Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like either there are too few events or something because that event happens all the time. It's a good reason to toss your heir at some rando so they can become rivals instead.

It's one of the standard childhood education events and happens for every kid at age 14 if their guardian has 12+ in at least two stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's great fun to create ambitious daughters that make very good spymasters and marry them off into kingdoms you don't like. You just know bodies will start piling up.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's great fun to create ambitious daughters that make very good spymasters and marry them off into kingdoms you don't like. You just know bodies will start piling up.

poo poo this never even occurred to me.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

poo poo this never even occurred to me.

yeah if you've got an extremely genius scheming daughter or an extremely stupid inbred daughter, either way you throw her like a hand grenade at enemy bloodlines

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Plus if she likes you she'll join all your plots in their kingdom

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, making her your rival to give her Ambitious probably precludes her liking you, which is part of what was suggested.

Anyway, I'm wanting to play this again after seven months or so, and I was wondering a few things. One, are Defense/Shock retinues still the best if you don't have particular cultural retinues?

Two, are there still buildings that are just not worth making because they will literally never pay for themselves even by the end of the game/just don't do enough for the cost?

Three, on a tangent from the above, is there anything I ever want to build outside of my capital county and/or my demesne as a whole besides trading posts and such? Particularly wondering about hospitals, since those only affect the county they're in as far as I'm aware.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Roland Jones posted:

Well, making her your rival to give her Ambitious probably precludes her liking you, which is part of what was suggested.

There's a pretty great event that pops up if you have the "family" way of life focus on that clears family rivals or makes close family members into close friends that fires often enough.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Anyway, I'm wanting to play this again after seven months or so, and I was wondering a few things. One, are Defense/Shock retinues still the best if you don't have particular cultural retinues?

Two, are there still buildings that are just not worth making because they will literally never pay for themselves even by the end of the game/just don't do enough for the cost?

Three, on a tangent from the above, is there anything I ever want to build outside of my capital county and/or my demesne as a whole besides trading posts and such? Particularly wondering about hospitals, since those only affect the county they're in as far as I'm aware.

If your cultural retinue is anything other than pikes, heavy infantry, or light cavalry, the generic Defense retinue is still the best. If you want to get a little more fancy, you can do a ratio of 4 Defense / 2 Shock / 1 Skirmish that's a bit more optimized.

I wouldn't bother upgrading your wealth-producing buildings past level 2 unless you have a ton of extra money, since those take over 100 years to pay back their cost. Buildings that give you more troops are worth it as long as you can afford them; sometimes having extra cash for mercenaries is more pragmatic.

You almost never want to spend money outside the castles (or cities if you're a republic) that you own personally. I do like to build a hospital in any county that touches my capitol to set up a wall of disease resistance. However, understand that hospitals were designed as a bit of a late-game cash sink and shouldn't be a high priority.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

420 Gank Mid posted:

There's a pretty great event that pops up if you have the "family" way of life focus on that clears family rivals or makes close family members into close friends that fires often enough.

Ah, good to know. I was curious about that, but have never actually used the Family focus. Does that work even if said family is in another court, like the hypothetical married off murder-daughters, or is it only for ones in your court?

Various Meat Products posted:

If your cultural retinue is anything other than pikes, heavy infantry, or light cavalry, the generic Defense retinue is still the best. If you want to get a little more fancy, you can do a ratio of 4 Defense / 2 Shock / 1 Skirmish that's a bit more optimized.

I wouldn't bother upgrading your wealth-producing buildings past level 2 unless you have a ton of extra money, since those take over 100 years to pay back their cost. Buildings that give you more troops are worth it as long as you can afford them; sometimes having extra cash for mercenaries is more pragmatic.

You almost never want to spend money outside the castles (or cities if you're a republic) that you own personally. I do like to build a hospital in any county that touches my capitol to set up a wall of disease resistance. However, understand that hospitals were designed as a bit of a late-game cash sink and shouldn't be a high priority.

Gotcha. That's about what I figured, though since I tend to play in the east I'm also wondering if building some hospitals along the Silk Road (when I am rich enough to afford it, of course) is a good idea too, since I remember hearing that epidemics like to spread along it but can't remember if that's true or not, or if it'd be worth it even then.

Either way, thanks for the help, both of you.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Well goons, I'm doing it:

I was an Irish count, but now I want to smash other stuff. I can't figure out how to develop a claim on a kingdom title, unless via dynastic manipulation. I have yet to succeed at title fuckery via marriage so that might be out right now.

I want to get England and France. And Burgundy probably. But I'm not sure what to do now.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Roland Jones posted:

Ah, good to know. I was curious about that, but have never actually used the Family focus. Does that work even if said family is in another court, like the hypothetical married off murder-daughters, or is it only for ones in your court?

I'm 100% sure it can work at a different court but I'm less sure it can work if your relative is in another realm entirely.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's been a while, so I started a new game to make sure I wasn't rusty, and since catholics and pagans are going to get changed soon, I decided to play as king of Georgia.

Is imprisoning somebody no longer good enough get rid of their negative opinion when you're trying to change succession law to primogeniture?

Crimson Harvest posted:

Well goons, I'm doing it:

I was an Irish count, but now I want to smash other stuff. I can't figure out how to develop a claim on a kingdom title, unless via dynastic manipulation. I have yet to succeed at title fuckery via marriage so that might be out right now.

I want to get England and France. And Burgundy probably. But I'm not sure what to do now.

Dynastic manipulation can grab you a bunch of territory, but it requires a lot of time, luck, observation, and stabbing. Once in a blue moon maybe you can get the pope to grant you an invasion, but don't hold your breath. The most straightforward method is to fabricate claims and conquer one at a time, working your way towards getting duchies, and then the kingdoms themselves, which can take a while, but you've got a century to work with.

Alternatively there's always just inviting people with claims to your court, landing them, and pressing their claims.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The best way to gain large kingdoms like that is to just marry a daughter or sister of the current ruler. They'll have a weak, inheritable claim that passes to your heir. You can then press that weak claim in a war when the ruler is in a regency or if they're a woman and the claimant is male.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's been a while, so I started a new game to make sure I wasn't rusty, and since catholics and pagans are going to get changed soon, I decided to play as king of Georgia.

Is imprisoning somebody no longer good enough get rid of their negative opinion when you're trying to change succession law to primogeniture?

Dynastic manipulation can grab you a bunch of territory, but it requires a lot of time, luck, observation, and stabbing. Once in a blue moon maybe you can get the pope to grant you an invasion, but don't hold your breath. The most straightforward method is to fabricate claims and conquer one at a time, working your way towards getting duchies, and then the kingdoms themselves, which can take a while, but you've got a century to work with.

Alternatively there's always just inviting people with claims to your court, landing them, and pressing their claims.

Why the gently caress do people in this thread put fabricating claims above dynastic planning (the actual cool fun part of the game) the two don’t even compare in power.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Various Meat Products posted:

This gets repeated a lot but it's not strictly true. They only take over 100 years to pay off if you have no modifiers. High stewardship, tax revenue increasing artifacts, the greedy traits and your steward collecting taxes can all reduce the time those buildings take to pay off their construction cost.

And of course, if you plan to play a long game, 100 years is not too much time for buildings to amortize themselves.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, if I'm starting in Charlemagne or Old Gods, 100 years for what's intended to possibly go to the game end isn't so bad. I was just wondering if there were things that just could not be justified, because I vaguely remember people talking about things that would literally never, ever pay for themselves. But I can't remember the specifics and I'm pretty sure that I am remembering something from like a year or two ago, maybe more, so I could be remembering wrong, or it might have been changed. Or possibly in a specific context, like not building X after a certain point. I don't know, which is why I was asking.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, if I'm starting in Charlemagne or Old Gods, 100 years for what's intended to possibly go to the game end isn't so bad. I was just wondering if there were things that just could not be justified, because I vaguely remember people talking about things that would literally never, ever pay for themselves. But I can't remember the specifics and I'm pretty sure that I am remembering something from like a year or two ago, maybe more, so I could be remembering wrong, or it might have been changed. Or possibly in a specific context, like not building X after a certain point. I don't know, which is why I was asking.

Just stack castles in your capital and put your marshal and steward to work. Anything you build will be useful due to bonuses (councilors + capital + crown focus), and a handful of upgraded castles will give you more cash and troops than a couple garbage counties in your de jure demesne.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Any advice for handling massive continent-spanning hellwars? I finally returned to my Byzantine game where I'm right on track to inheriting Italy and reforming the old empire, but in the meantime, my wife, the queen of Italy has pulled me into a massive holy war for a bit of Africa, which is held by the Empire of Hispania, and the Arabian Empire on the other side of the map has also joined in, along with muslim Egypt, and western Africa to make things annoying. If I stay focused on maneuvering armies in Hispania, I lose track of the armies in Arabia and vice versa.

And then there's the raids and rebellions, which aren't much to speak of, but I've still gotta wheel around an army to fight them. I've taken advantage of a lull in the war to demobilize most of my armies so that I can have vassal armies ready to respond to threats.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why the gently caress do people in this thread put fabricating claims above dynastic planning (the actual cool fun part of the game) the two don’t even compare in power.

One's reliable, one takes a long time and a lot of work and observation, and I'm still no good at it. And while it may be satisfying to pull off, I'm not very fond of all the waiting you have to do to make it happen.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Gotcha. That's about what I figured, though since I tend to play in the east I'm also wondering if building some hospitals along the Silk Road (when I am rich enough to afford it, of course) is a good idea too, since I remember hearing that epidemics like to spread along it but can't remember if that's true or not, or if it'd be worth it even then.

it would be a decent idea to set up hospitals as bulwarks against disease spread but disease will spread around your hospital walls, as well as over them since hospitals are only a moderate protection against epidemics

i'd personally preference a tricked out hospital in my capital as a piety and research generator but if you've got the spare cash then building firebreaks with hospitals is a medium-low priority task

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
One thing to note about Hospitals, especially with regards to major epidemics like the Plague, is that as far as I can tell they just reduce the odds that the disease enters the county on any given tick. They do not reduce the duration of the disease. Especially with something like the Plague, which has a good chance to get through even a maxed out hospital, hospitals can actually be harmful. Since you tend to want to keep your gates closed when a disease is adjacent to your capital as well as when it arrives, a maxed capital hospital can essentially double the time you have your gates closed.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Just eat a couple courtiers, no big deal.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

keep your citizens happy by killing all of the cats

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You loving monster. Adopt one of the cats and tell the peasants to get hosed.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Sticky Nate posted:

keep your citizens happy by killing all of the cats

Absolutely never ever do this. Protect the cats with your armies if the peasants get uppity. Also protect jews and any other scapegoats

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Starting to remind me of Dwarf Fortress.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kaza42 posted:

Since you tend to want to keep your gates closed when a disease is adjacent to your capital
Does it have any effect? I usually close the gates only after the disease arrives to my capital.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Does it have any effect? I usually close the gates only after the disease arrives to my capital.

there's always a delay between a disease reaching your capital and you noticing and clicking close the gates, so it's safer to do it when they're adjacent. I also think that people can get infected from nearby counties but can't actually find anything to support this.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kaza42 posted:

Since you tend to want to keep your gates closed when a disease is adjacent to your capital as well as when it arrives, a maxed capital hospital can essentially double the time you have your gates closed.

With the Plague be sure to close your gates well before it gets anywhere near your castle. Spread 3 counties in one tick in my game, even tho the interface showed no spread strength yet.

Abandon the peasants early and often.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

With the Plague be sure to close your gates well before it gets anywhere near your castle. Spread 3 counties in one tick in my game, even tho the interface showed no spread strength yet.

Abandon the peasants early and often.

I know that on individual characters there is a dormant period when they've been infected with something before they start showing symptoms, and thus closing the gates at that point won't do any good. So it's entirely possible this applies on the province level as well, where a province will have a plague present (and thus people there can start getting infected) before it actually gets recognized as such.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

One's reliable, one takes a long time and a lot of work and observation, and I'm still no good at it. And while it may be satisfying to pull off, I'm not very fond of all the waiting you have to do to make it happen.

If you have a bunch of plans cooking at once you’re always enacting one or two of them, sometimes snatching entire kingdoms out of it. Fabricating is more boring.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Neither strategy should be considered mutually exclusive. You do everything you can to marry your way into land while simultaneously fabricating claims. Neither option is good or bad, hard or easy. You should be doing both always, forever.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I never have had any luck marrying kids into titles. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

CascadeBeta posted:

I never have had any luck marrying kids into titles. I have no idea what I'm doing.

You can't marry a kid you won't eventually become into a title equivalent to what you have. So for example, you can't marry your 2nd son into a kingdom title if your heir is your first son and you're only a king. In that instance, your second son will break off and become a separate king, not a vassel under yourself.

Daughters have the added issue of matrilineal marriage at the same time.

Basically, marry your heir into an equivalent title, then become him and inherit your old one (or inherit your old one then the new one).

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Keep chancellor on statecraft at all times to reduce threat, convert to heresy and fight the whole world for land.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Playing Norse pagan rules, I just look around and see who I can conquer and then their poo poo is mine.

Turning off diplomatic range does some fucky stuff, I ended up with a city in Tibet through inheritance and I didn't even realize it until someone over there decided they wanted it. I'm Denmark. Also someone in India is controlling half of Scotland.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somehow I never realized that step.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

For baronies/counties/duchies, the claimant needs to either be of your dynasty or already landed in your realm for the land to join your blob. For kingdoms it has to be both.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

And a remember, you don't have to give up a slice of your desmense to land claimants. You can build holdings anywhere in your realm, so if you've got a poor duchy with a problem ruler, stick a cheapo castle there and give it to your guy.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

And a remember, you don't have to give up a slice of your desmense to land claimants. You can build holdings anywhere in your realm, so if you've got a poor duchy with a problem ruler, stick a cheapo castle there and give it to your guy.

I can't believe in all this time I never thought of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

abrosheen posted:

I can't believe in all this time I never thought of that

Agreed!

Maybe next time I'll do better on my Ironman Mali game.

• Locked thread