Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

What's a good city builder type game like Life is Feudal: Forest Village or Banished, but with a bit more of a substantial tech tree?

Creating products and turning those products into other products just owns. And yes I already own factorio lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Firos posted:

What's a good city builder type game like Life is Feudal: Forest Village or Banished, but with a bit more of a substantial tech tree?

Creating products and turning those products into other products just owns. And yes I already own factorio lol.

You're looking for the Anno series.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fat Samurai posted:

I think I've asked before, but let's try again:

Looking for a game that gives you a good sense of progression and that unlocks options as you grow more powerful. I don't mean bigger numbers or flashier abilities in an RPG, but rather starting in the X series as a lone miner and end up with an automated trading and production empire,

Euro Truck Simulator is like this. You start out as the proud owner of your first big rig and eventually you can hire othet people and build a trucking empire. I don't know how involved the management/empire part is though because I didn't get super far into it :shobon:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Firos posted:

Have you tried the Colonial Charter mod for Banished? It's a bit rough around the edges, but adds a ton off stuff and gives you more & deeper production chains.

Here's a table of all the goods types it adds, just to give you an idea:

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
Ty for all the recommendations, wouldn’t have found these on my own! I’ll definitely pick them up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Firos posted:

Aven Colony, Planet Base, Surviving Mars are a few that come to mind.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Songbearer posted:

It's that time again! Can you reccomend a good hidden object game? I love playing them with ~*the fiance*~.

So far we've done Hidden Folks and Adam Wolfe and enjoyed both a lot, but I'm looking for something that is more directly just a no-frills "Find the object" sort of thing. Adam Wolfe had some logic puzzles that frustrated her (I enjoy them myself). The lighter the narrative the better, really. Hidden Folks was pretty much ideal.

My wife loves HOG, so I'd recommend some we've played and enjoyed. The Drawn series is really good. We like Barrow Hill 1 and 2, Scratches, and the utter insanity of Mushroom Age.

And I just want to thank you dudes for your eternal sonata- alike recommendations. Turns out I own Grandi 2 on PC, so that's next.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 29, 2018

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I briefly got back into Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube this weekend, but I'm not loving how dated it feels, despite loving it back in the day. What's a good action-rpg with couch co-op (PC, Switch, PS4)? I've already played Diablo 3 to death, and besides that I'm not really looking for something in the vein of Van Helsing or Victor Vran, but something with a little less complexity like Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Any ideas?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Have you tried games like Monster Hunter? I think I only played Phantasy Star on the DS so that version might have been trying to ape MH, but I got similar vibes of "go out, fight thing, get drops".

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Have you tried games like Monster Hunter? I think I only played Phantasy Star on the DS so that version might have been trying to ape MH, but I got similar vibes of "go out, fight thing, get drops".

I have tried Monster Hunter, but I'm looking for something with couch co-op.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Have you tried Magicka? I'm pretty sure it has couch co-op support.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

SoR Blaze posted:

I have tried Monster Hunter, but I'm looking for something with couch co-op.

The sticking point is how much permanence you want the game to have from session to session. Dragon's Crown could be a very good option for you if what you want is more Diablo-style character progression. There are also more "indie" games all over the place like Viking Squad or Super Dungeon Bros.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK, I'll be easy: I want NFL Head Coach 2005 but for 2018, because that game had rear end for load times (consoles lol).

I need a low-complexity front-office management game. I do not want a sports game at all. Just managing assets, setting prices, negotiating contracts. If it can be not soccer or racing, that'd be cool. Hit me with your fin-sim darlings.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It sounds like what you want is the Football Manager series, but that's association football. The same developer did make Eastside Hockey Manager in 2015.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’m looking for one of two things or both or just one. Preferably steam based and ~$20 or under.

1. Any multiplayer/mmo game with an active goon community I can join and later get exiled from. Past examples include a private vanilla wow server, cs:go, dota, pubg but not really

2. A quaint game that is probably singleplayer and I can dump hours and hours into. By quaint I mean it’s probably indy and the graphics are pixelated or something. Examples: Enter the Gungeon, Factorio, Terraria, Any Paradox games, Stardew Valley, Zacktronics Industries games

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 31, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

2. A quaint game that is probably singleplayer and I can dump hours and hours into. By quaint I mean it’s probably indy and the graphics are pixelated or something. Examples: Enter the Gungeon, Factorio, Terraria, Any Paradox games, Stardew Valley

if you're into western-style computer RPGs, i'd consider looking at games from Spiderweb Software. they are made by a small team so sometimes the UI and stuff isn't as polished as i'd like, but they evoke the warm fuzzies of games past and you can dump tons of hours into them. here's a thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537468

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

I’m looking for one of two things or both or just one. Preferably steam based and ~$20 or under.

1. Any multiplayer/mmo game with an active goon community I can join and later get exiled from. Past examples include a private vanilla wow server, cs:go, dota, pubg but not really

2. A quaint game that is probably singleplayer and I can dump hours and hours into. By quaint I mean it’s probably indy and the graphics are pixelated or something. Examples: Enter the Gungeon, Factorio, Terraria, Any Paradox games, Stardew Valley, Zacktronics Industries games

It would take a serious amount of shitposting to get booted from but the path of exile goons are super active and awesome. Path of Exile is a diablo 2 fan game that figured out how to be good and now it’s big and expanding.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Elder Scrolls Online is cheap, no sub and the Goon community is cool.
You can play almost all of it as a single player game if you want.

I didn't like it a ton but I get why people do.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I was going to recommend eso and Poe but was beaten on both accounts

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished replaying Night in the Woods, looking for something kinda similarly relaxing to play but with an engaging or relatable story, genre doesn't matter much as long as there's no like, tedious rpg grinding or anything.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Just finished replaying Night in the Woods, looking for something kinda similarly relaxing to play but with an engaging or relatable story, genre doesn't matter much as long as there's no like, tedious rpg grinding or anything.

Oxenfree is pretty good. The gameplay is relaxing, the dialogue is well written and I found the storyline fairly engaging.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some good Mount and Blade-likes? Specifically the run-around-between-towns-and-do-stuff sandbox part

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

What are some good Mount and Blade-likes? Specifically the run-around-between-towns-and-do-stuff sandbox part

Starsector!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zerilan posted:

Assuming you haven't played it already, Life is Strange and its prequel Before the Storm. The first episode of season one is F2P on Steam.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jay Rust posted:

Kenshi is scratching that particular itch for me recently.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Friday the 13th community is usually pretty good, both goonwise and just pubbies (at least the rate of cool people to n-word shouting children has always been better than most games I've played). No idea how much longer the game will last though, it's currently mired in legal hell and the devs literally can't update it. Still very fun as is, though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Assuming you haven't played it already, Life is Strange and its prequel Before the Storm. The first episode of season one is F2P on Steam.

I played the first LiS and really liked the first like, 3.5 eps or so, hated the ending.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That is generally where all the games fall apart, although less so with Before the Storm

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

1. Guild Wars 2 is free-to-play for the base game. We have at least one goon who turns up regularly at our daily "bomb the pubbies" event (Tequatl) who doesn't have either of the expansions; I think he mostly plays one of the two PvP modes.

2. Dungeonmans and Tales of Maj'Eyal (TOME) are roguelikes with pixel graphics where you unlock new character classes and abilities over multiple playthroughs. I think the Dungeonmans dev is a goon, too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

That is generally where all the games fall apart, although less so with Before the Storm

Yeah I know I just have a huge hatred for the go back and undo everything you did or it's all hosed type of ending that sort of story leans on way too often.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I've put an unhealthy amount of time into Terraria and Stardew Valley, please recommend more. Comfiness and building mandatory, digging and lack of SF for bonus points.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Pierzak posted:

I've put an unhealthy amount of time into Terraria and Stardew Valley, please recommend more. Comfiness and building mandatory, digging and lack of SF for bonus points.

I don't know what SF is. But Oxygen Not Included? It's in EA but it's mostly bug free. You will have to deal with surprising updates from time to time but mostly they work out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lorini posted:

I don't know what SF is. But Oxygen Not Included? It's in EA but it's mostly bug free. You will have to deal with surprising updates from time to time but mostly they work out.

SF is Sci-fi, and Oxygen Not Included is the exact opposite of those two games. It's a base builder/management game.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pierzak posted:

Stupid recommendation but minecraft maybe?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pierzak posted:

Signs of Life is goon made and good. It's scifi though.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Pierzak posted:

Craft the World? It's a Terraria-like manager/god game where you control a bunch of dwarves.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

Science fiction. Also good point - I'd rather not sign up to more services to play the game, so would prefer if a Steam/Gog/free version existed.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Stupid recommendation but minecraft maybe?
Stupid on my part not to mention that I played that a lot too :v:

Splicer posted:

Signs of Life is goon made and good. It's scifi though.
SF is not a deal-breaker if the game's good. I'll take a look.
ed: Aaaand early access :(

Hello Sailor posted:

Craft the World? It's a Terraria-like manager/god game where you control a bunch of dwarves.
I have it, I've played it some and it's somewhat lacking, I can't put my finger on the exact reason. Regular enemy waves not being comfy? Getting the dwarves to do the stuff I want? Regardless, it didn't satisfy me.
BUT you do have a point with god games, I'll look at those too.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 1, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Oxygen Not Included is in Early Access on Steam. It's a base builder, but so is Terraria and Stardew Valley in some ways which is why I mentioned it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

Oxygen Not Included is in Early Access on Steam. It's a base builder, but so is Terraria and Stardew Valley in some ways which is why I mentioned it.
I thought EA meant Origin or whatever service EA uses :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lorini posted:

Oh! I getcha, sorry. I was looking at Stardew and going "that's chill, Oxygen Not Included is not chill" and going nope. My mistake!

.... speaking of comfiness, although it has minimal building, have you played Slime Rancher?