Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Give me a remaster with better drop rates for item materials, weapon stories added back in, some Yorha costumes, and I'll buy it on day 1.

Did anyone else go for a white moonflower legit? That's one of the reasons the game took me so long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

I honestly don't want a sequel to Automata. If the series must continue, I'd still like Automata to be the chronological ending. But man, a Nier 1 remake by Platinum would be the sickest poo poo.

Automata isn't even the end of the timeline by its own lore. The Emil Head weapon story ends well after the regular endings.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Make a game that covers the events during the five-year time skip in NieR.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think any kind of sequel to Automata should be like insanely far in the future, set on the world that the machines colonize.

They end up creating a robot dragon and the whole thing restarts :yokotaro:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think any kind of sequel to Automata should be like insanely far in the future, set on the world that the machines colonize.

They end up creating a robot dragon and the whole thing restarts :yokotaro:

Do not taunt the Watchers.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Night side of the world or bust!!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Ainsley McTree posted:

“poo poo hog? Oh come now, that’s not even a word”

I’d pay far too much money for a nier remaster. Hopefully they realize there’s free money in it after automata

When the trifecta of strong points are the script, the voice acting and the music it really calls for a remaster for the sake of their conservation because those don’t have to be touched.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

new figure, no price or date announced yet

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
That's a figure alright.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now With Removable Skirt Action!

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Smirking_Serpent posted:

new figure, no price or date announced yet

I’m taking donations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So what do you all think of Father NieR?

Ever since I played the game I have tried to argue he was a hero who was justied in most of what he did. Lots of people disagree and I started to think beyond the details of the story since there was an obvious disconnect here. We all saw the same stuff but I'm weird and went off in a weird direction with my interpretation. I concluded it was the storytelling that got me all jumbled.

See, I love music. Music captures feelings better than words ever could. When I listen to Hills of Radiant Winds, I feel like a hero on a grand adventure. When I play The Dark Colossus Destroys All I feel like I am righteously smiting all in my path.

Of course this is all to create an illusion that will be torn down. But, the music is all the same. I still feel like a righteous hero. Having some extra words inserted doesn't rob me of that feeling, ya know?

I just don't think I can ever stop identifying with him and his desire to save his daughter no matter the cost.

drat I love this game.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

You're touching upon one of the central themes of the series ever since the original Drakengard: in each game Yoko Taro comes up with an answer for "why do people kill?". In Drakengard it was because killers must be insane. Then in NieR the answer was because people on each side have their own convictions, and kill because they truly believe their side is in the right. Good and evil are subjective in the world of NieR.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TalkLittle posted:

You're touching upon one of the central themes of the series ever since the original Drakengard: in each game Yoko Taro comes up with an answer for "why do people kill?". In Drakengard it was because killers must be insane. Then in NieR the answer was because people on each side have their own convictions, and kill because they truly believe their side is in the right. Good and evil are subjective in the world of NieR.

Anyone who in the space of a couple months or so who ends up with a body count in the tens of thousands would break if they weren't already broken and that was really the point.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Papa NieR is someone who I can get why he did what he did in the story. Yonah's his entire world, and he's based his entire worldview on that. On the other hand, I REALLY don't like how both Papa Niers never once question if they're in the wrong. Some of it is from Devola and Popola keeping things from him, but he doesn't really try and think of what he's been doing the entire game. Other characters know that what they're doing is messed up (Kaine, 2B, A2), while some have doubts and question what they're fighting for (Emil, 9S, Pascal). Papa NieR is a good person but he's got a black and white worldview, and that screwed over a really delicate situation and everyone involved.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Father Nier absolutely is the hero, but the compelling part is that Shadowlord is also the hero in literally the same way. If you identify with Nier's desire to save his daughter, then you must also identify with Shadowlord's same desire. So while Hills of Radiant Winds certainly does make Nier feel like the righteous protagonist (rightfully so), it is not for him that Ashes of Dreams plays at the end.

amigolupus posted:

On the other hand, I REALLY don't like how both Papa Niers never once question if they're in the wrong. Some of it is from Devola and Popola keeping things from him, but he doesn't really try and think of what he's been doing the entire game. Other characters know that what they're doing is messed up (Kaine, 2B, A2), while some have doubts and question what they're fighting for (Emil, 9S, Pascal). Papa NieR is a good person but he's got a black and white worldview, and that screwed over a really delicate situation and everyone involved.

I think this is appropriate for a couple reasons. One, if I were him (both Nier or Shadowlord), I would probably still do the same things for my daughter even if I were doing evil. I think that's a very human thing despite being immoral. Two, Nier is a reflection of the player in that video game players also tend to do the things video games tell them to do unquestioningly.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 7, 2018

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

amigolupus posted:

Papa NieR is someone who I can get why he did what he did in the story. Yonah's his entire world, and he's based his entire worldview on that. On the other hand, I REALLY don't like how both Papa Niers never once question if they're in the wrong. Some of it is from Devola and Popola keeping things from him, but he doesn't really try and think of what he's been doing the entire game. Other characters know that what they're doing is messed up (Kaine, 2B, A2), while some have doubts and question what they're fighting for (Emil, 9S, Pascal). Papa NieR is a good person but he's got a black and white worldview, and that screwed over a really delicate situation and everyone involved.

The ending of NieR 1 is powerful because Nier does visibly hesitate before the final kill. He's not insane, he's rational, and he understands that he might be wrong. He proceeds anyway because it's too late to stop. He needs closure, he's weak, he's exhausted, he cannot emotionally face the fact that he was wrong and became a mass murderer for no reason.

I love how the ending is done in that, given Nier's hesitation, the player hopes that maybe in one of the alternate endings, Nier makes a different decision. But he never does.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Anyone who in the space of a couple months or so who ends up with a body count in the tens of thousands would break if they weren't already broken and that was really the point.

I always find this way of phrasing the sentiment a little odd. Like, there's this arbitrary number, and once you hit that, hooboy, that's crazytown, but if you only kill eight hundred, you might be okay.

And beyond that, it feels very... early Taro, you know? That people who do bad things have to be bad themselves, that you can tell the crazy ones from everyone else, when the point of Nier is that perfectly normal people, nice guys with loving families, can do terrifying things when the circumstances are right, and then they sleep the sleep of the just after because they're sure that their actions were righteous.

People are complicated. For good and ill.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hikaki posted:

Father Nier absolutely is the hero, but the compelling part is that Shadowlord is also the hero in literally the same way. If you identify with Nier's desire to save his daughter, then you must also identify with Shadowlord's same desire. So while Hills of Radiant Winds certainly does make Nier feel like the righteous protagonist (rightfully so), it is not for him that Ashes of Dreams plays at the end.

I think this is appropriate for a couple reasons. One, if I were him (both Nier or Shadowlord), I would probably still do the same things for my daughter even if I were doing evil. I think that's a very human thing despite being immoral. Two, Nier is a reflection of the player in that video game players also tend to do the things video games tell them to do unquestioningly.

I agree. That is another reason I have always supported Nier . If I had his power and more importantly his courage, I could see myself doing exactly what he did.

As for empathizing with both Niers, this is the one quote that stuck with me more than any other.
Nier to Shadowlorld"You want me to understand your sadness? You I think I'm going to sympathize with you? I swore to protect my daughter and my friends. If someone puts them in danger they must stand aside or be cut down!"

If there is no Good or Evil, you still have ro pick a side, don't you? I picked Nier's side because I am Nier. Arbitrary perhaps but in a relative world, everything would be somewhat arbitrary. It is like the Twins said, it just comes down to one person with one set of objectives against another person and their objectives.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Papa Nier definitely recognizes that he might not be the good guy. I forget all the specifics, but there are times when the reality of the situation becomes apparent to him, but he says things like "I can't think like that. I need to protect Yonah." He's not oblivious the whole way through; at some point he enters a willful denial. 2B and 9S do the same thing too but much sooner into the story since there's no language barrier with Machines like there is with Shades.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

best soundtrack of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxgJ_8AgQbo

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I think Popola's rant right before the end is a good description of Papa Nier's mentality by that point, too, just a little less manic.

"Stop? Stop? You want me to stop? You think I have the luxury to stop? You cut down my sister like an animal and you tell me to STOP!? No one STOPS!! It's way too late to STOP! No one... STOOOOOPS!!" He's been going for five years to rescue his daughter after she was kidnapped, and that after who knows how long of spending every waking moment working to afford medicine for her sickness. By the time he's done everything up to that point, he kinda has to keep going, to see everything through no matter the cost, especially if it means getting his daughter back.

It's much like how the player keeps playing past the point where things really start to fall apart and you lose all the people you've been with up to that point in the game. You've spent so much time and effort that you have to see it through to the end, and the rapid-fire poo poo that gets thrown at you once you get to the castle does not make it possible to slow down. No one can stop.

Games are such a loving good medium for storytelling. God I love Yoko Taro.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
So many people throughout the whole story are constantly telling Nier to never stop, either through words or actions. The one time he starts to falter slightly, Kaine decks him in the face and practically drags him forward.

Nier absolutely knows what he's doing is wrong, but he knows the least about the grander situation and everyone who does know more than him only encourages him to move forward.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

drat I love this game.

I'm glad you finally got around to trying it after like years of me pestering you about it. I remember you not being too into it at first.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

some guy on the bus posted:

I'm glad you finally got around to trying it after like years of me pestering you about it. I remember you not being too into it at first.

Hype is dangerous. I was kind aggressively nitpicking and impatiently grumbling "when does the game get brilliant?"

But when I got Ending D I knew this was something special. Years and many discussions about the game's ethics later, I think the whole thing was amazing and Father Nier might be my favorite JRPG protagonist.

So sorry for dragging my feet.

Although now I have ro play Automata when I can. Consensus seems to be it is even better than NieR and not just in terms of gameplay? I would be playing it on that narrative mode I was told about anyway so the story and characters have a fight ahead of them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Hype is dangerous. I was kind aggressively nitpicking and impatiently grumbling "when does the game get brilliant?"

But when I got Ending D I knew this was something special. Years and many discussions about the game's ethics later, I think the whole thing was amazing and Father Nier might be my favorite JRPG protagonist.

Although now I have ro play Automata when I can. Consensus seems to be it is even better than NieR and not just in terms of gameplay? I would be playing it on that narrative mode I was told about anyway so the story and characters have a fight ahead of them.

Better in gameplay, visuals, and side quests. About on par with everything else. And by that, I mean best of the best. What narrative mode?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

They're both very strong games. I'd say Automata still edges out NieR for me, though they're very different stories and have different themes that they explore. If you liked NieR you really should go for it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Better in gameplay and visuals. About on par with everything else. And by that, I mean best of the best. What narrative mode?

Maybe he is talking about easy mode with all of the auto chips being activated.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Game so good that a couple of weeks ago my brother and I got matching Emil tattoos to go along with our other terrible matching tattoos, this is mine after getting home and unwrapping it:

https://imgur.com/a/PHi3Ucc

NikkolasKing posted:

"Narrative mode" isn't a thing so I guess you mean Easy with the auto-chips installed? Means the game does all the attacking and dodging for you in combat while you just run the character around. You can still die if you really botch something but you pretty much have to try to kill yourself.

Kind of kills the 'gameplay' but you can toggle it on and off on the fly if you feel the urge which is good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Better in gameplay, visuals, and side quests. About on par with everything else. And by that, I mean best of the best. What narrative mode?

Back before it came out I was lamenting the nightmare of me trying to play it. I have seen LPs of Revengeance, I couldn't do that stuff if my life depended on it. Not only am I a so-so gamer, I am also legally blind. Expert timing and pinpoint reflexes are beyond me.

Then somebody told me there would be a mode where it will do fancy stuff for me so I can enjoy the story. I love a good challenge but mainly in turn-based RPGs.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 7, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah you can absolutely do that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Then somebody told me there would be a mode where it will do fancy stuff for me so I can enjoy the story. I love a good challenge but mainly in turn-based RPGs.

Yeah that's easy mode+auto chips, exactly what you want.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I just grabbed Nier Automata dlc free from PSN EU store.

It has to be an error but we'll see what happens when Sony finds out

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3C3C1D119440927 is the thing to search for, to save anyone else time.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Back before it came out I was lamenting the nightmare of me trying to play it. I have seen LPs of Revengeance, I couldn't do that stuff if my life depended on it. Not only am I a so-so gamer, I am also legally blind. Expert timing and pinpoint reflexes are beyond me.

Well you beat Nier, so normal mode in Nier Automata will be super easy. It doesn't have a good challenge. You don't need much expert timing and reflexes. It's really easy.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Thankfully Automata is a great disability friendly game. One of the best speedrunners of the game only plays with one hand because of a disability, and since the game allows full control customization he's able to play it how he wants (and do poo poo I can't do with two hands). As others have said you can just put the game on easy and put auto chips on and just let it go, but it's not a timing or reflex heavy game. Even the "perfect dodge" mechanic is super lenient on timing and you can just mash the dodge button and still trigger it repeatedly through multiple hits.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

halfcoordinated kicks rear end at a lot of games though, I don’t think that’s specific to any features in automata

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A friend of mine who wanted to see the story was still dying in easy so she's just watching me play instead. Oh well, I'd been looking for an excuse to replay anyways. It's odd since she managed to complete horizon. I guess ranged combat is just more her comfort zone.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

b_d posted:

halfcoordinated kicks rear end at a lot of games though, I don’t think that’s specific to any features in automata

You have to admit though, being able to individually tune automatic control for so many different aspects of the combat is a huge concession to accessibility.

Something other games should definitely steal if they're going to lift anything from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

NikkolasKing posted:

It is, and it doesn't help that the brilliance of these games is back-loaded. I went into Nier 2 only knowing that it was a Platinum game and it took a while to really impress. Especially without the benefit of tight Platinum gameplay, I could have seen myself dropping Nier 1 if I didn't know what was coming from playing 2 first.

For me the big wow moment in 2 was the first time you go to the Amusement Park and the music swells and the machines are on parade. That was when I realized that the game was something different. That's a decent ways into the game already. Someone else's moment might be even further in. I can understand someone giving up, especially after being hyped up on it.