Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The two ships I own when I scan them they say discovered by [friend] and not me. I know he hasn't been in my systems at all, and hasn't found my specific ships. I'm noticing a lot of weird things that happen that seem related to both multiplayer stuff and basic procedural stuff. I had to close my game cause the FPS was suddenly plummeting for seemingly no reason. So I landed on a green colored trade station. I came back in and the color of the station was now pink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've just noticed that since the 1.5.1 update I've not seen a single Sentinel on my passive home base planet. Anyone else?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The_Doctor posted:

I've just noticed that since the 1.5.1 update I've not seen a single Sentinel on my passive home base planet. Anyone else?

Murder all the plants!!!!
AND ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have seen this good boye wandering around outside an abandoned building

And my Korvax scientist appears to be uh.. ill.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Macaluso posted:

The two ships I own when I scan them they say discovered by [friend] and not me. I know he hasn't been in my systems at all, and hasn't found my specific ships. I'm noticing a lot of weird things that happen that seem related to both multiplayer stuff and basic procedural stuff. I had to close my game cause the FPS was suddenly plummeting for seemingly no reason. So I landed on a green colored trade station. I came back in and the color of the station was now pink.

Things definitely seem to change sometimes between loads. I mentioned earlier finding a ruin and then returning the next day to see it had a slightly different layout. It also restocked some keys but the artifact crate, despite taking my keys, was actually empty. I also have a based built on a freighter crash site that keeps regenerating cargo in the pods. It also added an additional pod at some point, because I thoroughly scanned and when I came back the next day suddenly I found a new one.

The_Doctor posted:

And my Korvax scientist appears to be uh.. ill.

MissingNo. :stare:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I made the mistake of playing survival mode. Inventory full of poo poo, got a jetpack surge going down a hill, thought "oh cool!". Flew too high and my boosters cut out, fell to my death, lost multiple millions worth of stuff. I had to quit the game for an hour after I realized it had autosaved and you can't recover inventory after dying in survival.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

IcePhoenix posted:

How do I get these I want them possibly more than anything.

Maybe it has something to do with ship type? I've got an Explorer type that doesn't have any additional thruster mods and it only takes 13% per launch.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bullfrog posted:

I made the mistake of playing survival mode. Inventory full of poo poo, got a jetpack surge going down a hill, thought "oh cool!". Flew too high and my boosters cut out, fell to my death, lost multiple millions worth of stuff. I had to quit the game for an hour after I realized it had autosaved and you can't recover inventory after dying in survival.

I don't see how anyone would play Survival/Permadeath mode when the game is in the state it is. I once got thrown into the vacuum of space for selecting a mission from an NPC. I've seen it happen to streamers too. People are also sometimes getting flung into space from teleporters. That would at least be cool if it were part of the flavor for teleporters and death was a minor inconvenience.

One thing I hate about dying in space is that you can basically kiss your exosuit inventory goodbye. You only seem to pick up poo poo with your ship.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Maybe it has something to do with ship type? I've got an Explorer type that doesn't have any additional thruster mods and it only takes 13% per launch.

I have definitely seen them on other ships when I was first trying to trade away my junker but since I was just starting out I obviously didn't have enough money. Once I start exploring and scanning stuff though with my new scanner mod I should be able to start buying stuff pretty easily though.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I was excited to get a Freighter and some frigates. Except now they have a damaged component that isn't showing up when I land on them, so they're permanently broken. Tried warping to a new system, reloading saves, etc.

Additionally, I can't even manually warp my Freighter because it says it doesn't have fuel, despite the hyperdrive engine being 100% full.

I just want to manage my little space fleet, and these bugs are seriously ruining this poo poo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Protip: When shopping for new ships, you can use your scan visor to see the price, class, Tier rank, slots + tech slots, so you don't have to run up and talk to them.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

ToastyPotato posted:

Protip: When shopping for new ships, you can use your scan visor to see the price, class, Tier rank, slots + tech slots, so you don't have to run up and talk to them.

I love you.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I was not able to play Survival effectively at all hth

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah I put some hours into survival and got mad and stopped it loving sucked. Normal is a lot better. Although the freighter event doesn't seem to have procced even though I already started the artemis/apollo stuff. Welp

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ToastyPotato posted:

:aaaaa:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

emdash posted:

is there a reliable way to get vy'keen daggers for the weapons terminal questline dude?

Go to a trade post in vykeen space, the visiting traders almost always sell the local rep items

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Phobeste posted:

Yeah I put some hours into survival and got mad and stopped it loving sucked. Normal is a lot better. Although the freighter event doesn't seem to have procced even though I already started the artemis/apollo stuff. Welp

It is easier to accept if you just pretend freighters are a random luck thing until they fix them. The number of bugs concerning freighters is currently just absurd.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I played and enjoyed survival mode enough in the last update, so that influenced my decision this time. But it was a huge mistake because I underestimated just how different things were.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Powershift posted:

I lost 50 hours. Both autosave and manual save are hosed :negative:

Here's my quick start guide: don't
This allowed me to restore most of my save
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/930ia2/massive_save_destroying_bug_that_may_be_effecting/e3a1g67/

Krogort fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 30, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

*Disclaimer, this makes you lose your discoveries, since the bug is corrupting discoveries.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Apparently the experimental patch available for STEAM players prevents that, but won’t (yet, apparently) fix already busted saves. I haven’t had a chance to try out the experimental.

Being unable to fix my frigates and ignoring them until a patch fixed them sort of unintentionally saved me from doing bunches of expeditions though. Bugs saving me from worse bugs. :v:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
This game is gonna be so cool if they ever fix all the bugs and make some QoL improvements. Says a lot that I don’t feel cheated for paying $30 for what is at best a beta.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Noctone posted:

This game is gonna be so cool if they ever fix all the bugs and make some QoL improvements. Says a lot that I don’t feel cheated for paying $30 for what is at best a beta.

Naw, the Beta/Early access was the last two years, this is just first week jitters that happen with a lot of games.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Noctone posted:

Actually, yeah, I'm curious to see if they treat this as a new "Day 0" and go from here adding more stuff. I know they mentioned something like weekly events to participate in, I would like to see them really expand on it now that there's a pretty solid base for a good game here.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

..btt posted:

Gonna do a detailed write-up on sentinels since they're a minor irritant to me but seem to be wrecking some goons:

:words:

Davoren posted:

On sentinels, if you're being scanned with a blue marker you don't even have to run away, just stop harvesting, wait for the scan to finish, then carry on when they turn their back.

Not sure how some are having problems with the passive ones, they're pretty easy to predict.

..btt posted:

Some people are staggeringly unobservant, they just can't connect cause and effect. Particularly goons, in my experience playing video games with them. This game obscures a lot of its mechanics, intentionally or not, which doesn't help. Then there's the bugs.

Nobody is arguing that they are difficult to manage on the ground. They're arguing that they're bugged. Limited sentinels shouldn't care if you harvest non-animal stuff, yet they do. The tooltips say that if you kill sentinels quick enough, they won't summon more - they always do. If you fly your ship into space while being pursued by sentinels, you cannot shake them unless you go back to a planet and hide in a building. The issue right now is that if you DO upset the sentinels, there is only one resolution, and that's to hide. Usually in a building because they'll go in caves sometimes. There is zero point to sentinel combat unless you have a mission that requires it because it is buggy and is unwinnable. If they fix it so that the sentinels that aren't supposed to care about certain things don't care, fix the endless pursuit in space, and fix combat not being any sort of winnable option with sentinels, then the rest is fine. Sentinels as designed are fine. Buggy sentinels are not. That is the complaint, it's not that they're too difficult to avoid. They're not adding anything to gameplay right now except making you stop what you're doing until they gently caress off and/or hide if you're not paying attention. Fix the bugs and then they have a point again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I keep going into frigates and magically getting spaced and die in a matter of seconds and theres all these graves now :saddowns:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The fix wasn't exactly that, but i was able to figure it out. Thanks

ToastyPotato posted:

*Disclaimer, this makes you lose your discoveries, since the bug is corrupting discoveries.

The discoveries are the last thing listed in the save file, which is limited to 8mb, so when the game replicates your expedition seeds 320,000 times :psyduck: your discovery data gets pushed out

e: if course i reloaded in space, but luckily had enough jetpack to fly over and land on my ship and get in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

buglord posted:

I keep going into frigates and magically getting spaced and die in a matter of seconds and theres all these graves now :saddowns:

I flew to a damaged frigate of mine that happened to be just in the planet's atmosphere. I went up to and as I was going to land, the model disappeared. The green glowey landing graphic was still there so I landed anyway, and then got out. I then proceeded to plummet to the ground. Luckily I was able to land safetly cause of the jetpack but if the frigate hadn't been in space I would've just lost everything. Also thankfully I had fuel in my starship so I could call it down to me. :thumbsup:

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I loved having to do the "build fleet command" mission 4 times because everytime I went to place it I lost all my silver from the game trying to change the walls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DigitalFoundry posted a rundown of all the different ways in which the PC version is a technical mess, although I imagine most of us are aware of at least some of these already.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

emdash posted:

That’s how it is (and how it was when it came out iirc). It’s not reputed to cause hardware problems although the game will crash if you just stand still in a space station long enough

It absolutely was not that way when I played it when it came out. So everyone playing on PS4 can't hear what's going because the fan is so loud?!? I guess I will just not play this lol.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I haven’t noticed my PS4 Slim making any more noise than normal with the game, seems to be a Pro issue.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There are some weird exotic ships out there.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
There seem to no longer be any hostile creatures.

Not sure if that's intentional, or is a bug.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

There seem to no longer be any hostile creatures.

Not sure if that's intentional, or is a bug.

Find an abandoned structure with eggs growing around it and try to take one of those eggs.

Another bug: the planters never need to be recharged unless you accidentally select them.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Are there planets without life? I have yet to find one

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hello internet posted:

Are there planets without life? I have yet to find one

Yes, there are baren and dead planets, mainly around red or white stars. red or white stars often have no space station as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Vy'keen are a bunch of losers with stupid faces. Glory to the glorious Gek empire who will one day hopefully crush the Vy'keen and wipe them out from the galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Also what is the reason that leads to frigates in expeditions getting severely damaged and having to be recalled back, and how do I rectify that?

Even doing a one star mission my frigate keeps getting damaged.