Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

StabbinHobo posted:

its ok you're like guy number one million who's reaction to the info that they're the baddie is to go into a hyper defensive temper tantrum, its normal, the question is will you cry it out and then get to work?

What the gently caress is a "baddie"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What the gently caress is a "baddie"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I’m going to have one less child than I otherwise would so I’m gonna have to rub out one of yours. Goondolences. Shoot me a DM if you have one you won’t miss.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thug Lessons posted:

You are never going to get people to voluntarily impoverish themselves to serve climate policy. End of story. Nor is it necessary to do so. Fossil power plants can be replaced with renewables and nuclear power, gasoline- and diesel- fueled vehicles can be replaced with EVs, beef can be replaced with imitation meat. That's how real-world decarbonization is going to proceed, whether you like it or not.

it might be difficult for people in the prisoners dilemma to choose cooperate when they see the anvil on the other participant's betray button.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Having children is the most immoral act anyone could commit so I’m certainly with StabbinHobo on this one: if you have children, you are objectively and unequivocally evil. Like, Trump supporter level evil.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Having children is the most immoral act anyone could commit so I’m certainly with StabbinHobo on this one: if you have children, you are objectively and unequivocally evil. Like, Trump supporter level evil.

what if you accidentally have one

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

When you commit a crime on accident, you’re still committing a crime.
But having children is a months long process anyway so accidentally having one is really hard and makes you stupid on top of evil.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

When you commit a crime on accident, you’re still committing a crime.
But having children is a months long process anyway so accidentally having one is really hard and makes you stupid on top of evil.

what if you're in an orgy where it's assumed and everyone is understood to be fertile (but it turns out that 2 people are at least not)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Do people in this thread ever not rehash the same two arguments over and over again? Looking forward to checking this thread again in four months to read about how having children makes you immoral, how many countries OOCC flew to to photograph cats, how meaningless individual action is, and how we must all accept despair/murder politicians.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Wow wow wow no one ever advocated murdering politicians

Only Americans

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

Don't forget meat, and Arkane I guess?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Hello Sailor posted:

e: Incidentally, there's not a single "talking point" you've attempted to raise that isn't answered here: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php, so gently caress off and come back when you've got an issue you can't answer yourself with google.

Oh boy. "97% of climate scientists" thing again..

So I took an argument at random and had a closer look.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/hurricanes-global-warming-basic.htm

Okay, hurricanes it is.

Claim: There is increasing evidence that hurricanes are getting stronger due to global warming.

What does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration say?

First of all, they have the Hurricane Research Division.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/G3.html

Key points of interest:

quote:

Though there is evidence both for and against the existence of a detectable anthropogenic signal in the tropical cyclone climate record to date, no firm conclusion can be made on this point.

No individual tropical cyclone can be directly attributed to climate change.

Tropical cyclone wind-speed monitoring has changed dramatically over the last few decades, leading to difficulties in determining accurate trends.

That doesn't really look too promising.

But Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory has something to say as well.

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

quote:

We find that, after adjusting for such an estimated number of missing storms, there remains just a small nominally positive upward trend in tropical storm occurrence from 1878-2006. Statistical tests indicate that this trend is not significantly distinguishable from zero.

In short, the historical Atlantic hurricane record does not provide compelling evidence for a substantial greenhouse warming-induced long-term increase.

TLDR: Took a claim at random skepticalscience.com, turned out to be a lie.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Are you for real?

You’re trying to counter the argument "Hurricanes will become stronger" with a link that says "Hurricanes will become stronger" and claiming that the initial statement is a lie because "there is no significant uptick in hurricane occurrence"

Your reading comprehension is extremely bad.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
The wording of the claim was very clear: "hurricanes are getting stronger". This is not supported by any direct evidence.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Probably of interest to this thread, but its looking likely the Iberia peninsula is going to break the 50C barrier this weekend. Possible it could get to 51-52C which will smash the previous European temperature record of 48.3C. Hottest area is likely to happen in Portugal inland around Lisbon.

If it does get to 50C+ that is probably a level of temperature (for coastal Portugal) where it will be dangerous to life without AC due to the humidity (>60%).

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Okay I’m gonna quote the thing you quoted back at you because you’re being hella thick:

quote:

there remains just a small nominally positive upward trend in tropical storm occurrence from 1878-2006. Statistical tests indicate that this trend is not significantly distinguishable from zero.

This quote does not say what you think it does. I bolded the important word for you, but do you need a link to Merriam-Webster?

Here are three paragraphs from the summary of the thing you quoted, which directly contradicts your point:

quote:

Tropical cyclone rainfall rates will likely increase in the future due to anthropogenic warming and accompanying increase in atmospheric moisture content. Models project an increase on the order of 10-15% for rainfall rates averaged within about 100 km of the storm for a 2 degree Celsius global warming scenario.
Tropical cyclone intensities globally will likely increase on average (by 1 to 10% according to model projections for a 2 degree Celsius global warming). This change would imply an even larger percentage increase in the destructive potential per storm, assuming no reduction in storm size.
There are better than even odds that anthropogenic warming over the next century will lead to an increase in the occurrence of very intense tropical cyclones globally–an increase that would be substantially larger in percentage terms than the 1-10% increase in the average storm intensity. This increase in intense storm occurrence is projected despite a likely decrease (or little change) in the global numbers of all tropical cyclones. However, there is at present only low confidence that such an increase in very intense storms will occur in the Atlantic basin.

Also lmao at your first link, which is over 10 years old. Don’t you have anything more recent? You're very bad at this.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 31, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OhYeah posted:

Oh boy. "97% of climate scientists" thing again..

So I took an argument at random and had a closer look.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/hurricanes-global-warming-basic.htm

Okay, hurricanes it is.

Claim: There is increasing evidence that hurricanes are getting stronger due to global warming.

What does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration say?

First of all, they have the Hurricane Research Division.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/G3.html

Key points of interest:

That doesn't really look too promising.

But Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory has something to say as well.

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

TLDR: Took a claim at random skepticalscience.com, turned out to be a lie.

Get a load of this stable brain genius

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Okay I’m gonna quote the thing you quoted back at you because you’re being hella thick:

This quote does not say what you think it does. I bolded the important word for you, but do you need a link to Merriam-Webster?

Here are three paragraphs from the summary of the thing you quoted, which directly contradicts your point:

"will likely increase"
"will lead to"

Why are you trying to frame predictions for the future as evidence for processes that are supposedly already occurring?

Also lmao at your first link, which is over 10 years old. Don’t you have anything more recent? You're very bad at this.

It's still up on their website, which means the information is still valid and stands correct today. The information on the second link has been revised in 2018.

Siljmonster posted:

Get a load of this stable brain genius

Do you anything to add to the actual discussion or are you just butthurt that your doomsday bubble has been burst?

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Just had a brain fart: Steering towards some reasonably efficient way to get the greenhouse gases back out of the atmosphere is by far the most realistic and likely-to-succeed option, because that is a thing that doesn't really require challenging existing power or changing any institution's or individual's behavior, so to speak. You can just do it (if you have the resources to).
By contrast, if you want to reduce emissions to any acceptable level (as if there's such a thing), you have to fill all reasonably big governments with people willing to sacrifice prosperity for the environment (backed by actual popular support for that position), abolish capitalism, reform industry so the majority of production is emissions-free, forcefully take away most people's cars (even if you promise them a free EV in return, force will be needed in many cases) and regulate their behavior in a major manner. That's never gonna happen. Every single one of these tasks is impossible to achieve at a satisfactory scale (i.e. globally) even for governments, and would take decades.*
Developing some method to reduce atmospheric CO2 and fund its deployment massively seems relatively easy by comparison. The only thing required is some people with power who decide to do it. Some EU countries together with a handful of benevolent billionaires (lol) could do a decent contribution. Doesn't require transforming the USA, Russia or China into something else than neoliberal/proto-fascist capitalist hellholes. And I don't think that there would be major political opposition, i.e. the fossil-fuel oligarchs wouldn't care in the same manner they care about reducing emissions. They don't make their profits from there being CO2 in the atmosphere. They make them from burning oil (which, from their perspective, only incidentally emits CO2 in the atmosphere).

* And even if global carbon emissions were reduced to 0 tomorrow, we would still be stuck with the current CO2 concentration which is 45% higher than pre-industrial levels, which would take thousands of years to normalize with natural processes (ruining oceans in the process). At this point, we need mechanisms for getting GHG out of the atmosphere anyway. Reducing emissions, even to 0, is not enough. We need a negative number.

Ocean of Milk fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 31, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nah turns out carbon sequester is even more expensive and difficult than cutting carbs.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ocean of Milk posted:

Just had a brain fart: Steering towards some reasonably efficient way to get the greenhouse gases back out of the atmosphere is by far the most realistic and likely-to-succeed option, because that is a thing that doesn't really require challenging existing power or changing any institution's or individual's behavior, so to speak. You can just do it (if you have the resources to).
Turns out the only people with the resources to do this are:

quote:

all reasonably big governments

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Por que no los dos?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

OhYeah posted:

"will likely increase"
"will lead to"

Why are you trying to frame predictions for the future as evidence for processes that are supposedly already occurring?

It's still up on their website, which means the information is still valid and stands correct today. The information on the second link has been revised in 2018.

Do you anything to add to the actual discussion or are you just butthurt that your doomsday bubble has been burst?

All of this is extremely weak and you know it. Come back when you’ve mastered elementary reading comprehension. This will require learning what "likely" means.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

All of this is extremely weak and you know it. Come back when you’ve mastered elementary reading comprehension. This will require learning what "likely" means.

Deniers tend to get their misinformation from a few sites that pretend like they've disproven (or have reason to doubt the intensity of) climate change, and then act like it's original research they did. This one's interesting to me because the attack on the hurricane aspect of climate change was done by Arkane several years ago, complete with the exact same kind of either lack of reading comprehension or deliberate misreading of things (though he was attacking the OP, rather than Skeptical Science). That link has information from IPCC's AR5 and references two actual studies from Nature and Natural Geosciences in the rebuttal if anyone is interested.

If anyone is interested in a breakdown of a given denier claim, always feel free to request it in-thread. Otherwise, it's generally best to ignore deniers as they wallow in their own shitposts.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ocean of Milk posted:

By contrast, if you want to reduce emissions to any acceptable level (as if there's such a thing), you have to fill all reasonably big governments with people willing to sacrifice prosperity for the environment (backed by actual popular support for that position), abolish capitalism, reform industry so the majority of production is emissions-free, forcefully take away most people's cars (even if you promise them a free EV in return, force will be needed in many cases) and regulate their behavior in a major manner. That's never gonna happen. Every single one of these tasks is impossible to achieve at a satisfactory scale (i.e. globally) even for governments, and would take decades.*
Developing some method to reduce atmospheric CO2 and fund its deployment massively seems relatively easy by comparison. The only thing required is some people with power who decide to do it. Some EU countries together with a handful of benevolent billionaires (lol) could do a decent contribution. Doesn't require transforming the USA, Russia or China into something else than neoliberal/proto-fascist capitalist hellholes. And I don't think that there would be major political opposition, i.e. the fossil-fuel oligarchs wouldn't care in the same manner they care about reducing emissions. They don't make their profits from there being CO2 in the atmosphere. They make them from burning oil (which, from their perspective, only incidentally emits CO2 in the atmosphere).

* And even if global carbon emissions were reduced to 0 tomorrow, we would still be stuck with the current CO2 concentration which is 45% higher than pre-industrial levels, which would take thousands of years to normalize with natural processes (ruining oceans in the process). At this point, we need mechanisms for getting GHG out of the atmosphere anyway. Reducing emissions, even to 0, is not enough. We need a negative number.

this is as insane as saying "what if we have milkshakes for breakfast and then just run 5 miles to burn it off every day?"

you posit that a bunch of things are impossible, and then your solution is just plain insane. maybe your ideas of whats possible or not are ideologically hamstrung?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Maybe ESL issues?

The prediction isn't for more storms, it's for storms to be stronger. We might've already begun to experience that in an appreciable way with last year's Atlantic hurricane season, and the next few years will show whether it was a statistical anomaly or the settling-in of a long-predicted trend.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OhYeah posted:

Nah I love coming to threads to point out how stupid people are

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also remember that US federal agencies have been ordered to wipe information related to climate change impacts from their websites and reports. So you can't trust that if NOAA says "this climate impact can't be determined" that NOAA scientists actually agree with the published conclusion.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Loving this California fire season.

Really looking forward to the unending hellscape that California summers are looking likely to be from here on out. It's great at giving me an excuse to stay inside lurking doomsday threads as opposed to doing something I might actually enjoy, like biking, or hiking, or something.

Haha, I didn't like these lungs anyways.

Also OhYeah, watching the Dunning-Kruger effect play out on the forums is only entertaining for so long. TIA for loving off.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

DrHammond posted:

Loving this California fire season.

Really looking forward to the unending hellscape that California summers are looking likely to be from here on out. It's great at giving me an excuse to stay inside lurking doomsday threads as opposed to doing something I might actually enjoy, like biking, or hiking, or something.

Haha, I didn't like these lungs anyways.

Also OhYeah, watching the Dunning-Kruger effect play out on the forums is only entertaining for so long. TIA for loving off.

Some of us have to bike to work in this crap.

(June 12, near Coldwater Canyon)

It sucks.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah well back in my day it was called SUMMER

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Interesting documentary on possible carbon sequestration by changing agricultural practices

https://vimeo.com/223551638

https://kisstheground.com

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 1, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
At a glance the video triggers my BS alarms due to sounding like a michael bay movie trailer, trying to find some actual info on what they propose it seems to be stuff like crop rotation, leaving fields fallow, use more natural fertilizers and stuff that seems to be in general usage here in Finland. Of course farms here are generally not the corporate hellmurderfarms of america so capitalist profit now motives don't have sole reign and the people have a more personal attachement to their farms and want a future for themselves, their lands and their children.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Yes, all these predictions are worded in a very cautious and vague way.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Deniers tend to get their misinformation from a few sites that pretend like they've disproven (or have reason to doubt the intensity of) climate change, and then act like it's original research they did. This one's interesting to me because the attack on the hurricane aspect of climate change was done by Arkane several years ago, complete with the exact same kind of either lack of reading comprehension or deliberate misreading of things (though he was attacking the OP, rather than Skeptical Science).

This is literally what I did:

1) Think of an organization who have been studying hurricanes for a long time.
2) Go to their website and see if they have a FAQ section about the relationship between global warming and hurricanes.

I haven't seen a single rebuttal, all I've seen is a bunch of whining why I'm not worried about vague doomsday predictions for the future which may or may not come true.

Trabisnikof posted:

Also remember that US federal agencies have been ordered to wipe information related to climate change impacts from their websites and reports. So you can't trust that if NOAA says "this climate impact can't be determined" that NOAA scientists actually agree with the published conclusion.

And with this claim of grand conspiracy you can handwave any evidence (or lack thereof) away just like that! Brilliant.

There's another thing that just occurred to me. You are doing exactly the same thing here what you blaming "climate change denialists" of doing. When somebody makes a joke about how climate warming cannot be true because we've had unusually cold winter with lots of snow you go into a frenzy and cry how you cannot get weather and climate mixed up. An unusually cold winter cannot be used as evidence for the lack of global warming trends. However, for some reason it is completely fine to use heatwaves and droughts as evidence for accelerating climate change. You can't have it both ways.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

You haven’t seen a rebuttal because your own posts contain the links that rebut them.

Also you haven’t seen anything because there is no worse blind man than the one who doesn’t want to see. You are not worth engaging because you are lazy and your arguments are trite, and we all know it, including yourself.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

OhYeah posted:

Yes, all these predictions are worded in a very cautious and vague way.

Literally how science works. It's not vague though.

OhYeah posted:

This is literally what I did:

1) Think of an organization who have been studying hurricanes for a long time.
2) Go to their website and see if they have a FAQ section about the relationship between global warming and hurricanes.

I haven't seen a single rebuttal, all I've seen is a bunch of whining why I'm not worried about vague doomsday predictions for the future which may or may not come true.

People have not rebutted you because you don't even understand what you're reading in the first place. The intensity of hurricanes has increased, the frequency of hurricanes has not and probably will not. You don't seem to grasp that basic point.

OhYeah posted:

When somebody makes a joke about how climate warming cannot be true because we've had unusually cold winter with lots of snow you go into a frenzy and cry how you cannot get weather and climate mixed up. An unusually cold winter cannot be used as evidence for the lack of global warming trends. However, for some reason it is completely fine to use heatwaves and droughts as evidence for accelerating climate change. You can't have it both ways.

Nobody goes into a frenzy and cries about how you cannot get weather and climate mixed up because extreme or anomalous weather events can absolutely be linked to climate change. Climate. Change. The word was changed, literally, so people like you can stop saying dumbass poo poo about how global warming doesn't real because it's cold sometimes. On average winters are warmer. There are also more anomalous weather events. There are also more intense weather events. Sometimes it's much colder than it should be! Climate. Change.

I don't know how you can sit around saying climate change is vague unsubstantiated crap while the global north is literally cooking. Wildfires have always happened - now they're happening with more frequency, more intensity, and in places they hadn't previously. Droughts have always happened - now they're happening with more frequency, more intensity, and in places they hadn't previously. Heatwaves have always happened - now they're happening with more frequency, more intensity, and in places they hadn't previously. Do you think it's all weird spooky coincidence that that's all going on at the same time? And at the same time the massive consensus of the scientific community is saying "It's much loving hotter than it used to be"? Coincidence?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fwiw OhYeah i'm not even reading past the first line or two of your posts. your entire tone and phrasing, let alone content is just super duper boring. you're like a lovely background character, the second-sidekick to the bad guy in a movie who's lines could be improv'd by a 9 year old. we've seen every dumb contrarian/skeptic blog post you can link to before. arkane and a half a dozen other idiots like you two already dragged us through all this for huuuuundreds of pages. its cool, I don't expect you to go back and read them or anything, its just you have to understand why we're all too bored by you to engage.

just like its not women's job to explain to men all the ways they're being sexist/patriarchal/rape-culture-y, its not actually our job to do you the favor of spending however many hours it would take to pierce your layers of mental illness and correct your awful opinions. you are very very very clearly not engaging in a serious grown up way, so of course we're not going to adopt you like a misbehaving teenager that just needs love.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

OhYeah posted:

"will likely increase"
"will lead to"

I like posts like this because I just imagine this guy remembering that he thought this, fifty years from now.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Imagine the panic if we magically transplanted present conditions today back fifty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

StabbinHobo posted:

fwiw OhYeah i'm not even reading past the first line or two of your posts. your entire tone and phrasing, let alone content is just super duper boring. you're like a lovely background character, the second-sidekick to the bad guy in a movie who's lines could be improv'd by a 9 year old. we've seen every dumb contrarian/skeptic blog post you can link to before. arkane and a half a dozen other idiots like you two already dragged us through all this for huuuuundreds of pages. its cool, I don't expect you to go back and read them or anything, its just you have to understand why we're all too bored by you to engage.

just like its not women's job to explain to men all the ways they're being sexist/patriarchal/rape-culture-y, its not actually our job to do you the favor of spending however many hours it would take to pierce your layers of mental illness and correct your awful opinions. you are very very very clearly not engaging in a serious grown up way, so of course we're not going to adopt you like a misbehaving teenager that just needs love.

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)