Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i read in a newspaper article that, unlike winter weather, you never lose heat adaptation

when you are under five, your sweat gland density is set for life. if you don't grow up in hot weather, you never, ever get used to it

if you did grow up in the right conditions, those puppies are right there ready to go should you ever return to the heat

this sounds true to me because there are days here where im loving passing out from the heat (literally, i faint sometimes if i get too overheated, thanks spiro) and my coworkers are talking about what a nice day it is and they're gonna take their dogs for a run and work in the yard and I'm just like TAKE COVER IT'S 105 DEGREES JESUS CHRIST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Beamed posted:

we moved past that egg thing without a concise summary for the viewers at home and now i'm dying to know if i'm going to become the egg

As usual, the SAclopedia got ya covered: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2367

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

honestly that just leaves me more confused??? like where was the massive turnaround and then eggs and now??? ??????

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

don't kid yourself

:coal:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I've lived in more temp extremes than anyone itt fight me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I've lived in more temp extremes than anyone itt fight me

challenge accepted: home in florida, went to college in upstate new york, full range of temperature experienced throughout one year was something like -10F to 100F

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

theres deffo some fellow nerdo who has worked at mcmurdo

careful when entering the ring

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

challenge accepted: home in florida, went to college in upstate new york, full range of temperature experienced throughout one year was something like -10F to 100F

lol you are like baby

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Toronto all by itself experiences like 100F to -30F in an average year

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I opened the fridge during summer

oh man

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

please do not claim that you would walk around in sf proper with shorts and a tshirt when it's 50 degrees and windy. maybe you would do that once or twice to prove to the other 7th graders how tough you are, but you will be freezing ur dong off.

also don't drink the bag of melted gummy bears on your dashboard lest they recongeal in your throat and kill you a little bit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

Toronto all by itself experiences like 100F to -30F in an average year

this is the other thing. by people ask me "doesn't it get hot in wisconsin too?" and it's like, yeah but it's 95 degrees with 95 percent humidity so we all have AC and no one's loving dumb enough to go outside in that. our place here has no AC and we learned that the maximum number of portable units our awful wiring can support is 2. because our whole 2nd floor (ya know, with a bathroom and 3 bedrooms) is on a single circuit. mean while the living room, which has 2 outlets total, has a circuit per outlet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

who's the South Pole yosposser again?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i read in a newspaper article that, unlike winter weather, you never lose heat adaptation

when you are under five, your sweat gland density is set for life. if you don't grow up in hot weather, you never, ever get used to it

if you did grow up in the right conditions, those puppies are right there ready to go should you ever return to the heat

dunno about this. i grew up in maine and after one summer in shenzhen with a broken air conditioner i got used to it and now im the only one here i know who doesn’t use ac in the summer even when it’s 95 and 95% humidity. when i first moved here i felt like i was dying

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

this is the other thing. by people ask me "doesn't it get hot in wisconsin too?" and it's like, yeah but it's 95 degrees with 95 percent humidity so we all have AC and no one's loving dumb enough to go outside in that. our place here has no AC and we learned that the maximum number of portable units our awful wiring can support is 2. because our whole 2nd floor (ya know, with a bathroom and 3 bedrooms) is on a single circuit. mean while the living room, which has 2 outlets total, has a circuit per outlet.

plug 5 into your dryer socket

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

muckswirler posted:

please do not claim that you would walk around in sf proper with shorts and a tshirt when it's 50 degrees and windy. maybe you would do that once or twice to prove to the other 7th graders how tough you are, but you will be freezing ur dong off.

also don't drink the bag of melted gummy bears on your dashboard lest they recongeal in your throat and kill you a little bit

i absolutely do. i did all the pride marches in shorts and a tank top. and my dong was nice and warm stuck between my legs under 3 layers, thanks for your concern :)

one of my treasured memories is seeing the Brewers at Fenway Park back in 2014. We swept the Red Sox in their home opener and my wife and I got to work our way down to the front row for all the games because it was like 38 degrees after the sun goes down and apparently Boston people can't stick around for their team in that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it starting to hit 40 semi-regularly here in the summer, which really sucks

at least it's a dry heat

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hifi posted:

plug 5 into your dryer socket

lmao would this actually work? we line dry most of our poo poo anyway since it never loving rains. i know jack poo poo about electricity and i go into a coma when ppl start :words:ing about rings mains and whatever the gently caress itt

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jabor posted:

at least it's a dry heat

i have to assume you are in a country that uses centigrade

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

fishmech posted:

its pretty funny how places will be all "oh we don't need to get ac, it never gets hot here" as they have their 29th straight year of major heat waves each summer

ah yes the european approach to public planning

germany has been exceptionally bad at this. new trains with a supposed life of 20 to 30 years ahead of them come with acs that straight up fail in temperatures higher than upper 80s. old buildings cannot be replaced with new ones due to character and are expensively retrofitted with insulation, but nobody installs ac because you don't need it and also you can't. and on and on and on

we are currently in the third week of a heat wave and temperatures regularly reach beyond 95 F ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

we are currently in the third week of a heat wave and temperatures regularly reach beyond 95 F ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also it owns

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

just buy an 18 wheeler at that point

surely penis enhancement surgery is cheaper at that point

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lmao would this actually work? we line dry most of our poo poo anyway since it never loving rains. i know jack poo poo about electricity and i go into a coma when ppl start :words:ing about rings mains and whatever the gently caress itt

this is definitely the worst idea in the world and the diy forum cops are probably en route but the hot legs on the 240v outlet are 120v referenced to the neutral

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

i absolutely do. i did all the pride marches in shorts and a tank top.

not fair. the heat of all that musky meat acts as a barrier and palliative to the chilly fog.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jabor posted:

at least it's a dry heat

join the evaporative cooler club

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

muckswirler posted:

not fair. the heat of all that musky meat acts as a barrier and palliative to the chilly fog.

Lol, I didn't go to corporate pride. Just the trans March and dyke March.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol
Work training in Phoenix in July for a week, 120 degrees.
Work assignment in Fairbanks AK in February, -40 degrees.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

guillotine

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I was gonna ask "what if I went to public high school but a private college?" except then I zoomed in on the image and realized this is some UK next level classism poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol I thought it was for homeschooled freaks

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

toff is uk slang for the aristocratic class

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mrmcd posted:

I was gonna ask "what if I went to public high school but a private college?" except then I zoomed in on the image and realized this is some UK next level classism poo poo.

Tokamak posted:

toff is uk slang for the aristocratic class

lol. this is far worse than i initially thought.

toffee more like offee (with their heads)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
reminder that body fat has a role in keeping you warm in colder weather. the less you have, the more susceptible you’ll be. someone who has 10% bodyfat is going to be freezing in weather someone at 20% would be more comfortable.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i have 7% body fat :smugdog:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a very fat skeleton then

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm fat & sassy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

i have 7% body fat :smugdog:

read that at 75% at first, kept scrolling.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have a low body fat percentage but a high bone percentage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

muckswirler posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

I have a low body fat percentage but a high bone percentage

you may be susceptible to Boneitis in later life