Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wasnt there a part where the kids go back in time and kill hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

wait why didnt the mind control alien just morph the kid's body to escape

They were watching him or something it's been way too long since I read that book to remember the answer

I want to say they tried it by turning into a fly and they literally fly seattered him and he had to demorph to survive

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Shear Modulus posted:

wasnt there a part where the kids go back in time and kill hitler

Sort of. There's a time travelling incident where an alien fucks up a bunch of historical events and they go back to try and fix things but time changes as they go so they end up arriving at the loving D-Day landings except the Nazis weren't in charge and it's some german revanchist movement instead and Hitler is just a jeep driver that they catch so they have a discussion about whether they should kill Hitler now in this timeline despite him obviously not being in charge. Then there's the creeping realisation that in this timeline the Holocaust might not have happened and they're supposed to restore their timeline....

Edit: Actually I dunno if the Holocaust is specifically discussed but it's obviously implied.

namesake has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Jul 29, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

It's difficult to articulate just how bad Harry Potter is

Harry Potter became a cop for the secret master race with the exclusive benefit of nearly a millennium of pharma profits.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
harry potter is the ultimate in neoliberalism

like in the epilogue after they've defeated the terrible bad guy but they still do sorting into houses to make the students hate each other, and house elves are still slaves, and they're still letting 99% of humanity die of hunger and disease and other poo poo they could magic away, and that's. that's the happy ending y'all

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

get that OUT of my face posted:

reminder: chelsea clinton is on the board of OKCupid or whatever its parent company is

tbh that's totally fine because ads reminding all those sexless shitheads in the trump admin nobody wants to gently caress them is pretty :coal:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like millennials are a generation that will be, overall, significantly better than generations before them (like Boomers or Gen Xers), but that the worst of them (those born into wealth/privilege) will be exceptionally bad. In the same way as the overall better politics of millennials are related to their inferior material conditions, the privileged minority are likely to be exceptionally lovely due to the gap between them and regular people.
take a guess as to which subsection of this generation is going to have the most influence. demographics =/= destiny and all the polls about this supposed "most progressive generation ever" doesn't change that. boomers dying won't change a goddamn thing but goons have argued for years that it will

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

like in the epilogue after they've defeated the terrible bad guy but they still do sorting into houses to make the students hate each other, and house elves are still slaves, and they're still letting 99% of humanity die of hunger and disease and other poo poo they could magic away, and that's. that's the happy ending y'all
you're wasting your time arguing that harry potter is something other than what JK Rowling says it is. she's constantly defended "resistance" interpretation of the books, all while putting in little details that weren't in the books so that she can look good while doing none of the work (saying dumbledore was gay, saying that there were Americans at Hogwarts, saying there were Jews at Hogwarts, etc.)

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Jul 30, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why were there Americans in Hogwarts, goddamn freeloaders putting burden on the public education system abroad instead of sorting out their own schools :argh:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/dearhppy/status/1023194503358738437?s=19

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Why were there Americans in Hogwarts, goddamn freeloaders putting burden on the public education system abroad instead of sorting out their own schools :argh:

There's an American magical academy, you'll be unsuprised to learn that a lot of the names were taken from naive American stuff.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

*squinting at this pic and thinking the hardest i ever have in my life*

trmmmm

edit: i clicked on her timeline what the hell is a "lesbian mutual"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Business Gorillas posted:

trmmmm

Some kind of banking thing of course

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

wait why didnt the mind control alien just morph the kid's body to escape

They were watching him and this was really early on in the series so he didn't have very many morphs.

This whole thing also led to a key plot point where having an alien mind control slug die of starvation in his brain unlocked some crazy event horizon poo poo where he started seeing an evil Cthulhu monster God.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Business Gorillas posted:

*squinting at this pic and thinking the hardest i ever have in my life*

trmmmm

you see son, when a bunch of women love business very much

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Animorphs: the book where the POV character dies in the middle of the last book and everyone has PTSD

i really liked the bit in the last book where an insanely traumatized jake is visibly barely holding it together at the yeerk nuremberg trials and to save his mind/help him manage his testimony the remaining crew basically forces him to become a dolphin for a while to experience the exhilaration and joy that is dolphinhood

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I liked the ellemist spinoff

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

get that OUT of my face posted:

take a guess as to which subsection of this generation is going to have the most influence. demographics =/= destiny and all the polls about this supposed "most progressive generation ever" doesn't change that. boomers dying won't change a goddamn thing but goons have argued for years that it will

you're wasting your time arguing that harry potter is something other than what JK Rowling says it is. she's constantly defended "resistance" interpretation of the books, all while putting in little details that weren't in the books so that she can look good while doing none of the work (saying dumbledore was gay, saying that there were Americans at Hogwarts, saying there were Jews at Hogwarts, etc.)

This generation is more progressive because it's a higher percentage minority. High minority birth rates and rising minority life expectancy combined with falling white birth rates and plummeting working class white life expectancy has always been the way out of this and the liberal path to power. The longer this trend keeps up and the more intense it gets the better for the left.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nah.

A (if not the) major source of non-white growth is among Hispanic folk who are going to be considered white within the next couple decades. Latin-American voters will soon become just as reactionary as their contemporary white-ethnic counterparts.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
demography isn't destiny but culture is downstream from material conditions

and the material conditions for both us and the forthcoming generation suck nuts

this tends to produce more left-wingers. there's a path to power here, if we don't pull an Obama with this bullshit

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Kingfish posted:

Nah.

A (if not the) major source of non-white growth is among Hispanic folk who are going to be considered white within the next couple decades. Latin-American voters will soon become just as reactionary as their contemporary white-ethnic counterparts.

The reactionaries are currently running child concentration camps for Hispanic folks. Even if they don't go Final Solution about it, I think the memory of that will be a sticking point in Latinx-chud relations for a while.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Terror Sweat posted:

They were watching him and this was really early on in the series so he didn't have very many morphs.

This whole thing also led to a key plot point where having an alien mind control slug die of starvation in his brain unlocked some crazy event horizon poo poo where he started seeing an evil Cthulhu monster God.

I mean it's also worth pointing out that the Crayak ended up being one of the powers behind literally the entire series, and not just a weird Cthulhu, with it and the Ellimist making the smallest moves they could to try to affect the outcome of a battle they had created

Ellimist won because he stacked his loving deck when he manipulated the team into existing, which rules a lot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"ok I got the brother of a controller and a born leader, his psychopath cousin, a girl who stops you from doing timeline fuckery, the son of the leader of the invasion, the son of an andalite prince who absolutely hosed the yeerks up previously, and the princes little brother. Your move bitch"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Kingfish posted:

Nah.

you tend to see a backslide in the generations following immigrants yeah, even bush the lesser tried to court that (until the rest of the republicans flipped out about amnesty), but i'm still skeptical of how well that'd hold up compared to how much the rhetoric has changed since 2004

also it's worth nothing that even white millennials are measurably more leftward-leaning than the white portions of previous generations

iirc it's the first time more than 50% identify as democrats/liberals/left

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I feel like the demographics is destiny thing was tripped up badly in the election since Trump should be like the most noxious candidate possible for Latino people yet still got something like 30% of their vote. That's enough to keep the Republicans viable, how do we know that once Trump is gone the GOP won't just start trotting out some Marco Rubio type and make a few half assed efforts to be less nakedly fascist, and either maintain or increase that vote share?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I feel like the demographics is destiny thing was tripped up badly in the election since Trump should be like the most noxious candidate possible for Latino people yet still got something like 30% of their vote. That's enough to keep the Republicans viable, how do we know that once Trump is gone the GOP won't just start trotting out some Marco Rubio type and make a few half assed efforts to be less nakedly fascist, and either maintain or increase that vote share?

These already exist. They're called democrats and they're currently powerless and terrified of being crushed by the left

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
trump captured more of the latino vote than r-money

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

khwarezm posted:

turns out a lot of (white) latinos are FYGM shitheads who think they'll be excluded from the camps because they pass the paper bag test and their particular immigration method was technically legal whenever they arrived, and they're probably right. minorities aren't a monolith especially one as diverse as latinos

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MysteriousStranger posted:

This generation is more progressive because it's a higher percentage minority.

Hey let's try not to be racist. Thanks!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That and the Republicans just ramp up the voter suppression, to no resistance from Democrats.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this generation is less racist because we grew up on sesame st

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MysteriousStranger posted:

This generation is more progressive because it's a higher percentage minority. High minority birth rates and rising minority life expectancy combined with falling white birth rates and plummeting working class white life expectancy has always been the way out of this and the liberal path to power. The longer this trend keeps up and the more intense it gets the better for the left.
why do i even bother arguing about this subject with goons? society will not magically get better once boomers die and to think otherwise is wishful thinking

also as someone said, minorities are not a monolithic political culture, either in the US or abroad (rob ford won the mayorship of a majority-minority city)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

magic is literally just being rich

you’re free to never think about mundane needs like food because it will always be available to you though $magic$

crimes against people without $magic$ no longer apply to you because you can just use your $magic$ to get out of it (unless you really go overboard with it, at which point the rest of the people with $magic$ will take you down for giving the game away)

most people with $magic$ got it through pedigree and a family with $magic$ and although occasionally someone with a mundane background acquires $magic$ they are looked down upon by those who were born into it

harry is lifted out of his impoverished life by an inheritance of $magic$ from his deceased parents

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

it is a book for young children

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
does this count

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

does this count

yes imo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

does this count

absolutely

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I believe fashion is a living expression of who you are, and who I am is someone who doesn't want to upset the brass.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Authoritarian strongmen have cross-racial appeal which is why trump did well with non whites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc