Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Replace it with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBBHxq_klsQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

The last chronological story before they dumped the EU was about the Sith showing up 100 years after the movies, destroying the Jedi and helping the Empire to conquer the Republic,

Prester John Kenobi

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's always been Star Wars in whatever medium it's in. The Empire always strikes back, doesn't it? The last chronological story before they dumped the EU was about the Sith showing up 100 years after the movies, destroying the Jedi and helping the Empire to conquer the Republic, leaving the last ships in the Republic fleet turning into the Rebel Alliance once more. One becomes inured to it.

That there are always Star Wars in Star Wars is not the problem. The problem is that TLJ has roughly the same narrative structure as Iron Man 1.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That there are always Star Wars in Star Wars is not the problem. The problem is that TLJ has roughly the same narrative structure as Iron Man 1.

Sure, whatever. I mean, I don't think I disagree, but I don't really care that much either.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I had an argument with someone today who was annoyed at TLJ because "it didn't allow Luke Skywalker to be his true self".

Like... what?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

glad she is dead posted:

I had an argument with someone today who was annoyed at TLJ because "it didn't allow Luke Skywalker to be his true self".

Like... what?

Meaning he should've killed Kylo Ren and all those other guys with this lightsaber. Star Wars fans want Luke to be Jabba's Palace Luke from RotJ, not post-Throne Room Luke.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Meaning he should've killed Kylo Ren and all those other guys with this lightsaber. Star Wars fans want Luke to be Jabba's Palace Luke from RotJ, not post-Throne Room Luke.

No, I get that. I just think it's weird he thinks there's some objective ideal of Luke Skywalker that the films have a duty to depict accurately and to not.. get in the way of?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glad she is dead posted:

No, I get that. I just think it's weird he thinks there's some objective ideal of Luke Skywalker that the films have a duty to depict accurately and to not.. get in the way of?

The past 5 years or so has taught me that this is an extremely common viewpoint.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The only way I can make sense of it is to treat it like they're arguing theology rather than film.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

glad she is dead posted:

The only way I can make sense of it is to treat it like they're arguing theology rather than film.

Fandom is a defanging of fanaticism, so it checks out.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

glad she is dead posted:

"canonical sources"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Star Wars is a religion where an infinite number of Luke Skywalker stories have been written in the minds of kids growing up with the toys and video games and all the rest. So it's definitely very personal, but it's literally impossible to please everyone because so much of it has been defined by fans "writing" their own stories.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

glad she is dead posted:

Like... what?

Luke’s true self is Qui-Gon Jinn, so I tentatively agree.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Luke’s true self is Qui-Gon Jinn, so I tentatively agree.

I'm curious, how do you read Luke's disappearance at the end of TLJ?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Basebf555 posted:

okay well he wasn't post-throne room luke in this film either???

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

okay well he wasn't post-throne room luke in this film either???

Well he'd had a relapse, that's what caused this whole mess with Ben.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

glad she is dead posted:

superman, optimus prime, and luke skywalker are the holy trinity of infallible father figures for nerd dudes slightly older than my generation (or older brother figure in luke's case)

so when new things come out and show them as fallible hoo boy, will you never hear the end of it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The smartest thing the sequel trilogy has done is make Luke a clueless, dangerous old man who paved the road to hell with his good intentions.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Basebf555 posted:

Really? You think people remember Luke as some sort of dark badass and not the idealistic hero who won the throne room encounter by throwing his lightsaber down and refusing to accept that his father was beyond saving?

People struggle to understand TLJ Luke because ROTJ did a much better job of selling them on its happy ending than the sequels have done on selling the new universe as the natural extension of what came before. TLJ Luke makes sense in the context that he's been crushed by the meaninglessness of his victory in the throne room, but there's not enough context for that failure because nobody understands what the gently caress happened in the intervening 30 years.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

glad she is dead posted:

Like... what?

Now luke's dead we'll never get to see him pick up those power converters from Tosche Station (although of course its been swallowed up into the sprawl of niima outpost these days so probably not as much fun anyway).

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
i still dont understand y they turnd hoth into a star killer base

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

UmOk posted:

Wampa Power

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

The current theory is that it was Ilum, actually. Not officially confirmed anywhere yet, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was Hoth actually.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We only know the Death Star seen in Return of the Jedi is a different one from the one scene in A New Hope because the one in Return of the Jedi revolves around a planetoid to keep its shield up, therefore making a small moon unlike the one in A New Hope which is explicitly stated not to be a moon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It was Hoth actually.

There's a forest on Starkiller, but there were no forests on Hoth.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The ST has been the biggest starkiller of all

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

glad she is dead posted:

Like... what?

This makes sense to me--if there was a movie where Superman was a sucky jackass who doesn't do poo poo it would be kind of weird. I realize Luke is a more ambiguous character than Superman but it's not wholly dissimilar.

Edit: I admit a lot of the issue is probably that TLJ is not very good, not that Luke is a sadsack loser per se.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

There's no forest in Antartica, but there are in Africa, Australia and South America, all just north of Antartica.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ingmar terdman posted:

The ST has been the biggest starkiller of all

Very good.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
the forests of equatorial hoth are where the snow trolls dwell, but one fateful day the force drew one north to have one mangle Luke to cover for his motorcycle wreck so he didn't get UCMJ from Admiral Ackbar

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bongo Bill posted:

They grew in the book where Poe Dameron farts on the wedding.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

glad she is dead posted:

Like... what?

This actually makes a lot of sense when you consider the context of...

glad she is dead posted:

Luke was/is (verb tense depends on who you ask) Jesus Christ, the anointed one who could do no wrong because of his great love for his friends. Someone who is literally perfect does not suddenly turn on their own nephew.

This turned Star Wars from a fairy tale with a consistent message to...something more relevant I guess but much less Star Warsy overall as a result. And it can all be traced back to these shifty, muddy new morals as we jump from one director to the next, getting further and further away from George’s singular fairy tale vision.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Sio posted:

Really? You think people remember Luke as some sort of dark badass and not the idealistic hero who won the throne room encounter by throwing his lightsaber down and refusing to accept that his father was beyond saving?

People struggle to understand TLJ Luke because ROTJ did a much better job of selling them on its happy ending than the sequels have done on selling the new universe as the natural extension of what came before. TLJ Luke makes sense in the context that he's been crushed by the meaninglessness of his victory in the throne room, but there's not enough context for that failure because nobody understands what the gently caress happened in the intervening 30 years.

NEW ROTJ ENDING

LEIA: Let's restore the Republic!

MON MOTHMA: I don't know how to do this. I was a useless opposition leader in the Old Republic and don't know what to do now. I don't know why you didn't realise that I suck.

LEIA and MON MOTHMA turn to the camera.

TOGETHER: Oh dear!

FREEZE FRAME. PERKY JAZZ as the camera depicts THE REPUBLIC DISARMING FOR NO REASON, followed by LUKE FAILING AS JEDI POPE and LEIA BEING TOTALLY DISCREDITED BY CORRUPT SENATORS. The final shot is PALPATINE laughing as his face morphs into SNOKE.

ROLL CREDITS.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

It was Hoth actually.

I think you'll find that Hoth was Tatooine all along, m8.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This turned Star Wars from a fairy tale with a consistent message to...something more relevant I guess but much less Star Warsy overall as a result. And it can all be traced back to these shifty, muddy new morals as we jump from one director to the next, getting further and further away from George’s singular fairy tale vision.

Surely the prequels aren't a fairy tale either. They were updating Star Wars into "something more relevant" for 1999-2005.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 31, 2018

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some like it Ken Leung.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Wheat Loaf posted:

Surely the prequels aren't a fairy tale either. They were updating Star Wars into "something more relevant" for 1999-2005.
Yeah. I actually think it was the thought process that Star Wars has to be mythopoeiac and archetypal---so you have THE DESERT, and THE PRINCESS and THE WIZARD etc----that led to the Sequel Trilogy being such a trashfire. The first two trilogies treat the Star Wars Galaxy as a setting with a history, cause and effect, geography, so on, and the sequel trilogy is like "this is an allegory for millennials! fascists suck! power of love lol!"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Tattooth is tidally locked. The desert is the side facing the suns, the ice is the other side. The small temperate band in the middle is Endor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

Tattooth is tidally locked. The desert is the side facing the suns, the ice is the other side. The small temperate band in the middle is Endor.

Nothing in the movies contradicts this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Harime Nui posted:

Yeah. I actually think it was the thought process that Star Wars has to be mythopoeiac and archetypal---so you have THE DESERT, and THE PRINCESS and THE WIZARD etc----that led to the Sequel Trilogy being such a trashfire. The first two trilogies treat the Star Wars Galaxy as a setting with a history, cause and effect, geography, so on, and the sequel trilogy is like "this is an allegory for millennials! fascists suck! power of love lol!"

Can you imagine if TFA had come out when TLJ did? There's no doubt the films would've been something like the utopian New Republic getting subverted by within by the alt-right First Order and their nefarious Supreme Leader Trump Snoke.

As it is, it's just a weird allegorical reading where bad thing = bad thing.