Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

One of my players: "So how far behind me is the wererat chieftain?"
Me: "Um, say six feet."
My player: "Can I jump that?"
Me: "What are you trying to do?"
My player: "If I can, I want to do a backflip and land behind him with a knife to his throat."
Me: "gently caress yeah you can, give me a defy danger dexterity"
My player: "And the danger is I don't make the jump?"
Me: "What? No, you're a badass adventurer, the danger is you don't land perfectly with a knife to his throat. Of course you make the jump."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Besides J. Walton's Heritage Moves system, is there any existing system that attempts to let people come up with moves for an arbitrarily defined custom race?

I've been thinking about trying to homebrew something like that but I don't want to reinvent any wheels.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The easiest way is to rework an existing one, like taking how elf wizards get Detect Magic as a cantrip but you could change that to something more appropriate. You can give them one unchanged if you're boring.

If the race is something really weird and has cool features, having the ability to justify stuff other characters can't do would be enough. Having Angel Wings is probably better than most custom moves, although you should only do this if it's always available rather than situational.

If nothing really fits, a stat substitution on a basic move is a good fit. I'd encourage just making something up but that has pitfalls. Custom Moves are underutilized, imo

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

JerryLee posted:

Besides J. Walton's Heritage Moves system, is there any existing system that attempts to let people come up with moves for an arbitrarily defined custom race?

I've been thinking about trying to homebrew something like that but I don't want to reinvent any wheels.

A lot of racials point at core moves rather than class moves. In general, start with moves similar to anything else that exists or look at extra choices you can add to the starting class moves that let you pick.

Then ask a bunch of strangers on the Internet if you did a good job. We've been down this road before.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Thanks for the replies! Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm not asking because I have a specific need right now ("one of my players wants to play a half-angel kobold" or whatever); rather, I'm interested in comprehensive lists or systems that other people have come up with, like the heritage moves system I referred to.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

JerryLee posted:

Thanks for the replies! Just in case it wasn't clear, I'm not asking because I have a specific need right now ("one of my players wants to play a half-angel kobold" or whatever); rather, I'm interested in comprehensive lists or systems that other people have come up with, like the heritage moves system I referred to.

Systems? Well, one system is "give races the double-deuce, rewrite existing moves to be backgrounds instead, let people pick a background and say they're a particularly astute shade of blue if they want".

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Working on a Dungeon World hack/2nd edition project and am looking for your best suggestions/ideas.

I've already picked out a few mission statements/concepts as guides.
  • The one D&Dism Dungeon World got rid of that it should have kept is the ability to freely mix and match race/people/origin and class. So bring that option back.
  • Basic stats should be more about what a character is doing or how they're doing it, and not their innate qualities.
  • HP and weapon damage need to be revamped entirely.
  • Everyone needs to be good at combat and good at exploring in some fashion.
  • The party/adventuring company should be something that matters. This includes coming up with a better way to reflect relationships and history.

Here's some of the ways I'm trying to meet those goals.
Basic Stats
  • Basic stats are based around the idea of how something is accomplished. They still reflect D&D stats to some degree but are less about the character's innate capabilities and more about how they apply them.
  • Currently looking at Might (uses raw power and direct force), Finesse (grace and speed), Expertise (training and practiced skill), Insight (learned knowledge and close observation). Trying to determine one or two more stats, leaning towards something like Tenacity (perseverance and endurance) and then maybe Appeal (personal allure and persuasion).

Characters/Playbooks
  • Playbooks consist of three elements you select to create a unique character. Origin, Background, and Class you select.
  • Origin and Background are much smaller than playbook. They provide a top line benefit like Race/Alignment (and equivalents) in Dungeon World, a way to mark XP, and potentially one or two advances you can take along the way.
  • Origin includes race/people but things like "raised by wolves" and so forth. It has to be what you are/where you come from. Broadly, it represents the shared traits and/or experiences of a group you're part of, but not your individual experiences and lifepath.
  • Background lets you flesh out some character concepts that don't necessarily need to have a specific class dedicated to them, like a wizard who was trained by the military. This represents more the specific experience of the character.

Moves/Mechanics
  • Every class gets a defined stat for their attacks in combat, it's set as a high modifier. That stat also gets a tag reflecting a more descriptive explanation of their approach (like arcane for wizards or martial for fighters). The stat in question and the descriptor offer will adjust some of the options they have when they make the attack move(s?).
  • Additional moves based around exploration, and massively overhaul Defy Danger in particular.

I'm also considering something more radical, where every class gets its a Combat and an Explore stat at +1 each, and those have descriptive names. So a Wizard might have Arcane and Lore, and when they get to add that +1 to combat moves when the specific action involves magic somehow, and +1 to explore moves when it involves tapping into some piece of obscure information they've learned. I'm not totally happy with it as described, but I feel like there may be something there conceptually.

Anyways, suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Any update on this Gorbash?
If you've got a gdoc or something I'd happily attack it with some comments

I'm really asking because I want a DWv2 without writing it myself :eng101:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I would kill for a Dungeon World 2e, assuming it’s done right.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

I would kill for a Dungeon World 2e, assuming it’s done right.
It's got it's little niggles that's for sure

Someone made a complication pdf of a bunch of nice homebrew stuff plus some bits and pieces from Perilous Wilds which was a great start, but I don't think it went far enough personally

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I think I'm a bit of an outlier in that I'd like to see a DW that leans a bit more tactical in its combat. It's a phenomenal system for setpieces and running (as in moving) fights, but when it comes to a pitched-rumble it felt a bit lacking. I was never really satisfied with any of my boss-fights.

It wouldn't need to go anywhere near actual crunchy combat, an extension of the weapon tags with something like Fellowships monster tags would be enough. Something that gives a bit more structure to the combat so the DM doesn't have to wing it so much for enemy behaviour.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Is there a good homebrew hack for support rolls? I really don't like rolling the +number of bonds because most of my players just have one bond with each other. I've basically been like "sure you can help, they get a +1 and if they get 7-9 you're putting yourself in danger" but I've also been inconsistent with people declaring their assisting before/after the roll.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

kaffo posted:

Any update on this Gorbash?
If you've got a gdoc or something I'd happily attack it with some comments

I'm really asking because I want a DWv2 without writing it myself :eng101:
Got really busy with work but I've had some ideas percolating. I have a whole system for gear worked up that I need to type into a gdoc, right now its just in my notebook. Basically a remix of the Blades in the Dark system, but a bit more granular and with a few more moving parts that should play well with exploration and wilderness journeying.

Still stuck on stats.

Had an idea for weapons but I did some math to it and it wasn't gonna work so I scrapped it. Probably going to look at the Fallen Empires combat again for some ideas for that and HP, probably bring in some elements of BitD style stress.

I'm leaning towards a couple of very large categories (light, standard, heavy) that determine weapon damage, with light getting some bonuses to make up for lower damage and heavy some penalties to make up for higher damage. Going more granular pretty inevitably ends up with some weapons clearly being better than others, and even three big categories may be too specific for the small numerical space PbtA uses.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Glazius posted:

Systems? Well, one system is "give races the double-deuce, rewrite existing moves to be backgrounds instead, let people pick a background and say they're a particularly astute shade of blue if they want".

Actually, you know what, never mind. But thank you for taking the time to try to help :)

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 24, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I feel like it might help if Dungeon World sticks specifically to the dungeon part, or at least the “delve into dungeons, cross the perilous wilds” stuff. If moves and rules were specifically geared towards dungeoneering, that could solve some ambiguity IMO.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I feel like it might help if Dungeon World sticks specifically to the dungeon part, or at least the “delve into dungeons, cross the perilous wilds” stuff. If moves and rules were specifically geared towards dungeoneering, that could solve some ambiguity IMO.

That's something I'm aiming for. I still want combat to be a thing because cool fights are definitely a thing from the inspirations, but journeying and delving are things I want to greatly flesh out.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Journeying, yeah. Delving, not so much. I always found the "dungeons" part of D&D (and all its successors) to be weird and contrived.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Since we're hypothesizing on DW 2e stuff, I'll throw my hat in the ring with magic users. I'd like to see Vancian magic go away entirely. Maybe something along the lines of Star Wars World's force users, where they have to do a thing to get hold. When they get the hold they spend it to use magic. Maybe a master spell list or something? Give an easy and hard way to earn the hold with the easy way giving the GM the opportunity to make a move. Maybe make one of their attributes determine how much hold they can have at one time?

Just throwing out random thoughts.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

One idea I'm playing with is that wizardly casting involves making up spell names. Basically you can cast as many spells as you like, but you can cast a specific named spell only once per session, with advances letting you mark certain spells as ones you can cast extra times.

It needs testing, but the idea is to try and preserve some of the flavor of Vancian casting, and maybe get it closer to how it actually worked in Vance's stories, and also to keep the flavor of a spell book - as the campaign goes on you'd generate this expanding list of known spells for your wizard.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

One idea I'm playing with is that wizardly casting involves making up spell names. Basically you can cast as many spells as you like, but you can cast a specific named spell only once per session, with advances letting you mark certain spells as ones you can cast extra times.

It needs testing, but the idea is to try and preserve some of the flavor of Vancian casting, and maybe get it closer to how it actually worked in Vance's stories, and also to keep the flavor of a spell book - as the campaign goes on you'd generate this expanding list of known spells for your wizard.

13th Age had a wizard ability that was a little bit similar, although I think in that case the spell names just gave you little boosts through GM fiat. That said, the idea of making your own spellbook is cool as hell.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's a subsystem that I had cooked up but never really tested that might be interesting. This might be more apt for more Domain/Specialty based characters, but I think it can be modified for more D&D-like casting sets:

Have the spellcaster pick a noun or two that represents their specialty or domain like "Fire," "Life," "Wine," Punching," "Hair" etc. Then have them pick a few verbs indicating the things they would want to do with that domain like "Create," "Enhance," "Repel," "Mold," and so on. Optionally, pick some adjectives, some positive or neutral, like "Giant," "Pointed," "Rainbow," "Glowing," and at least one negative, like "Weak," "Wild," "Slow," and so on. The words chosen, when comprised make up the player's spells. The adjectives allow for doing more with the spell, but requiring a cost change either up or down, depending on the type.

Jumping off of Gorbash's idea, each of the nouns or verbs can be used a certain number of times. Same with the adjectives. Alternatively, it may just be a certain number of spells altogether in any combination, with separate pools depending on how many adjectives there are.

The idea is to give the player a bit of freeform flexibility with what sorts of spells they want to cast while still putting in boundaries with what sorts of things they can do and the total number of times they can do it. Frequency of casting spells in general and magnitude are largely bounded by the GM as opposed to things like initiative/casting time and general mechanical effects.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
That sounds a bit like the magic system in Streets of Marienburg, which is a really good system, in my opinion.

I also love the idea of building a spellbook over the course of play.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As far as bread and butter cantrips like Light or Levitation, they can be lumped into a separate move as they're the sorts of things that, shouldn't generally require a roll to use unless used in a particular or uncommon way.

As far as advancement goes, it's as simple as adding more words to their repertoire

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Sounds pretty rad guys! Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m gonna need you to roll +int to turn the apple from green to red. If you get a 6 or below, you’ll be taking damage. :colbert:

(I am not a fan of magical classes in DW)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
One of my co-workers and I were talking about this today, and one of the interesting tidbits was opinions about how to reinforce the differences between different kinds of magic (e.g. hucking fireballs vs summoning demons vs esoteric poo poo like alchemy). It's extremely dated, but the old Talislanta game had some pretty fun stuff for different kinds of magic, and cribbing from that could be fun. A lot depends on whether you're talking about individual spells as moves or whether your magical move encompasses something that's more broadly conceptual. So "pyromancy" might be something like:

When you solve your problem with pyromancy, roll+INT. On a 10+, all three. On a 7-9, pick two. On a miss, none are true.
* Your problem is solved
* You don't suffer casting fatigue
* Your spell doesn't get out of control

This way, whether you're filling a room with smoke to blind your opponents or creating a pillar of fire to serve as a beacon to faraway allies or turning your hands into blast furnaces to melt/weaken metal bars in order to escape, it all works the same way. I would separate spells into "attack" versus "effect," but that's about it. So maybe:

When you attack someone using pyromancy, roll+INT. On a 10+ pick three. On a 7-9, pick two.
* You inflict <extra damage>
* Your attack gains the area keyword
* Your attack loses the messy keyword
All pyromantic attacks are <appropriate damage> reach, close, messy, flaming by default.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ilor posted:

One of my co-workers and I were talking about this today, and one of the interesting tidbits was opinions about how to reinforce the differences between different kinds of magic (e.g. hucking fireballs vs summoning demons vs esoteric poo poo like alchemy). It's extremely dated, but the old Talislanta game had some pretty fun stuff for different kinds of magic, and cribbing from that could be fun. A lot depends on whether you're talking about individual spells as moves or whether your magical move encompasses something that's more broadly conceptual. So "pyromancy" might be something like:

When you solve your problem with pyromancy, roll+INT. On a 10+, all three. On a 7-9, pick two. On a miss, none are true.
* Your problem is solved
* Your spell doesn't get out of control

This way, whether you're filling a room with smoke to blind your opponents or creating a pillar of fire to serve as a beacon to faraway allies or turning your hands into blast furnaces to melt/weaken metal bars in order to escape, it all works the same way. I would separate spells into "attack" versus "effect," but that's about it. So maybe:

When you attack someone using pyromancy, roll+INT. On a 10+ pick three. On a 7-9, pick two.
* You inflict <extra damage>
* Your attack gains the area keyword
* Your attack loses the messy keyword
All pyromantic attacks are <appropriate damage> reach, close, messy, flaming by default.

“I use my pyromancy to summon the sun to the earth and dry up all the water in the lake to get the legendary sword Excalibur” *rolls +3 to summon the fukken sun*

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the gm can say 'no' or 'how', the same way they can say those things when the fighter declares he's lifting a castle.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It turns out the solution to anyone saying “ I roll to win the game welp that’s a 12” is to tell Douglas to cut that poo poo out in real life.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Then that leads to arguments where players are like “but I can do that I’m magic I don’t gotta explain poo poo” and I am terrible at putting my foot down in those situations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Game with a better class of players? "I'm magic and I don't gotta explain poo poo" is a super dick move, and anyone who uses it should be disabused of their lovely notions.

"The table" is usually the best way to resolve that kind of crap. If you and/or the rest of the players call bullshit on something, most people settle right the gently caress down. In DW, it's no different than dealing with ridiculous Defy Danger claims pulled by players wanting to roll their best stat: "Oh, um, the Otyugh is lashing out at me with a tentacle? No, I don't dodge or anything. I'm just so smart that I figured out the reach of his tentacles, and I'm standing just outside it. Yeah, I'll roll+INT to keep from getting grabbed."

Bullshit. You know it, everyone else at the table knows it (including the guy trying to do it). Don't be afraid to call it like you see it.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Then that leads to arguments where players are like “but I can do that I’m magic I don’t gotta explain poo poo” and I am terrible at putting my foot down in those situations.

Throw some technobabble at them to explain why not and then write it down to use later to retcon a semi-coherent metaphyiscs of magic. "Mana Levels" or "Spell Patterns" or "Astral Verges" or "Magical Resonance" or "Ancestor Spirits" or whatever.

Also, only roll dice when it's dramatically interesting and the fiction demands it. A dude wants to change the color of his apple with magic? Sure. That's the kind of thinking you do when someone is like "I stab the defenseless guy" and you go "sure, roll damage" instead of "sure, roll hack and slash." You can apply the same thing to magic pretty easily.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Pollyanna posted:

I’m not trying to be an rear end and say that’s a “you” problem, but the game just....won’t really work if you aren’t willing to go “Janet, c’mon. Yes you do.”

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

Throw some technobabble at them to explain why not and then write it down to use later to retcon a semi-coherent metaphyiscs of magic. "Mana Levels" or "Spell Patterns" or "Astral Verges" or "Magical Resonance" or "Ancestor Spirits" or whatever.

Also, only roll dice when it's dramatically interesting and the fiction demands it. A dude wants to change the color of his apple with magic? Sure. That's the kind of thinking you do when someone is like "I stab the defenseless guy" and you go "sure, roll damage" instead of "sure, roll hack and slash." You can apply the same thing to magic pretty easily.

That's basically the concept with my Cantrip move. Lighting up a room with a light spell is not a situation to roll. Blinding the orc that just grabbed you is. Changing a color of an apple isn't a roll. Changing the color of an apple to trick someone into thinking it's poisonous is.

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Overemotional Robot posted:

That sounds a bit like the magic system in Streets of Marienburg, which is a really good system, in my opinion.

I also love the idea of building a spellbook over the course of play.

Chiming in to say SoM is the best pbta game and every new pbta game should start as a hack of it including DWv2.0

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This is why I've begun starting every campaign with a Session on Setting & World Building, that way we can talk about the kinds of magic that exist in the world, the limits of that magic (and it's costs; time, reagents, etc), and the way it affects the world and it's inhabitants. It allows for an out of character discussion and usually leads to players having more of a connection to the factions / gods / demons that they are likely to interact with in the game itself. It's also a great time to say "No, Robert, you cannot summon the great undergod N'Glothorka to devour the universe" (but in that campaign we did create a cult of said undergod as a faction)

It makes a great jumping off point, last few games we basically ran Microscope before character gen, but I also have a really involved group lore wise. Sometimes to a fault, my buddy once showed up with a 1000 word description of the trade/commerce climate of his coastal city, and a timeline & description of his family's history of wealth. Sometimes it's great, but sometimes it's overwhelming.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
My inclination would be - unless it's completely obvious the player is just trolling or it would otherwise cause irremediable problems for the game - to say "sure, here are the steps you need to take to be in a position to do <magic bullshit>". Like how in Apocalypse World the Savvyhead workshop is pretty much a blank check for the Savvyhead to do practically anything they feel like...but you get to tell them what hoops they have to jump through first.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What has everyone’s favorite custom playbooks been? I’m considering bringing some fun stuff for players in a potential upcoming Dungeon World campaign, and I’m wondering what everybody has enjoyed so far.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

The Witch is always a fun one.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

My players and I love The Brute, always a fun playbook to bring to the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Dashing Hero is good, if you lean that way.