Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo I stopped thinking about oildome for like a day. Jesus, yes. This guy needs to go to Oildome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I am unfamiliar with the oildome. Is this something like Turkish wrestling?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mewse posted:

Lol "winning" at sparring

I do about 7 hours of muay thai a week and there are dudes who treat sparring as a fight to the death instead of training. And it freaking sucks because they're the dudes who aren't coming in every day.

I seriously wonder how much drama it would cause if I just said "no" when the instructor pairs me up with one of these dudes.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

spacetoaster posted:

I do about 7 hours of muay thai a week and there are dudes who treat sparring as a fight to the death instead of training. And it freaking sucks because they're the dudes who aren't coming in every day.

I seriously wonder how much drama it would cause if I just said "no" when the instructor pairs me up with one of these dudes.

When people come to my gym like that, especially if they only do it to the less experienced guys (like me), the pro's quickly notice and they get taught a very brutal punishing lesson and either learn it the first time, or then are too scared to come back.

Last time it happened some really young guy, like 18 or something, pretended he hadn't boxed before, but you could tell he had, he tried taking my head off. I went purely defense mode, everyone was shouting at him to calm down, I tried to indicate he was going too hard and he loving jabbed me in the mouth and I had to move again before a power punch followed. My friend who wasn't even training called time on the round, got in with no wraps on just gloves, and broke the kids ribs.

I kinda abhorre genuine violence but it's cheap to hit someone who has clearly stopped to communicate and ignore everyone saying slow it down.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

From the UFC May thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855984&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post484176178

quote:

slipNslideFC was pretty good

Untrustable posted:

My brother was in prison for 9 years and told me he would microwave baby oil and put it on the floor of his cell except for the place he was standing. He'd then call out someone in the common area and when they came running in they'd slip and slide and he, standing in the only dry spot, would just pummel them while they tried to gain traction. That's the best base for MMA.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Liquid Communism posted:

:vince: Get reading.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

:stare:

Now I know.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the deal with his constantly broken feet

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Just caught up on the thread and other than more people learning about the oildome this was terrible.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone involved in sumo, or know someone who is involved in sumo? Please PM me or email me at jmartinez729 at gmail. I have a research question regarding the sumo diet and the history of sumo foods for a project.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

In fact, while I'm putting myself out there, if anyone has any martial arts recipes they wouldn't mind sharing with me, or even just the names of meals, that would be very helpful. I'm working on a small project to collect traditional recipes from various martial arts/athletic cultures from around the world.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My friend do you know the power of the super food asaí?

Real answer: look into the Gracie diet. It's this whole system of eating Carlos Gracie invented. Some fairly normal stuff like "eat more vegetables" with whackier things like how you shouldn't pair certain foods.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Açai, the Mangosteen of BJJ.

Edit: haha beaten to the punch

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wait isn't Acai that berry that makes a BJJ taste better?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DandyLion posted:

Wait isn't Acai that berry that makes a BJJ taste better?

I have it on good authority my BJJ tastes pretty great even without Acai:colbert:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
The first thing that springs to mind in a sumo diet is chankonabe which is delicious but will possibly give you the protein shits.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Squirrel Burger posted:

The first thing that springs to mind in a sumo diet is chankonabe which is delicious but will possibly give you the protein shits.

Vice did a thing about Chanko once, and I thought to my self the same thing when the wrestler explained what was in it.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/wn7w5w/the-10000-calorie-sumo-wrestler-diet

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made a half-assed chakonabe once from the vice recipe. It was loving delicious even though I cut like 6 corners.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

chanko nabe was my inspiration for this project, actually. Made a vegetarian version this weekend for meal prep and was amazed by how good it is. It’s even better the next day! I have a background in Japanese cuisine so I knew my way around the ingredients, but it’s definitely worth giving a shot to cook, especially if you’re feeding a bunch of tired, hungry martial artists after training.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Question for boxers in the thread: Are there any specific mitt drills that you find particularly useful for learning proper form and movement or throwing practical combination strikes? I'm gonna be teaching some to level one/beginner students next week and want to emphasize exercises with decently self-evident value in self-defense scenarios, but don't have any particular ones in my back pocket.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't really know how to answer that question. I suppose if you're confronted in a mugging situation and can't flee right away, just blast 1-2s, pivot around them, and then run off.

Proper form doesn't have self-evident value of self-defense, imo. The whole regime of self-defense is so different and orthogonal.
On the other hand, there's no downside to training proper form even if your only goal is self-defense.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

I don't really know how to answer that question. I suppose if you're confronted in a mugging situation and can't flee right away, just blast 1-2s, pivot around them, and then run off.

Proper form doesn't have self-evident value of self-defense, imo. The whole regime of self-defense is so different and orthogonal.
On the other hand, there's no downside to training proper form even if your only goal is self-defense.

That’s a very helpful answer, thank you. I guess I’m asking for beginner drills that emphasize movement, proper stances, and offensive combinations particularly for eliminating bad habits, since that’s my goal in teaching beginners (as opposed to randomly assigning beats and having them step through it like a round of Bop-It). I’ve normally used things like 8-count drills, but I’m curious if anyone has suggestions on what to emphasize for beginners that will carry over to general striking know-how.

In something like a mugging scenario my advice to them is “give him your wallet, dum-dum.”

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 31, 2018

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Maybe like 1 - 2 then have the pad man swing a hook so they have to move? Stepping jabs down a line? Or 1- 2 pivot 90 1-2 ?

Stuff that is more than plant and throw. At least to me that is where form becomes obviously more helpful.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Another is to break the stance and have them recover it - e.g. 1-2, touch the ground, 1-2-3. It drills getting the feet into proper position.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If this is a straight beginner class, spend 1/3 of it showing how to center your weight between your feet, and how to twist your hips into punches while keeping your feet on the ground.
How to slip side to side without completely putting your center of weight outside your hips.

Then pair up and
- throw and slip jabs
- throw and slip crosses
- throw 1-2 and slip the cross to the outside

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Just caught up on this thread. It's really a bummer when people don't listen. I'm at a gym with a pro fighter who has a 9+ wins and two losses, one to a former (and possible very near future) UFC champ, and he can't even get main card at a Bellator event.

If that guy is still reading: get a few amateur MMA fights, and then decide if you're really going to devote your life to getting in the UFC.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Cyber Dog posted:

If that guy is still reading: get a few amateur MMA fights, and then decide if you're really going to devote your life to getting in the UFC.

He's gotta find a real gym and learn the basics of wrestling, jiu jitsu, kickboxing, boxing, and Muay Thai before he takes a fight.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

JaySB posted:

He's gotta find a real gym and learn the basics of wrestling, jiu jitsu, kickboxing, boxing, and Muay Thai before he takes a fight.

Right, I should have specified that taking a couple amateur fights should be a goal, not that he should take them before training.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

JaySB posted:

Havn't taken into account that he probably doesn't need to learn ALL of these if he's mastered the blockchain....

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cyber Dog posted:

I think he did the virtual version of checking out a gym and never coming back.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Don't be scared homie

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Not sure if this is the right thread, but my partner’s dojo (goju ryu/kobudo- in US) is looking to switch suppliers for high quality bo/tonfa. They used to use the same place for years but the turnaround time has started to creep into ‘years’ territory.

They’ve tried a couple distributors and aren’t super happy with what they’ve gotten- does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts weapon suppliers that aren’t selling dangerously crummy things?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BadSamaritan posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but my partner’s dojo (goju ryu/kobudo- in US) is looking to switch suppliers for high quality bo/tonfa. They used to use the same place for years but the turnaround time has started to creep into ‘years’ territory.

They’ve tried a couple distributors and aren’t super happy with what they’ve gotten- does anyone have any recommendations for martial arts weapon suppliers that aren’t selling dangerously crummy things?

It's probably the best thread to ask, but we don't really have a ton of TMA practitioners in here.

I order judo and BJJ gis wholesale from https://www.jukado.com and they have section of TMA weapons. They're by no means the most perfect of suppliers, but I've never felt that their turnaround was slow. I typically have my order in my hands within a week of processing payment. No idea about the quality.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

What are the requirements for the bo? Are there techniques where you support your weight on the staff? Certain weight?

Purple Heart was linked earlier, and honestly the prices look pretty good to me:
http://www.woodenswords.com/category_s/2066.htm
http://www.woodenswords.com/product_p/tonfa.20-4.625.htm

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 3, 2018

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

As far as I know, they don’t support their weight on the bo staffs, but they like to have a good amount of heft to it along with a little bit of give/flexibility for their kata and pair work. They used to order through Shureido (made out of oak), and still would if it didn’t take a year and a half to get a stick.

Thankfully they found a decent sai distributor (Dreammetal) since there are huge problems with crummy ones shattering during pair work :ohdear:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Teachable moment: https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/7/...d-deformed-hand
2 bigger, trained fighters cannot easily put away two kids who start a street fight.

Obviously their training serves them extremely well, but the moment a knife or gun enters the equation, it's not gonna help much.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

People always ask poo poo like "so if there was a fight you'd totally easily win right?" And I always disappoint by sucking all the air out of that conversation because poo poo like that story is what really happens. Plus or minus a lawsuit maybe.

Sucks for the fighter too because that seemed really random.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My main thing I tell people when they ask about fighting is that fighting is bad and dangerous and the best self defense is to never put yourself in a situation where you have to fight.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Lessons:
Plate glass windows are to be avoided at all costs
Do not go back to training 10 days after you get stitches in your hand
Take care of your injuries properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
that guy hit a nice hook sweep when he was taken down