Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Baronjutter posted:

So I have a problem. I have these pretty sea-walls that have nice built-in railings. They look lovely, but no one walks on them since they aren't a path or street of any kind. I can covertly lay pedestrian paths inside of them as bridges, but the bridges have their own railings on both sides. But what if I want buildings along them? Can I sink a road in? I can! But then the terrain deforms up all around it a tile wide both sides and fucks up my sea-wall. Is there any option to get a pedestrian path or street hidden up in a quay without it deforming the terrain? Some railingless-bridge?

Try these invisible pedestrian paths. (Terrain conforming and can be elevated)

edit: content for new page-

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats ace

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Crisis Now posted:

Try these invisible pedestrian paths. (Terrain conforming and can be elevated)

edit: content for new page-

Ho. Ly. SHIIIIIT

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I watched a tutorial on that double-decker bridge system, looks really slick. I wish we had more bridges-as-networks out there so we could fill them with anything we want.

Started a new project, very early but trying some new stuff.

Going to have a very old city inside the remains of a medieval city wall.

Getting some actually usable river-front was a huge pain, but there's secret roads buried under the wall props and quay.

Old 16th century bridge leading into the historic core.

The map will hopefully not just be one big city but dotted with some villages and farmland. I hate doing farmland, so much work for so little in-game reward, but they look good when done right.

Valley village

River mouth village

The worst interchange I've ever built. I loving hate highways and dealing with them, will need to work something better out one day.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone know of a nice Victorian style passenger train station or small town freight shed asset that would look hood in a small northeastern town?

I'm having a bitch of a time finding either on the workshop.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Control Volume posted:

Do you drive much, my dude? Stopped cars in a high speed road, especially when its somewhat busy so other cars are obscuring vision, are some of the scariest things on the road I've experienced, probably ranking only a little below black ice

I also think a little explanation for what a smart motorway is is required. Basically in England, you can designate a motorway if you have two separated carriageways of a minimum of two (but the norm is three) lanes of traffic and a hard shoulder, which is essentially an unused lane for people to pull into if they breakdown, need a piss, want to take a selfie, what the gently caress ever. The government, seeing an increase in road use due to a shocking lack of investment in any public transport infrastructure, have started looking at ways to increase capacity by making most motorways into "smart motorways". Now the initial thinking behind these was to convert the unused hard shoulder into a usable fourth lane in during periods of high demand, alongside using speed cameras and signage to restrict speeds and keep traffic flowing. Now naturally, most of the motorways converted to smart motorways so far are in fairly built up areas, so there is no room to create a fifth lane for a hard shoulder, and also the plan to keep most smart motorways at three lanes except during rush hour has gone out of the window, meaning that on a section of smart motorway, there is nowhere for you to put your car if you breakdown except for tiny refuge run-off areas which are, if I remember rightly, very infrequent. So it is perfectly feasible, especially during the start of rush hour to run into an about to break down car on a motorway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Do you drive much, my dude? Stopped cars in a high speed road, especially when its somewhat busy so other cars are obscuring vision, are some of the scariest things on the road I've experienced, probably ranking only a little below black ice

Yeah "there is a random chance that your lane might become a car park" is not the best road design I've ever heard.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Control Volume posted:

I actually had the experience yesterday. Travelling along, truck in front of me signals to turn right, i figure he needs to be in that lane to get to the motorway, so fair enough. I continue along.

I then slam on my breaks because what's actually happened is a car broken down, the trucker couldn't turn until the last second because the rear end in a top hat in the other lane wouldn't let him in so I nearly rear ended a car that I had under a second to respond to. This isn't even motorway speeds, i think i was going 55mph.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Man, why didnt I find the move it mod earlier? It's made it so much easier to lay railroad tracks with proper grades. This game really is a completely different game once you remove the game elements like money and just turn it into a model railroad.

Btw, are there any other "here's how cities form realistically" YouTube series that you reccomend beside donoteat's awesome series?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone know of a nice Victorian style passenger train station or small town freight shed asset that would look hood in a small northeastern town?

I'm having a bitch of a time finding either on the workshop.

There's a couple of rural/town UK-style train stations here and here. There's also some older Japanese stations that drew heavily on European architectural styles, so maybe one of them wouldn't look too out of place.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There's also Vikersund station, which looks a lot like an old American clapboard-siding station.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm using plop the growables to put down buildings but they keep deleting themselves due to no workers or dead bodies or whatever. Is there a way to turn all that poo poo off so they never disappear?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Finally getting around to working on the beach area, and I was able to hack together a functional beach chairs and umbrellas prop in the asset editor out of the Nature Reserve tent (by hiding the tent under a umbrella) but what I'd really like is an invisible nature reserve path so people will just walk on the beach normally. This is what I have now, and its not quite the beach I'm looking for though it functions for the time being. I can't even begin to figure out much of anything in asset editor as far as making an invisible park path. Anybody know how to do it?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
The laziest way, if you don't care about prop count limits, would be to plaster sandy decals on top.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chief Savage Man posted:

Finally getting around to working on the beach area, and I was able to hack together a functional beach chairs and umbrellas prop in the asset editor out of the Nature Reserve tent (by hiding the tent under a umbrella) but what I'd really like is an invisible nature reserve path so people will just walk on the beach normally. This is what I have now, and its not quite the beach I'm looking for though it functions for the time being. I can't even begin to figure out much of anything in asset editor as far as making an invisible park path. Anybody know how to do it?

Or just download https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1213488864 from the workshop. Or are you doing some sort of "vanilla-only" challenge?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

hailthefish posted:

Or just download https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1213488864 from the workshop. Or are you doing some sort of "vanilla-only" challenge?

I tried this before and I swear it didn't work but now it does. Thanks.

I should probably make more buildings for variety but I'm just glad to have a working beach for the first time ever. It's been a real bother for me since release.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Chief Savage Man posted:

I tried this before and I swear it didn't work but now it does. Thanks.

I should probably make more buildings for variety but I'm just glad to have a working beach for the first time ever. It's been a real bother for me since release.

could you release these ? they would actually be very useful

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This has been my favourite and go-to beach for the longest time. It's simple and gets people playing on the beach and water.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=488449222&searchtext=local+beach

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey does anyone have a name of what mod allows you to plop things hand have them instantly built? Whenever I plop I have to wait for it to build like if I zoned the building.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Little more progress on the new city. Never really made one along a river before, it's on the coast too of course because my brain can't process the idea of a non-coastal city but it's got some good river action going on too.

Really liking the "tufts" set of grass detailing, easy to use and makes open fields look so much nicer.

Park with a pond, still never quite happy with the parks I make :(

River and bridge tower

Trying to have more green areas in the city, even if they're tiny and just a some benches.

Tried to make the old city wall look ruined here

This block has an interior driveway that let me make the buildings all "deeper" by having extensions/additions facing the courtyard.

The poor old city wall area relegated to surface parking. I like the grass and bushes farther along though.

To get trams up this hill required some switchbacks to maintain a low grade, gave a fun opportunity for a bridge and a park where it's too steep to build.

Outside of the more historic core will be a grid of more dense turn of the century housing.

Riverfront docks

Map of the city so far. Really need to get rid of those ugly temporary wind towers

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jadebullet posted:

Hey does anyone have a name of what mod allows you to plop things hand have them instantly built? Whenever I plop I have to wait for it to build like if I zoned the building.

Plop the growables does this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've become addicted to stairs, love stairs now.

Got a nice planter set that you can mash together to make all sorts of organic shapes.

Under the park bridge looking at the city gate tower.

Tower gate perfectly frames the astronomical clock tower, didn't even plan it.

I will always prefer photo-realistic textures over games with an 'art style' like Simcity 5 or a lot of CO's vanilla buildings.

The university is also a busy tram hub with two busy lines meeting. Need to get some nice tram stop props and make shelters and platforms.

Love grassy tram track.

Tracks on tracks on a custom bridge.

Love this bridge network so much, wish it came in a road or "empty" version.

Hilly neighbourhood.

Harbour

Cute tiny shops

Built a "fast tram" out to the nearest village, actually gets a ton of use.

Region so far

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 1, 2018

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've made a general Urban Planning thread in D&D and our good friend donoteat's videos have already been referenced by someone who had no idea he was a goon.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864792

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
BaronJutter giving me a very Tallinn, Estonia vibe there.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

donoteat posted:

OK I'm actually really happy about how this one turned out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseaKBPkRPU

These are great, i found them from a link in another thread.I'm only sorry i found them at this early stage as now i've watched them all already.
Like a few other people itt I'm also all in favour of as high of a narration:cinematics ratio as you can manage without burning yourself out.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
baron those shots are amazing. I love looking at your photos!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hey goons.

I put like 200h into this game after release before dropping it, looking to get back into the swing of things thanks to one of my buddies talking about it.
I nuked my subscribed mods list (except a few buildings I really liked) and am looking for some must-have mods. I bet all the stuff I used to use is hella outdated now.

Is the OP still accurate for that or does somebody have a nice reference list/guide for must have mods?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
The OP hasn't been updated in like 3 years.... an awful lot has changed in terms of mods since then.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Zedd posted:

Hey goons.

I put like 200h into this game after release before dropping it, looking to get back into the swing of things thanks to one of my buddies talking about it.
I nuked my subscribed mods list (except a few buildings I really liked) and am looking for some must-have mods. I bet all the stuff I used to use is hella outdated now.

Is the OP still accurate for that or does somebody have a nice reference list/guide for must have mods?

TMPE, Move It, Precision Engineering, Metro Overhaul Mod, Plop the Growables, Ploppable RICO High Desnity Fix, Fine Road Angles, Fine Road Anarchy, No Abandonment, Prop Line Tool, Prop & Tree Anarchy, Ploppable Asphalt +, Force Level Up, Surface Painter, Prop Precision, Loading Screen Mod, Find It!, Network Skins, Move It!, Network Extensions 2, Network Skins, NoPillars, and Cross the Line.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Totally new to this game, probably the most fun I've had with a sim-cityish game since Pharoah.

Only problem is disasters are constantly turbofucking my city. A tornado just wiped out about 1200 of my maybe 3500 inhabitants. Queue me posting here to bitch about it, only to realize there's a slider to turn down disaster frequency. :downs:

Goddamit.

Edit:is there an easy way to cheat in a lump sum of money?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 7, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The best way to handle disasters is to not even buy the disasters DLC in the first place.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Good point, but the disaster recovery center and other guff appealed to my inner 8-year old.

If nothing else, it has inspired some fun names. The Waterfront Tsunami Memorial Fun Park, DoomHenge (a random henge at the side of the city which is now surrounded by gulleys from earthquakes)and the main thoroughfare which I fatefully dubbed Tornado Alley shortly before the second apocalyptic tornado hit.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
Tried to emulate the look of The City from Mirror's Edge.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That looks really cool, is this with the Mirror's Edge LUT?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407007139

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Zedd posted:

That looks really cool, is this with the Mirror's Edge LUT?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407007139

I tried using that but it just didn't seem quite right, washed things out too much and wasn't enough colour.

I put together a collection of buildings that seemed most appriopriate and also used the Painter mod to help make the buildings look more white while not losing colour elsewhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah mirrors edge uses a quite strong blue ambient light for the diffuse skylighting which yours does much better than that, it's less that it has extremely strong sunlight and that it has particularly dark shadows and collects the majority of the diffusion from the sky rather than reflected off the white buildings. Otherwise yes you would get snowblindness from the white everywhere.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm totally addicted to stairs!

Stairs are fussy, people's legs and even hips will often sink into even the best laid stairs, but it's worth it. Climb to the top and get a view!

Slow progress, but progress.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I've been working on a city based on the anthracite coal region of PA set in the 1940s and have been assembling a nice catelog of assets.

Anyway, there are two things that I'm having trouble finding and was wondering if anyone who has been deeper into the game knows of any assets similar to these.

The first is houses. Specifically this style of packed together row houses that are all over the region.

The second is a bit more doubtful, but does anyone know of anything that looks similar to a breaker/colliery?

Thanks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I started a new city with the aim of spending more time on it than my usual 'spend hours on junctions and just zone everything else' and I'm genuinely having a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Every time I have the itch to play Skylines I visit this thread them immediately nope out as anything I make would feel inadequate.