Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

We call the cops on people if they are actively attempting to kill themselves while we are on the phone with them, or if we believe that they are absolutely not going to be able to keep themselves or somebody else safe. This does not happen very often, and we try to avoid it if at all possible for obvious reasons.

For example: I have talked to multiple people who called after taking a fistful of pills, who just wanted me to call their loved ones out of spite. Yeah, we send emergency services to go get people like that so they can get to a hospital and not die.

Yeah the one time I actually tried to off myself I had a really loving horrifying experience in the state of Florida mental health system so I'm understandably... suspicious.

Anyway people in this thread: don't kill yourself please, at the very least if you think your life has no value to yourself do poo poo for other people. Seek professional help, it's available. gently caress off to the third world and build schools or something if you need meaning, you can always kill yourself later if it turns out you don't like it. If I had died back then I'd not be in the position I am now, helping others through their problems, providing emotional and financial support, gently caress i'm literally about to take in a homeless trans girl who was kicked out by her insane christian fundie parents and just kinda drifted for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Okay, so I work for the National Suicide Prevention Hotline, and if you are really feeling this way, we are really here for you if you need to talk. You don't need to worry about taking time from somebody who is more important, because you have every right to the same support as anybody else in this godforsaken world.

Sincerely, thank you for doing what you do.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Sincerely, thank you for doing what you do.

Yeah sorry I'm kinda being a bit of a jerk, y'all are great and anyone in this thread please don't let my whining get in the way of calling

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
This thread going from "horrors of capitalism" to "please don't kill yourself" is some rough meta-commentary.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah the one time I actually tried to off myself I had a really loving horrifying experience in the state of Florida mental health system so I'm understandably... suspicious.

Anyway people in this thread: don't kill yourself please, at the very least if you think your life has no value to yourself do poo poo for other people. Seek professional help, it's available. gently caress off to the third world and build schools or something if you need meaning, you can always kill yourself later if it turns out you don't like it. If I had died back then I'd not be in the position I am now, helping others through their problems, providing emotional and financial support, gently caress i'm literally about to take in a homeless trans girl who was kicked out by her insane christian fundie parents and just kinda drifted for years.

No joke, that’s really inspiring.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mirage posted:

This thread going from "horrors of capitalism" to "please don't kill yourself" is some rough meta-commentary.

You're thinking about it all wrong.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Guess I'll just die...Ah wait, can't even afford to do that.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Perry Mason Jar posted:

You're thinking about it all wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc4HQzP73m4

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Jul 30, 2018

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Guess I'll just die...Ah wait, can't even afford to do that.

Man it cost $16,000 to bury my dad, and we picked basically middle of the road options the whole way.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Skypie posted:

Man it cost $16,000 to bury my dad, and we picked basically middle of the road options the whole way.

Yeah but this is the UK where we don't pay for health insurance, let alone dying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

I will probably just try to talk you down, and if I cant do that, I'll make a deal with you where we will call you once every 1 or 2 hours to make sure you are doing okay until you've gotten through the worst of it.

You're going to call us every two hours until we rise up in bloody revolution and hurl our fat cat overlords from their ivory towers?

Skypie posted:

gently caress that, can we avoid the costs if there's no body to bury/create? When I get terminal rear end cancer I want to do something that doesn't leave a body, but also leaves no question for the coroner so they can get the certificate. Any ideas?

Outrail has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Jul 30, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The CEO at my last job had me come over and set up his home network at his rich guy mansion and fix stuff sometimes (which he paid me to do as a contractor so :shrug:) and i distinctly remember I went in to set up some software on his wife's computer and opened the browser and the first loving thing you see in the bookmarks toolbar was a saved search for something like "I can't feel emotions anymore and am dead inside" and the rest of the day I was just all :yikes: and tried to forget I saw it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In america you'll go broke trying to bury your loved ones

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Lunch chat: i walk out the door at noon and show up more or less at 12:30 again and anyone who tries to stop me can shuck my dang cob

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The CEO at my last job had me come over and set up his home network at his rich guy mansion and fix stuff sometimes (which he paid me to do as a contractor so :shrug:) and i distinctly remember I went in to set up some software on his wife's computer and opened the browser and the first loving thing you see in the bookmarks toolbar was a saved search for something like "I can't feel emotions anymore and am dead inside" and the rest of the day I was just all :yikes: and tried to forget I saw it

I think you're duty bound to seduce the wife, if only that for a fleeting moment she can feel something again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The loving hell trip I took to the mental institution cost us $14,000 and I was only there for 2 days (+ 1 in the hospital before that). If we didn't have insurance I'd probably still be working it off, thanks america :thumbsup:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's likely that the amount owed is what wasn't covered by insurance.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Nothing like saddling you with financial debt to make you feel better about your depression!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Laserface posted:

I get 4 weeks vacation a year, 10 sick days a year. And they roll over annually if not used.

And my vacation time incurs a 17.5% loading.

I get paid extra to use my vacation time.

I have like 3 weeks of sick days saved since I don't really get sick besides the week I had off to recover from having wisdom teeth removed.

At this very moment I could leave work for almost two months and end up being paid more than if I had actually worked.

America sounds like literal hell to work in.

It depends on the job. I work a non-salary office government job and get 4 weeks of vacation plus 10 paid holidays plus I'm sitting on about 700 hours of unused sick time because I don't get sick either. Not everyone working in America is either at McDonald's or a CEO.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
We hit our max out of pocket like 3 weeks into the year last year cuz my fiancee had surgery and spent three days recovering in the hospital.

$7500 and I'm finally smashing the last of that with some HSA funds. We tried to time having a kid in the same year so it wouldn't cost us anything in terms of medical payments but her post-op recovery took a pretty long time. Pushed us out of the window where that would work so we decided to do the wedding first

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol the idea that after having a medical crisis (requiring surgery) you should rush to have a baby on the same calendar year is a hilarious condemnation of both capitalism and the United States. Doubly so because it is absolutely a sound decision, as waiting on that baby will increase your cost by thousands of dollars.

What a poo poo hole country we live in lol.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

lol the idea that after having a medical crisis you should rush to have a baby on the same calendar year is a hilarious condemnation of both capitalism and the United States. Doubly so because it is absolutely a sound decision, as waiting on that baby will increase your cost by thousands of dollars.

What a poo poo hole country we live in lol.

Yeah. :smith: I mean, she had a relatively routine surgery, and it had been scheduled since the previous fall. It just took her longer to recover than we anticipated.

Also we might have to do IVF as a result of that surgery and that costs like minimum $5000 per round and lol if you think that's covered by insurance despite this being a red "but think of the families!!!" pro-life state

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Skypie posted:

Yeah. :smith: I mean, she had a relatively routine surgery, and it had been scheduled since the previous fall. It just took her longer to recover than we anticipated.

Also we might have to do IVF as a result of that surgery and that costs like minimum $5000 per round and lol if you think that's covered by insurance despite this being a red "but think of the families!!!" pro-life state

Just adopt, your genes aren't better than anyone else's

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Skypie posted:

Sorry if this is too personal but: have you considered adoption? I realize it costs a bunch too but like, if you're gonna spend money one way or another... Idk the idea of bringing new life into this hell-world when there's already a bunch of sad orphans has always seemed kinda questionable to me. Feel free to tell me to gently caress off though, I realize it's none of my business

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Skypie posted:

We hit our max out of pocket like 3 weeks into the year last year cuz my fiancee had surgery and spent three days recovering in the hospital.

$7500 and I'm finally smashing the last of that with some HSA funds. We tried to time having a kid in the same year so it wouldn't cost us anything in terms of medical payments but her post-op recovery took a pretty long time. Pushed us out of the window where that would work so we decided to do the wedding first

Lmao, how is this real? Jfc

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Bismuth posted:

Just adopt, your genes aren't better than anyone else's

Sir I will have you know that my lineage will one day produce the kwisatz haderach

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Lmao, how is this real? Jfc

AMERICA :911:

Sorry if this is too personal but: have you considered adoption? I realize it costs a bunch too but like, if you're gonna spend money one way or another... Idk the idea of bringing new life into this hell-world when there's already a bunch of sad orphans has always seemed kinda questionable to me. Feel free to tell me to gently caress off though, I realize it's none of my business

We have talked about adoption but not really made a commitment one way or the other. She decidedly did not wanna get knocked up while we were planning the wedding and have to account for a pregnant belly for the wedding dress.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Skypie posted:

We have talked about adoption but not really made a commitment one way or the other. She decidedly did not wanna get knocked up while we were planning the wedding and have to account for a pregnant belly for the wedding dress.

Ah ok. Good luck to you either way :shobon:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Also I think adoptions cost upwards of like $20,000 which is absolutely insane. like lol even if you want to help some baby, you still gotta be rich to afford the adoption agency costs

how is helping children find homes a for-profit business?????

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Skypie posted:

Also I think adoptions cost upwards of like $20,000 which is absolutely insane. like lol even if you want to help some baby, you still gotta be rich to afford the adoption agency costs

Capitalism is cradle to the grave mate.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Skypie posted:

Adoption from foster care costs way less, like 0-2000, so help out sad orphans before adding more human baggage to this hellscape. Getting fancy orphans from agencies can cost a shitload though, but either way you'll probably save money on both the IVF, pregnancy-related medical bills, and lack of maternity leave.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i just told my loved ones to stuff pieces of my body into those flat rate shipping boxes the post office has and mail me to the white house, all told probably run maybe $500 because it'll probably take 10 of the suckers but still thats 1/3rd of the price of that british cremation

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bismuth posted:

fancy orphans

Another lol, courtesy of the capitalist system!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Only some white trash idiot would get an orphan like Tiny Tim. Anyone with class will get a Genuine Darfur Refugee orphan from a reputable dealer.

Now that's a prestigious orphan!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

I'll bet this was a NYT best seller

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Mirage posted:

I do medical scribe work for a family medicine doctor and, no joke, about an hour after I last posted we saw someone with depression and PTSD who said they had some suicidal thoughts sometimes. The doctor asked them if they had anyone they could call or talk to when things got bad and they said not really so I googled the suicide prevention number and we made sure they left there with the number written in a prominent place. I like to think that I would have thought to do so even if I hadn't been reading this thread but it was definitely on my mind.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao if you don’t just donate your organs and body when you die. Conveniently paid for cremation AND you help out society. gently caress funerals and coffins

I hope some hung over med student finger blasts my rear end and accidentally cuts off my dick gently caress this gay earth who cares I’m dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

George H.W. oval office posted:

I hope some hung over med student finger blasts my rear end and accidentally cuts off my dick gently caress this gay earth who cares I’m dead

Same but before I die