Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Probably my favorite thing about COC is that is captures just how frightening machine guns are, and how infantry combat usually revolved around them. This is something that a lot of WW2 skirmish games tend to get wrong - MGs tend to just be a bit of extra firepower.

In COC, that enemy MG on the second floor of the farmhouse overlooking the field has a huge presence in your mind. Your turn will probably revolve around neutralizing it. MGs keep the enemy pinned down. MGs make it impossible to move over open terrain. You hold your breath while your opponent picks up the dice to shoot a MG at that squad that didn't quite make it into cover. You deploy smoke to blind MGs so your guys can move up. You use your own MGs to suppress the enemy while your infantry maneuver around.

The pacing of the game is really impressive. The first few rounds tend to not see a lot of casualties on either side, with everyone at long range and in cover - You are mostly shooting to suppress the enemy and erode his morale.

I need to play some more COC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

spectralent posted:

I know it's not quite the thread but, if you're into tabletop RPGs and you're interested in historical wargames, I HIGHLY recommend PATROL, by Newstand Press, which comes in Vietnam and WW1 flavours. It's a game about being drafted into a war you hate where the place you're stuck is miserable and everything is trying to kill you, and not going too insane despite those first three things.

Also I played 'Nam and it's not bad. You really need to play to the end to let NVA get the use out of attrition tactics though.

It also exists in Star Wars form, and somebody really needs to run a squad of battledroids as a convention one-shot.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

mllaneza posted:

It also exists in Star Wars form, and somebody really needs to run a squad of battledroids as a convention one-shot.

I somehow had no idea and this sounds amazing. Link?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Geisladisk posted:

Probably my favorite thing about COC is that is captures just how frightening machine guns are, and how infantry combat usually revolved around them. This is something that a lot of WW2 skirmish games tend to get wrong - MGs tend to just be a bit of extra firepower.

In COC, that enemy MG on the second floor of the farmhouse overlooking the field has a huge presence in your mind. Your turn will probably revolve around neutralizing it. MGs keep the enemy pinned down. MGs make it impossible to move over open terrain. You hold your breath while your opponent picks up the dice to shoot a MG at that squad that didn't quite make it into cover. You deploy smoke to blind MGs so your guys can move up. You use your own MGs to suppress the enemy while your infantry maneuver around.

The pacing of the game is really impressive. The first few rounds tend to not see a lot of casualties on either side, with everyone at long range and in cover - You are mostly shooting to suppress the enemy and erode his morale.

I need to play some more COC.

Things like this make the game seem super cool, but the Bolt Action crew where I live tried CoC and basically shrugged and went back to BA. :sigh:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Endman posted:

Things like this make the game seem super cool, but the Bolt Action crew where I live tried CoC and basically shrugged and went back to BA. :sigh:
The game is super cool, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. A lot of folks really get into the "list building" part of the hobby, which is something that is almost completely absent from CoC. And some people get really torqued that every one of their little men doesn't do exactly what they want. There was a many-page meltdown by some dude on the TMP message boards who argued (poorly) at length that CoC's depiction of battlefield friction was "unrealistic" and that the game would somehow be better using BA's activation mechanics. There's no cure for stupid.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

CoC also has a bunch of free army lists on their website/forum, plus a breakdown on how to make lists out of real-world platoon organizations.

There are also excellent free supplements for the Spanish Civil War and Vietnam.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The one thing about CoC that throws me is the support lists. They're absolutely a fantastic idea and a great method of avoiding the 'well i'll just take all the tigers I can' dickhead. But from someone starting I found it tough to have enough of the options to be satisfied with the rolls.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I think it's part of the really tight focus on "an infantry platoon" that CoC holds. Having a Sherman assigned to the platoon is pretty rad anyway, no one's going to give a squad an entire squad of tanks. I do agree though, I sometimes wish it were slightly larger scale without being a full Company-sized game. I think the Big Chain of Command supplement could help with that issue, although ideally it wants to be a 2v2 scenario.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cassa posted:

The one thing about CoC that throws me is the support lists. They're absolutely a fantastic idea and a great method of avoiding the 'well i'll just take all the tigers I can' dickhead. But from someone starting I found it tough to have enough of the options to be satisfied with the rolls.
A lot of this is dependent upon the scenario, as the first couple in the book (Patrol and Probe) generally have pretty low support levels. Further, many of the support options are single figures (a Medic, an extra Senior Leader, a Sniper, a FOO) and are really easy to put in play. For the smaller missions, you'll often max out at a single tank (which generally sit in the neighborhood of List 5 or List 6 until you get to the ridiculously huge stuff late in the war). The single Perry Desert Rats box I bought gave me enough dudes to do a complete platoon (2x Senior Leaders, 3x 10-man Sections w/ Bren, Boys ATR, 2" Mortar Team) as well as an extra 2" mortar team and a FOO, and still have one guy left over to be a Medic or extra crew for a MMG or AT gun. Grab yourself one armored car and a medium tank and you're covered for most situations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Does anyone know of decent 1/72 (or compatible 20mm) resin or metal streltsy models? I really need to expand my range. I have a solid core of the Zvezda plastic streltsy - around 300 men - and another 120 or so Strelets streltsy I picked up on ebay, but I need to add some variety into the mix, maybe some of their artillery troops in the mix, etc.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Adorable
:allears:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Torabi posted:

I just realized that I've been misreading Too Fat Lardies as Too Fat Ladies so I was picturing some hefty women who were really good at making wargaming rules. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed.

They were British celebrity chefs in the 90's. The wargaming name is a joke on that.

(yes, they are riding down a high street with dead animals on the side car. The wife and I caught a episode recently, and it was basically stodge the cooking show. nothing looked good to eat at all. the 90's were a dangerous time.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grey Hunter posted:

They were British celebrity chefs in the 90's. The wargaming name is a joke on that.

(yes, they are riding down a high street with dead animals on the side car. The wife and I caught a episode recently, and it was basically stodge the cooking show. nothing looked good to eat at all. the 90's were a dangerous time.)

Yeah, and they were called Two Fat Ladies, which of course became Too Fat Lardies. At least some of their cooking shows (?) were big enough to be broadcasted here in Sweden as well.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Basically every name TFL comes up with is a wordplay on some British cultural thing. If they're not just outright vulgar. The joke is already wearing thin.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

spectralent posted:

I somehow had no idea and this sounds amazing. Link?

This was easier than I had expected to find again,

https://www.patreon.com/posts/14624245

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Fish and Chimps posted:

Basically every name TFL comes up with is a wordplay on some British cultural thing. If they're not just outright vulgar. The joke is already wearing thin.

Nice username / post combo. Someone said there was a cold war WaT thing going on? Is that rumblings or official?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Fish and Chimps posted:

The joke is already wearing thin.

I'm sorry this forum has made you dead inside.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Springfield Fatts posted:

Nice username / post combo. Someone said there was a cold war WaT thing going on? Is that rumblings or official?

Speaking of which, did they ever produce I Ain't Been Nuked, Mum?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fish and Chimps posted:

Sure it is, Mister "Fish and Chimps", if that IS your real name! :colbert:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Nooooo! I got this name by a mod in a random name change thread! My opinions on British dad jokes are still valid!

:reject:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Is there a joke in Quadrant 13, or is it just a Precinct/Apollo 13 reference?

Still mad they didn't use the original title for that one.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JcDent posted:

Adorable
:allears:

My dying breath is gonna be gods own scale.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Springfield Fatts posted:

I think there might have been a misunderstanding.

Gale Force 9/Battlefront are doing a Cold War version of Tanks!, which people in the thread were discussing as a good source of WaT miniatures, but to my knowledge there's been no talk of a Cold war WaT itself.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Speaking of playing CoC solo, are there any good game systems for the pre-modern (i.e. Ancient to Late Medieval) period that can be fun to play solo that way?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

If anyone here plays Hail Caesar, do they have any idea what the "Fierce Fighters" rule does?

It's a rule in a number of lists in the second army list book (Late Antiquity to Early Medieval). At first I just assumed that they meant Tough Fighters but mixed up the wording, something which I've seen a couple times in these poorly edited books, but then the Scots-Irish list has both Tough and Fierce rules on different units. Since nobody really plays this game, searching online gives no answer.

I'll probably have to send them an email.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

MeinPanzer posted:

Speaking of playing CoC solo, are there any good game systems for the pre-modern (i.e. Ancient to Late Medieval) period that can be fun to play solo that way?
Dux Brittaniarum is TFL's ancients game, specifically about the Saxon invasion of post-Roman Britain. I haven't played it, but it uses a card-based activation scheme that may facilitate solo play. But I've heard that (like most Lardie games) the real strength of DuxBrit lies in its campaign system.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MeinPanzer posted:

Speaking of playing CoC solo

:laugh:

Anyway, TFL just makes good rules, even if you need to house rule some stuff for clarification.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Ilor posted:

Dux Brittaniarum is TFL's ancients game, specifically about the Saxon invasion of post-Roman Britain. I haven't played it, but it uses a card-based activation scheme that may facilitate solo play. But I've heard that (like most Lardie games) the real strength of DuxBrit lies in its campaign system.

Anyone tried the campaign rules? Looking for stuff to play with my buddy with our dark age setup.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 1, 2018

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
6mm cold war miniatures. Hit me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Scottia Grendel and Heroic and Ross. Terrible websites, highly variable quality, but you can hammer something together from the two. If you're not looking for late cold wars (the T-72s are terrible at both of them), I had bought samples of T-55 onwards from one or both of them, I could check them out for ya.
GHQ is, of course, king shits of 6mm mountain, but they're dirty cheats, going 1/285 vs. regular 1/300. Their models are still more detailed than some Zvezda 15mm stuff (*cough* Abrams *cough*) and expensive, but it's actually possible to find a European seller.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Don't listen to JcDent. He's angry at GHQ. Absolutely go with them if you have the money for it. They're tiny works of art.

You can get them from the source if you're in the US, or from Magister Militum in Europe.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ilor posted:

Like I said, it's magical.

Ilor, if you don't mind, can I post this on my blog, with attribution?

Fish and Chimps posted:

Don't listen to JcDent. He's angry at GHQ. Absolutely go with them if you have the money for it. They're tiny works of art.

You can get them from the source if you're in the US, or from Magister Militum in Europe.

Slander! I absolutely love GHQ and if you can build an army entirely out of their poo poo (to match scale), fukken do it, it will look amazing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

I know it's not quite the thread but, if you're into tabletop RPGs and you're interested in historical wargames, I HIGHLY recommend PATROL, by Newstand Press, which comes in Vietnam and WW1 flavours. It's a game about being drafted into a war you hate where the place you're stuck is miserable and everything is trying to kill you, and not going too insane despite those first three things.

Also I played 'Nam and it's not bad. You really need to play to the end to let NVA get the use out of attrition tactics though.

Forum's own actual viking shaman Tias is doing a CYOA of Patrol RIGHT NOW.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

DJ Dizzy posted:

CinC is also pretty good. They have company deals for soviets, 10 tanks for $14. Their stuff is all 1/285 so it matches up pretty well with GHQ.

The main difference between GHQ and everyone else is the level of detail. GHQ tanks will have distinct details like panel lines and vents and lots of greeblies, plus fragile add-ons like MGs. Not that other manufacturers don't have good details on their stuff, GHQ just had more generally.

The tank in green is a GHQ "T-74" (Got it because it was the closest they had to the T-72M at the time, the released their actual T-72M a month later :smith:). The tank in the camo pattern is a CinC T-72A. You can see the difference in details pretty clearly.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 1, 2018

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I totally forgot to mention that in my minis buying spree where I bought a bunch of GW stuff that I now want to sell off, a while after I did buy a box of PSC 15mm germans since me and a buddy were entertaining the thought of going into FoW. PSC seems to have grown quite a bit since I bought them like 5+ years ago but they still appear to be very popular. So I guess I might as well paint them once I get the chance. I remember choosing PSC since they don't have "heroic" proportions, are there any other good brands that you can mix with PSC stuff to create variation or is it better to just stick to one brand for consistency?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 1, 2018

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
We're playing a huge GdA battle right now!

Also, I just got enough 15mm US AB to make almost a CoC platoon! I'm rewatching Band of Brothers these days to get inspired.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

Ilor, if you don't mind, can I post this on my blog, with attribution?
Absolutely.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ilor posted:

Absolutely.

Thankee!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
What better way to spend the hottest Summer ever, than to get excited about fighting Nazis in the desert? One of the forces we prepare for our upcoming CoC/WaT games in North Africa are the Cape Town Higlanders.

Whaaaat? Scots from South Africa? Of course! Part 1 covers how I found out about them, and the various compromises I've settled on to be able to field some kilt-wearing gentlemen in the Libyan desert.

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/mediterranean-theater/cape-town-highlanders-part-1

Gonna try to blow through 64 infantrymen in a week or so, because after that I'm going abroad until our campaign is supposed to begin. Wish me luck, because I'm going to need it.

So... many…. Saffers...

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

They all better have accurate tartan. :colbert: