Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The only think about the Shake I didn't dig was how tacked-on they seemed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm finally at the point where I understand the thread title!

I'm not sure what the general reception to House of Chains is but I think it has the strongest start out of the ones I've read so far.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm finally at the point where I understand the thread title!

I'm not sure what the general reception to House of Chains is but I think it has the strongest start out of the ones I've read so far.

I'm re-reading House of Chains, and for all the stick early-Karsa gets from the fans, it's really fantastic. It helps that rather than just expanding out into a completely new area of the world, there's enough cross-links and callbacks for the reader to start piecing things together - the Unbound, the remnants of the Jaghut wars, the mountain that Brood hosed up, all the disparate pieces from the last three books start slotting into place and just when you think you know what's going on BAM Forkrul Assail what the gently caress is going on I'm confused again.

It's also such a great, evocative title. Most of the Malazan titles leave me kinda cold, but House of Chains is just wonderful.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno, I give the credit for best title to Memories of Ice and its triple meanings.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno, I give the credit for best title to Memories of Ice and its triple meanings.

1) The Imass memories melting the ice in the Mhybe's pocket dream dimension?
2) The Imass still clinging to the Jaghut war and the glaciers they raised?
3)Erikson being really bummed out that he hasn't seen his mate Ian Cameron Esslemont lately?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Toll the Hounds is a good title which doesn't stand out well enough because the two around it are Deathblood's Doorstop and The Sadness of My Heart

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Toll the Hounds is a good title which doesn't stand out well enough because the two around it are Deathblood's Doorstop and The Sadness of My Heart

Loved these two when they were Celine Dion songs

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Strom Cuzewon posted:

1) The Imass memories melting the ice in the Mhybe's pocket dream dimension?
2) The Imass still clinging to the Jaghut war and the glaciers they raised?
3)Erikson being really bummed out that he hasn't seen his mate Ian Cameron Esslemont lately?
I was just going with three major themes of the book...

1. The Jaghut and Imass remember ice a bunch when thinking about the past.
2. Ice itself has memories (with all the weird stuff that melts out of them).
3. Memory gets frozen and brittle like, well, ... ice. Which is a bunch of characters in that book.

I dig your #3 though. :D

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Where do I go after reading/listening to the esselmont books that fit into the Fallen timeline?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Assuming you've finished all 16 contemporary storyline releases there's a fair amount more, with very different tones:

The Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas are fun and not very serious. They get a bit meta about authorship & media, as well as gross out humour and light horror.

The Karkanas prequels. They're heavy. I couldn't actually finish them. Two thirds of the trilogy is published.

The ICE Path to Ascendancy prequels. They're a bit unsatisfying as they're basically carrying out things we already know, but they're decent fantasy shlock. They match most closely the normal malazan tone. Again two of three published.

If you just want more Erikson his scifi star trek satire is lighthearted and decently funny. Two of three published as well.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Assuming you've finished all 16 contemporary storyline releases there's a fair amount more, with very different tones:

The Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas are fun and not very serious. They get a bit meta about authorship & media, as well as gross out humour and light horror.

The Karkanas prequels. They're heavy. I couldn't actually finish them. Two thirds of the trilogy is published.

The ICE Path to Ascendancy prequels. They're a bit unsatisfying as they're basically carrying out things we already know, but they're decent fantasy shlock. They match most closely the normal malazan tone. Again two of three published.

If you just want more Erikson his scifi star trek satire is lighthearted and decently funny. Two of three published as well.

Thanks Ill add them to the audible wishlist.

Edit: Ill have to find time to read those novellas since they are not in audio format.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 24, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Crack'd Pot Trail is the best Malazan book, period.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Counter-opinion: Erikson's star trek homage books are godawful. Almost like Erikson channeled the spirits of Robert Sheckley and Roger Zelazny to create something that terrible. Separately, Sheckley and Zelazny were decent authors, working together Sheckley and Zelazny somehow became Piers Anthony minus the perv factor triple the terrible puns.

No disagreement on the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach stories, they are light-hearted murder-hobo stories with a hint of 3 stooges/confederacy of dunces.
The ebook edition of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach collected tales vol2 comes out on september 20 2018, the hardcopy is due out mid 2019.
Am personally looking forward to reading cracked pot trail pt 2 on september 21st.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dat workflow, drat

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How does he still have wrists?!?!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What is the reason for the purge of magic users and those sensitive to magic?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Dat workflow, drat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How does he still have wrists?!?!

Steven Erikson is secretly a Forkrul Assail. And his true Forkrul Assail name is Writer.
Explains Erikson's gift with words.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 25, 2018

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
High Watered Brevity

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
These marketing blurbs are always the gd worst

penguin books posted:

Due for release 21st February 2019

The incessant war between the bickering city states of Quon Tali rages. So engrossed are the warring lords and princes in their own petty feuds that few notice that an upstart mage from Dal Hon has gained control of the southern seas. But some powers are alarmed
And in the meantime, as Purge and Tali indulge in what seems like a their never-ending game of war, a mercenary caught up in the fight between the two states suddenly refuses to play along and causes all sorts of chaos. Simultaneously, a pair of escapees from Castle Gris make their way across this ravaged landscape of flame and butchery. Their intention to seek out the legendary Crimson Guard.
And then there's Kellanved who could not care less about any of this petty politicking or strategy or war. Something other and altogether more mysterious has caught his attention and he - together with a reluctant and decidedly sceptical Dancer - traverse continents and journey through the Realms in pursuit . . . But this ancient mystery that has so captivated Kellanved is neither esoteric nor ephemeral. No, it is of an altogether darker and more dangerous hue. It involves the Elder races themselves, and more specifically - certainly more alarmingly - the semi-mythic, and universally dreaded, Army of Dust and Bone.
Surely no one in their right mind would be so foolish as to embark on a journey from which none have returned? Well, no one except Kellanved that is . . .

Returning to the turbulent early history of what would become the Malazan Empire, here is the third awesome chapter in Ian C. Esslemont's new epic fantasy sequence.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jesus that's even worse than usual

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Knight of Knives is terrible and boring.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah it's definitely very purple/clumsy in places but it's often quite beautiful and poetic

The best is the start of the book and Baruque(sp? I’m a filthy audible listener) is pouring through histories trying to find something that will help Rake. He gets to a time period where all the histories are written in the same style as Toll The Hounds was and complains about them being useless self indulgent crap.

That said, I’m about 2/3rds through Dust of Dreams and did Erickson have a bad breakup when he was writing this book and Toll the Hounds or something? He seems to be treating his women characters worse and worse.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
His father died while he was writing Toll, yes.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Re-read Reaper's Gale yesterday.
Most of the stuff that I liked reading Reaper's Gale the first time stood up on the re-read, noticed and bookmarked the Seguleh background stuff this time around.
Biggest disappointment in Reaper's Gale and the Malazan Book of the Fallen series re-read is Adjunct Tavore.
After 3 books Tavore has less character & explained motivations than Nep Farrow, the Dal Honese shaman/squad mage who speaks pure pigLatin/pigMalazan. Nep Farrow who appears for a grand total of 2.5 pages in the Reaper's Gale. Tavore is less of a character and more of a pre-programmed plot device driving everything towards the series culmination in the Crippled God novel.

2nd biggest disappointment in Reaper's Gale was the Tiste Andii discarded grand-grandkids, because their overall series plot-arc is loving off into yet another Erikson-trademark desert transformational death-march to toughen them up enough to ride to the rescue during the last minutes of the Shake's defense of Kharkanas .

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 29, 2018

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
But how else are adventurers supposed to level up?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Come on, he only does that...
The Bridgeburners
Chain of Dogs
Felisin, Heboric, Baudin, Stormy, Gesler
The Bonehunters
The Shake
The Snake
The Bonehunters again
maybe the Bonehunters a third time?

eight times. Some books don't have it at all!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got the impression that Tavore-as-cipher was part of the point. Various characters can - and do - interpret her as they will.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Bridgeburners
Chain of Dogs
The Bonehunters
The Shake
The Snake
The Bonehunters again

Nine. Crack'd Pot Trail . After all transformational death-marches don't always have happy outcomes

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

I got the impression that Tavore-as-cipher was part of the point. Various characters can - and do - interpret her as they will.

Erikson flat out confirmed this.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Bridgeburners
Chain of Dogs
The Bonehunters
The Shake
The Snake
The Bonehunters again

roasted

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

anilEhilated posted:

Crack'd Pot Trail is the best Malazan book, period.

I mostly like Malazan, but I couldn't get through 20 pages of that garbage. It's everything I dislike about Erikson's writing, except more so.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Guys could someone please explain the origin of the Gray Wolves? I remember some talking about how Kallor was involved in that but I can't find that exact page on Deadhouse Landing

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

turboraton posted:

Guys could someone please explain the origin of the Gray Wolves? I remember some talking about how Kallor was involved in that but I can't find that exact page on Deadhouse Landing

Kallor took over an entire continent warhammer 40k style ->rebels kicked off a last ditch summoning ritual to get an outside force to save them -> the ancient beast gods of the malazan world happened to be chilling on Kallor's continent when the summoning ritual started -> the last ditch summoning ritual of the rebels worked -> the jury-rigged summoning ritual did include not clauses for "{ Will the summoned outside force land safely: ?}' -> the summoned outside force appeared at the ritual point moving roughly 200000 km/s -> Kallor's conquered continent got hosed up badly -> one of the ancient beast lord gods was crippled and driven into the warren of chaos for 50000+ years -> malazan book of the fallen 3 'memories of ice" capustan defense story kicks off

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 31, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Can I look forward to Kallor's death ever? I'm sick of the bastarf.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nope, that guy Kallor is a Snidely Whiplash villain that's cursed to know he's a immortal Snidely Whiplash villain.

Also, re-read Toll the Hounds + am halfway through Dust of Dreams.
Bookmarked the bit where Anomander Rake or Draconus might have killed t-800 terminators
All good so far, barring Tavore. Had caught the Iskar Jarak reference from Bonehunters during my re-read, it came up again slightly more detailed in Dust of Dreams.
Dust of Dreams: Snake storyline has been power-skimmed, the Shake stuff doesn't feel as out-of-place on 1st readthrough so far. K'Chain storyline vastly improved, cross-dimensional warren travel to England? remains a nifty easter egg.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Nope, that guy Kallor is a Snidely Whiplash villain that's cursed to know he's a immortal Snidely Whiplash villain.

drat it

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
he was cursed to live forever and fail at everything, so it's only fair

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

he was cursed to live forever and fail at everything, so it's only fair

Have him beheaded and the head tossed into an azath house.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Kallor took over an entire continent warhammer 40k style ->rebels kicked off a last ditch summoning ritual to get an outside force to save them -> the ancient beast gods of the malazan world happened to be chilling on Kallor's continent when the summoning ritual started -> the last ditch summoning ritual of the rebels worked -> the jury-rigged summoning ritual did include not clauses for "{ Will the summoned outside force land safely: ?}' -> the summoned outside force appeared at the ritual point moving roughly 200000 km/s -> Kallor's conquered continent got hosed up badly -> one of the ancient beast lord gods was crippled and driven into the warren of chaos for 50000+ years -> malazan book of the fallen 3 'memories of ice" capustan defense story kicks off

I kind of like the Kharkanas reveal that Togg and Fanderay are actually a d'ivers. Erikson has a lot of moments where people have forgotten or misunderstood ancient history that never really felt natural to me, but that one really clicked.

Had a realisation re:House of Chains (end of HoC spoilers:) In interviews Erikson stresses the middle syllable of Felisin, which suddenly made it clear that it's derived from "felicitous", meaning lucky. Which means that not only will Oponn cruelly kill someone in arbitrary circumstances, but they'll kill whoever has the most ironic name. Dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kharkanas books were excellent "Dallas (original TV series) fantasy world fan-fiction", just like Game of Thrones. Hell GRRM stole the red wedding idea from Dallas.

Am about 65% through the Crippled God re-read.
.My favorite thing in the entire Malazan Book of the Fallen, excluding the joys of Iskaral Pust, Kruppe, Helian's deep thoughts, B&KB, and the Mules, is how Antsy's memory works.