Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yeah the Guild guys are posing as mere envoys but are in fact Navigators / high up in the Guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
:hmmyes:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
They might try to mutually ignore that they're all hopelessly addicted to a superdrug which cements their power over the plebs with its mind-expansion and life-extension properties.

Speaking of, do we ever even see anyone live a long time because of spice? Dudes like the Baron and Shaddam in Dune 1 are like, in their early 80s but they're all getting their accounts in order like they're about to keel over any year now. I'd say he put the live-extension in as an afterthought but it's mentioned too much for that.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Guildsmen do it specifically for space travel, but they know about the rest of it too. They are mainly concerned with monopoly. That's why no one sees a third stage nav (with eyes or second sight) until after Muad'Dib. The third stage in the movie was just put there to weird things up and reaffirm that yes, this is a space time pew pew laser movie.

In the later books, the Bene Gesserit say they can extend their lives much longer, but they choose not to for social balance. So you live to be 200 or so if you have a regular diet of spice. Part of the reason they got angry at the Honored Matres was that they flaunted that rule and used BG methods to live for several centuries.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

miles teg is over a century old in heretics iirc, and expects to live to be over 200

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

phasmid posted:

The Guildsmen do it specifically for space travel, but they know about the rest of it too. They are mainly concerned with monopoly. That's why no one sees a third stage nav (with eyes or second sight) until after Muad'Dib. The third stage in the movie was just put there to weird things up and reaffirm that yes, this is a space time pew pew laser movie.

In the later books, the Bene Gesserit say they can extend their lives much longer, but they choose not to for social balance. So you live to be 200 or so if you have a regular diet of spice. Part of the reason they got angry at the Honored Matres was that they flaunted that rule and used BG methods to live for several centuries.

Huh, I forgot how secretive they were about 3rd stagers. Possibly because i love Edric and how he's this megacorporate executive with mystical powers who literally lives in drugs 24/7, but then in the conspiracy meetings he's just this dweeb the others ridicule and remind that he's mostly just there to be a psychic signal jammer.

And in Messiah they mention how serious the Bene Gesserit about their "don't use your metabolic powers to stop your aging" rule. They've spent millennia carefully cultivating a persona of "mysterious witches with spooky powers, who are feared but respected. Becoming immortal too would push public resentment too high.

Alia/Harkonnen's ghost did it. and it's one example of why they had to go.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Huh, I forgot how secretive they were about 3rd stagers. Possibly because i love Edric and how he's this megacorporate executive with mystical powers who literally lives in drugs 24/7, but then in the conspiracy meetings he's just this dweeb the others ridicule and remind that he's mostly just there to be a psychic signal jammer.

And in Messiah they mention how serious the Bene Gesserit about their "don't use your metabolic powers to stop your aging" rule. They've spent millennia carefully cultivating a persona of "mysterious witches with spooky powers, who are feared but respected. Becoming immortal too would push public resentment too high.

Alia/Harkonnen's ghost did it. and it's one example of why they had to go.

Right you are. I totally forgot the part where Alia reveals herself to Jessica.

On that note, I differ from people in the thread who didn't like Jessica in three. She could help Farad'n but not her own children. And her grandkids didn't need her help much, really. I thought her story was pretty brutal and sad.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dune Wiki posted:

Frank Herbert got the name "Harkonnen" from the Finnish name "Härkönen", which he found in a California telephone book. He wanted a harsh-sounding name for the villains of his novel, and "Harkonnen" sounded "Soviet".

I don't see it, from either way of pronouncing it.

Or does it mean that "Harkonnen" sounds like a Russian name?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Either Frank Herbert was a dumbass or this info about Harkonnen sounding soviet to him is from "Dreamer of Dune", the Hugo award nominated biography of Frank Herbert, by his son @duneauthor

Edit: yes

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 31, 2018

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I thought I read somewhere that Harkonnen is a Finnish name or something.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Yes certainly a man as meticulous as Frank who grew up during WWII wouldn’t see anything weird with calling a Finnish name Soviet.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I guess that explains why @duneauthor describes Baron Harkonnen as being a literal descendant of Stalin in the Harkonnen standalone novel

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Communist Walrus posted:

I guess that explains why @duneauthor describes Baron Harkonnen as being a literal descendant of Stalin in the Harkonnen standalone novel

What the gently caress

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Yes certainly a man as meticulous as Frank who grew up during WWII wouldn’t see anything weird with calling a Finnish name Soviet.

I mean, in that very war, the Soviet Union invaded and annexed a chunk of Finland, namely eastern Karelia. Soviet Finns were an actual thing.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Yeah but I bet they weren’t thrilled about it

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ol' baron's name was Vladimir and that should be plenty to assuage the red scare enthusiasts among your readers. But treating the Harkonnen name as anything close to soviet/communist is just silly. It's like saying that "Von Braun" has that American dream tinge to it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
nooo Brian don't do it
https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1024149405157314560?s=09

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Communist Walrus posted:

GODDAMMIT QUIT CALLING HIM THAT

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
10000 years in the future or whatever, Bene Jesuit/ Lazarus Long breeding program or not, everyone must be a decedent of Stalin if anyone is

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
It's like, 20,000 years in the future. Literally everyone would be descended from anyone living today, provided they have grandchildren etc.

Only 5000 years pass between Dune and Heretics of Dune, and like, basically every main character is an Atreides descendent with the requisite strong facial features and Jessica-esque Dick Sucking Lips. And a lot of those are descendants of Siona, which is only in the past 1500 years.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 31, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I fear these more than any Trump message.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Get your own loving ideas you pair of goddammed hack frauds. Stop riding on other people's coattails. God I hate you both.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s about gholas living as single people in nineties New York, mostly hanging around Leto’s apartment.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It’s about gholas living as single people in nineties New York, mostly hanging around Leto’s apartment.

Last Days of Dune or Arrakeen Psycho?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Last Days of Dune or Arrakeen Psycho?

Nice, but I was thinking more like “what’s the deal with heighliner food?”

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Is anyone here an imperial ecologist!?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

You're still in sietch at ten and jihad began at eight
You've split the water of life, so far things are going great
Reverend mother warned you there'd be days like these
But she didn't tell you when you brought the galaxy down to your knees that

The tribe'll be there for you

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

Bene Jesuit

wwwwwwait is this what that's supposed to be?? :aaa:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wwwwwwait is this what that's supposed to be?? :aaa:

Could be. A lot of Dune words are just meant to be real-word-adjacent to evoke things. Zensunni, etc (I guess the Vajrayanashiites just didn't make it)

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

tight aspirations posted:

You're still in sietch at ten and jihad began at eight
You've split the water of life, so far things are going great
Reverend mother warned you there'd be days like these
But she didn't tell you when you brought the galaxy down to your knees that

The tribe'll be there for you

Fatima: What does Jamis actually do?
Sheena: He’s a - a... j-jihadster!
Fatima: That’s not even a word! *unsheathes crysknife*

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Lol is Brian Herberts Twitter handle really @DuneAuthor? I hope somebody rides on his dumb rear end for that every time he posts, what a loving tool

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Lol is Brian Herberts Twitter handle really @DuneAuthor? I hope somebody rides on his dumb rear end for that every time he posts, what a loving tool

It is

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zeniel posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Harkonnen is a Finnish name or something.

Sort of. Härkönen (pronounced Haerkoenen) is a semi-common surname here.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

And it more or less historically means "Ox-owner", as in a farm-owner who had enough money to afford an ox.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Der Kyhe posted:

And it more or less historically means "Ox-owner", as in a farm-owner who had enough money to afford an ox.

Destination Void confirmed Dune prequel

That book is intensely Bad Herbert

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So, what? Now they're gonna try to ruin those books? If their aim is to ruin Alpha Centauri, Sid Meier already beat them to it.

e. Unless you're saying that they're trying to tie those books in with Dune or something. Either way, I liked parts of them. I think they were all co-authored with Bill Ransom, but they feel pretty distinctly Herbertian.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

General Battuta posted:

Destination Void confirmed Dune prequel

That book is intensely Bad Herbert

I think you mean good

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The joke is that the supercomputer in that book is the Ox.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I wondered why in the Westwood games a horned beast was the Harkonnen seal. I thought it was a bull, in reference to the one that killed Leto I. But maybe it was an ox?

A communist Finnish ox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Oh, finally ran out of your father's "notes" eh?