Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

My old man never saw REMAIN INDOORS or 'are we the baddies' until last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

For people who would like to see a not-racist Morrissey, and are willing to accept him having let himself go in exchange, Stewart Lee’s most recent stand-up is now on iPlayer. Featuring Alan Moore!
You're a babe for telling me about this, I had no idea this show was going up on iPlayer of all places.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Taear posted:

Even though I must have watched it 26 years ago now Boris getting puddled is still a really vivid memory. And the quagmire.

It's strange what sticks with you.

The puddles and Charn gave me nightmares. I think Doris got puddled first? Poor Doris. And that caterpillar thing.

There was another far less horrifying show about a kestrel or eagle or similar. Sky Hunter I think? It was also far less interesting

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I thought Sky breaking their sport channels into dedicated ones would be good, but it turns out that you can pick and choose 3 from 7 channels for £18 a month or all 7 for £25 a month, so why bother? I know this screams first world problems, but any TV provider which allows me to fully customise a bundle of channels I want to watch (basically the free to air channels and their HD equivalents, all of the documentary/history channels and all of the sports channels) which I can switch on and off on month to month basis I will give up my non-existent children in sacrifice

Now TV is pretty good for watching stuff without a ridiculous contract. You can buy day or week passes for the sport, do stuff like get the movie channels for a month then drop them when you’re bored, and you can stream about 10 premium channels so you don’t pay for a load of useless sky poo poo. If you also got a decent freeview box that’d probably tick most of your boxes?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

SEX BURRITO posted:

Now TV is pretty good for watching stuff without a ridiculous contract. You can buy day or week passes for the sport, do stuff like get the movie channels for a month then drop them when you’re bored, and you can stream about 10 premium channels so you don’t pay for a load of useless sky poo poo. If you also got a decent freeview box that’d probably tick most of your boxes?

It's mad to me that anyone has sky. It's especially mad that anyone has sky when now tv is available. I got a deal, less than £100 for all the regular tv and all the movies for an entire year.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I guess they survive on the busy/lazy/old people who can't be bothered to get up a go. A shame.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

NOW TV is Sky, fwiw.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I thought Sky breaking their sport channels into dedicated ones would be good, but it turns out that you can pick and choose 3 from 7 channels for £18 a month or all 7 for £25 a month, so why bother? I know this screams first world problems, but any TV provider which allows me to fully customise a bundle of channels I want to watch (basically the free to air channels and their HD equivalents, all of the documentary/history channels and all of the sports channels) which I can switch on and off on month to month basis I will give up my non-existent children in sacrifice

That's not right. It's £18 for one channel. It's £28 for all of them or £20 if you're willing to go into a contract for it.

Padje posted:

It's mad to me that anyone has sky. It's especially mad that anyone has sky when now tv is available. I got a deal, less than £100 for all the regular tv and all the movies for an entire year.

People are colossally stupid and using NowTV is going to be really really hard for a lot of people. Maybe even the majority. I'm sure this is going to change as time goes on but people born in 1970 or earlier are still mega unfamiliar with how their TV works and how internet works and etc.
There's a significant amount of people who don't even know how to change the input/source on their TV.

I'd definitely recommend getting Now TV for anyone who can actually work their TV and yea, they're Sky. Although they're Sky in the same way as like KFC is Pizza Hut if you get what I mean.

Prime only has 10...or 12? matches. Not very many. Not enough to really make it worth it unless you absolutely love a particular team and don't want to go to the pub to watch that specific match, I guess. BT Sport so far feels like a bit of a failure since they're losing UFC and a bunch of their premier matches. I guess if you love MOTOGP they're still worth it.

(I work for Sky in case you didn't know)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

my parents got NTL (as it then was) back when they dug the first cables. 30 odd years of inertia has finally been broken & they've cancelled.
Virgin's subscriber numbers have got to make some interesting reading this month

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cerv posted:

my parents got NTL (as it then was) back when they dug the first cables. 30 odd years of inertia has finally been broken & they've cancelled.
Virgin's subscriber numbers have got to make some interesting reading this month

It's interesting to see the affect that losing UKTV will have. Dave is one of the most watched channels on there but it still doesn't pull huge numbers - I do wonder how many people will be truly bothered?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

To watch 3pm matches, all I had to do was move 5,000 miles away. It’s funny how premier league coverage in the US is better than the UK, and it’s only a fairly basic cable channel too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

To watch 3pm matches, all I had to do was move 5,000 miles away. It’s funny how premier league coverage in the US is better than the UK, and it’s only a fairly basic cable channel too.

Well it's not that surprising. It's a huge market here so it costs loads of money whereas most people in the US don't give a poo poo so it's cheap and easy to get.
The same applies here to NFL, or it did until pretty recently.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I still use gamepass to watch the Eagles as they’re out of market here so getting the games isn’t guaranteed. And obviously that’s why coverage is cheaper, but still amusing to be able to watch a ton of games that nobody back home has (official) access to due to blackout rules.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sky wrote to me to say they were extending all my offers this month, I’m trying to figure if that had anything to do with everything. Or if it’s because I was coming to the end of some of them and had already called a few months back to see about cancelling earlier.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

Sky wrote to me to say they were extending all my offers this month, I’m trying to figure if that had anything to do with everything. Or if it’s because I was coming to the end of some of them and had already called a few months back to see about cancelling earlier.

It's to reduce the volume of people calling in.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Virgin should be relieved they didn't lose ITV2 during Love Island season.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Taear posted:

It's to reduce the volume of people calling in.

To concentrate on signing up new customers? That would make sense.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So I have no understanding of this recent Virgin controversy. I use Virgin for the Fibre and rarely watch broadcast tv. What is UKTV and what have I lost?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ineptmule posted:

So I have no understanding of this recent Virgin controversy. I use Virgin for the Fibre and rarely watch broadcast tv. What is UKTV and what have I lost?

24-7 Top Gear repeats.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Hooray, Evans is on holiday and R2 is bearable

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

ineptmule posted:

A collection of about 9 (?) TV channels covering various different genres. Virgin has replaced them with an absolute shower of shite.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Guy Martin in Chernobyl was really interesting. It’s somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit, and there were some amazing details about how it’s going back to nature. Plus stray dogs and Ukrainian babushkas. What’s not to like?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Taear posted:

The same applies here to NFL, or it did until pretty recently.

Yeah, depending on random whims, I can catch LSU in NCAA college football games on one of the high up BT/ESPNchannels live. It’s pretty awesome.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Dead Goon posted:

A collection of about 9 (?) TV channels covering various different genres. Virgin has replaced them with an absolute shower of shite.

Shower of shite sounds bad but I probably never watched the ones that have gone. I’m happy with my fibre so I’ll not waste my time trying to cancel anything.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

They did have Taskmaster on them though which is one of the better things on telly in recent years. Mind you I wouldn't sign up for Virgin TV anyway out of sourness for their lovely broadband practices.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Angrymog posted:

Hooray, Evans is on holiday and R2 is bearable

At least Sara Cox actually sounds like she genuinely enjoys what she does, as well as always seemingly one button push away from taking the entire station offline

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

ineptmule posted:

Shower of shite sounds bad but I probably never watched the ones that have gone. I’m happy with my fibre so I’ll not waste my time trying to cancel anything.

Fibre speeds have been great from them since I signed up so can't complain, I did used to watch a few of the channels they have pulled so feeling slightly salty.

If they'd just replaced like for like...

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm just mad because they absolutely oversubscribed the poo poo out of their internet service in Southampton a few years ago and the internet literally did not work for anyone in the city with them for a year or more. And they wouldn't let anyone cancel their loving contracts either.

e: gently caress them and their tv service too

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that sucks, I had them for years and always found their service to be pretty reliable and my speeds were excellent.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I have Virgin cable internet and Sky telly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They were only having a laugh.

Uncle Nugget lives on.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Red Oktober posted:

To concentrate on signing up new customers? That would make sense.

What, no.
Because it costs the company money if you ring. If they can avoid that (regardless of what you want) then all the better. If you're calling just because you have a 25% discount and want that again then why not just let you have it?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Barry Chuckle has died :(

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Matinee posted:

Barry Chuckle has died :(

Oh dear oh dear

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Bogmonster posted:

Oh dear oh dear

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

To me

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It's fine. There are still 3 of them left.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was he the EDL one or was that the other one?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Nah, he was the EDL one. That was a milkshake duck moment for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
At least he got a breaking news alert on BBC. That’s a pretty big honour.