Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Butt Discussin posted:

Kenji helps.

Can he or Krupa contact Julian or Mother Bear quickly and ask them for help?

Can spirits that can fly carry spirits of man there faster? Maybe Coach would be more willing to allow student help that way, since it keeps students on the island completely?

Students are already on their way to go get Mother Bear and Julian for reasons which are not clear, since Coach Bolt was able to contact island security.

I'm actually not sure about spirits that can fly carrying a spirit of man. Sending spirits a long way is possible though. The main impediment is the water.

I'll say it's possible. I'd roll dice to see if the spirit slips or not which would slow stuff down.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Voting for Kenji to help out, specifics to be determined by others who are more savvy than I.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Why’s everyone wanting to go behind Bolt’s back, that is a capital B Bad Idea. And really this is hella out of Kenji’s perview.

E: not to mention we’re on Blake Island, we couldn’t make contact with the mages we know off island if we wanted to anyway, before the proper authorities got there.

numerrik fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 30, 2018

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
People are dying and that really sucks, but the only person that he actually has access to is Sasha, and she's Pack, and he's not going to send her into an unknown Bad poo poo situation to try to save some anonymous strangers. People die in Seattle every day, and he not-helps-them in the exact same way every day. It sucks, but it's real, and Kenji's loyal to a fault - and I do mean to a fault.

What he does and should do, though, is do is absolute, very best to convince Bolt that something needs to be done. If Mother Bear can grab some trusted healer students for an emergency operation, that could save a shitton of lives in a way that keeps everyone safe. Under absolutely no other circumstances should students be sent from the island to go help out with this truly awful situation.

But in the city, in whatever hospital ward Julie's in right now, when she feels that thump I'm hoping that she and Chip spring into action by Astral Processing there totally independently but in a manner not unlike Krupa. Julie's a trained first responder, and Chip is a spirit that can heal people. This is totally independent from what's happening on Blake Island.

So, my vote is for Kenji to try to talk to Bolt, and for Julie to be doing her own poo poo because she can't help herself.

jagadaishio fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 30, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Sufficiently powerful air elementals, major spirits of air, can carry a bus full of people at about the speed of sound.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

jagadaishio posted:

People are dying and that really sucks, but the only person that he actually has access to is Sasha, and she's Pack, and he's not going to send her into an unknown Bad poo poo situation to try to save some anonymous strangers. People die in Seattle every day, and he not-helps-them in the exact same way every day. It sucks, but it's real, and Kenji's loyal to a fault - and I do mean to a fault.

What he does and should do, though, is do is absolute, very best to convince Bolt that something needs to be done. If Mother Bear can grab some trusted healer students for an emergency operation, that could save a shitton of lives in a way that keeps everyone safe. Under absolutely no other circumstances should students be sent from the island to go help out with this truly awful situation.

But in the city, in whatever hospital ward Julie's in right now, when she feels that thump I'm hoping that she and Chip spring into action by Astral Processing there totally independently but in a manner not unlike Krupa. Julie's a trained first responder, and Chip is a spirit that can heal people. This is totally independent from what's happening on Blake Island.

So, my vote is for Kenji to try to talk to Bolt, and for Julie to be doing her own poo poo because she can't help herself.

Jag.

Jag, I hate this plan.

I hate this plan, but objectively it's the internally consistent one.

Kenji has zero stakes in this situation, outside of protecting his friends, so there is absolutely no reason for him to do anything other than tell Krupa to stand down. That'll earn him points with Joyce, at least.

On the subject of Julie, yes, that is exactly what she would do, psych-ward bound or no. I don't want her to do this, but if she doesn't do something to help she just wouldn't be Julie.

So gently caress you Jag, I'm voting for your goddamned plan.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's no way in hell Kenji is going to stick his neck out for complete strangers, especially when the strategy at the top of the list potentially puts Sasha in immediate danger.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

RickVoid posted:

Jag.

Jag, I hate this plan.

I hate this plan, but objectively it's the internally consistent one.

Kenji has zero stakes in this situation, outside of protecting his friends, so there is absolutely no reason for him to do anything other than tell Krupa to stand down. That'll earn him points with Joyce, at least.

On the subject of Julie, yes, that is exactly what she would do, psych-ward bound or no. I don't want her to do this, but if she doesn't do something to help she just wouldn't be Julie.

So gently caress you Jag, I'm voting for your goddamned plan.

I agree with this.
One more for Plan Jag, because that's what our characters would do.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Ice Phisherman posted:

There was a spirit like her. An astrally projecting awakened of some sort. She was curled into the fetal position a few feet above her body, which was a wreck. One side of her spiritless body was horribly burned while on her other, her arm was neatly severed above the elbow and bled freely. Magic worked differently in the astral. Krupa could heal, but she had to touch someone to do it. There were dozens of dead and dying people she could do nothing for, but this person was projecting. She could touch his astral form.

"Hey, can you hear me?!" yelled Krupa.

The spirit of the astrally projecting woman made no response.

Found a mistake, wrong pronoun.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Groetgaffel posted:

Found a mistake, wrong pronoun.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

jagadaishio posted:

This sums up my thoughts pretty accurately

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Yeah, Jag summed up my thoughts very well, and I think his vote is more articulate than mine.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Plan Jag, please.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So I had this whole speech planned out about how the only way Kenji would be able to help would be by putting Sasha at great risk and Sasha is Pack so no way in hell would he go behind Bolt's back and try for that, but then as usual Jag showed up before me and said it even better so Plan Jag. Although we're not in control of Julie so presumably whatever she does is subject to some dice rolls, it doesn't feel fair to be giving Julie orders while this chapter and this specific question are all about what Kenji does. If we really want Julie to do something we have to make Kenji actually contact her in some way and ask her to do whatever, which we're not gonna do, so yeah the whole "hope Julie does X" clause really is just a hope that shouldn't affect whatever actually happens imo.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 30, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I agree wholeheartedly, even with the metaconcerns about voting for Julie to do something during a Kenji moment, so Plan Jag

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Where is Julie's ward In relation to the docks? Would she even hear or know to look in the astral or is she going to be just looking in the astral already? Would the ward have anything to prevent astral viewing/leaving?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Where's Marco when you need him?

Is Kenji even allowed to leave the building in order to call Sasha? Or everyone will be called into the hall?

Voting:
2.Plan Jag
1.Because "how do I explain it..." is hard with the combination of her being well-meaning and naive, and him not trying to be too blunt, or cruel.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also for real Krupie's adorable and I'm going to hate having to hate her for being a fascism apologist

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Hmm, could a sufficiently skilled decker alter records so that it appears that the diners all have that premium insurance, or that the team can't ID which specific person does? Would that be something that is a massive no go on account of getting in the way of a HTRT?

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Mr Apollo posted:

Hmm, could a sufficiently skilled decker alter records so that it appears that the diners all have that premium insurance, or that the team can't ID which specific person does? Would that be something that is a massive no go on account of getting in the way of a HTRT?

That's all hypothetically possible, but:
1. A felony.
2. The victims would end up with the medical debts for services rendered regardless.
3. There's no way to get word out to an appropriately-skilled Decker with access before everyone's bled to death anyway.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Plan Jag

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Kenji does not help. These aren't his people. He will not jeopardize his friends for strangers.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Counterpoint to those saying that Dog wouldn't see the need to help:

He shouldn't put anyone at risk, but he should try to do something.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

habeasdorkus posted:

Counterpoint to those saying that Dog wouldn't see the need to help:

He shouldn't put anyone at risk, but he should try to do something.

Dog isn't loyal to all. He's loyal to pack.

You* simply want in on the action.

* = not singling out anyone specifically.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Ice Post posted:

It wouldn't do to have something slip into the empty body that didn't belong.

Interesting, I'm not sure I've read anything about this. Anyone able to elaborate?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Kenji would totally help... For a major favor from Krupa. If she's not going to like us, she might as well owe us.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Interesting, I'm not sure I've read anything about this. Anyone able to elaborate?

Spirits that can possess people are a thing in Shadowrun. They can manifest in one of three ways:

First, they can physically manifest. That just means spirits are being themselves. Those are the ones we see the most. Second, they can possess an object. During the party with Sasha in Ares in book four they possess those giant statues that looked like Greek soldiers that looked like art. Though they can possess pretty much anything, but objects that are especially prepared for them are easier to slip into. Third, they can possess living beings. The last type are bad news for an astrally projecting shaman if they get in their body. A shaman will eventually die if their spirit is outside of their body for too long. This sounds scary, but I liken it to holding your breath underwater. Getting back in your body is like taking a breath of air. And a shaman can be outside of their body for as many hours as they have in magic rating, not minutes like underwater.

Most shamans or wizards or what have you will put their bodies behind an astral barrier like an mana lodge. A good one if they can because they can be broken down if the spirit is powerful enough. And maybe it would be smart to summon a spirit to guard it as well just in case. The kids on Blake Island can be a little more lax because security is tight, so they just had a spirit watching over them.

Anyway, if someone possesses a shaman's body, there's no guarantee that they can get it back. A shaman isn't drawn to their body. If it's gone they can find it, but it takes hours and they might not have that long. It's hard to dislodge a spirit, especially if it's tough, and physical damage only damages the shaman's body, not the spirit. And the body can't be knocked out.

The takeaway is for a shaman to never leave their body unattended or undefended. It's like leaving the keys in the ignition of a car with the motor running and the doors open. Someone might not steal it and it's certainly far more rare that it will happen than getting a car stolen, but a stolen car probably won't kill the shaman. A stolen body can be a death sentence.

Not all spirits can possess bodies and a spirit can possess a willing body without forcing the shaman's spirit out. So it can be positive. Or they can possess the body, run away and completely gently caress over the shaman while doing whatever they wish with someone else's body.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 30, 2018

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Kenji would like to help - he is going to talk to Coach, but aside from that, he isn't going to start asking people to help. If they want, sure (or, if they are close to him - "are you sure it's a good idea?"), but he isn't going to start convincing people (Bolt aside) for this. Asking other people to risk themself while he stays safe? No.
And if he fails to convince Coach to do something, or if he can't do anything - then Kenji's feel that it sucks, but he did what he could to help - his conscience's clean. Given that he is used to falling asleep despite gunshots next door (he and Fuzzy are will have hard time explaining that to all these sheltered corporate kids), he ain't gonna lose sleep over this.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Just as you said," he confirmed, "I've committed to improving my body. Two years ago I signed onto a small project to develop an entirely new way and it's bearing fruit. It's called the way of perfect body. I'm striving to become physically peak human while having full control over my body."

Is this a real Shadowrun thing or Author Fiat?

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Impressive," said Kenji, "Do you really need flaming fists for your everyday life though?"

Heh, cute.

Ice Phisherman posted:

"No offense taken. I've dueled people your size before and won," boasted Jayvon, "I'm used to punching upwards."

Ya know, I’m liking Jayvon in-spite of myself. Everything he represents, the preening-honor-society-peacock, is repulsive to me, and yet, I still like his scrappy nature.

Ice Phisherman posted:

"That' was my fault," said Joyce, "Please don't blame Krupa. I've been keeping an ear out for opportunities to make peace and I had to spend a lot of time preparing Clarissa to talk and listen. I didn't want you to leave before she was ready, otherwise I would have come to you."

Ice Phisherman posted:

"You can't just let us help you?" asked Krupa.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, you do characters very well, Ice.

Joyce is every bit the self-righteous noble, grooming himself for his future role, and Krupa is absolutely the noble’s wife-in-waiting.

Joyce doesn’t care about Kenny or Clarissa per se, he’s just angling to get himself named as the ‘chief mediator’, so that he can officially practice being the ‘seasoned diplomat’, as is his self-perceived Birthright.

Krupa only cares because Joyce cares, Dolphin or no.

Both are shocked that their ‘help’ isn’t welcomed with open arms and gratitude; love it Ice, you’ve captured that ‘rich house wife goes down to the soup kitchen’ vibe wonderfully.

Ice Phisherman posted:

What Kenji meant would never be heard. In the distance, there was a dull sounding boom from the northeast.

Fantastic transition; I forgot where I read it, one of my favorite turns in a novel goes something along the lines of, “ . . . I never heard her reply, because in that precise moment, the skies themselves opened up, and the heavens began to fall . . .”

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Ten words or less, tell me what's happening," ordered Coach Bolt, his voice full of authority.

"A bomb went off in Seattle. Krupa left her body," said Jayvon, instantly.

Fine, I’ll like you Jayvon, although you’re still on probation.

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time

1. Kenji has problems dealing with Krupa, but not with Joyce even though Joyce is a far better speaker. He's vulnerable to her for some reason even though she's naive and awkward. Why is that?

Kenny has issues dealing with Krupa because they’re playing from different rulebooks. Kenny is who is he, the ACHE (and now pack) mercenary, he deals in hard, quantitative results and quantities. Krupa gets to indulge her ‘Johnny Appleseed’, disperse goodwill and Dolphin Healing around the world tendencies.

There isn’t any middle ground between these two, no bargaining zone. For Kenny, there isn’t a whole lot of ‘can’t we all just get along’, as he’s used to taking every nuyen off the table, and Krupa comes from the ‘we don’t need to expand the pie, we’ll just buy more pies! And cake!! Hell, we’ll just buy the whole bakery!!!’ tradition.

They simply don’t understand each other, Krupa more so than Kenny, and that’s dangerous because Kenny sees that there is no ‘not offending’ Krupa in the long run.

Ice Phisherman posted:

2. Krupa is begging for help. Many people have died in the downtown area in a restaurant. Kenji is aware that what happened is most likely a terrorist attack as per Jayvon.

Kenny helps, except as always, in his own way.

1) Kenny does not ‘send help’ via his pack, or, encourages Krupa to leave the island (let’s be real, he can’t stop her if she actually tries).

The way Kenny responded to the explosion, by throwing himself down and clear of ‘firing lanes’, tells us everything we need to know about how he’d react; things are going from bad to worse in Seattle, and it’s time to ‘circle the wagons’, hunker down on Blake Island.

Not only will involving his Pack potentially danger them (no matter how slim the chance), it’ll also get them in trouble with the faculty (not the smart play since they all ‘need’ favors from Julian, Paige, Bolt, Peters, etc.), and, ‘ping’ Blake Island as an active participant in the coming troubles.

For now, Blake Island is a well-protected school for the elite, a neutral enough faction and ground, separate from the brewing conflict.

We start busy-bodying ourselves in these affairs, and who know what kinds of retaliation will hit these shores; them human supremacists and MC gangs are already out for Sasha and Fuzzy’s blood, we give them any more reason, then they might send a run or three to Blake Island.

LeBlanc already showed us that it’s laughably easy to infiltrate our ‘World’.

2) That said, Kenny doesn’t just do nothing, although Bolt is not the right teacher to ask.

Kenny asks Momma Paige to help, because frankly, she’s the only one who is trained on exactly what to do, and how to do it. I also trust her to be circumspect in what she does.

3) Finally, Kenny calls a conclave with the gang to strategize what they should do about Julie. Maybe she’s safe at the hospital, maybe she’s not. I think it’s clear though that Julie should not be out in the ‘open’, or traveling back and forth during this time.

So they wait till she’s ‘better’, then get her to stay in Touristville, or Blake Island. No traveling back and forth though, until this Seattle thing is resolved, and that goes doubly for Fuzzy and Sasha.

jagadaishio posted:

Julie's a trained first responder, and Chip is a spirit that can heal people. This is totally independent from what's happening on Blake Island.

I feel like this should be a roll of some kind.

Yes, Julie would help, even if it might mean getting into trouble or getting hurt.

However, she’s also in treatment; she’s emotionally broken down, she might even be sedated at the moment.

All I’m saying is I don’t see this being a cut and dry case of ‘Julie Freeman to the rescue, once again’.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CourValant posted:

Ya know, I’m liking Jayvon in-spite of myself. Everything he represents, the preening-honor-society-peacock, is repulsive to me, and yet, I still like his scrappy nature.

There's a lot of otherwise serious problems you can easily paper over with "wants to punch fascists" :v:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Jayvon always punches up and that's what makes him good

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Crazycryodude posted:

So far. He's still a corp kid, and being a subject of persecution in one sense doesn't by any means make you sensitive to other sorts of persecution.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

Uppercuts to the groin. Just sayin'.

Also, Ice:

Ice Phisherman posted:

A lot of people are have been injured and died at a high end restaurant called "The Grand Terrace" that has exploded.
Anything besided that on the joint that we could know? While it could be "we just need a target" kind of terrorism, there's a chance it's personal - could help narrow down. May be less relevent to a bunch of schoolkids, but.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Crazycryodude posted:

I laughed out loud when he said that. I'm interested in seeing him try to adapt to this new culture he finds himself in. It's kind of funny to me that he and Fuzzy are gong to end up spending a bunch of time together, but she isn't really equipped to teach him much about the culture he finds himself in. She can only pass on lessons she took from adapting from the Barrens.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I 100% think Jayvon will respond better to "I lived in the loving barrens, if you don't guard yourself like this ghouls will eat you," *sound of Sasha fainting in background* "Ok, now practice stabbing this giant rat while I go check on Sasha." than any kind of formalized training kit. There's only so much you can question when one person counters with "I only ate what I got to kill, so keep trying to beat me or starve, rich boy."

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I think y’all are missing jayvon’s criteria which are basically needing a doc Lewis to his lil mac. Meaning: 1) someone he can see most days of the week, in this case, a student because bolt goes home every night. And 2) someone roughly his size, so the training is actually effective, which is how Fuzzy specifically got chosen, along with the punching out teeth thing.

Fuzzy is to learn unarmed skill to be able to help jayvon, but that’s on her, he’ll provide reference material, but he’s not going to train her, and if she doesn’t learn it on her own to help him, he won’t keep working with her.

He’s using her for a skill set, she’s not in charge at all.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Zodiac5000 posted:

There's only so much you can question when one person counters with "I only ate what I got to kill, so keep trying to beat me or starve, rich boy."

You reckon so?

Because the fighting Jayvon engages in is completely opposite to that of the 'I kill so I can eat' Fuzzy style.

In my (limited) understanding of honor and dueling cultures (and the class in which these 'duelist' lives), the way you fight matters as much as if you win (maybe even more so).

The Krav Maga style of combat, i.e, no holds barred, eye gouging, anything to win, would be anathema to Jayvon.

This isn't fighting to win, this is fighting for honor, face, respect, position, etc. Winning is great, sure, however, if you violate the rules of the duel to do so, then the fight would likely be declared void, and the violator would be stripped of everything he was fighting for.

numerrik posted:

He’s using her for a skill set, she’s not in charge at all.

Agreed. She's the hired help, and, the terms of their contract states this rather exactly.

They're training to his expectations, not her.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Just as a note for spirit possession, another spellslinger can manabolt a spirit out of the body its possessing.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

All right, it looks like plan Jagadaishio is a go. The thread doesn't have control over Julie until book six. However, I'll roll her 2 edge to see if she's close enough to get involved. The Seattle Metroplex is enormous though and she may be confused to what's going on. I'm not sure what exactly she can do though. While this is minutia, Chip can only heal with Julie's help. He doesn't actually have the heal spell and can't heal on his own. He just augments her spells. Further, Julie was supposed to be taking a class in order to astrally project. She could try to do it, but it wouldn't be safe.

So here's how I'm parsing this out:

Kenji is going to try and convince Coach Bolt to do something, but that something doesn't involve endangering his packmates. That something does mean accepting help from Mother Bear and any volunteer healers. This is going to mean a leadership check and an etiquette test to get him to help. Kenji is better at both of these than Coach Bolt, but he's also out of edge.

In the meantime, I'm pulling back the curtain on a mechanic I've been sitting on since the end of book four. We're going to see which factions win and which factions lose in the wake of the shooting. Since I'm doing this for fun and I'm not writing for Topps or CGL, I get to ignore cannon. So I'm going to explain.

All of the choices that the thread has made that would impact a faction listed below will determine if they become dominant, grow in power, maintain the status quo, shrink in power or either get dispersed or run out of town.

Those factions are:

Anti-racist coalition
Human supremacists
Ares/Knight Errant
Lone Star

These are the factions that are battling for either their right to be heard or for control. I rolled 2d6 in secret, which I will not share. That represents the starting position of everyone here. I'm not going to say what it is, but you should be able to guess from the story if you pay attention. Lone Star for example as per book four is currently getting picked apart by Ares Knight-Errant as they've flipped about a dozen police contracts in other cities. Anyway, I roll a 2d6 and these factions either start between 2-12 for their beginning value.

How do I know that Lone Star is doing badly even though I rolled randomly? It's because they earned -6 because they experimented on and murder a bunch of children. That represents how solid their position is, and it's not. However, they have some say in the media, so they get 1d2 (+2 total) back. Ares also earns a -6 due to distributing drugs to win the policing contract, but they gain back 1d3 (+3 total) because Ares is also a major media outlet.

Here is the full list of bonuses and penalties up to this point:

1. Fuzzy saved Dave and has become a hero to Touristville, thereby showing that humans can be allies: +1 to anti-racist coalition.

2. Fuzzy knocked out a racists' teeth which became a meme. +1 to the anti-racist coalition. The +2 to her reputation basically is me adding together point one and two. Her folk hero status is good for something. Her actions have inspired others to look beyond mere race to finds allies and friends. It's not what Fuzzy did impacted everything. It's that she inspired people through her folk hero status.

3. Touristville is prospering due to Julie's clinic, Marco's new grocery store and pharmacy and Fuzzy and Kenji's economic shot in the arm from bringing in many tons of tasty pork. Touristville is becoming a local economic engine for orks and trolls near the Denny Park area where this is all going down. Economic power can be rapidly transmuted to social power. +1 to anti-racist protesters.

4. Fuzzy humiliated the Tacoma branch of Human Nation, which has been shedding members.. - 1 to human supremacists.

5. Julie chose to change the media in a minor way to remove a racist talking head from mainstream media and introduce an ork to a morning show. - 1 to human supremacists.

6. Knight-Errant is reviled for selling drugs to win a police contract, which spread untold misery, killed a lot of people and addicted more. - 6 to Ares Knight-Errant.

7. Lone Star is reviled for experimenting on children and killing them. - 6 to Lone Star.

8. Ares, who owns Knight-Errant, also owns a major portion of the media. I rolled a d3 and they got back + 3. They're spinning and muddying the waters and using whataboutism and creating positive matrix memes and blaming Matt Oliver hard as they can.

9. Lone Star is doing the same, but they don't own the media. I roll 1d2 as they do the same thing and they get + 2 back.

10. Knight-Errant can't control the gang violence in Seattle. - 1 to Knight-Errant.

11. Knight-Errant is stretched so thin that they allowed a terrorist attack. More importantly, this was on a rich ethnic minority, as we'll eventually see. - 1 to Knight-Errant.

12. That same terrorist attack is going to galvanize the human supremacists and anti-racists both. + 1 to the human supremacists and +1 to anti-racist coalition

So even though I'm not going to share what the original numbers I rolled, you can try and figure out how they've been doing from the text and I'll give some reminders pretty soon.

Numbers:

10 or more - Dominant

5-9 - Status quo

1-4 - Diminishing power.

0 or less - Scattered or banished

We're going to have opportunities to add and subtract from all of these factions for the rest of Kenji's story and some in Julie's story. After the dust settles after the massacre, after all the bleeding and crying is done, I'll reveal those numbers. Said numbers can change up to the end of Julie's story, but we'll have a grasp of what has happened if we want to attempt any last minute tweaks, which may be possible, though I won't promise that.

Fuzzy's story (after the novelette) is going to be about exploring the city in the wake of all of that change. She's going to give an on the ground account of everything that happened.

So I'll say right now that we can completely eliminate any of these factions. For example if the human supremacist faction reaches and stays at zero or below come the end of Julie's story they are toast. There will be some hold-outs, and this will do nothing for the meta-human supremacists, only the human supremacists. If Ares or Lone Star reach zero or below, they'll be driven out of Seattle either voluntarily or their enclaves will be burned down. If the anti-racist coalition gets scattered, well depending on who wins the coming culture war, that could mean human supremacist dominance or a corporate crackdown.

On the other hand, it's possible that you can have more than one faction in a dominant position. If that's the case, there's a showdown, because the police are despised enough that violence can spiral out of control, though the showdown doesn't necessarily need to be violent, it's just on the table. Who is dominant will set the stage for Fuzzy's story and beyond. There will be other threats and it can very much get worse, not better. Especially if everyone is weak, because that will create a power vacuum. Nature abhors a vacuum.

I'm not going to tell you what actions will give a bonus, a malus or even if they'll do anything. I will tell you after the fact and after the choices have been made. Some pre-planned events will move the needle, but not too much. Just enough that no one is going to get complacent.

tl;dr - I'm taking all of the major decisions all the way back from book one that impact those four factions. We're going to see who wins and who loses in the struggle for dominance in Seattle.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Ice Phisherman posted:

I get to ignore cannon.
We need a bigger gun!

More seriously - the factions are, as far I can tell "us, good guys", a pair of (at best) gits, and "enemy, evul". Given the lack of ambiguity (I don't have a problem with making it so, I might add) - will our choices be in how our side make it, or if we choose allies? Something else?

Regarding points 11, 12: So, "Humanis" attack, will embolden the racist but cause ARC to unite against them?