Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
People mock Valve but honestly, they really get it. There's literally no point in paying some shmucks to sit around and curate their store all day. Algorithms work just fine, and you know what else? Algorithms are the future. Valve understands this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This only got discovered because the developers started making fake Team Fortress 2 items to put on the marketplace to scam people with

good

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This only got discovered because the developers started making fake Team Fortress 2 items to put on the marketplace to scam people with

lmao awesome

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's cool that valve cornered the market on PC gaming distribution, and then offloaded all of their operating costs onto fan "curation", making it one of the shittiest online marketplaces possible

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
me: "if you're going to control my entire game library, then at least act responsibly and make sure a bunch of poo poo doesn't flood your storefront"
valve: ""

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

sector_corrector posted:

it's cool that valve cornered the market on PC gaming distribution, and then offloaded all of their operating costs onto fan "curation", making it one of the shittiest online marketplaces possible
My favorite Valve thing out of a host of Valve things is that they've basically outsourced the actual development of games to their fans while still taking all the profit. 95% of new content released in TF2 is community made content and then they sell it in loot boxes and give the creator pennies on the dollar.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm delighted to have a smorgasbord of anime waifu games delivered straight to my desktop. Maybe a little bit of the ol' pixelart roguelite to wash it down. Winning.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

American McGay posted:

My favorite Valve thing out of a host of Valve things is that they've basically outsourced the actual development of games to their fans while still taking all the profit. 95% of new content released in TF2 is community made content and then they sell it in loot boxes and give the creator pennies on the dollar.

it's hilarious, and completely obvious in retrospect

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

sector_corrector posted:

Valve as a flat-hierarchy company is also self-curated and here is what that ended up being:
https://www.pcgamer.com/ex-valve-employee-describes-ruthless-industry-politics/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What do valve employees do. Isn't it a huge company. They can't all be balancing dota.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

What do valve employees do. Isn't it a huge company. They can't all be balancing dota.

They raethr sit at the computer

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I recommend reading the article (or the reddit recap of the twitter feed), it's really fascinating if you're interested in the industry.

Short answer: Valve has some insane Lords of the Flies level of poo poo going on the inside and people who don't devote most of their time on playing the internal politics game get purged.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Palpek posted:

I recommend reading the article (or the reddit recap of the twitter feed), it's really fascinating if you're interested in the industry.

Short answer: Valve has some insane Lords of the Flies level of poo poo going on the inside and people who don't devote most of their time on playing the internal politics game get purged.

what makes this even better is that before all this stuff came to light they swore it was some kind of developer paradise where everyone just kind of did what they felt like doing lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, in one of the tweets the Valve ex-employee non-ironically recommended reading Hunger Games as an instruction on what to expect and how to behave within the company.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Palpek posted:

Yeah, in one of the tweets the Valve ex-employee non-ironically recommended reading Hunger Games as an instruction on what to expect and how to behave within the company.

Sounds like they spend a lot of time reading the hunger games at valve

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Palpek posted:

turns out that Valve's entry into the Battle Royale format has been developed entirely for use within the company

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

i think 5 of them also work on adding new overpowered weapons to csgo occasionally

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

Sounds like they spend a lot of time reading the hunger games at valve

Theyre hungry because Gabe Newell ate all of their lunches the legendary fat bastard.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Theyre hungry because Gabe Newell ate all of their lunches the legendary fat bastard.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

American McGay posted:

i too was frightened when i discovered capitalism

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I call it, Crapitalism.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1024146293789052928

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Hahahahaha. PC MASTER RACE!!!!!!!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Cock of Poopy,

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

its a multiplatform procedurally generated metroidvania so not having the exe is good

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my favorite parts of sotn, order of ecclasia, super metroid, metroid zero mission, cave story, etc were the parts where every level are the same procgen hallway with a part that goes up or down and at the up/down part theres a dead end where you have to use Item thats unlocked through Runs

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

you get a text file with an iou

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

an actual dog posted:

you get a text file with an iou

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mysterious loyall X posted:

my favorite parts of sotn, order of ecclasia, super metroid, metroid zero mission, cave story, etc were the parts where every level are the same procgen hallway with a part that goes up or down and at the up/down part theres a dead end where you have to use Item thats unlocked through Runs

It looks really good especially the danmaku elements

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

valve being a hellish pit of corporate politics is literally the least surprising news ever reported

"IT'S LIKE IRL FORTNITE IN THAT PLACE!!!!" - NEET gamer