Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Azhais posted:

Yeah, but they're pretty small at 5 slots (so far, dunno if there's a bigger one)

They only have 5 slots but each slot is quadruple an exosuit slot. So stacks of 1000 minerals, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I spent some time last night looking for a home for my base (survival save) and I found a beautiful lush planet that looked like it wouldn't be constantly trying to roast, freeze or poison me. I landed in a lovely green area full of life and hopped out...

Run! RUN!!! Back to irradiated hellstorms I suppose :(

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

GruntyThrst posted:

They only have 5 slots but each slot is quadruple an exosuit slot. So stacks of 1000 minerals, for example.

And you can send stuff to them from anywhere in the same system

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Anyone run into random people lately? I met one rando on the first day who started shooting at me and I had no weapon so I quit. Then I played for a bit with network play off. I turned it back on and uploaded my base, but I haven't run into anyone else since.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SubNat posted:

By the way, do generic 'Hazard protection' modules exist?
Aside from the one the suit has built in, as well as the one you get as a blueprint ( Shield Lattice, +20% Hazard Battery.), I don't think I've seen a single one at vendors.

I know of the extra shield ones, the ones that specifically add a buffer that you can recharge. But I'd rather have a larger primary hazard defence, than specific shields that only work against one type of hazard, and clutter up the recharge menu.

I’ve seen modules for Heat, Cold, Radiation, etc resistance, but nothing that resists all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaa Boogie posted:

And you can send stuff to them from anywhere in the same system

It's more complicated and weird than that. There are 10 storage containers you unlock as part of the basebuilding quest, numbered 0 to 9, so that's 50 additional stacks of 1000. You can build 1 of each per base and copies of each container in different bases share inventories. You can send stuff to storage containers from anywhere in the universe but you don't pick which one it goes to, it fills up the lowest numbers first and then moves on to higher (so when you go to retrieve it you may have to check several containers before you find it). You can only get stuff out of a container by going to the (well, a) base it's in and using it. You can use this to get stuff out of your freighter without having to land there because the freighter can send directly to the container even though it can't send directly to your suit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

xilni posted:

Always warp with your freighter basically, it’s awesome as long as you’re not falling through the world, even then be sure to get cool photos for us.

Freighters have a very short jump range. Get some hyperdrive upgrades on a ship, economy and conflict scanners, and have the luxury of warping 600+ ly searching for the perfect system. Only end up using like 10% warp fuel per jump with good modules and you can just summon the freighter to you when you find a home.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

haveblue posted:

It's more complicated and weird than that. There are 10 storage containers you unlock as part of the basebuilding quest, numbered 0 to 9, so that's 50 additional stacks of 1000. You can build 1 of each per base and copies of each container in different bases share inventories. You can send stuff to storage containers from anywhere in the universe but you don't pick which one it goes to, it fills up the lowest numbers first and then moves on to higher (so when you go to retrieve it you may have to check several containers before you find it). You can only get stuff out of a container by going to the (well, a) base it's in and using it. You can use this to get stuff out of your freighter without having to land there because the freighter can send directly to the container even though it can't send directly to your suit.

So when they said one of each at a base they meant you could have multiple copies of 0-9 at every base and your frigate?

That's... that's WAY better than what I was thinking!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaa Boogie posted:

So when they said one of each at a base they meant you could have multiple copies of 0-9 at every base and your frigate?

That's... that's WAY better than what I was thinking!

You can build 1 each of containers 0-9, so 10 containers per base and they all have to be unique numbers. At another base you get another set of 0-9 but they're identical to the ones in the first base. 10 containers is the total extra inventory you can build per save slot and you can access them from any base where they're built.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

haveblue posted:

You can build 1 each of containers 0-9, so 10 containers per base and they all have to be unique numbers. At another base you get another set of 0-9 but they're identical to the ones in the first base. 10 containers is the total extra inventory you can build per save slot and you can access them from any base where they're built.

are containers 0-9 unique recipes?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

haveblue posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant by multiple copies. That you can have a set at every base.

I am good with that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

IcePhoenix posted:

are containers 0-9 unique recipes?

Yes, and you get the blueprint for container 0 at an earlier quest step than containers 1-9, so you'll only have the one for a while.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Just found out combat frigates not on expedition will jump in to help when pirates attack.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Powershift posted:

Nothing behind V3 doors but some boxes with concentrated carbon and ammo.

But.. that is what V1 passes already get you! :psyduck:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just wanted to address this - I don't know if there's eventually a limit, but I've been able to choose from any of the 30-something systems I've visited. It only displays 4 or 5 at a time but you can cycle through the list with the shoulder buttons (or whatever the keyboard equivalent is).

Oh thank god.

haveblue posted:

Oh god dammit. I thought I could literally only have one of each.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I crafted the V2 pass and all yo get is access to a 2nd room in operation centers and inside them are basically little farms you can harvest for some materials you probably already have a ton of. Kinda disappointing.

beats
Oct 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

I'm starting to think this game was actually designed by aliens.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

How to find your 24-slot S-rank Multitool :

* Install an economy scanner in your ship and unlock and build a save point (carry this with you).

* Find and warp to a rich star system (last word of the economy report should be something like wealthy, oppulent, booming, etc). These have higher chance of selling an S-rank multitool. As an added bonus, they also have a higher volume of ships, which equates to a higher chance you'll find an exotic ship while you're working on the tool.

* Visit the space station and check the multitool shop display. This is important: The class ranking of the tool displayed here will never change. If it's an A-class tool, it will always be an A-class tool. Keep warping until you find an S-class display. Don't forget to buy exosuit upgrades from each station!

* Once you find the S-class display case, we're going to use a trick to reroll the contents of it. Fly to one of the planets and land. Place the save point on the ground and use it. Wait a second for the save to register, then go into the menu and reload the last manual save (the one you just made).

* Fly back to the station and check the display again. If you don't like the results (it isn't 24-slot, you don't like the color or model, or you'd rather try for an experimental or alien tool), fly to a different planet and repeat. You can do this once for each planet and moon in the system.

The reason this works is that every planet has a multitool associated with it, that you can buy from one of the buildings on that planet. However, some planets don't have that building. Each system also has a multitool, which is for sale on the space station. The station tool is determined when you warp to the system, but if you load a game and never warp, the station just sells the last planetary tool it loaded up instead. For some reason, it's the display case that determines the rank and stats of a tool, but the planet determines the model, color, installed tech, and number of slots.

Good poo poo, but at the same time I feel like I will almost never have the will and motivation to actually go through with this.

Someone mentioned flying backward and shooting for ship combat. How do you fly backwards?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can sometimes hover in my ship, and sometimes not. I wish I knew why.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Azhais posted:

Freighters have a very short jump range. Get some hyperdrive upgrades on a ship, economy and conflict scanners, and have the luxury of warping 600+ ly searching for the perfect system. Only end up using like 10% warp fuel per jump with good modules and you can just summon the freighter to you when you find a home.

Did not know this. How much does ship type matter for this? I found a 48 slot A class hauler I’m worried I won’t be finding anything this nice for a while.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xilni posted:

Did not know this. How much does ship type matter for this? I found a 48 slot A class hauler I’m worried I won’t be finding anything this nice for a while.

How much was it because I want something like that so bad right now and need a goal that isn't just "get money" or "improve stuff."

Also as an aside, do I ever learn how to make technology modules or microprocessors? If yes is it random or is there a specific path I can go down to get them faster?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Post-patch PS4- Frigates are still damaged, but only showing "0" damaged modules instead of "1" now, so I guess that's progress, maybe?

Attempting to find distress signals is still bugged for me as well. It's forcing me to find the same abandoned building over and over, gives me the same message, then just some nanites. My guess is that I somehow skipped this earlier on in my save and got the blueprint elsewhere, and thus now it's stuck thinking I don't have it when I do. Pretty god drat frustrating.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

ToastyPotato posted:

Good poo poo, but at the same time I feel like I will almost never have the will and motivation to actually go through with this.

Someone mentioned flying backward and shooting for ship combat. How do you fly backwards?

In space if you hold brake (L2 on ps4) you will end up reversing. It's ok advice I guess but most of the reason it's good is so you can turn around faster to catch someone who just made a head to head pass on you and shoot them in the back.

Also this doesn't happen in atmosphere, you always have a minimum forward speed afaict

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wish space combat actually felt like space combat. I should be able to spin my ship and keep with momentum goddammit. Beyond that I would settle for ships not being able to cheat by loving shooting me without actually facing me.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

How much was it because I want something like that so bad right now and need a goal that isn't just "get money" or "improve stuff."

Also as an aside, do I ever learn how to make technology modules or microprocessors? If yes is it random or is there a specific path I can go down to get them faster?

It was around 110 mil if I remember correctly, remember to get your S rank scanner modules people

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IcePhoenix posted:

My 48 slot hauler cost me 112m

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Azhais posted:

There we go, I only had to hand over 108 with trade in value.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just picked up this game to play multiplayer with a friend, chose Survival mode because we want something more challenging than "a chill exploration experience", but both of our experiences have been: spawn in some toxic/flaming world, and either die from the environment not having any idea what to do about it, or get blown up by drones.

Is picking survival a stupid idea for a new player?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's basically the starting world experience

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Just picked up this game to play multiplayer with a friend, chose Survival mode because we want something more challenging than "a chill exploration experience", but both of our experiences have been: spawn in some toxic/flaming world, and either die from the environment not having any idea what to do about it, or get blown up by drones.

Is picking survival a stupid idea for a new player?

It's not worth picking in general considering much of the game is broken to the point that tons of things might kill you that shouldn't, and other stuff that would help you might not work.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

ToastyPotato posted:

I do this pretty consistently. If you start flying backwards before the pirates jump in, they will always appear directly in front of you and I can usually kill a couple of them with missiles before they get close enough to even shoot me. When they get in range I just keep it in reverse and try to target them. It makes them easy to find and shoot but you do take more damage so upgrading your shield is a good idea. Also, with a big stack of whatever refills shields you are pretty much invincible if you just keep refilling your shield when it goes down.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I found the coolest place, a "Glassy" planet. Dead silent with really unnerving, but chill ambient music, no life, barely any plants, but it did have these:

Floating mineral formations that give Ferrite Dust. They even reflect sunlight really intensely.

Bonus Freighter picture:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Went ahead and picked the game up; is it a good idea to start on Survival or wait until I get a hang of it on Normal? I know that I should expect to die a good bit either way getting off the starting world.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Went ahead and picked the game up; is it a good idea to start on Survival or wait until I get a hang of it on Normal? I know that I should expect to die a good bit either way getting off the starting world.

Survival is intended to be hard mode and with the bugs, the game is hard enough.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just look for glowing yellow flowers and you'll be fine. I've died precisely twice so far, both times due to plasma grenading myself frantically right clicking to get out of the base building menu

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

I should've named it Tyrannosaurus Hop before I uploaded it.

Smile!

incredible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xilni posted:

It was around 110 mil if I remember correctly, remember to get your S rank scanner modules people

Azhais posted:

Thanks guys :tipshat:

Gonna be a while before I can even come close to that but I now have a goal to work towards.

Well, a goal after I finish repairing my multi-tool/trade it in for something better

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Anyone find a yellow sky world with pink grass? I miss that planet from patches and patches ago :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ToastyPotato posted:

Survival is intended to be hard mode and with the bugs, the game is hard enough.

Can I change settings part way through? If not normal it is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Can I change settings part way through? If not normal it is

No, your save is locked in once you start (you can have multiple saves). You can also only MP with players of the same gametype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well, I landed in Arizona and the game crashed.