Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Greggy posted:

oh yeah, and the recent Joe Mande George Carlin takedown was really good.
I really liked that one but also was wary recommending it because it seemed like the kind of episode that might be the one to start with. (Some of the guests - like Mande - act like they are either not impressed with the routine or don't get it which I think leads to some confusion to new listener.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

Barring that the episode where they interview the engineers is super fun,

This is hilarious. It was recorded when Comedy Bang Bang was deepest in the "let's play a game" structure, and the boys grow increasingly baffled and angry that it's a show. So good.

edit: Also, Brian Huskey's first appearance and the Teen Pope script read is the episode that completely sold me on the show, so maybe give that one a shot.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

JethroMcB posted:

Brandon Content, A WolfCool Exclusive Character

Okay, I think I found my starting point. Holy poo poo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

edit: Also, Brian Huskey's first appearance and the Teen Pope script read is the episode that completely sold me on the show, so maybe give that one a shot.

IMO it's probably the best thing the show ever did. I like early HH more than the later episodes though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
What if it WAS the world trade center?

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
Once you've gotten your sea legs with it, if you like hearing on-air disasters, definitely revisit the Pauly Shore episode.

The Julie Klausner/Tom Scharpling eps are very good. Scharpling was my entry point to HH and his appearances on the show (and their appearances on the Best Show) are worth tracking down.

They went on a real tear last year about being guests on other podcasts and generated some real inside baseball episodes but they're some of the best if you're familiar with other podcasts. The one with Kulap where they do a "Who's Charted" chart and the one where they have Paul F Tompkins on and hijack Spontaneanation are pretty good. If you like Brandon Content, "Higher and Mightier" makes good use of Wengert too, and the followup, "The Wendigabrus", is a good payoff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love that I still have about half the HH back catalogue that's fairly new to me. It look me a long time to get into it (like most) so revisiting those episodes now that I'm a devotee as well as skipping all the earlier ones where I didn't know who their guests were is always a delight.

Though I prefer the newer, less structured, more cynical Hayes and Sean who constantly bump up against their feelings of failure. Back when they were bright-eyed hurts a little. They... probably would not like to hear that feedback.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JohnnyC posted:

Once you've gotten your sea legs with it, if you like hearing on-air disasters, definitely revisit the Pauly Shore episode.

The Julie Klausner/Tom Scharpling eps are very good. Scharpling was my entry point to HH and his appearances on the show (and their appearances on the Best Show) are worth tracking down.

They went on a real tear last year about being guests on other podcasts and generated some real inside baseball episodes but they're some of the best if you're familiar with other podcasts. The one with Kulap where they do a "Who's Charted" chart and the one where they have Paul F Tompkins on and hijack Spontaneanation are pretty good. If you like Brandon Content, "Higher and Mightier" makes good use of Wengert too, and the followup, "The Wendigabrus", is a good payoff.

The Wendigabrus ep made me cut back on listening to so many podcasts. There were some jokes in it that requires the listener to be familiar with HH, Doughboys, High and Mighty and the personal lives of all the hosts. I took it as some kind of warning sign. I mean I have a commute and everything but I don’t have THAT long of a commute.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Can we start a poll as to whether or not the Pauly Shore interview is real? Some people think it is, but he seems to be totally in character to me.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

episode #122: Deadpool, Our Close Fiend was extremely good, iirc

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Did I miss Big Lake? How has no one mentioned Big Lake?

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
I don't think those big event format-breaking episodes are as funny if you haven't listened to the other ones to get a feel for the show honestly. Just jump in. Start from the beginning if you really want to.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Start from the beginning of RSS honestly

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Start from the beginning of RSS honestly

Tanks.... But not tanks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Somberbrero posted:

Did I miss Big Lake? How has no one mentioned Big Lake?

You know, maybe I'll listen to it again to give it another chance but I almost feel like Gethard leaned too hard into it—though admittedly it felt very much in the realm of the Sinbad/Dave Thomas episodes. He nailed the premise of the show, but so well that it felt like it was out of a different podcast. Like, it was too far removed from reality for my tastes compared to the average episode.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

You know, maybe I'll listen to it again to give it another chance but I almost feel like Gethard leaned too hard into it—though admittedly it felt very much in the realm of the Sinbad/Dave Thomas episodes. He nailed the premise of the show, but so well that it felt like it was out of a different podcast. Like, it was too far removed from reality for my tastes compared to the average episode.

If Dave Holmes can be The Noid and Joe Wengert can talk to a trash can named Douglas who craves human fluids, Chris Gethard can be possessed by the demon Josh Franklin.

(Really the funniest part of the Hayes/Gethard episode is Gethard asking "who added all those racial jokes" when discussing the one Big Lake episode where Hayes is the credited writer.)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I agree with this to the extent that I think it's basically not an episode of Hollywood Handbook, since Gethard made it his own thing (and the ending in particular was closer to CBB's sensibility than HH's), but I still think it's one of the funniest episodes they've put out. I lost it when the prostitute told him it was her father's birthday.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Adam pallys eps were really good, especially the first one really early on in the show

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Adam pallys eps were really good, especially the first one really early on in the show

“Follow Adam Twitter,”

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Off Book is clearly kinda magical even as a recorded show, but their Just For Laughs live podcast was so cool to see done in person. They’re touring, so consider checking it out!

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 28, 2018

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Can we start a poll as to whether or not the Pauly Shore interview is real? Some people think it is, but he seems to be totally in character to me.

Pauly Shore seems like one of those "actors" who is onenote and that one note is pretty much just their IRL personality. Admittedly I'm not intimate with all his works, but from what I've seen on screen and in interviews he is just Pauly Shore everytime only when he's in movies they sometimes change his name.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pauly Shore was definitely not just doing a bit. I'm pretty sure Sean and Hayes talked about it on Doughboys.

Edit: I mean he's definitely playing a character to some extent, but I get the impression that's just how he lives his life, and not anything he was doing specifically for the show. Here's an article about how he was lovely to his intern that suggests he never really stops:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8gdxwb/i-interned-for-pauly-shore-and-it-really-sucked

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 28, 2018

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
On the subject of old HH episodes, one of the old Paul Rust (I think) episodes features the boys calling iTunes support to try to get a factually inaccurate review taken down (it said they sucked). One of my favorite early bits.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Crindee posted:

On the subject of old HH episodes, one of the old Paul Rust (I think) episodes features the boys calling iTunes support to try to get a factually inaccurate review taken down (it said they sucked). One of my favorite early bits.

iTunes review is in the second Jon Gabrus episode, second Paul Rust episode has them reading personal messages to business associates because their phones are broken ("This message is to my doctor; He is...a rear end in a top hat doctor.")

Looking through these, around that time was the Patrick Walsh episode, which is a low-key favorite of mine. It's the show at its most basic, with a guest you've never heard of getting the show immediately. He quickly establishes his own backstory as a child producer in 1980's Hollywood, which leads into a bit where they recount famously fraught relationships they've had on set.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Seconding the Patrick Walsh ep as an underrated gem. Sean goes on a ten-minute improv thing during ‘That’s Wheely Interesting’ that might be my all-time favorite moment on the show.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

the mike still episode is in my top 10. they spend a lot of time discussing showbusiness and mike's son who blew his hands off.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I've relistened to the Mopes trilogy on improv4humans recently and I just listened to the Off Book with Jon Gabrus. If Gabrus and McKenna aren't involved with some one season ensemble comedy I'm going to be very disappointed in the world. I'm not asking for much here.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I don’t miss too many old segments but the that’s wheely interesting ep with Brian Baumgartner’s BBQ (I’m talking about slow cooking these riiiibs) and Gmail roulette where Macklemore commiserates with Hayes about how it’s not cool to like fancy things now that black people can have them are all time favorites to me.

I should really check out the pro version. Is the app not insanely broken any more. Can you actually search for eps?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

cams posted:

the mike still episode is in my top 10. they spend a lot of time discussing showbusiness and mike's son who blew his hands off.

I think about "SNL: Sam No Likey" on a pretty regular basis

Tarranon posted:

I should really check out the pro version. Is the app not insanely broken any more. Can you actually search for eps?

No the Stitcher App is still insanely bad. Use the Unofficial RSS feeds

https://stitcher-rss.128.io/

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Both my stitcher and podcast addict have been unable to download episodes due to a soundcloud error, is this happening to anyone else?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I think about "SNL: Sam No Likey" on a pretty regular basis
i also think of the phrase "live, from new york: sam no likey!" at least once a week

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Today's Spont...

Poor, poor Paul. What a commendable job he did of keeping that guest going for a full 15 minutes. I think he learned a very important lesson today.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
And that lesson was?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't interview kids, no matter how adorable the idea sounds on paper.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 30, 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What is it about being on stage that you like?

uh...i guess the adrenaline rush

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Spelling bee champ, huh? Sounds like this is the work of Big Scripps, dictating content.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
“What kind of books did you like when you were younger” was pretty funny.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
A singing Drew Tarver character is guaranteed to make me lose it.

Also Scott's frustration at the point system for the Oscar party games hits a little too close to home.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Franchescanado posted:

A singing Drew Tarver character is guaranteed to make me lose it.

It's phenomenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is it just me or are Earwolf shows really trying to make a T-shirt for every episode?