Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I started playing simple and it such a better experience. If you are burning out because magic super powers are ruining your tennis experience, it is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I started playing simple and it such a better experience. If you are burning out because magic super powers are ruining your tennis experience, it is right there.

I've been doing this. You gotta wait longer between games though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve been enjoying simple too but I’m jumping back into standard after that patch drops.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I personally hate simple, because I went into the game expecting and hoping for magical super power tennis bullshit and got what I wanted.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Simple mode still has Waluigi and people who exploit Boo's teleporting lunge shot animations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Boo's lunge is actually hot trash, since it causes him to have no reach otherwise, which means a lot of broken form returns, which are extremely easy to punish.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ZeButler posted:

Boo's lunge is actually hot trash, since it causes him to have no reach otherwise, which means a lot of broken form returns, which are extremely easy to punish.

You can cancel the animation with L and normal shot it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/switchscreens15/status/1014041833385615360?s=19

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, oh my.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Welcome to Mario Tennis Aces, enjoy your stay.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You see, in the game mode I play, Boo is trash.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Patch is up.

Have only screwed around for a few minutes so far (obviously) but trick shots feel noticeably both harder to nail and much narrower in range, so I'm a garbage player all over again :v:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh man that trick shot nerf is so good, well done Camelot

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This patch is very good. I’m not sure it fixed everything but it seems like it after getting a tournament win even facing people still playing Bowser Jr.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is there a way to play doubles with a friend against randoms online?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Is there a way to play doubles with a friend against randoms online?

Not easily no! You have to create a doubles lobby and hope he can get in before it fills with randoms. Then the teams are randomly assigned every match! :yeah:

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Wario is the fuckin best

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

RCarr posted:

Not easily no! You have to create a doubles lobby and hope he can get in before it fills with randoms. Then the teams are randomly assigned every match! :yeah:

Unless your friend is local, then it's very easy, you just make a lobby and then play tennis against other people online. There's no matchmaking at all though

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
It's a bit strange that they give you like 10 seconds to cancel a tournament match once you see the player and their character. Couldn't you just bail every time you see you are up against a strong character?

On a related note, gently caress you Waluigi! (Editor's note: I also play as Waluigi)

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Deltron 3030 posted:

It's a bit strange that they give you like 10 seconds to cancel a tournament match once you see the player and their character. Couldn't you just bail every time you see you are up against a strong character?

On a related note, gently caress you Waluigi! (Editor's note: I also play as Waluigi)

This happens to me all the time and I play Bowser. It's frustrating.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Deltron 3030 posted:

It’s great cuz 1) you can bail when you see how bad connection is and 2) you could bail on B Jr when he was super OP and obnoxious

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Just played the currently ranked #2 Standard player in the world (DevilWolf) and I don't think I've ever been so badly beaten at anything ever

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

saltyslug posted:

Just played the currently ranked #2 Standard player in the world (DevilWolf) and I don't think I've ever been so badly beaten at anything ever

Yeah I cracked the top 400 US ranking recently, around high 2900s rating, so I think I’ve been doing pretty good. Then I match with the world #3.... it was like playing a totally different game. I managed one point at least but yikes...

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Cool game but why is the tagline for this thread so terrible?

Mario Tennis Aces: Too Early!

Mario Tennis Aces: Ow, my thumbs!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Deltron 3030 posted:

Hell yeah

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mario Drop Shot Aces

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Alright, so what's the secret to beating the final boss, Luigi? I can only get a few points. His zone shots are ridiculous, and he blocks most of mine. What am I missing? :suicide:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Deltron 3030 posted:

Request for mods to change the title to this

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
It appears my rating is in a terrible spot where it’s just high enough to match with people significantly higher than me. Just went 1-7 only making it out of the starting round once and yet gaining 7 rating points. I know I need to play better players to improve but it sure would be nice to win a few games along the way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

eightysixed posted:

Alright, so what's the secret to beating the final boss, Luigi? I can only get a few points. His zone shots are ridiculous, and he blocks most of mine. What am I missing? :suicide:

Learn to block his zone shots and redirect them to the side of the court he is not on. It is a guaranteed point from my experience, but only if you get a successful block.

Save your meter for Zone Time, then bait him to use a zone shot on one end of the court, and when he does his Zone Shot hit the ball when you are in the glowing area surrounding the ball.

Although it's hosed up they take away your option to tap into the Satsui no Hado by giving him an unbreakable racket. That was my winning strategy up to that point.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Request for mods to change the title to this

Mario Tennis Aces: Deltron 3030 posted:
Cool game but why is the tagline for this thread so terrible? Mario Tennis Aces: Too Early!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
After a bad losing streak, I decided to try out Peach. Reeled off 3 wins and made it to the championship! For the championship I was paired with a toadette, but the player's name sounded familiar to me, I recalled him as being a pretty good player. I dodged them and went on to beat a Waluigi who was pretty good but kept wasting tons of energy chasing balls that were deep in his court for my 3rd tournament win of the season! Out of curiosity I went back and looked up the toadette I dodged.

It was TSC*Dragon - #2 player in the US. Sometimes it's good to be a coward!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Toadette is secretly good. Has a very strong underdog effect.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Anidav posted:

Toadette is secretly good. Has a very strong underdog effect.

Yeah she seems like she could be good in the hands of a skilled player. Great angles, but weak power. Only problem is that Peach is like a better Toadette overall so there’s not much reason to use her full time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

http://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/a...%81%84%E3%80%82

Big patch is dropping 8/1 and by using Google translate, it sounds like a lot of characters are getting buffs while Waluigi and Bowser Jr. are getting nerfed. They’re also making it so you can do quick retries in adventure mode and aren’t just kicked to the world map when you fail.

Camelot deserves a lot of credit for basically fixing just about every issue I had with the game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SeANMcBAY posted:

http://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/a...%81%84%E3%80%82

Big patch is dropping 8/1 and by using Google translate, it sounds like a lot of characters are getting buffs while Waluigi and Bowser Jr. are getting nerfed. They’re also making it so you can do quick retries in adventure mode and aren’t just kicked to the world map when you fail.

Camelot deserves a lot of credit for basically fixing just about every issue I had with the game.

Also looks like they added 6 game / 1 set matches but what about multiple sets????

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah they need Grand Slam rules, matches that last for hours. Add the rule about no fifth set tiebreak too

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

While I'm super pleased this is getting post-release support, the lack of a retry button in story mode at release is loving incomprehensible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat story mode without the retry button. It was hell. HELL!

Anyway, my glaring weakness is still drop shots and I got completely owned by a guy playing DK who mercilessly exploited said weakness. I held my own for a while but sometimes Waluigi doesn’t loving hit the ball when it’s that low to the ground unless I mash the button and that’s annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Update looks promising, but still no proper court selection menu? Choosing a specific court by process of elimination is extremely :what: