Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thank you! I think that helps a lot.

So far, it seems like "module of functions that take the browser object as an argument" matches my use case best, so far, but I'm going to look into the class thing, because I know nothing about it. I suspect that it's not what I need for this, though, because this is basically [browse to this page in a particular system, get this piece of information. Browse to this page, click on these buttons, report back on what happened.] Because it's limited scope and not something that could/would be reused on other websites/services, I can't yet imagine what a class would look like here.

As for Serious Business ... I'm not getting paid to do it, yet, but I'd like to learn as if I were so that I can rely on it if I choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PyCharm and other JetBrains stuff is 50% off.

https://www.jetbrains.com/promo/friends/

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Any suggestions for career progression paths in Python/software development generally coming from a data analysis background?

I have been using Python for about 18 months, with the last 12 months exclusively as my 9-5. It is my only experience of a programming language so far. The first 6 months were tooling around with pandas and seaborn, working with mid-size time series analysis. Then I took a job as a sole developer for a 6-month old startup, replacing Excel forecasting tools and streamlining rote data tasks with pandas/jupyter notebook. To give you an idea of my experience and development, I wrote my first Python class about 2 weeks into this job. I have since developed and packaged a fairly extensive tabbed GUI app in jupyter notebook using pandas, ipywidgets and bqplot to replace and extend on multiple 100mb+ spreadsheet tools, with multiple file inputs, outputs and config saving, taught myself OO principles, basic git and discovered pycharm.

I feel quite fortunate to have been given the role and the time to develop, but I'm running out of tools to automate and processes to streamline; if I'm not careful I'll be just messing around with similar projects in a year's time. There is no-one there to guide my technical career development in specific toolsets, only to give me new challenges and see if I can find a solution on my own. Also, once I replicate an Excel tool, the original analyst can't really contribute to the development any more, and no-one else can maintain them except me. I'm fairly happy to stay with the company I work with as long as I don't stagnate.

- One immediately obvious role would be to learn SQL and begin interfacing with our customer database which is managed by our franchise parent. They provide us with some standard extracts but we often need to combine them in pandas/excel before we can begin working with them. I think they have a nightly backup of production which I could begin practising with, but again no real guidance.

- An alternative might be to begin doing some kind of web interface for data analytics and insights as we have quite a wealth of data on our customers and their purchases but this is not readily available to our C-levels, perhaps this could be using dash (and django?). The vast majority of Python jobs I see advertised seem to want django, so that seems like a useful option too.

Any other paths I might have missed? Both SQL and web seem like desirable tools but I feel like they have a greater opportunity to learn the 'wrong' way without sufficient guidance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SQL is simple as brick and you definitely should know it regardless of your plans or further career specifics. It also is something you can definitely pick up at your own pace with free materials online.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Django is definitely worth exploring, just because being able to turn anything into a website is a useful tool to have. You'll find you gain quite a lot knowledge about client/server architecture, deployment and packaging, SQL and RDBMSs just through osmosis, but at any time you can drill down into any one of those topics and they're each a discipline of their own

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm using the new PyCharm 2017.22018.2 now with (better?) pipenv support so I'm playing around with pipenv as well. Whenever I install a package a dialog screen shows up in the corner telling me that my pipfile is out of date and that I should run either "pipenv lock" or "pipenv update." Both options are clickable links and I've tried clicking both of them now and they both seem to update my Pipfile the same way.

What's the difference between these two commands and which one is the correct one to use after I install a package?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 31, 2018

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Slimchandi posted:

Any suggestions for career progression paths in Python/software development generally coming from a data analysis background?

Any other paths I might have missed? Both SQL and web seem like desirable tools but I feel like they have a greater opportunity to learn the 'wrong' way without sufficient guidance.

Do you want to become a data scientist, or a BI developer, or a (bigger, better) Data Analyst, or even a Web Developer? Those are all paths you can take from here on out once you have some mastery of Python.

To become a data scientist you would learn a bit of SQL and lots of machine learning/statistics. To become a BI Developer you would learn how to design better dashboards, maybe Tableau and/or Power BI. For a Data Analyst, continue on the path that you are on, learn to tease out more insights from the data and make recommendations. For web development, more Flask and Django and CSS/JS.

SQL is a good bet in all of these endeavours though, simply because of how widespread it is. However it's a big language and you won't need many analytical functions if you are doing web development, or DB management and indexing if you are doing Data Analysis. Learning how to grab data and pivot it is always good to know and doesn't take much effort. :effort:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

“A bit of SQL” is maybe a junior data scientist, or like data science intern. Serious data scientists have to be able to barf any complexity SQL in their sleep and understand basic DBA stuff (indices mainly) to be able to write queries that are not only complex but also don’t destroy databases and execute before heat death of the universe.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm using the new PyCharm 2017.2 now with (better?) pipenv support so I'm playing around with pipenv as well. Whenever I install a package a dialog screen shows up in the corner telling me that my pipfile is out of date and that I should run either "pipenv lock" or "pipenv update." Both options are clickable links and I've tried clicking both of them now and they both seem to update my Pipfile the same way.

What's the difference between these two commands and which one is the correct one to use after I install a package?

PyCharm 2018.2 is the latest. It just dropped 6 days ago.

It also calls out pipenv support as a new feature.

quote:

Support for pipenv

Pipenv simplifies your application's dependency management. PyCharm 2018.2 will automatically create a pipenv when you open a project with a Pipfile, and makes it easy to create new projects with pipenvs

https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/whatsnew/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

PyCharm 2018.2 is the latest. It just dropped 6 days ago.

It also calls out pipenv support as a new feature.

https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/whatsnew/

I’m pretty sure 2017 was a typo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I meant 2018.2.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm not sure why PyCharm recommends update. I mean, update will also lock, but that's not all it does.

AFAIK, lock is what you want.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I've only recently started messing around with Python and I went from the interpreter on WSL to VS Code. Am I missing out on anything by not using PyCharm? I'm only doing simple data munging scripts for now and often use the built-in terminal/interpreter in VS Code.

I generally dislike huge big IDEs, and do often work with SQL. Is that a reason to stick with VS Code for all my coding needs?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

I've only recently started messing around with Python and I went from the interpreter on WSL to VS Code. Am I missing out on anything by not using PyCharm? I'm only doing simple data munging scripts for now and often use the built-in terminal/interpreter in VS Code.

I generally dislike huge big IDEs, and do often work with SQL. Is that a reason to stick with VS Code for all my coding needs?

Old, but a quick perusal makes it seem pretty relevant still:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iutkLjeGc6w

It's basically the same editor vs IDE war as ever, but you owe it to yourself to at least watch some of JetBrains demo videos or maybe look over some of these articles/posts.

FWIW, PyCharm has Jetbrains excellent SQL editor called DataGrip built-in.

It's kind of hard to tell you specifically why it would be worth it for you since it's hard to say what you, specifically, would find important or useful.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The biggest PITA I have with Python and VS Code is that VS Code doesn't pick up the OpenCV bindings, doesn't give me IntelliSense for OpenCV classes, and gives me a red squiggly line for everything OpenCV. PyCharm does not.

Also, PyCharm is stricter about PEP8, which is somewhat of a pain in the rear end, but I think it's a good thing still.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

The biggest PITA I have with Python and VS Code is that VS Code doesn't pick up the OpenCV bindings and doesn't give me IntelliSense and gives me a red squiggly line for everything OpenCV. PyCharm does not.

Also, PyCharm is stricter about PEP8, which is somewhat of a pain in the rear end, but I think it's a good thing still.

FWIW, PyCharm and VS Code can both be configured to be as strict or not strict on PEP8 as you want.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, PyCharm and VS Code can both be configured to be as strict or not strict on PEP8 as you want.

Yeah, I figured. VS Code is crazy extensible, which is a pretty great thing. If you don't like how it does something, there's probably a setting or extension to change that. I use it for a lot of web stuff and it's definitely my favorite editor.

Still contemplating if I want to upgrade to WebStorm, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Still contemplating if I want to upgrade to WebStorm, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

If you care, WebStorm is integrated into PyCharm.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Small nitpick about DataGrip and WebStorm integrations, I don't think they are fully integrated within PyCharm. I'd be ready to bet about DataGrip, not sure about WebStorm. Nevertheless, you can competently develop web and SQL specific stuff in PyCharm, although you will most likely need to get yourself the Professional edition.

Thermopyle posted:

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, I figured. VS Code is crazy extensible, which is a pretty great thing. If you don't like how it does something, there's probably a setting or extension to change that. I use it for a lot of web stuff and it's definitely my favorite editor.

Yeah its under inspections in the settings. You can toggle various general Python and framework/stack-specific inspections on and off, as well as configure their severity and scope both in global and per-project basis.

I don't know if you can integrate new custom inspections natively in PyCharm, but nothing stops your from strapping flake8 or similar as custom toolchain bit to your project to easily invoke extra checker. There's also stuff like SonarLint etc.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mark Larson posted:

A guy in my team does all this stuff in VS Code and his workflows are fine but SQL stuff definitely is way more awkward that it is for me with IntelliJ (I do use DataGrip and PyCharm separately). Also his code sometimes really needs an editors but that's adequately solvable in VS Code too, given some effort.

In general, no, data science activities don't make you immune to advantages of fully fledged general programming tooling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Small nitpick about DataGrip and WebStorm integrations, I don't think they are fully integrated within PyCharm. I'd be ready to bet about DataGrip, not sure about WebStorm. Nevertheless, you can competently develop web and SQL specific stuff in PyCharm, although you will most likely need to get yourself the Professional edition.

I don't use DataGrip-ish features very much, but I use WebStorm-ish stuff extensively. In both cases, they're sometimes behind on features from the standalone version because they just get merged into PyCharm on major revisions or something like that.

Anyway, I'm just going by what Jetbrains has told me on their issue tracker where they've told me that PyCharm and their more "full" IDEs include the features of WebStorm and DataGrip, but the user experience and how you access the features are different.

I can't really commit to a position on this as I haven't done a full in-depth comparison.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

I don't use DataGrip-ish features very much, but I use WebStorm-ish stuff extensively. In both cases, they're sometimes behind on features from the standalone version because they just get merged into PyCharm on major revisions or something like that.

Anyway, I'm just going by what Jetbrains has told me on their issue tracker where they've told me that PyCharm and their more "full" IDEs include the features of WebStorm and DataGrip, but the user experience and how you access the features are different.

I can't really commit to a position on this as I haven't done a full in-depth comparison.

Eh that sounds fair enough, similar to my experience with PyCharm and DataGrip stand-alone. To be fully honest I’ve used little of built in database capacity from PyCharm, but I was recently checking 2018.2 notes for both and there were some seeming differences.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I wish PyLint and PEP8 checkers were better about metaclasses, but there's only so much you can do. It's a running problem for me because I'm using protobuf and the generated files are 100% metaclasses and I hate to turn helpful lints off just because a bunch of classes from one file break the poor linter's brain when used.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 31, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Eh that sounds fair enough, similar to my experience with PyCharm and DataGrip stand-alone. To be fully honest I’ve used little of built in database capacity from PyCharm, but I was recently checking 2018.2 notes for both and there were some seeming differences.

In a complete coincidence I just stumbled across this SO post from someone on the DataGrip team while looking for something else.

quote:

I am Max, the PMM of DataGrip.

We usually say that DataGrip provides the same functionality as all the other IDE's from JetBrains with the database support. As mentioned above, DataGrip provides better user experience as a standalone IDE.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/48862482/23972

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

E: iOS awful app is buggy garbage.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 1, 2018

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I wish PyLint and PEP8 checkers were better about metaclasses, but there's only so much you can do. It's a running problem for me because I'm using protobuf and the generated files are 100% metaclasses and I hate to turn helpful lints off just because a bunch of classes from one file break the poor linter's brain when used.

flake8 lets you configure directories or files to exclude entirely, not sure about pylint.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure why PyCharm recommends update. I mean, update will also lock, but that's not all it does.

AFAIK, lock is what you want.

Cool thanks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That settles it I guess. I think my recent discovery here was that I couldn’t find a DatGrip plugin for PyCharm, but I may have just fat fingered that.

I can’t indeed get XPathView plugin on PyCharm, unlike DataGrip, for some reason.

E: On a second thought, that seems to be mostly deprecated plugin, that I keep just as an “in case” measure.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 1, 2018

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
I'm updating my raspberry pi based info screen thingy I have at home (think one of those magic mirrors without the mirror and more useful info), and wanted to do it in python this time.

The thing pretty obviously breaks into a backend and a front end, so I was thinking of using bottle to serve a react app that then call different endpoints in the bottle to fetch updated info. The bottle app would also periodically make requests to third party APIs and fetch data that it then caches to limit the outbound request count.

Now, for making the requests to the third party APIs, I was thinking of having a bunch of workers, each living in its own thread and periodically updating a local copy of the relevant data from a single 3rd party API. So something like this:

With the outline of the code looking something like this:
Python code:
from bottle import run, route
import threading

class Service:

def __init__(self, delay, updater):
      self.delay = delay
      self.updater = updater
      self.thread = threading.Timer(self.delay, self.handle_function)

def handle_function(self):
      self.updater()
      self.thread = threading.Timer(self.delay, self.handle_function)
      self.thread.start()

def start(self):
      self.thread.start()

class Service1(Service):

def __init__(self):
        super().__init__(5, self.update)

def update(self):
        print('Service 1 update')

class Service2(Service):

def __init__(self):
        super().__init__(2, self.update)

def update(self):
        print('Service 2 update')

@route('/')
def index():
    return "This here would serve the React front end"

def main():
    Service1().start()
    Service2().start()
    threading.Thread(target=run, kwargs=dict(host='localhost', port=8080)).start()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main()
1) Is my overall organization complete poo poo?
2) Is there a more sensible way to have an eternal background worker that sleeps 90% of the time than the silly code above?

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Loezi posted:

1) Is my overall organization complete poo poo?
2) Is there a more sensible way to have an eternal background worker that sleeps 90% of the time than the silly code above?

This looks ok, but I would do it with a Celery queue instead of always having 5 workers spawned, have your main process fire off the tasks to a queue and retrieve the data. So you end up with a solution that hits both points.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It seems way over engineered for such a display.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah, that might be a bit much, I'm not sure exactly what you're using this for, but it makes my brain happy.

As suggested by someone else, celery is your friend for task management. However, I think you don't do that instead, you add it! There's no reason you can't have separate queues and separate workers for each service you're working with there.

Are you using docker to wrangle all of this? It would be extremely simple to spin up a quick docker-compose.yml that sets up all of your services, including one for celerybeat, then you just need one celery config to set up a broker that distributes tasks to the appropriate queue and its associated worker (probably a default redis container).

Again, probably way too much for what you're doing, but I'm a docker convert and I've been in charge of dockerizing and overhauling celery systems at most of my recent jobs. It depends on how much of a load you're trying to handle...if it's really tiny, a single celery queue would handle it, but docker would let you scale up automatically with additional concurrent workers and stuff if you're handling a big load.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Write a small script that fetches whatever from whatever API.

Repeat for each API.

Add them all to your cron file on whatever repeating schedule you want. For bonus points add a lock file of some sort so subsequent runs don't stack up.

That is likely going to be more maintainable and reliable than whatever system you're dreaming of.

If you're just having fun thats cool, but usually for appliance-type things like this to be used by multiple members of your household you want something fast, reliable, and easy to troubleshoot.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Thermopyle posted:

It seems way over engineered for such a display.

Could be, but I'm not really sure how to cut down the complexity other than just moving the responsibilities around.

The code for threading is pretty simple (20 lines global setup + a call to super().__init__() for every worker) and allows me to have a bunch of "do this every so often" modules that are 1) logically separated and 2) can be ran at different intervals. So I can update the estimated arrival time for the buses at the next door bus stop every 10 seconds, the weather every 10 minutes, the lunch menus at both my and my wife's work place every few hours and so forth.

Probably going to skip Celery, seems like it requires me to run a separate broker and I don't really feel like setting this up. Optimally this whole thing should start with "source ~venv/bin/activate; python server.py &; firefox localhost:8080"

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m trying to come up with a function that checks if a float is within the neighbourhood (+ or - 10) from eacht item in a list of floats (returned by a sqlite query).

I’m having a hard time coming up with the logic for checking if it’s in or outside the range.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m trying to come up with a function that checks if a float is within the neighbourhood (+ or - 10) from eacht item in a list of floats (returned by a sqlite query).

I’m having a hard time coming up with the logic for checking if it’s in or outside the range.

If you subtract two numbers and take the absolutely value of that, then you can see how close the values are.

You could do this really easily with numpy. Something like

code:
a = 42.69
b = [1.11, 2.22, 3.33, ...]
foo = b[abs(np.array(b) - a) < 10]
foo should be an array of the values of b that are within +/- 10 of a. Not sure if the syntax is right cause I’m posting but it should be something like that.

e: numpy isn’t needed you could just do a lost comprehension to do the subtraction bit.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 2, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Python code:

tol = 10
foo = [abs(a-b)<tol for b in query]

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Is this the kind of stuff I’d learn from reading Fluent Python?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Is this the kind of stuff I’d learn from reading Fluent Python?

I don’t know that book but the abs(a-b) < tol part to find a distance in both answers is just math. You learned it when you learned about number lines :science:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Or if you just want to check it's close to all the values

Python code:
all(abs(a-b) < tol for b in query)
uses a generator expression instead of building a list so all can quit early when it hits a false value, without having to calculate all the remaining values. Might be more efficient if your query results are long (or you're doing a lot of this)

(In case you don't know generator expressions are like list expressions but inside ( ) instead of [ ], but because it's already the only thing in all's parentheses you can skip them)