Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Too many people, that is the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
dang you’ll probably have to spend 20 minutes instead of 10 that really stinks

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
When I buy the shiny new expansion that promises to fix everything wrong with D2 the last thing I want to do is delete 10000 shaders by hand. Not the first thing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shaders didn't even need to be consumables in the first place lol

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The thing that really confuses me about the shaders is that a consumable system makes sense from a business perspective if you get only a couple of them and then can buy more for real money, but somehow they never really put in the second part. Like Tess will sell 4 shaders a week, but it's just 4 randomly picked ones, it's not like you can really buy the one you wanted to get.

I wonder if they planned to put more of an emphasis on buying different shaders but then had to step it back.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Xarbala posted:

Shaders didn't even need to be consumables in the first place lol

$$$

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fathis Munk posted:

The thing that really confuses me about the shaders is that a consumable system makes sense from a business perspective if you get only a couple of them and then can buy more for real money, but somehow they never really put in the second part. Like Tess will sell 4 shaders a week, but it's just 4 randomly picked ones, it's not like you can really buy the one you wanted to get.

I wonder if they planned to put more of an emphasis on buying different shaders but then had to step it back.

Buy bright engrams guardian, you might get the one you want!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

RIP Sparrow Racing League, a game mode too good for this demon cracker game.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I started playing No Man's Sky instead, is this game good yet

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
it’s better than NMS

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I really don't understand having to visit a vendor to delete just five shaders at a time. Like, there are other buttons on the loving controller - can't you just make one delete a shader and another delete a lot of shaders? How hosed is the backend on this game?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Shaders give rewards, so.. yeah, pretty hosed

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Kessel posted:

I really don't understand having to visit a vendor to delete just five shaders at a time. Like, there are other buttons on the loving controller - can't you just make one delete a shader and another delete a lot of shaders? How hosed is the backend on this game?

They could do it all simple-like but Bungie, as a design philosophy, love convoluted and bad solutions.

Their tools are convoluted and bad as well, yes, but this is something they debated in a meeting room for a combined 1500 hours and purposely went with.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kessel posted:

hosed is the backend

*running breathlessly into thread*

this doesn't seem like such a bad thing

*collapses*

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kessel posted:

How hosed is the backend on this game?

It took them like a week to fix Prometheus Lens.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

1stGear posted:

This still makes me giggle, a week to change a single number.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Didn't it take them months to fix pro lens?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Yeah they “fixed” it within a week and then fixed it months later.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kessel posted:

long presses are built into the database somehow

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Siljmonster posted:

long presses are built into the database somehow

"We've had to get rid of all your stuff and move to destiny 3, not so you can delete shaders with an F press, not so you can delete five shaders with an F press, but so you can delete shaders with half an F press. What's half an F press you say? Well..."

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Something that kind of got glossed over in that Q&A was the changes to infusions.

If I understood him right, weapon infusions are per slot rather than weapon type by default. They made it sound like there's a scaling cost from slot, to weapon type, to duplicate being cheapest. By design this makes Y1 infusions costlier, but probably makes it easier to level up weapons as a whole.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

1stGear posted:

To be fair, that was because Sony's patch QA held up the process.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Remember like a decade back when the certification process was a headache for small quick patches and the Call of Duty devs claimed to have a workaround that'd let them tinker with poo poo without necessitating an actual patch?

I'm pretty sure that was always some BS that never panned out but lol 2018.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That wasn’t BS. They do that for minor updates like gun balancing.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

My antenna is up on this. Pure speculation but I think it’s very possible. It seems like such a set up question because if I recall, there was no follow-up at all to this and they answered it pretty nonchalantly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah don't rewrite history here - they intentionally broke Prom Lens into total gutter trash after about one week

And they buffed it back to a serviceable state about 3.5 months later

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

My antenna is up on this. Pure speculation but I think it’s very possible. It seems like such a set up question because if I recall, there was no follow-up at all to this and they answered it pretty nonchalantly.

what would a rarity above exotic look like? what would it even do? i can't help but feel like this would just be 'bad exotics stay exotic, good exotics become black rarity' or something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The New Monarchy Succession shader looks so good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what would a rarity above exotic look like? what would it even do? i can't help but feel like this would just be 'bad exotics stay exotic, good exotics become black rarity' or something.

Make a Lucas Cage exotic hunter hood that makes you invuln to bullets for a little bit after dodging.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Make a Lucas Cage exotic hunter hood that makes you invuln to bullets for a little bit after dodging.

HAW HAW HAWWW YEAH! Sweet Christmas!

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Mill Village posted:

That wasn’t BS. They do that for minor updates like gun balancing.

Bungie also has a small system for this, but it's really weird what they can patch and what they can't. Pull a Strike out of rotation? no problem. Disable a gun so nobody can use it? Easy. Change a gun's damage so it does 10 less? 50mb client patch, gotta go through QA. See ya in a week for a one number change.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RocketRaygun posted:

Bungie also has a small system for this, but it's really weird what they can patch and what they can't. Pull a Strike out of rotation? no problem. Disable a gun so nobody can use it? Easy. Change a gun's damage so it does 10 less? 50mb client patch, gotta go through QA. See ya in a week for a one number change.

Some of them are JSON some of them are XML. Sometimes a gun is hardcoded sometimes it's a float for no reason.

Bungie is good at making live operated games.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-wsax7sps

Solstice of heroes trailer

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Wile from the euro clan has put together a spreadsheet with the datamined requirements for the solstice armor upgrades, this might be useful to people so I'll share it here with his permission
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sRzchRMMhMf9QRBFzLf5fbx9xkk9HmOconygXC5TAc0/edit#gid=0

Some of those are really grindy bullshit imo.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah but you have like 30 days to do it and the only remotely challenging thing on that list will be doing presitge raid, and even then that's old hat.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
PvP :nallears:

Are arc/solar/void orbs normal orbs generated by supers/guns of that type, or is it something new? I'm not sure if they've ever used the term "arc orb" before. This actually looks pretty easy unless the orb stuff is going to be tedious collecting, which is very possible. Having a month to do it is better than trying to bust stuff out in a week, and a lot of the requirements are just stuff that I do normally.

Siljmonster posted:

Some of them are JSON some of them are XML. Sometimes a gun is hardcoded sometimes it's a float for no reason.

Bungie is good at making live operated games.
Something can be hardcoded and a float. Is this sourced from something? I'd be interested in reading about the implementation.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 30, 2018

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Elysiume posted:

Are arc/solar/void orbs normal orbs generated by supers/guns of that type, or is it something new?

It's new, apparently they will provide a stacking damage buff, but I don't think we know how they will spawn yet ?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fathis Munk posted:

Wile from the euro clan has put together a spreadsheet with the datamined requirements for the solstice armor upgrades, this might be useful to people so I'll share it here with his permission
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sRzchRMMhMf9QRBFzLf5fbx9xkk9HmOconygXC5TAc0/edit#gid=0

Only one of those I'm concerned about is the "Reach Legend" in PvP. If it's not retroactive, that's some loving bullshit.

EDIT: The 130 Super kills seems extreme too, especially for just getting past the Uncommon step.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
130 super kills is like ten public events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fathis Munk posted:

So do these drop at your current light level or at 400 light?

Then you complete challenges and it ranks them up from blue all the way to masterwork?

Is there a good place to read up about how this event will work?

• Locked thread