Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Crash Bandicoot is a lot of people's favourite platformer they played as a child because neither Sega or especially Nintendo's consoles were popular here unless you were a huge nerd.

I thought Sega was huge in the EU, just not in that gen because the Saturn bombed everywhere but Japan. It also didn't help that Sega had no good platformers that gen.

Also the original Crash Trilogy is dope anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Nintendo treated the whole of Europe like a lovely afterthought for many years so I can't blame anyone for that.

Based on the list of released games and some dicking around I did digging around for French versions of games, it seems they refused to release any text-heavy game unless it got translated into FIGS. This made their RPG options really thin on the ground, although what actually got a release was in fact multilingual (e.g. Actraiser, Secret of Mana, Mystic Quest Legends, Terranigma).

Also wasn't the N64 the first console that did proper NTSC-to-PAL conversions, so you didn't get weird speed or a warped screen with black bars?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How did Crash do in Australia

It looks like it had several weeks as number 1 until a rugby video game bumped it once, and then went back to number 1.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i watched some rugby games while i was in france and also it's on at the bar i go to every once in a while here, and i'm curious: the NFL has this whole big thing going on where even with huge amounts of padding and state of the art helmets guys who play it for more than a few years are coming out with brains the consistency of rice pudding. how the hell do rugby players, with no gear literally at all, not end up with their brains leaking out their ears?

or is that exactly what happens?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBLvGzbzvSM

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think rugby players also suffer from TBI symptoms, just not at the rate of American Football players.

The padding and helmets actually are part of the problem, since with that the tackles can be harder and more spearlike without causing immediate injury. The brain problem isn't caused by acute trauma though, but by chronic repetitive hits. I remember that some NFL teams were hiring rugby consultants to teach "safer tackling" or some poo poo like that when the concussion outcry was at its strongest

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all i know about rugby is when they play it on giant bomb and they spend 10 minutes trying to figure out what the “score a try” button is trying to convey

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

It looks like it had several weeks as number 1 until a rugby video game bumped it once, and then went back to number 1.

Aussies into Rugby, you say?

Cowcaster posted:

i watched some rugby games while i was in france and also it's on at the bar i go to every once in a while here, and i'm curious: the NFL has this whole big thing going on where even with huge amounts of padding and state of the art helmets guys who play it for more than a few years are coming out with brains the consistency of rice pudding. how the hell do rugby players, with no gear literally at all, not end up with their brains leaking out their ears?

or is that exactly what happens?

It definitely still happens, albeit probably to a reduced extent. I think part of it is that the padding lets people hit harder for longer, and also more inclined to do head smashes. Without the padding you don't actually want to smash anything into anyone's head because it will hurt like hell. They had the same problem with boxing, bare-knuckle boxing was all about body blows and the like, punching the head and face is generally unwise, especially if you're fighting regularly. Boxers having brain mush I don't think was really a thing until gloved boxing became the norm and people went through entire careers with gloves.

Of course, that being said, Rugby players are notoriously tough as nails. Look into legendary New Zealand All Blacks player Buck Shelford, who was in the bottom of a ruck (a body pileup where everyone is digging their cleats into whoever is underfoot) where he lost four teeth and :nms: had his nutsack torn open by someone's cleats such that a testicle was actually dangling free, then nonchalantly had it crudely put back together (unsure if it was actually stitched or even just crudely taped) by the field doctor, and kept playing. He was later concussed in that same game. :nms:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Remember when Lisa Simpson had the mumps and spent all of her days home sick playing Crash Bandicoot Except Not instead of catching up on school work

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

Remember when Lisa Simpson had the mumps and spent all of her days home sick playing Crash Bandicoot Except Not instead of catching up on school work

Yes i remember dash dingo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about that Lego toys to life game was that if you had Sonic and Bart, Sonic made a direct reference to what I think is his one bootleg Simpsons appearance

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whenever people on the internet say "not another metroidvania" I get mad because for the longest time there were almost no metroidvanias

and also a lot of games that get called metroidvanias are not actually metroidvanias

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oCqd5yNPcYQ

Quest For Glory II posted:

whenever people on the internet say "not another metroidvania" I get mad because for the longest time there were almost no metroidvanias

and also a lot of games that get called metroidvanias are not actually metroidvanias

How did you feel about Guacamelee?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

doingitwrong posted:

What is going on in England? Everyone OK over there?

I think we're doing all right :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I just want a game where samus fights dracula

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

I just want a game where samus fights dracula

Surprised theres no castlevania chars in smash

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd play a new metroidvania every month for the rest of my life if I could

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sega had 70% market share in Europe in 1992, they were kinda huge but hosed up big time thanks to the Mega-CD/32X (add-ons lol) and the whole 32X/Saturn (Sega of America went for another add-on, Japan had another console, infighting ensues) debacle.

Also the first documented case of new competition with - compared to Sega - limitless budget.

Edit: Sega almost keeled over in 2001 if it wasn't for inheriting a vast sum of money from their old boss.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 30, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Crash 2>Crash 3> Crash 1

Crash Team Racing is a different genre entirely but I still cradle it lovingly. Crash Bash probably gave me hypertension as a child because christ that was not a good game. I don't think Naughty Dog had anything to do with that either.

Then there was Crash for PS2 which started with Wrath of Cortex and was my last Crash game. I remember it being pretty good, but oh my jesus the load times on PS2 were absolutely horrendous. That pretty much killed the game for me.

e: Oh I forgot Twinsanity existed but I remember playing a demo of that and feeling all :pwn: afterward. Dunno what happened to that.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 30, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

She’s exactly right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sometimes I imagine a counterfactual alternate history where Europe's video game market remains contested territory between Commodore, Amstrad, and Sinclair well into the late 1990s and 2000s

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Crash games were the precursor to Flappybird imo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't that caption lifted word-for-word from Uncharted 4? I thought that was the joke.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sometimes I imagine a counterfactual alternate history where Europe's video game market remains contested territory between Commodore, Amstrad, and Sinclair well into the late 1990s and 2000s

A world where Acorn took over the computer world and there's a Bolo esports league :allears:

Uh! They got me!

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 30, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just want Captain N to be in Smash

I don't know what kind of rights hell he's stuck in at the moment though

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Andrast posted:

I'd play a new metroidvania every month for the rest of my life if I could

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

That's me in every single Uncharted action sequence

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I liked it, though I played the original version. It had a great difficulty curve and skill ceiling

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Surprised theres no castlevania chars in smash

Simon Belmont is rumored but will probably never actually happen.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
All this Crash talk had me thinking that I almost bought the Jak & Daxter remaster but decided not to.

What a weird shift those games had from happy animal mascot platformer to .. guns?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I guess Jak 2 is kind of a predecessor to Shadow the Hedgehog, looking back.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:emptyquote:

like cave story for example

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
none of the jak games are consistent with each other lol

jak 1 is a lighthearted kids game, jak 2 is a grimdark action platformer and jak 3 is really serious and gloomy until the end where it suddenly gets really goofy again five minutes after jak watched his father literally get crushed to death

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

most of them are bad, i'd rather have an occasional good one than another indie procgen roguelike soulslike metroidvania

The Colonel posted:

none of the jak games are consistent with each other lol

jak 1 is a lighthearted kids game, jak 2 is a grimdark action platformer and jak 3 is really serious and gloomy until the end where it suddenly gets really goofy again five minutes after jak watched his father literally get crushed to death

it's easy, jak 1 is insanely good, and the rest is garbage

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i feel like I'm going to buy the vita Jak 1 at some point just to have 3 platinums for it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

it's easy, jak 1 is insanely good, and the rest is garbage

jak 2 and 3 aren't as good as ratchet & clank or sly but they're decent games imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

glam rock hamhock posted:

Simon Belmont is rumored but will probably never actually happen.

i thought the whole thing about this smash bros is they said they were announcing everyone from the get go and wouldn't be revealing more before launch so no gokus or travis touchdowns

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

jak 2 and 3 aren't as good as ratchet & clank or sly but they're decent games imo

hmm, nah

2 is one of the most unpleasant games i've had the misfortune of playing

the levels are the most soulless and dull areas i've seen in a game, and the open world adds nothing but pointless travel time between levels.

at least the 3 zoomer travel levels in 1 had fun poo poo to do

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

most of them are bad, i'd rather have an occasional good one than another indie procgen roguelike soulslike metroidvania

We get plenty of good ones these days though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're probably gonna announce somebody more bc it can't just be two new characters, that's barely anything

• Locked thread