and a couple/ single person in each unit. This was in Portland just as things were getting unaffordable but not insane yet, and they had already done the same thing in a different city with different friends before. I think the keys to their success were a written agreement specifying how someone gets out, and the fact that it was a multi-unit property. I guess it was almost a co-op among friends sort of deal, but I don't know much about co-op apartments because we don't generally have them here and the bank I work for does not underwrite loans for them.

therobit fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 29, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And the criticism he gets for Going Too Far tends to come from people who could stand to take a lesson

Like that one friend who always whines "You take healthy eating too seriously!!" while stuffing another double bacon cheeseburger down the gullet

He lives in the same town I do. It’s expensive here. He could live in a McMansion in most of the country with a luxury car on the same total budget that he’s spending here. He’s not actually interested in frugality, he’s obsessed with the image of frugality.

He also says that people should find a home and two jobs close enough together that both people can bike to their jobs, which is A) unrealistic and B) BWM when you're limiting your job opportunities and pay to what the two of you can find close to each other.

I didn't care about him at all until someone in my thread tried to use an article he wrote as an argument for why I shouldn't move where I did.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 29, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think you can be a Frugal Person even if you live in a high cost of living area.

I'd swear he lived in one of the less desirable suburbs of Denver... doesn't he? I think I recall a blog entry where he discussed his choice to live in a much cheaper suburb where he could still bike to the trendy spots.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think you can be a Frugal Person even if you live in a high cost of living area.

I'd swear he lived in one of the less desirable suburbs of Denver... doesn't he? I think I recall a blog entry where he discussed his choice to live in a much cheaper suburb where he could still bike to the trendy spots.

He lives in Longmont. Which manages to be neither cheap nor hip. It's where Boulderite's who are priced out of Boulder live. Parts of it are kind of walkable/bikabke, but it comes at a hefty price tag.

And there is no such thing as a truly cheap suburb of Denver. Even our cheapest burbs, like Federal Heights and Commerce City, will run you over 200K for a home (and you're not going to be doing anything by bike there).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think he moved there a decade ago back when things were "reasonably" priced.

No idea where you're supposed to move these days. Pittsburgh? Cleveland? Detroit? Live out of a camper van in the parking lot? Wait for another bubble crash and buy at the dip?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Bhodi posted:

No idea where you're supposed to move these days. Pittsburgh? Cleveland? Detroit? Live out of a camper van in the parking lot? Wait for another bubble crash and buy at the dip?

The answer itc will never not be Des Moines

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

blackmet posted:

He lives in Longmont. Which manages to be neither cheap nor hip. It's where Boulderite's who are priced out of Boulder live. Parts of it are kind of walkable/bikabke, but it comes at a hefty price tag.

And there is no such thing as a truly cheap suburb of Denver. Even our cheapest burbs, like Federal Heights and Commerce City, will run you over 200K for a home (and you're not going to be doing anything by bike there).

Yeah, Longmont is cheap relative to Boulder, but that's about it. CO costs are skyrocketing due to Bay Area money moving into the growing tech sector, which includes companies like Twitter and Google. I guess if he moved 10 years ago Longmont was cheaper, gentrification hit hard. But it's still expensive. Basically half again as expensive as thread favorite Des Moines. It's a 121 on Sperling's Cost of Living index, although CoL indices seem to be all over the place as far as numbers go. Slightly cheaper than Denver proper, but only about 5%.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah but Des Moines and Omaha are the home of that secret child sex trafficking ring so they (the cities) can get hosed

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Do people who are still managing to crawl themselves out of massive student loan debt but recently managed to get themselves a job getting paid over the 100,000 limit still in danger of the guillotine?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Well it depends on whether you consider 100,000 to be a lot :can:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Moneyball posted:

mods

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Moneyball posted:

Anybody who makes a dollar more than me is a rich capitalist pigdog that needs the guillotine.

Anyone who makes a dollar less is a low-skill motherfucker who needs to bootstrap the gently caress up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I did the 'roommates co-signing on a house thing', but in my defense I was 19 and it was a $40k HUD home. It still turned out real bad. Don't do it kids.

Google street view shows it still standing. Not seen, the trailer next door used by street walkers or the drug dealers across the street. Also, wet rats crawling out of the toilet.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
My cousins fiance bought and apartment with two other friends, its all about getting on the property ladder when its way unaffordable. They got out before the market turned and think they broke even, maybe, although not really the crowd to account for all the costs. All in all, a very lucky conclusion to a bad idea.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Factor Mystic posted:

Des Moines sucks. Even Walgreens was closed on Saturday.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

boop the snoot posted:

Des Moines sucks.

When you ask people what's good about Des Moines people from there will invariably mention that Forbes called it the best city for young professionals lmao

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

All the mid west cities are pretty cheap outside of Chicago. It wasn’t the reason I moved, but moving from east coast the the mid west has been a noticeable change in cost of living. RIP beaches though.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

All the mid west cities are pretty cheap outside of Chicago. It wasn’t the reason I moved, but moving from east coast the the mid west has been a noticeable change in cost of living. RIP beaches though.
While I know it's not cheaper than living in somewhere like Des Moines, Chicago is comparatively much cheaper compared to the other big cities like Seattle, New York, SF, Denver, or Austin. It's a good city to work in as a programmer without having to deal with tech city prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Beaches exist on the lakes, I miss the ocean tho which I think is what you meant