Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

So Glad has a literally infinite OOS punish? He can just toestab you into knocking you down until you die and you can't do anything about it?

Well you can dodge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No you can't. You get knocked down, dumbass.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No you can't. You get knocked down, dumbass.

Sure, and after you get up glad doesn't get another confirmed toe stab. You can dodge when you see the animation starting and still avoid it.

now positioning and reaction times will make a big difference and in certain situations the time you have to react may be very very low. But Gladiator does not have an infinite OOS punish.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
The toe stab is also heavily delayed (it's like 2 or 3x slower IIRC) when used against an opponent that's out of stamina, so it should be extremely telegraphed regardless

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

WTF is with these servers lately???? I tried to get on two days in a row and it just won’t let me. It says the servers are down or Ubisoft isn’t responding. Is anyone else getting this? I played like one whole game and got dropped from my game today and can’t get back in.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Ubi's servers for all of their games have been exploding the last few days.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Yeah I was in the middle of a ranked duel tournament when it dropped me out. Ranked is so frustrating even by itself I just want some loving cool ornaments :ohdear: You spend more time waiting in the menu than you do fighting. On top of that because barely anyone plays ranked very high skill players intentionally de-rank to bronze/silver just so they can smurf and stomp people so you just wasted 40 minutes for nothing.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

Ubi's servers for all of their games have been exploding the last few days.

I fully expect to find out this is people ddosing or something as retaliation for the racism bans in siege.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Postoyevsky posted:

i've heard from multiple people that the rework literally makes her worse.

not really, her shoulder bash guarantees a light but it's much slower and can only come from the beginning of a chain that's heavy-feinted

please god no :negative:

Edit:

Perestroika posted:

As for assorted random tips:

-Always be ledging fools.

Ledges aren't all one should take advantage of.

:haw:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 17, 2018

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Just picked this game up when it was free for June, and I'm loving it so far! I've mostly been spamming the Warden because their playstyle feels fairly intuitive to me, but I've got maybe 5~ hours on this so far. My issue is that whenever I go up against a Lawbringer, I get dumpstered - waiting them out doesn't really seem to work (I'm not reacting fast enough to block, I feel like!) and their punishes for any of my hosed up attacks is brutal. Any tips on that matchup? And there any character that's recommended for new players to pick up?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Galick posted:

Just picked this game up when it was free for June, and I'm loving it so far! I've mostly been spamming the Warden because their playstyle feels fairly intuitive to me, but I've got maybe 5~ hours on this so far. My issue is that whenever I go up against a Lawbringer, I get dumpstered - waiting them out doesn't really seem to work (I'm not reacting fast enough to block, I feel like!) and their punishes for any of my hosed up attacks is brutal. Any tips on that matchup? And there any character that's recommended for new players to pick up?

Warden is getting a rework pretty soon

I'd recommend Kensei for new players, he's fairly easy to learn and also has a lot of depth to his kit. He's an extremely viable hero in nearly every game mode too

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Galick posted:

I personally find Warden is a good matchup against the Law Bringer, but it does require some good reactions on your part. If they try to bash you and can easily dodge and then shoulder ram them back.

This also works when they try to use their light attack follow ups (when their weapon turns blue) but that’s a 50/50 cause they can confirm a GB on you when you dash.

I would be very cautious about throwing out normal side lights as they are slow and the LB light parry punish is brutal.

If they’re trying to do an unblockable attack a top light or a zone attack will usually beat it out, but you need to be on top of that.

At the end of the day though it just comes down to practice and good feinting (in my experience at least)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I play a lot of lawbringer and I often get dumpstered by wardens who just spam the shoulder bash. Classes who have a dodge-attack move like all the assassins and kensei can escape from the second or third bash-slash-slash but those without them just get to wait until the warden runs out of stamina. Or roll away to escape and eat the rest of their own stamina so the warden can just walk up to you and resume shoulder-bash spamming but now you have no way to escape.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Shear Modulus posted:

Or roll away to escape and eat the rest of their own stamina so the warden can just walk up to you and resume shoulder-bash spamming but now you have no way to escape.
When your roll made you go out of stamina just unlock and walk away. Wardens can only really hit you with a running heavy attack if you do this, which you'll need to pay attention to, but all their other attacks don't track for poo poo. They can also run up to your grill and attempt a guardbreak or zone attack, but those should be transparent enough.
If you want to have your cake and eat it too you can even use this trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOKlO-SjNtw which makes dodges 100% safe if you can react to their guardbreak indicator, basically turning the whole thing against them.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Speaking of Warden vs. Lawbringer, I ran a few duels with swordboy against a LB the other night, and it was pretty good stuff. Pretty even match skill-wise, matches were usually going into round 5, it was tense and fun. I think my favorite part was when the guy complained about how Warden was OP because his top heavy has "retardedly fast startup". :allears:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
The best feeling in this game is when you crush someone so hard they ragequit mid-execution, possibly only beaten by the kensei just faced who spent the last round running in panic from me after i took him from 100% to 20% in the first minute of the duel. Conqueror is my waifu and I will forever love her angry grunts and te affligam! :love:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I remember playing this in Beta and everyone said Conq would be super bad.

How wrong they are

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Conq was super bad for a long time, they've bounced between incredibly strong and completely ineffective, they're just one of those characters.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I suffered through kensei before the rework, I think i deserve to play a top-ranked class for a while. :colbert:

But the reason i switched from kensei is i love everything about the conqueror, both her angry brutal in-your-face style and her mechanics, baiting with heavy into fullblock, superior block on heavy timings, opening turtles with shield bash. It's just so fun to play her. Speaking of, I am trying to include the charged heavys into matches now, whats the best way to use them? Another conq used them a lot against me but uuh i just walked forward and parried them.

edit: And the ragequits after 1 or 2 rounds of course! :v:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 27, 2018

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Conq is probably the strongest 1v1 hero in the game right now, the toolset he has is just ridiculous.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Conq was super bad for a long time, they've bounced between incredibly strong and completely ineffective, they're just one of those characters.

I still really miss the range charged attacks had on release. But I guess Nobushi has to have something.

Noir89 posted:

I suffered through kensei before the rework, I think i deserve to play a top-ranked class for a while. :colbert:

But the reason i switched from kensei is i love everything about the conqueror, both her angry brutal in-your-face style and her mechanics, baiting with heavy into fullblock, superior block on heavy timings, opening turtles with shield bash. It's just so fun to play her. Speaking of, I am trying to include the charged heavys into matches now, whats the best way to use them? Another conq used them a lot against me but uuh i just walked forward and parried them.

edit: And the ragequits after 1 or 2 rounds of course! :v:

Ime the charge attack is basically just bigger bait to use if you aren't hooking them with normal feints/whiffs. Maybe if you want to be greedy when you guard break them while they're out of stamina?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Theres enough time after knocking them down for that? Gonna experiment for a bit with them. I do try to not spam shield bash all the time, but certain matchups(lawbringer)it seems to be the only way to get damage in. Another thing that feels a bit dirty in infinite light chain against Assasins, since at least on my level they aren't that good at blocking.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I don't think there's enough time to guarantee it, which is why I said it's greedy.

Don't feel bad about demolishing assassins, they deserve it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Claim: Centurion is bad and inflexible, they are easy to beat, just don't get hit lol

Fact: There was literally at least one Centurion in every Brawl I played this entire evening. I guess they just love getting demolished on their easily-countered character

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Noir89 posted:

Speaking of, I am trying to include the charged heavys into matches now, whats the best way to use them? Another conq used them a lot against me but uuh i just walked forward and parried them.
It's mainly ok to throw out in teamfights when your opponent is focused on someone else. Otherwise I suppose you can feint it with full-block to maybe get a crushing counter out of it, but that's way too slow for it to work against a decent player. (Then again, with all those dodge-attack spamming orochi's lately it could be worth a try)

It's also a good parrying tool along with the zone attack. If you parry with a charged heavy and the enemy feints, you won't actually throw out anything for them to exploit. Remember to immediately feint to cancel your charge afterwards though!

Noir89 posted:

Another thing that feels a bit dirty in infinite light chain against Assasins, since at least on my level they aren't that good at blocking.
If you delay your lights in a chain spamming light attacks works pretty well even against an experienced player, since they'll barely have any time to react. It can even get you some extra hits in on a static guard hero.

Or at least it should but there's also this bug that makes blocking easy as gently caress with a static guard, even if you don't know about it. Did I mention this game was buggy as gently caress yet? :v:

edit:

Noir89 posted:

Theres enough time after knocking them down for that? Gonna experiment for a bit with them.
Yeah, if you throw them down you should have more than enough time. It's not the most damaging punish though; if you throw them to your side you can get two side heavies in on them if you land the first hit while they're falling. It's a bit finnicky without a nearby wall though, so the charged heavy is the safer option.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 28, 2018

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Claim: Centurion is bad and inflexible, they are easy to beat, just don't get hit lol

Fact: There was literally at least one Centurion in every Brawl I played this entire evening. I guess they just love getting demolished on their easily-countered character

you get a million shugokis and raiders too and they're not that special either on the average pubbie's hands

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Mans posted:

you get a million shugokis and raiders too and they're not that special either on the average pubbie's hands

(Fat Man Apologist post)

But the Shugokis are only there because the alternative is not playing Shugoki.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mans posted:

Raiders have pretty decent mixups after the rework and they're actually quite difficult to fight against, especially if they know how to parry. Not one tenth as frustrating as Centurion, though. Also Shugoki sucks, just guardbreak the fat man and cut him if he tries to do anything. He doesn't even have any followups for his own goddamn headbutt stun.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Because he’s Gief without the Command Grab. He needs that terrifying button that makes you alarmed to be near him, and the Bear Hug definitely isn’t it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's good and people never seem to expect it, but he needs either more ability to chase or the ability to punish you more for being close, yeah.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Did they buff Highlander recently? He's amazing now and everyone is playing him. Can't go a game without seeing him; he's completely replaced Centurion as the toxic ez win cancer pick. It's mostly the double unblockable grab, if I'm being honest.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Highlander's been top tier for a long while now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All of them I played against were pure garbage and never used any of these amazing mixups. Why is he suddenly god tier and there's one in every match?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

There's always gonna be more random mashy dummies than good players, highlander doesn't do much in the former's hands and is crazy in the latter.

When he came out he was probably the worst character, he just had nothing, then they reworked him a bit later and he's been great since.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yardbomb posted:

There's always gonna be more random mashy dummies than good players

Not my experience. Isn't For Honor a notoriously turtley game?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

All of them I played against were pure garbage and never used any of these amazing mixups. Why is he suddenly god tier and there's one in every match?

Probably new/returning players from e3 finally getting the steel to but him

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Eh? Not since the parry changes at least.

There are still some heroes who shine on counter-attacks more than anything else (lawbringer, conq maybe, really good highlander players in offensive stance), but not to a very noticeable extent these days.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Pc is much more defensive focused, the higher frame rates make it much easier to read and react to incoming moves. On consoles more people go hog wild on attack because it’s pretty difficult to react to 400ms moves at 30fps. I’m not sure what is better really.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Did they buff Highlander recently? He's amazing now and everyone is playing him. Can't go a game without seeing him; he's completely replaced Centurion as the toxic ez win cancer pick. It's mostly the double unblockable grab, if I'm being honest.

Worth mentioning that you can dodge the kick, and if you see the grab coming afterwards you can unlock and convert your dodge into a roll to get out of it. Highlander absolutely devastated me with that mixup until I got the muscle memory to roll away ingrained, but now most of them are no problem. There are a shocking number of people who don't know how to do anything with the character beyond "kickgrab mixup" and "that one top attack that feints into the side dodge attack".

As far as the turtle thing goes, it's definitely a more effective way to play still. Every now and then I'll get matchmade against a Conqueror or something that will sit there until the heat death of the universe, doing nothing but going for parries and counterattacks. I can't beat these people. But more often than not I'll get one who shield bashes as much as they possibly can, or an Orochi mashing out lights like it's going out of style. They're food for my orders, but I'm on PC. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Has any information come out about that rumored PvE oriented game mode I heard awhile back, or was that just hearsay?