Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You can see it on the ticket, and it's often the same price to make sure you're not on a codeshare. I'm just pointing out the connecting points because those are the locations where there is an actual JAL/ANA flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Phone posted:

but it was worth the $25 you saved on the plane ticket

I’ve flown round trip eat coast US from Japan for I think 600 USD? On China Air. At that point it’s worth it, but yeah if it’s within 200 or so I’ll take any other airline.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Out of curiosity what's wrong with Chinese airlines/connecting in China?

We flew Air China and connected in Beijing last year and other than the airport being a concrete and glass sweatbox and the staff being dressed in some kind of paramilitary swat uniform poo poo that made it feel even more like a prison it wasn't any more off-putting than any other international travel I've done.

If you don’t think it’s a problem then it’s not a problem!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually just skim the last 40 pages and there’s more than enough information

HELLO IM GOING TO JAPAN WHERE DO I GO

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone been to the railroad museum in Saitama who would know how equipped the staff are to explain everything in English, if at all? I know some of the exhibits like "work at a JR ticket counter" are a lost cause, but I'm hoping to try one of the cab simulators and my Japanese isn't at "operate heavy machinery" levels yet.

I'll go either way because it seems fun, just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It’s mostly in Japanese but my nephew still loved it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Out of curiosity what's wrong with Chinese airlines/connecting in China?

oh my sweet summer child

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Alright, I've gone ahead and jumped down the rabbit hole of planning a trip for October, 2019.

I've used this site: https://www.twowanderingsoles.com/b...-to-Visit-Japan

among many others with little tips and so on. I know I want to fly into Haneda, on Japan Airlines (cheapest, and All Nippon Airlines seems WAY more expensive), though if you have suggestions for other good airlines, I'm open.

All that said, when is the best time to actually BUY the tickets? Obviously we're more than a year out, so we can't do it just yet. But the wife and I are meticulous planners and like to have stuff mapped out as early as possible, though I know this isn't always possible. How early have you all booked your flights, and when did you get the best deals?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Nanigans posted:

Alright, I've gone ahead and jumped down the rabbit hole of planning a trip for October, 2019.

I've used this site: https://www.twowanderingsoles.com/b...-to-Visit-Japan

among many others with little tips and so on. I know I want to fly into Haneda, on Japan Airlines (cheapest, and All Nippon Airlines seems WAY more expensive), though if you have suggestions for other good airlines, I'm open.

All that said, when is the best time to actually BUY the tickets? Obviously we're more than a year out, so we can't do it just yet. But the wife and I are meticulous planners and like to have stuff mapped out as early as possible, though I know this isn't always possible. How early have you all booked your flights, and when did you get the best deals?

Plane ticket pricing is basically an some sort of arcane art at this point but I've read like 3-5 months ahead of the trip is cheapest.

That said, I got round trip tickets for under 500 USD from China to the US on a very good, non-mainland Chinese airline for a trip about a month and a half away and can't conceive them getting cheaper so really it's a big ???? on this.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
ANA code shares with United not American.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fair warning - October 2019 is the Rugby World Cup, which won’t be as big for overseas travel as a FIFA soccer World Cup would be, but is something that hotels and travel organizers are already planning on. Plan accordingly.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Me and a couple of friends are also going in October 2019 and we've found a lot of places are already booked up (or close to it) on booking.com - I'd suggest reserving hotels soon if you can - at least most places on booking.com allow for free cancellation up until a few months before the actual stay.

I guess this would be the right thread for it, but has anyone got experience buying tickets online for NJPW King of Pro Wrestling in October? Apparently the top-tier and bottom-tier seating gives you actual chairs and the rest is all sumo-style seating where I'd need to be cross legged or kneeling down for like 5 hours, which I'm super not into. Tickets tend to go on sale mid-August but I know from my last trip that it can be awkward with some places to book tickets for shows when you aren't living in Japan and have to put down a foreign address, even if you're picking up in store, but I wanna get in ASAP (in 2019) to get good seats if I can.

Also, my friends are trying to get Rugby World Cup tickets, but after a few phases of ticket ballots they were only able to get tickets to one of the four games they applied for, and it was probably their least desired one. Are ticket resellers for big sports events like these much of a thing in Japan or have they generally got scalpers locked down?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Me and a couple of friends are also going in October 2019 and we've found a lot of places are already booked up (or close to it) on booking.com - I'd suggest reserving hotels soon if you can - at least most places on booking.com allow for free cancellation up until a few months before the actual stay.

I guess this would be the right thread for it, but has anyone got experience buying tickets online for NJPW King of Pro Wrestling in October? Apparently the top-tier and bottom-tier seating gives you actual chairs and the rest is all sumo-style seating where I'd need to be cross legged or kneeling down for like 5 hours, which I'm super not into. Tickets tend to go on sale mid-August but I know from my last trip that it can be awkward with some places to book tickets for shows when you aren't living in Japan and have to put down a foreign address, even if you're picking up in store, but I wanna get in ASAP (in 2019) to get good seats if I can.

Also, my friends are trying to get Rugby World Cup tickets, but after a few phases of ticket ballots they were only able to get tickets to one of the four games they applied for, and it was probably their least desired one. Are ticket resellers for big sports events like these much of a thing in Japan or have they generally got scalpers locked down?

New Japan: King of Pro Wrestling is at Ryogoku which also has chairs/benches up in the cheap seats, which are fine, because it’s smaller than an NBA/ice hockey arena and maybe 9,000 capacity tops. Getting tickets is easiest through convenience stores, I can PM you details or you can check the OP of the main NJPW thread since I did a write-up.

Rugby: I know the official sales will keep going with individual game sales between now and then. Keep going through the official channels, they’ll open more tickets and more single-game tickets up soon. That’ll be easiest from overseas.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Scalpers are horrible for baseball but if rugby is only available online, not convenience stores, then you have a good chance.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

harperdc posted:

New Japan: King of Pro Wrestling is at Ryogoku which also has chairs/benches up in the cheap seats, which are fine, because it’s smaller than an NBA/ice hockey arena and maybe 9,000 capacity tops. Getting tickets is easiest through convenience stores, I can PM you details or you can check the OP of the main NJPW thread since I did a write-up.

Rugby: I know the official sales will keep going with individual game sales between now and then. Keep going through the official channels, they’ll open more tickets and more single-game tickets up soon. That’ll be easiest from overseas.
Thanks! Just checked out your post in the NJPW thread. I want to try and get near-front seats if possible which I assume will sell out pretty fast if I don't book in August, and I won't arrive until late September. Though if it's a fairly small venue then the cheap seats won't be as bad as a backup as I was expecting.
When I went to see a DDT show last time I used one of those concert ticket purchasing services (the exact one you link to in your post, actually!) and collected the tickets from a convenience store, but if I can cut out that middle man and book them online myself (and guarantee I'm there as soon as ticketing opens rather than just whenever they get around to it) then that would be ideal. Maybe I'll use this year as a dry run to at least look at the online ordering system but not actually purchase anything.

I might buy some on-the-day convenience store tickets for DDT/Stardom/Tokyo Joshi stuff if I happen to have a bit of free time on a match day, though!

My friends are going to keep trying through the official channels for rugby but are getting worried and starting to think about Plans B through to Z. Fingers crossed, I guess!

Incidentally, I'll be by myself while they're at the rugby matches - anyone got favourite things to do solo while in Tokyo and Kobe? For Tokyo at least, I'll probably get a bit of photography, clothes shopping and game centres in.

peanut posted:

Scalpers are horrible for baseball but if rugby is only available online, not convenience stores, then you have a good chance.
Hah, for once I think they actually want scalpers to exist. Worst case scenario for them is for a game to be sold out entirely to people who want to go to the matches!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The convenience store pickup option is also because a lot of Japanese people want to pay in cash and/or don’t want things delivered to their homes, because it’s usually easier to get them printed at 7-11 than wait for a delivery man to arrive/get a missed delivery slip and wait for the next day. It’s not unique to that site, it’s just part of the norms.

For Tokyo the stadium being used for the RWC is out in the western suburbs, so depending on where you stay, it’ll be easy to hang out in Shinjuku on that day/night until your traveling group gets back from the match. I’m not familiar enough with Kobe to give advice, but similar “wait near hotel/major train station” would be an idea.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ah, weird. I might be better off using that booking site again just to be safe then. I would've assumed that you could book online and pick up in a convenience store rather than get it delivered.

For the first Tokyo match they plan on seeing, it'll actually be between locations. It's out in Shizuoka and since that's like a third of the way to Osaka anyway, we thought that would be a good day to switch out cities, so they'll be heading off to the match (dropping luggage off to Ta-Q-Bin) and I'll stay in Tokyo for a few hours - then we'll get our respective trains to Osaka and meet up there. Maybe I'll break from the usual "research everything myself!" plan and book a walking tour on Voyagin or something to see if there's any neat stuff I missed.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
So I'm planning a trip to Japan for May 2019 and already have my tickets. I'd like to get a little review of my tentative plans for days in which cities. Wether you think I need more/less days in certain cities or even adding a city to my current ones. Thanks for any help!

16- Arrive to airport at 7pm, Tokyo
17- Tokyo
18- Tokyo
19- Leave for Kyoto in morning, Kyoto
20- Kyoto
21- Kyoto
22- Leave for Osaka in morning, Osaka
23- Osaka
24- Leave for Tokyo in morning, Tokyo
25- Tokyo
26- Tokyo
27- Fly out

Edited to say we're most likely doing bullet trains for all transport and have no problem buying a JR Rail Pass.

Cbear fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 30, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cbear posted:

So I'm planning a trip to Japan for May 2019 and already have my tickets.

Do you mind giving some airline info? I'm actually aiming for May '19 for my partner and my trip, but we haven't bought tickets and have only begun looking.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

May '19 seems popular. I'll be there 8-28.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Do you mind giving some airline info? I'm actually aiming for May '19 for my partner and my trip, but we haven't bought tickets and have only begun looking.

We're coming from DC/Baltimore area. We got tickets through Alaska / Singapore airlines with one stop in LA. Ended up being $708 round trip through Priceline. I couldn't see them going that much lower so we pulled the trigger.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cbear posted:

Ended up being $708 round trip

Holy fuuuuuuuuuck I gotta get on this! Thanks for the info.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cbear posted:

So I'm planning a trip to Japan for May 2019 and already have my tickets. I'd like to get a little review of my tentative plans for days in which cities. Wether you think I need more/less days in certain cities or even adding a city to my current ones. Thanks for any help!

17- Tokyo
18- Tokyo
20- Kyoto
21- Kyoto
23- Osaka
25- Tokyo
26- Tokyo
27- Fly out

Edited to say we're most likely doing bullet trains for all transport and have no problem buying a JR Rail Pass.

This is a very sane and good timeline for a 10 day trip to Japan.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cbear posted:

Remember to plan for 1-2 hours in the airport getting through customs and other entry procedures. Also if arriving in Narita, it's an hour from Tokyo proper even by express train. If you arrive in the evening, don't expect to do much more than check in at hotel and crash afterwards.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd put in for taking an extra Kyoto day or stay in Nara overnight, take one from the Tokyo return. Was just there and it is worth it, staying is also nice so you don't have to rush back to Kyoto or Osaka.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Cbear posted:

17- Tokyo
18- Tokyo
20- Kyoto
21- Kyoto
23- Osaka
25- Tokyo
26- Tokyo
27- Fly out

I would say spend an extra day in Kyoto since Osaka is only a 20 minute subway away. Just leave your bags in Osaka station and take an evening train to tokyo.

Stay near Tokyo station and if you don’t mind paying extra the oakwood premier suites is a good choice. Or mitsui garden hotel.

Actually jam all the Tokyo days in the front or back that way you won’t have to switch so many hotels and have time for jet lag

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

For this timeline, "haven't opened bookings yet" seems as likely as "all booked up" (as they display the same on sites.) Japanese hotels IME tend to open bookings much less far in advance than American -- some exceptions for foreigner-targeted hotels but generally I found best availability 3 months ahead of the month of booking.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Saeku posted:

For this timeline, "haven't opened bookings yet" seems as likely as "all booked up" (as they display the same on sites.) Japanese hotels IME tend to open bookings much less far in advance than American -- some exceptions for foreigner-targeted hotels but generally I found best availability 3 months ahead of the month of booking.
The place we were looking at for Iya Valley area is definitely this case. Had to check availability month-by-month til I saw how far in advance they open bookings for. Booking.com hella needs updated to say "booking not yet available for this property" for thos places. Although some of the places we were checking for Tokyo were allowing for bookings and stating that there was only 2 rooms left or whatever.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just call or email the place if it’s too far in advance, they would be happy to oblige

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

The place we were looking at for Iya Valley area is definitely this case.

There are like only 4-5 places in Iya Valley to stay and the one we stayed at was meh food/service-wise, and the other place which we stopped by seemed that way too. Prices are expensive due to food transport there. Decent place to visit as it's pretty.

PS: I'm kinda a stickler for ryokan quality so ymmv.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Idk man the ryokan thing seems cool but it seems pretty $$$ to do correctly. Business hotels are cheap and then you can spend your money elsewhere I guess?

Disclaimer: I'm waiting to board my first flight to Tokyo

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Iya doesn't have many business hotels XD Check out Happy Raft if you have enough days. There's a few rafting companies around Tokushima/Kochi but Happy Raft is guaranteed bilingual.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
as someone who is currently in Japan, I feel pretty confident in going on the record and telling people "enjoy Japan, it is cool and good"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Idk man the ryokan thing seems cool but it seems pretty $$$ to do correctly. Business hotels are cheap and then you can spend your money elsewhere I guess?

Disclaimer: I'm waiting to board my first flight to Tokyo

A "proper" Kyoto style ryokan can be very expensive, if you want a huge room and an in house onsen. I personally don't think it's worth the cost of doing it more than once.

But Japan is full of minshuku's, which still usually have Japanese style rooms, only simpler and usually with a shared bathroom. The food can also still be really good in a minshuku, I stayed in a minshuku a little ways west of Shimoda, for example, which was just a room in the house of a local fisherwoman who would go out and dive for seafood every day to serve to the guests. The dinner was huge, with really great seashell soup and whatnot, but we still didn't pay more than 3000 yen a night. Places like that are hard to find without knowing Japanese though.

In the cities business hotels are often your only cheap option, although there might be reasonably priced airbnb's and some inner city minshuku's or minimalist ryokans exist, like this one in Tokyo: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066442-d320548-Reviews-Homeikan-Bunkyo_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 31, 2018

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Thanks for all the replies on the itinerary my friends. You guys rock. I already booked my accommodations for the Osaka and Kyoto legs today.

My next question is do you guys recommend staying in two different parts of Tokyo for the two split legs? I think we will stay in Shibuya and Shinjuku for one of the legs. Just wondering what other areas are recommended for the other one.

Appreciate all the help so far.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ueno?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cbear posted:

Thanks for all the replies on the itinerary my friends. You guys rock. I already booked my accommodations for the Osaka and Kyoto legs today.

My next question is do you guys recommend staying in two different parts of Tokyo for the two split legs? I think we will stay in Shibuya and Shinjuku for one of the legs. Just wondering what other areas are recommended for the other one.

Appreciate all the help so far.

If you want to go to Disneyland: stay around Tokyo station/hatchobori.

I'm flying to Osaka for a little 3 day trip today, probably going to go to Shirahama beach, Kyoto and eat horumon.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

The Great Autismo! posted:

as someone who is currently in Japan, I feel pretty confident in going on the record and telling people "enjoy Japan, it is cool and good"

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I dunno, Minshukus are great and Ryokans are great.

They're different but it's all great - I like staying at lots of both because it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If you're the kind of person that won't panic when your AirBNB gets cancelled I highly recommend booking AirBNB for as many days as possible. Worst case is you end up somewhere in your budget that's nice. Best case you stay somewhere good for free.

Basically - AirBNB is currently cancelling reservations 3 days ahead of time if the place has yet to provide proper registration information. They give you a full refund and give you a coupon for the same amount that you can use to book somewhere else.

We got a place for $544 for 3 nights (4 people in a multiple bedroom house) and when it got cancelled we got a $544 coupon for a stay somewhere and a $100 "experiences" coupon which hasn't been used yet.

I made sure to book the first place somewhere that didn't talk about being registered to increase our chances of a free stay and it worked out great. Just be aware that you're gonna have to be ready to re-book something mid trip and not panic about having nowhere to stay.