Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

So be it, from this day forth behold Boomer.jpg:

Millennials may have gotten off easy with avocados.

I can just see the attorney in the background thinking to himself "I went to law school for this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Krispy Wafer posted:

My wifes Aunt and Uncle got EVERY one back in the day. Now they have boxes and boxes of worthless dumb little animals.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TraderStav posted:

My wifes Aunt and Uncle got EVERY one back in the day. Now they have boxes and boxes of worthless dumb little animals.

and the friends they made along the way.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Ixian posted:

That article and the cherry-picked survey behind it is some quality clickbait for pensioners. Love that the header image is of avocado toast too.

Ok I know this isn’t the first avocado toast mention ITT but is it some sort of luxurious Australian delicacy? I can get a bag of avocados from Aldi for like $2 and make many toasts.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For some reason there's a huge markup when you get it from a restaurant (like $20). Maybe because avocados have such a narrow window of freshness?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

howdoesishotweb posted:

Ok I know this isn’t the first avocado toast mention ITT but is it some sort of luxurious Australian delicacy? I can get a bag of avocados from Aldi for like $2 and make many toasts.

It's not eating it at home, it's spending $7 for avocado toast at a bistro or coffee shop. Which is something everyone in this thread should involuntarily suffer a twitching eyelid about - except it was first referenced in an article about why Millennials can't afford to buy Boomer's overpriced homes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh I thought someone had posted this but I guess not!

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1023600915146788867

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

It became a meme because some dipshit out of touch guy worth hundreds of millions said he could buy his first house because he didn't waste his money on smashed avocados https://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/05/15/08/39/melbourne-property-tycoon-hammers-millennials-over-spending-habits

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

None toast with left avocado

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oof, that beanie baby divorce Pic makes me seriously sad and uncomfortable every time I see it.

Avocados are $4 a pop at upscale grocery stores, which is dangerously close to Lucille Bluth Banananomics

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm pretty sure someone just shat on that toast.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Honestly, that is way more avocado than I would have guessed they'd get. I'm surprised it isn't just a thin green sheen on the toast.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I haven't quite kept up with the thread titles, but this would have been a good post during Bad With Money: avocado_toast.txt

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Moneyball posted:

I haven't quite kept up with the thread titles, but this would have been a good post during Bad With Money: avocado_toast.txt

Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles › Bad With Money 2018: I paid $22 for Avocado Toast and got goose poo poo on grilled bread

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles › Bad With Money 2018: 401K full of Beanie Baby equity

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles › Bad With Money 2018: My most valuable Beanie Baby is an avocado green horse named Freckles.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Inept posted:

It became a meme because some dipshit out of touch guy worth hundreds of millions said he could buy his first house because he didn't waste his money on smashed avocados https://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/05/15/08/39/melbourne-property-tycoon-hammers-millennials-over-spending-habits

The great thing about this was that it birthed the Avocado Toast Index, which shows how small those "give up this small pleasure and save eleventy hundred dollars a year!" lectures actually are in the face of skyrocketing city home prices. Good financial habits are still important, but... it's not the toast or lattes (individually, at least).

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I was about to post that! The toast index is up there with the Big Mac index as my favorite indexes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What the gently caress does it mean to Seamless something.

I assume it's an app? Is there no end to people making every retarded app name into a verb?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

Is there no end to people making every retarded app name into a verb?

What’s the harm? Did you stub your toe?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Verbing weirds language

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Nail Rat posted:

What the gently caress does it mean to Seamless something.

I assume it's an app? Is there no end to people making every retarded app name into a verb?

Companies in the same space fighting for Google and Xerox status

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the harm? Did you stub your toe?

I'd never heard of Seamless before and they're apparently a pretty small player, having been absorbed by Grubhub years ago. By saying "I seamlessed this" I have to google what the gently caress that was, so she's giving free advertising to a service she's unhappy with. Seems pretty dumb to me, unless they actually are paying her and this is a viral stunt in which case GWM.

quote:

I understand why a company would aspire to it, but not why a supposed journalist would do that for free for a company that delivers...whatever the hell that is.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 31, 2018

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Krispy Wafer posted:

In a couple years maybe we can get an updated one with Funko Pops.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People namedrop a company on Twitter after a bad experience all the time. It's not to give them free advertising, it's to

1. Git Dat traffic from people following Seamless
2. Get free apology credit from Seamless

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I'd never heard of Seamless before and they're apparently a pretty small player, having been absorbed by Grubhub years ago. By saying "I seamlessed this" I have to google what the gently caress that was, so she's giving free advertising to a service she's unhappy with.

Obvious with context, unless you're old.......... you're not old are you?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

I wonder how that guy with the wife with the outrageously permissive "contract" is doing? Last I looked it seemed like his collecting hadn't curbed even a little.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

potatoducks posted:

Obvious with context, unless you're old.......... you're not old are you?

I assumed what it was, it's just dumb. She should have Vanguarded that $22 instead. Or maybe Chase Mobile Bankinged it.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 31, 2018

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm trying to remember what ridiculous Boomer trait could be used in place of an avocado in articles about their financial habits.
Late, but: A china hutch full of dishes and crystal that hasn't been eaten off of in 40 years, if ever.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

drat Bananas posted:

Late, but: A china hutch full of dishes and crystal that hasn't been eaten off of in 40 years, if ever.

Growing up we weren't allowed to ever go in the living room/dining room* because we would touch stuff and it would get dirty.

*We had a home with extra decorative rooms because my parents didn't eat avocado toast.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My parents: Make sure you don't put fine China on your registry because we have two sets of it from us and from your grandparents you can have

Ah yes yes, in that case I won't register for it

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I guess the Beyblade and Pokemon card markets tanked?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Nail Rat posted:

I'd never heard of Seamless before and they're apparently a pretty small player, having been absorbed by Grubhub years ago. By saying "I seamlessed this" I have to google what the gently caress that was, so she's giving free advertising to a service she's unhappy with. Seems pretty dumb to me, unless they actually are paying her and this is a viral stunt in which case GWM.

I understand why a company would aspire to it, but not why a supposed journalist would do that for free for a company that delivers...whatever the hell that is.

I think the popularity of these services varies a lot regionally. Seamless anecdotally is the most popular of those services in New York. Was talking with my sister recently who is in Ohio and all the restaurants she orders from use a different one that I've never heard of (and have forgotten the name of already).

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Grubhub and uber eats seem to be the equivalent here in the Cleveland/Akron area.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My parents: Make sure you don't put fine China on your registry because we have two sets of it from us and from your grandparents you can have

Ah yes yes, in that case I won't register for it

I also grew up in a house with fine china that nobody was allowed to touch or use. Who were these hypothetical fancy people that Boomers expected to drop by for dinner? The Pope? Did ANYONE use the fine china?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

I also grew up in a house with fine china that nobody was allowed to touch or use. Who were these hypothetical fancy people that Boomers expected to drop by for dinner? The Pope? Did ANYONE use the fine china?

We use ours pretty regularly. I never understood the point of having it as a display piece.

Not a boomer though, so yeah....

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
China was a thing a generation or two before Boomers, back before you could get decent house wears at any department store for cheap. You put your fancy plates on display to show off, even back then you didn't eat off them except maybe for special ocasions. Most Boomers had China passed to them or got it for no other reason that it was what you were supposed to do.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

This is my favorite avocado chart, anyway

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

GamingHyena posted:

Along those same lines, I can never get over my parents saying poo poo like "what will be neighbors think?" in regards to, well pretty much anything.

Ma, the guy next door is a burn out weed dealer (with pathetic wares no less) and the family across the street is constantly collectively drunk as poo poo, why do we suddenly care about their opinion?

Same with "people" instead of "neighbors." What people?? Who is scrutinizing us? No one gives a poo poo about anything.

I chalk it up to different times where your reputation on a local scale could have serious ramifications, I don't know. Some small town mentality maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gossip in small towns can get ridiculous, but it's all peddled and consumed by old ladies, so I don't know why anyone else gives a poo poo.