Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

dogstile posted:

Yardbomb is currently wrong on the survivor favour as the latest patch is all based on loving over survivors being strong.

One patch really isn't enough to reverse how much power they've given survivors over the game.

I don't know how devs keep loving up and making the numbers side stronger in asymmetrical games, I guess appealing to the heavier side of the playerbase but it makes them look like incompetent idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Otherwise a bunch of the killers are in poor shape (Trapper, Wraith, Hag, Pig, Leatherface, Freddy)y.

Hag actually got an enormous buff. I don't know if I'd put her up with Nurse and Billy like some people, but she's definitely around Myers' level now. She's in a good place. Trapper's buff was nice, but he's still not much more than in the lower mid-tiers. Trap setting time was only part of what slowed him down, and he can't really drop traps mid-chase like Hag can now.

dogstile posted:

I don't like BBQ as a perk, it entirely ruins any form of stealth. Freddy is a wanker but purely because I can never hide from him, by the time i hear the music he's on me, i get that he's apparently the weakest hero but hes really unfun to play against. Every Freddy player i've played against just camps the hook so I never bother trying to rescue someone from him, instead i just gen rush.

Looking at it, sprint burst is now pretty poo poo and you'd be better off levelling up either claudette to get the self care perk (at levels 35/40/45 ((i think)) you can buy a special, teachable version of unique character perks to put on other characters). Self care is pretty awesome for when your team are either useless or cowards. Failing that, Laurie's decisive strike is borderline OP and dead hard is basically a free dodge while you look for another pallet to loop around. Aside from that, most survivors will eventually play the same.

Freddy can't camp the hook. Freddy can't stop people from unhooking. Freddy has to wait 7 seconds to do anything, unless he's running specific add-ons which are the only thing that make him halfway decent (green block and purple block). Freddy's unfun to play against but his kit is also just complete trash and the best way to beat him is to just disrespect him. Oh Freddy's coming? loving who cares fix that gen. Oh I'm going to sleep? Yeah gimme five and I'll pretend to worry. I know they're looking at buffing Freddy at some point after Wraith (again), but his whole kit just needs a rework. The sleep mechanic is boring, he should be doing dream stuff like making closets eat survivors not "hold on bitch i need to make you stabbable."

Sprint Burst is still one of the best of the exhaustion perks even with the exhaustion changes. It's just no longer "activates twice in a chase making it take up the entire match" good. But yeah you always want Self-Care first. Iron Will (Jake Park) and Urban Evasion (Nea Karlsson) are both also good perks to grab.

Survivor are still ultimately stronger than Killers and it's gonna take more than a few minor balance changes to change poo poo like the Emblem Squad. 100 matches, killers de-piped 91 times and only pipped twice. Best advice for anyone wanting to play killer in DbD, just play casually. Stick to the sub-10 ranks.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
An underrated perk I rarely see people bring up is Stridor. Stridor Myers is extremely powerful because if you boop someone and pocket EW3, you can sneak up on the crew healing your bait, pop stalk, and Rules Of Nature the entire crew. I once got three nerds in my basement in roughly 20 seconds doing that :chef:

Or at least that was the case before, I haven't played since just before that axe throwing lady came out so god knows what they did to my man Myers

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mostly play Myers, and yeah building Evil Within until it's almost ready to pop is still the way you play him. For sneaking up on healing, Nurse's Calling (see aura of healing survivors in 28 meters) is better than Stridor (survivor breathing is louder). Especially if you pair Nurse's Calling with Monitor & Abuse (Reduce Terror Radius by 8m, so with Mikey that means it's only 8m) so they basically get no warning you're creeping up on them. Unless it's any of the cornfield maps, where Myers giant rear end sticks out wherever he is. Using EW3 to punish altruism after the gates are opened has turned around a few games for me, because god drat some people think the killer should just rollover and call it quits when they have the gates opened.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I could never get Nurse's Calling to show up on the shrine and I'm too garbage at blinking to actually level the Nurse :froggonk: I dont remember if I managed to get Monitor and Abuse but I love playing Stealth Myers :v:

Ah hell looks like I'll be reinstalling soon

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
forgive me for my sin

Honestly though, casual killer time is fine enough. Game's balance issues start to show when you get 3-4 person Survive With Friends teams, or just a group of survivors that know what to do. If you have Hag, her Hex: Ruin perk (Great skill checks no longer increase generator progress, good skill checks actually reduce it now) is basically the best killer perk around right now. You can check that Emblem Squad spreadsheet to see how god drat fast gens get done without it. I unfortunately don't have it yet, still saving up shards to finally buy her now that she's not a dumpster fire, and man I wish I did.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, the whole "its really unbalanced" argument is only really once you get into people who are super loving good tier and I think that's mostly because gens pop to fast (what is it, like 80 seconds a gen at base and you can reduce that significantly). The problem is if they make it significantly harder then all killers will do at lower levels is facecamp because you can't just genrush them while they do it.

TGLT posted:

Freddy can't camp the hook. Freddy can't stop people from unhooking. Freddy has to wait 7 seconds to do anything, unless he's running specific add-ons which are the only thing that make him halfway decent (green block and purple block). Freddy's unfun to play against but his kit is also just complete trash and the best way to beat him is to just disrespect him. Oh Freddy's coming? loving who cares fix that gen. Oh I'm going to sleep? Yeah gimme five and I'll pretend to worry. I know they're looking at buffing Freddy at some point after Wraith (again), but his whole kit just needs a rework. The sleep mechanic is boring, he should be doing dream stuff like making closets eat survivors not "hold on bitch i need to make you stabbable."

Sprint Burst is still one of the best of the exhaustion perks even with the exhaustion changes. It's just no longer "activates twice in a chase making it take up the entire match" good. But yeah you always want Self-Care first. Iron Will (Jake Park) and Urban Evasion (Nea Karlsson) are both also good perks to grab.

Survivor are still ultimately stronger than Killers and it's gonna take more than a few minor balance changes to change poo poo like the Emblem Squad. 100 matches, killers de-piped 91 times and only pipped twice. Best advice for anyone wanting to play killer in DbD, just play casually. Stick to the sub-10 ranks.

Freddy can't stop you from being unhooked but he can certainly just go ahead and stab the person who's gotten unhooked immediately after and go right back to camping, which is all they seem to do.

I think its because the kit kinda enforces the rule though. You're right in that he can't really do much against good groups of organised, efficient people but against pubs who don't understand that when you can't hide you just be brazen as gently caress, he gets a free pass. It's why i think he's poo poo sub rank 10 and he's awesome above that.

I don't really think sprint burst is the best because now you move significantly slower around the rest of the map unless you want to be caught with your pants down, because if I remember right it just activates from hitting sprint rather than an activation right?

By all means though, i'm new and only playing this because my gf and my streamer friends like it, so I assume i'm wrong on a few things, but I definitely prefer running dead 'ard over SB since the patch.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

Freddy can't stop you from being unhooked but he can certainly just go ahead and stab the person who's gotten unhooked immediately after and go right back to camping, which is all they seem to do.

I think its because the kit kinda enforces the rule though. You're right in that he can't really do much against good groups of organised, efficient people but against pubs who don't understand that when you can't hide you just be brazen as gently caress, he gets a free pass. It's why i think he's poo poo sub rank 10 and he's awesome above that.

I don't really think sprint burst is the best because now you move significantly slower around the rest of the map unless you want to be caught with your pants down, because if I remember right it just activates from hitting sprint rather than an activation right?

By all means though, i'm new and only playing this because my gf and my streamer friends like it, so I assume i'm wrong on a few things, but I definitely prefer running dead 'ard over SB since the patch.

The issue with Freddy stabbing the person again is he needs 7 seconds more than any other killer to do it. There's no knocking some one down the moment they get yanked off the hook like anyone else. If you're running self care, you just get a bit away from him and go for a self heal and let it fail. Borrowed Time (temporary immunity if unhooked in the killer's terror radius) is a nightmare for poor Freddy. If he pulled the unhooker into the dream then they can also body block a hit before they gotta get out. If they're face camping just wait until the very last moment to unhook them so at least you're dragging the whole process out for them.

Sprint Burst is the best of the exhaustion perks, not best overall. Or well, it's still pretty good. There's probably a case to be made for Lithe now. It's not a "so good it's basically mandatory" perk anymore but it's still good. But yes it activates whenever you start sprinting, which is actually good since it doubles as a way to quickly get over to another gen. Pair it with Urban Evasion (move at normal speed while crouching) if you're having problems burning it too early. Dead Hard's good but doesn't get you as much distance as Sprint Burst, and depending on how good the killer is it might only work the once.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'd be more inclined to give DBD a shot if there weren't achievements tied to being absolute #1 tier.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My only experience of dbd has been playing it in a 5 stack with friends in voice chat without perks so it's never been a thing for me so far.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Glagha posted:

My only experience of dbd has been playing it in a 5 stack with friends in voice chat without perks so it's never been a thing for me so far.

Honestly that's another thing that busts the game, it was very much made without communication in mind, a whole lot of the earliest perks and concepts make it obvious, but then they were harangued into adding survive with friends where obviously everyone's one discord or whatever, suddenly the survivors not only get all their dumb perks but normal communication too, which breaks so many perks and makes you have to play very different because now the chucklefuck on the hook can just tell his buddies where you're going constantly, when they're completely safe and it removes such a massive amount of risk from the game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You can metagame people who are clearly on discord and it's hilarious :v: Once someone unhooks they're more likely to stick together and head to a landmark to heal than if they're randos. If there's a building nearby they're almost always going to head there. Whoops Mikey beat ya to it! :chef: It's also fun if you lose someone to just bail for the other end of the map. Survivors get all nice and cozy thinking they're free to repair when suddenly they're up on the shoulder.

Another fun thing is once they're unhooked, the injured person will hang out behind the hook with Iron Will, as the rescuer sprints away creating as many scratches as possible. I always do a quick circle around the hook before giving chase and a lot of the time you can pop them right back on the hook, except this time they're hammering spacebar or instakilled.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The one complaint I had for playing dbd exclusively with friends is it seemed like every time our one friend who played the invisible guy was up, he'd win every time. It just seemed like it was impossible to deal with him because he was the one doing the hiding and surprising. That was probably just because we had no idea what we were doing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If you're talking about the Wraith (dude with the poncho and the cool giant bell), then yeah Mr. Bing Bong's actually pretty weak once you get used to his gimmick. He takes a while to uncloak, he has a sort of loud snarl, and if you're attentive you can actually see a motion blur whenever he's moving around. Plus his cloaking doesn't counter detection perks like Spine Chill (get a notification when the killer looks in your direction) or Premonition (get a notification when you look in the killer's direction). He's due for another overhaul but it's hard to say if that's really going help him. Last one basically amounted to some quality of life changes that cemented him as second worst killer instead of maybe first worst maybe second worst.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well we were always playing without perks because it we basically exclusively played just our friends together so it always felt like when he uncloaks next to you, sure you get a warning to run but he was right next to you so you weren't likely to get away if he got the drop on you, and the blur didn't always help.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, that's when you just need to get a hold on step two: looping. Unless you'e really good at juking or the killer isn't so good at keeping track (or there's a cornfield) you don't usually get away from the killer, but you can instead run them through windows and pallets and poo poo to keep them busy while your team works the gens. Or you can try my patented technique of running at a friend shouting "TAG IN! TAG IN!" Does wonders for me, not so much my friend.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 30, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yardbomb posted:

Honestly that's another thing that busts the game, it was very much made without communication in mind, a whole lot of the earliest perks and concepts make it obvious, but then they were harangued into adding survive with friends where obviously everyone's one discord or whatever, suddenly the survivors not only get all their dumb perks but normal communication too, which breaks so many perks and makes you have to play very different because now the chucklefuck on the hook can just tell his buddies where you're going constantly, when they're completely safe and it removes such a massive amount of risk from the game.

I mean the fix there is just to make a solo ranked queue.

I tried playing this again last night and every time I gained some ground on a killer he loving lagged over to me somehow. I'd get stuck on a window and "pop" the fuckers there and grabbing me.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

I mean the fix there is just to make a solo ranked queue.

I tried playing this again last night and every time I gained some ground on a killer he loving lagged over to me somehow. I'd get stuck on a window and "pop" the fuckers there and grabbing me.

Problem is in high ranks it can already take a while to find games, hence the monthly rank resets. I don't think DBD has the player base to really support a second queue. Unless that changes the only real option is to just accept the survivors are gonna communicate and design around that. Let players communicate in game somehow and alter the perks(basically every aura reading perk) to fit. Like make Knock Out no longer suppress aura and instead actually knock out a survivor on the ground for a good bit or something. As for the lag thing, the game's p2p and the killer is always the host so if they're lagging or lag switching you're gonna get that poo poo. Best you can do is check the ping in the bottom right before hitting ready.

Beef Hardcheese posted:

GMG has Dead By Daylight for 67% off, so I picked it up to play with some friends. The only DBD thread I could find was closed because the OP "I don't like this game or this thread so I'm closing it." Are there any decent guides on filling out the skill trees, how the different killers / survivors play, etc.?

Also, to add to Yardbomb's post two days ago here's a playlist from some one else(Bricky) that's a run down of the killers. The only real change is that Hag is a lot better than when that video got made. For her, here's a nearly 30 minute guide on how to play her that some hag mains put together prior to her buff.

Other than how specific killers work, some general tips for killers: 1) If a survivor has a flashlight look at a wall when you go to pick up a downed survivor or you run the risk of getting blinded and dropping them. 2) Prioritize hitting survivors over picking up downed survivors - a lot of being a Killer is about keeping as many survivors busy not doing generators as possible. Don't just leave people on the ground to go hunting again, but if you down some one and there's another survivor in the area at least give them a good thwack to keep them busy. Maybe even chase them down if you've hooked them a few times 3) Play with headphones and listen, survivors have loud breathing that you can hear if you're close to them. Especially if they're wounded. 4) Survivors can see a short little red vision cone on Killers, and they're gonna use that to judge how close you are before dropping a pallet. You can gently caress with some of them if they're looping you around a tall enough wall by walking backwards then side stepping to meet them on the other side.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 31, 2018

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

By the way, I remembered I bought Alien: Isolation a few years ago but never played it more than couple hours. Would you guys say the core gameplay is similar to RE7? I've been looking for a similar experience after finishing it.
I don't think so, no. Alien Isolation, ideally, must be snuck through, and it has a semi-competent stealth system to support it. RE7's sneaking is fairly terrible, and the game turns into non-stop combat after a while.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly i'd say they might as well accept that survivors are going to be talking a lot.

Also if a dude DC's just complete a gen or something for me dude, come on son. Don't make me 3 person 5 gen this game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh hey, Dead By Daylight is one of the free games on PlayStation Plus this month.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The_Doctor posted:

Oh hey, Dead By Daylight is one of the free games on PlayStation Plus this month.

I was just about to pop in and say the same :toot: I stopped playing because my PC is below minimum spec and only "works" at about 20 fps after heavy tweaking. This is as good an excuse as any to get back in the game.

Sucks that Sony hates the concept of crossplay so much :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cool I'm up for some goon games if anyone wants to get those going once it hits.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hey random question, a long time ago in the thread someone posted a video by a girl in her grandparents house in Japan all burnt out and poo poo and it was an endless hallway thing of sorts too? Anyway someone had spliced it with the Forbidden Siren theme and it was freaking legit, does anyone have the video link?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 1, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hey random question, a long time ago in the thread someone posted a video by a girl in her grandparents house in Japan all burnt out and poo poo and it was an endless hallway thing of sorts too? Anyway someone had spliced it with the Forbidden Siren theme and it was freaking legit, does anyone have the video link?

Can't tell you where the one with the siren theme is, but the original video is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Morpheus posted:

Can't tell you where the one with the siren theme is, but the original video is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

Someone just did the site that plays two videos at once, thank you so much!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Someone just did the site that plays two videos at once, thank you so much!

nana825763 is a pretty cool person!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nana is male. You can hear their voice in their Minecraft videos.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

mysterious frankie posted:

nana825763 is a pretty cool person!

I'll have to check their channel out, but yeah I love small contained creepy poo poo like that and the local58 vids and such.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They also have ants!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He actually did a really cool video showing how it's made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJ5rVfHkCA

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Y'all mostly liked Observer right? It's on sale on PSN now and I'm down with a good horror walking simulator , if this is one

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
It's not very good at being horror but it's pretty okay. Gets worse towards the end in my opinion, especially during the chase sequences. Also the plot is a huge wet fart that ends on a note that I'm sure the developer would think was shocking.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Observer isnt really horror, it is cyberpunk dystopia as gently caress though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I didn't entirely regret purchasing Observer but...I kind of feel like I might not have bought it if I knew what my experience with it was going to be like...if that makes sense. The setting and aesthetic are very bold and distinct, but the story is often absurd and hinges on a series of contrived characters and events all taking place in a single apartment complex (from what I remember). It felt very claustrophobic, but not in a good, horror-building way. Perhaps "constrained" is a better word.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 2, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Nana seems to have taken the video down where he spent an entire year drawing this giant gently caress-off maze on a piece of paper the size of a small bus and then burnt it. Which sucks because that was a rad video.

I played DbD for a weekend free on Xbox and really didn't dig it. I guess if it's free on PSN I might try it again, but I might have been spoilt by how daft and open the Friday the 13th game was (rip).

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Friday the 13th is an interactive horror movie where you try to make it to the end or at least go out like a movie character; knowing what to do vastly increases your survival chances and the perks are mostly minor boosts. Jason is able to be damaged and even killed but it is extremely unlikely to happen, even with a pointed effort, but he can be smacked with a bat and run away from.

DbD is an E-sport thing where there's a methodical, ideal way to play, so much that you're actively harming yourself if you don't use certain perks and don't employ certain strategies; If you don't have self-care, sprint burst, and decisive strike on your survivor loadout you basically don't have access to what's considered the basic skills of the game due to almost everybody running with at least 2 of those 3, if not all of them. Killers are extremely rigid and have long cooldowns, have a very limited cone of vision, but cannot be slowed in any way other than wasting their time.

They're extremely different games and I don't like that people compare them just because of them being horror+ multiplayer, and I even kinda like DbD, although also think that F13 is most likely the superior game.

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 2, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jukebox Hero posted:

Friday the 13th is an interactive horror movie where you try to make it to the end or at least go out like a movie character; knowing what to do vastly increases your survival chances and the perks are mostly minor boosts. Jason is able to be damaged and even killed but it is extremely unlikely to happen, even with a pointed effort, but he can be smacked with a bat and run away from.

DbD is an E-sport thing where there's a methodical, ideal way to play, so much that you're actively harming yourself if you don't use certain perks and don't employ certain strategies; If you don't have self-care, sprint burst, and decisive strike on your survivor loadout you basically don't have access to what's considered the basic skills of the game due to almost everybody running with at least 2 of those 3, if not all of them. Killers are extremely rigid and have long cooldowns, have a very limited cone of vision, but cannot be slowed in any way other than wasting their time.

They're extremely different games and I don't like that people compare them just because of them being horror+ multiplayer, and I even kinda like DbD, although also think that F13 is most likely the superior game.

Of course people are going to compare them, they both use the same terminology, have the same sort of goals, and the same sort of gameplay (survivors: escape by completing goals, killer: win by killing survivors).

Sure, when you delve into the minutiae about skill loadouts and strategies, yes, they are different games. Prototype and Infamous, for example, are also very different games, but it makes absolute sense to compare the two of them.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Jukebox Hero posted:

Personally I think DbD is the superior game, simply because it has those gameplay mechanics and choices! F13 just feels so... half developed, to me. If you're going in to hop on voice chat and be a goofball with some people and get murdered then yeah whatever you're gonna have fun, but as for the actual gameplay it's Drawer Opening and Hoping You Don't Die Simulator 2017™

And for what it's worth you don't have to run those three perks in specific in DbD, they're just popular/higher end. Sprint burst in particular was nerfed recently and isn't as desirable/mandatory as before. There's a ton of builds you can opt for that just leave you playing differently, whether you're stronger in the early or late game or whether you prefer being chased by the killer or fixing generators from the sidelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Poulpe posted:

And for what it's worth you don't have to run those three perks in specific in DbD, they're just popular/higher end.
i just want to point out that the DbD thread eventually got locked by the thread creator in part because the state of the game is such that yes, you actually do need to have these unless you are in goof off mode and it makes the game a pretty bad experience if you don't

at which point you might as well stop pretending and play friday the 13th

DbD is an extremely bad game for anything but eSports chase-and-troll and depending on what patch is out it's frequently bad even for that.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd be more inclined to give DBD a shot if there weren't achievements tied to being absolute #1 tier.
fwiw at current getting rank 1 on the ladder basically means that you play the game long enough. as a survivor the breakdown basically goes like this:

- if you die before doing anything of note, you will lose a pip
- if you do at least something of note (start a generator, rescue a survivor from the hook) you will stay stable
- if you do something of note and escape you will gain a pip

on the killer's side, if you kill at least one person and have a couple of good scooby doo chases you will stay stable.

you basically have to get kicked in the junk really hard to lose a pip and even with my appallingly bad luck that's not that common. it's not at all uncommon for a game to end and literally nobody pips down. so play the game long and consistently enough and the rank 1 will come pretty much guaranteed.

of course that boils back to the fact that DbD is one of the more blatant skinner box games of the last half a decade. you play to watch the numbers go up, and for that you get things that cause the numbers to go up slightly faster.