Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
well good luck with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Had a $3 VUDU credit so I purchased Season 4. Hoping that Disney releases original aspect ratio blus at some point because the formatting is sperging me out man.

Did they DNR these episodes? poo poo looks weeeeeird

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 29, 2018

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

FilthyImp posted:

Had a $3 VUDU credit so I purchased Season 4. Hoping that Disney releases original aspect ratio blus at some point because the formatting is sperging me out man.

Did they DNR these episodes? poo poo looks weeeeeird

Buy the DVDs. The commentaries are good

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Simpsons DVD commentaries are top tier. lots of good behind-the-scenes info. I put the commentaries on and pretend I have friends with whom I'm watching and discussing the show.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't some of the episodes on the DVDs have audio tracks from non-French, non-Spanish foreign dubs as extras?

I was really interested in the Japanese one just due to anime and was curious how they'd play out the dialogue of an extremely American cartoon.

I don't know if this is legit, but they managed to get Japanese voice actors who sound a bit like Seymour and Chalmers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOwMYxYsPig

Man, I guess if you're looking for something to spice up classic Simpsons, the dubs bring something new to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEudK9_oL34

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 29, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You don't need the DVDs. You can watch all the commentaries on http://www.simpsonsworld.com/

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

PostNouveau posted:

You don't need the DVDs. You can watch all the commentaries on http://www.simpsonsworld.com/

Thank you for your interest in FX Networks.
The content you are trying to access is not available in your region.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

With regards to talk of a major VA dying ending the show.

Disney is going to be getting control of The Simpsons in 2019 and, mark my words, the show will die by their hand. The question is if its the result of another pay dispute.

Fans will blame the SJWs just like Star Wars

They'll make another billion dollars too

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

As much as I want the show to end I hope it could at least end on a somewhat high note. Like maybe with another movie with Hank Scorpio or something with the best writers returning.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

SeANMcBAY posted:

As much as I want the show to end I hope it could at least end on a somewhat high note. Like maybe with another movie with Hank Scorpio or something with the best writers returning.

The showrunners have gone on record saying they don't want to make another movie until the show is off the air and it's been given a rest.

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

The DVD commentaries are definitely worth it for all of the inside baseball about how the show is made and whatnot, but the best thing about them is the slow unraveling of how peculiar of a person John Swartzwelder is.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stato-Masochist posted:

The DVD commentaries are definitely worth it for all of the inside baseball about how the show is made and whatnot, but the best thing about them is the slow unraveling of how peculiar of a person John Swartzwelder is.

Mike Reiss was interviewed by Chapo Trap House a few weeks ago and the anecdotes he dropped about Swartzwelder were loving hilarious. I see why they kept slipping him into the show with cameos. I need to pick up some of his books.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know how Disney/Fox can end the Simpsons.

They could maybe go the route of doing the Simpsons as a series of shorts, again. The series is officially cancelled, but they stay in the public eye in the form of 0.5-5min shorts that appear through the week with other programming and/or their Hulu/Youtube channel.

I could see them doing a Springfield series spinoff to take weight off the main cast of characters to give themselves an out of, "Well, the Simpsons are a part of Springfield, too..." They can quietly cancel the Simpsons and the characters continue to make appearances down the road.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
there's lots of scenarios where they cancel the simpsons, it's very easy to envision:

1) one of the few tribes scrounging for food in the last few arable pieces of land in the american wastelands is insufficiently vigilant in purifying their water, and the elders succumb to cholera. they did not specify a lore-keeper before this calamity and so the long oral tradition of the tribal simpsons-speaker, an unbroken chain of voice actors dating back to before the cataclysm, is forever severed.

2) a flaw in the central machine of the self-aware disney entertainment system causes an unstable feedback loop in the neural circuitry that imprisons the cast and crew in their statis pods. while its system of thought is entirely alien to ours, this malfunction creates a pattern of behavior that is somewhat analogous to the human notion of mercy. in the brief seconds before the error-correction and redundancy systems restore the status quo, the DES permits the cast the ultimate freedom: the freedom to die.

3) the last gasp of a super-massive dying star releases a gamma ray burst that bathes our planet in purifying radiation and we, the simpsons included, are snuffed out like a match on a windy day.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

JediTalentAgent posted:

They could maybe go the route of doing the Simpsons as a series of shorts, again. The series is officially cancelled, but they stay in the public eye in the form of 0.5-5min shorts that appear through the week with other programming and/or their Hulu/Youtube channel.

I bet this will definitely happen.

As for a Springfield show, I have a hard time envisioning how that would be actually different from just doing the Simpsons in most respects. You still need most of the same voice actors and the side characters have all become so ridiculously 1-dimensional I don't know what you'd do with them in their current form that would be interesting.

15-20 years ago, though, I could definitely envision something like a show about the elementary school, though I'm content with the spinoff showcase episode.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
At the end of every video, a placeholder voice-over/animation of Bart Simpson going, "Like, subscribe and comment, dudes! Rate my shorts, man!"

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

SeANMcBAY posted:

Mike Reiss was interviewed by Chapo Trap House a few weeks ago and the anecdotes he dropped about Swartzwelder were loving hilarious. I see why they kept slipping him into the show with cameos. I need to pick up some of his books.

Yeah, I listened to that, and there were still stories that hadn’t come up in the commentaries haha (I only have seasons 3-8, so they didn’t come up on those commentaries at least). Definitely interested in reading some of his novels

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

JediTalentAgent posted:

I could see them doing a Springfield series spinoff to take weight off the main cast of characters to give themselves an out of, "Well, the Simpsons are a part of Springfield, too..." They can quietly cancel the Simpsons and the characters continue to make appearances down the road.

shorts could work, otherwise please give me 5-6 seasons of Chief Wiggum, PI

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

there's lots of scenarios where they cancel the simpsons, it's very easy to envision:

1) one of the few tribes scrounging for food in the last few arable pieces of land in the american wastelands is insufficiently vigilant in purifying their water, and the elders succumb to cholera. they did not specify a lore-keeper before this calamity and so the long oral tradition of the tribal simpsons-speaker, an unbroken chain of voice actors dating back to before the cataclysm, is forever severed.

2) a flaw in the central machine of the self-aware disney entertainment system causes an unstable feedback loop in the neural circuitry that imprisons the cast and crew in their statis pods. while its system of thought is entirely alien to ours, this malfunction creates a pattern of behavior that is somewhat analogous to the human notion of mercy. in the brief seconds before the error-correction and redundancy systems restore the status quo, the DES permits the cast the ultimate freedom: the freedom to die.

3) the last gasp of a super-massive dying star releases a gamma ray burst that bathes our planet in purifying radiation and we, the simpsons included, are snuffed out like a match on a windy day.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tree Goat posted:

post of the year imho

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Simpsons might just never end. It's not the longest running animated series. There's an anime called Sazae-San that seems to fill a similar niche to the Simpsons that has been running since 1969.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

They have enough voice clips from the main cast that soon they'll just digitally splice them together to make new episodes without actors.

Like this, but audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58IdBjMeS4

Simpsons will never die. Don't cry for it, it's already dead

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

lmfao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Mayde Flanders' death, op

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Improbable Lobster posted:

Mayde Flanders' death, op

Lowest point, not beginning of the end / point of no return

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Today I learned that they killed off Fat Tony, only to have him replaced by (his twin brother?) Fit Tony, who was rather slender. Who then, through the stress, gains weight and becomes Fat Tony.

How did they not. loving. learn?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

Lowest point, not beginning of the end / point of no return

Yeah, I consider the death of Maude Flanders to be when they jumped the shark.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Angelwolf posted:

Today I learned that they killed off Fat Tony, only to have him replaced by (his twin brother?) Fit Tony, who was rather slender. Who then, through the stress, gains weight and becomes Fat Tony.

How did they not. loving. learn?

I'm the biggest classic simpsons hipster on earth and yet I actually think this is kind of funny

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's lazy as gently caress

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Imagine if they did a King of the Hill crossover instead of that Family Guy one

Hank opens a new propane store in Springfield

Homer's BBQ runs out of propane but it's only made in Arlen for some reason

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Fried Watermelon posted:

Imagine if they did a King of the Hill crossover instead of that Family Guy one

Hank opens a new propane store in Springfield

Homer's BBQ runs out of propane but it's only made in Arlen for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTnzjC9PP0w

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

it's lazy as gently caress

That's the joke, it's basically the writers admitting "whatever, who cares at this point?"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Easy answer op: whatever the latest episode is

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

That's the joke, it's basically the writers admitting "whatever, who cares at this point?"

I mean honestly if you came in as a Simpsons writer in the year 2018, would you really think you'd be the guy to save the ship, or would you just kick up your feet and enjoy the buffet before the iceberg hits?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
do you think Al Jean actually thinks the simpsons is still good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I consider the death of Maude Flanders to be when they jumped the shark.

That episode aired 6,756 days ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

do you think Al Jean actually thinks the simpsons is still good

Him and the other old staff that’s still there probably think it’s as good as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Better, what with all the computers and all