Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fsif posted:

Was his form better in college? I don’t understand how you can stick your neck out for a pick like that with what sounds like a pretty loving obvious and glaring flaw.

Not trying to be a dick here but your team just staked their next 3 years on a first round qb with rediculous flaws. Its the nfl. Optimisim from coaches springs eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

fsif posted:

Was his form better in college? I don’t understand how you can stick your neck out for a pick like that with what sounds like a pretty loving obvious and glaring flaw.

I hate to pile on but I forgot the context and genuinely thought you were talking about Josh Allen

e: ok I guess I should read all the posts before replying

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Was he really the "most accurate kicker ever" overall or do people just say that because he never missed an extra point? I'm too lazy to look it up but I seem to remember reading that he was actually only average or even below average at best on kicks at 40+, which just seems dumb to ignore and why it was such an extra dumb pick. I could be wrong.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not nearly the important thing about this picture but why is this mirrored?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Phyein posted:

Was he really the "most accurate kicker ever" overall or do people just say that because he never missed an extra point? I'm too lazy to look it up but I seem to remember reading that he was actually only average or even below average at best on kicks at 40+, which just seems dumb to ignore and why it was such an extra dumb pick. I could be wrong.

88.5% overall for his career, which is pretty good and I guess wouldn't surprise me if it was the best? But yeah his thing was supposed to be that he was perfect inside 40 and it was understood that farther out he wasn't as good. I don't know if the thought was he was just going to get stronger or what.

But it's not like people weren't immediately making fun of that pick the second it happened. It's just that it managed to both be a terrible idea in the first place and then he cratered harder than anyone imagined he would.

e: looks like third best by percentage since 1956 according to sports reference.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I still cant believe the bucs felt the need to trade up for a kicker in the 2nd round

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Phyein posted:

He was good enough stats wise to be drafted. Not in the 2nd round though.

Iirc there were some concerns about his mechanics even coming out but no one gave a poo poo enough about kickers in the media for it to get any kind of attention.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fsif posted:

where he was drafted was indefensible even without hindsight but at the time it was more of "it's unorthodox and it's working" than "his mechanics are broken"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I still think he'd have been fine if he wasn't drafted so early.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

Kicking a field goal is easier in college.

Cockrell being loaded onto the stretcher. Of course there's Olsen, Davis, and Kuechly.

Here's a picture of the leg. It's honestly not that bad.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1024094771759833088

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the raiders are gonna be sooooooooooo loving bad and im so invested in watching this tragedy unfold

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's not necessarily bad in and of itself, some of the more fun college offenses are based on the veer which is from the 60s. For an NFL comparison Air Raid stuff is about the same age as what Gruden's showing and even though no one runs a true air raid some of the ideas are present in every offense. poo poo, he might be looking at exactly that.

Now why any player needs to watch that stuff I have no clue, there's plenty of film of any concept he might want to teach in high def hanging around now.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
God I wish Hard Knocks this season was following the Raiders

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1023997277243727874

START HIM

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
*fighting back tears*

THATS MY CORNERBACK

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/1024117723616423937

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sherman's become cool this year, glad to see it

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
We're taking The Shark on a road trip

https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/1024045347243483136

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
When does Hard Knocks air the first episode?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Looks like Aug 7 if the video directly above your post is to be believed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You want me to click on the video to find that out?! Outrageous.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bully

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Myles.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yikes

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Pylon

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1023244353488252928

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I mean, Trump and Brady do have a lot in common. For example, both men want to make out with their children.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Trash

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Mega64 posted:

I mean, Trump and Brady do have a lot in common. For example, both men want to make out with their children.

That's not true...Brady succeeded.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The crossword answer is DAWGS

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

andey

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

He was always cool.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1024262999215931392?s=21

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
gently caress yes.

sorry barr. hope you get paid, too.

e: https://twitter.com/goesslingstrib/status/1024266803453849600?s=21

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 31, 2018

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1024293814532489217

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Looks like almost the same contract Cooks got with 10m less in guarantees

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i guess there’s like $9m in funny money or something:

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1024294057420488705?s=21

Diggs is definitely getting paid more on ability than straightline production but his rep is legit. Most any DB out there will say Diggs is one of the toughest matchups in the league.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Really glad Diggs got paid. He deserves it. I hope he stays healthy this season with Captain Kirk throwing to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Sherman has always been cool. People were just mad that he wasn't on their team.

• Locked thread