Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azhais posted:

Just look for glowing yellow flowers and you'll be fine. I've died precisely twice so far, both times due to plasma grenading myself frantically right clicking to get out of the base building menu

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Good to know I'm not the only one.

It's all the game's fault, I don't leave my grenades as my default right click, but since there's one button for everything every time I pick up my mobile scanner my secondary weapon changes

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Big McHuge posted:

Post-patch PS4- Frigates are still damaged, but only showing "0" damaged modules instead of "1" now, so I guess that's progress, maybe?

You might be reading the info wrong like I was, are you looking at the little colored pips? Like you have 3 green and a red? I checked closer in the frigate info on my freighter and that red isn't a broken component, it was a "clumsy drill operator" and was why my combat frigate was poo poo at mining. So it's just a deficiency.

Also I got a new freighter recently, went from a smallish Galleon class to a Sentinel Dreadnought. During the purchase I didn't see any option to transfer the cargo, like I don't think there was a comparison screen ever like when buying new ships but it also seemed like it glitched a bit and skipped a screen that flashed for a second. Is there usually a chance to transfer stuff when swapping freighters? I mean I probably won't anytime soon unless I find another Dreadnought but with a 48 slot capacity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

No, your save is locked in once you start (you can have multiple saves). You can also only MP with players of the same gametype.

Gotcha.

Starblade_15 on PS4 if anyone wants to add me. I'll be putzing around putting all my half-assedest X3 station building skills to good use on bases and freighters.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Brightman posted:

You might be reading the info wrong like I was, are you looking at the little colored pips? Like you have 3 green and a red? I checked closer in the frigate info on my freighter and that red isn't a broken component, it was a "clumsy drill operator" and was why my combat frigate was poo poo at mining. So it's just a deficiency.

Nope, it's got an overlay that says damaged module, it appears red when I'm flying around in space, and when I land on each of them they give me a message indicating that there is damage. Prior to the patch, when I got out it listed a single damaged module, but said module wasn't appearing anywhere. Now it's saying "0" damaged modules to repair. I can walk around for a bit, and when I take off it will give me the Frigate Repair Complete message, but then go immediately back to being broken.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Big McHuge posted:

Nope, it's got an overlay that says damaged module, it appears red when I'm flying around in space, and when I land on each of them they give me a message indicating that there is damage. Prior to the patch, when I got out it listed a single damaged module, but said module wasn't appearing anywhere. Now it's saying "0" damaged modules to repair. I can walk around for a bit, and when I take off it will give me the Frigate Repair Complete message, but then go immediately back to being broken.

I have 1 damaged module but it doesn't show up anywhere on the actual Frigate. :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stare-Out posted:

I have 1 damaged module but it doesn't show up anywhere on the actual Frigate. :(

Mine was the same, after I sent it out on a mission it still shows damaged but now 0 components. Improvement! :toot:

But I wish it would stop showing red.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Azhais posted:

It's all the game's fault, I don't leave my grenades as my default right click, but since there's one button for everything every time I pick up my mobile scanner my secondary weapon changes

The one time I died was when I got a multi tool with the geology cannon on it and decided to try it out thinking it'd be like a faster terrain manipulator. To be fair it does say it will damage any organic matter nearby.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

beats posted:

I'm starting to think this game was actually designed by aliens.

Worse... programmers.

Getting the feeling Sean Murray likes his static objects.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Azhais posted:

NMS: Hold X to tag.

Also NMS: LOL it was actually the land button you nub, enjoy wasting the thruster fuel.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

NMS: Hold X to tag.

Also NMS: LOL it was actually the land button you nub, enjoy wasting the thruster fuel.

Replace X with square and this was a whole lot of my experience last night flying around a planet trying to find an abandoned ship I flew away from. Related question, is there a way to find or tag a waypoint that you've activated?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Big McHuge posted:

Oh, and I don't think there's a way to just dismiss a frigate, if it's not a super good one that you could replace you could just send it on suicide missions...although I'm not even sure if that'll kill them or if they'll just come back broken, but maybe coming back broken would actually let you fix it?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Worse... programmers.

Getting the feeling Sean Murray likes his static objects.

To compound the storage containers confusion and problems I think the ones you build on the freighter aren't linked, but I didn't test it out much. I just seem to recall it being an option to send it to storage containers either on my base or on my freighter when transferring things. That was my old freighter though and I didn't build more storage on the new one yet because I have a bug where they don't integrate into the walls and instead there's just a gap there for you to potentially fall through and die from.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 31, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I just want a simple container with 10 slots that hold stacks of 250. :negative:

Edit:
Things I enjoy about NMS after 15 hours of play:
Exploring
Finding new animals and plants
Interacting with the aliens

Things I do not enjoy:
crafting
Space combat

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 31, 2018

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just got an S-class Frigate, sent it on an easy mission and just a couple of minutes later it was critically damaged, same thing, says there's two damaged components, I repair one and the other one is nowhere to be seen. I leave the Friagte and the quest to repair it completes but it's still hosed.

Screw the Freighter crap until they fix this.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was just flying around looking for a flatish spot to start building and I came across the first crashed freighter I ever found - drat they're big when you stand next to one.

Has anyone found a Sentinel setting for a planet that sounds worse than "Frenzied"? It was such a nice planet but I left there in a real hurry.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm currently hanging around trading posts trying to snag a good ship. I see plenty of good looking ones, and several with good stats, but nothing yet that's both good looking and good stats. I grabbed a pretty nice A-class fighter that I thought looked pretty good until I hopped in and realized that it's only got a wing on one side. It seems like the RNG is on a big asymmetry kick right now.

Stare-Out posted:

Screw the Freighter crap until they fix this.

Yeah I'm pretty much ignoring everything about the freighter for now. Plus it seems to induce crashes a lot more whenever I'm near it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Brightman posted:

To compound the storage containers confusion and problems I think the ones you build on the freighter aren't linked, but I didn't test it out much. I just seem to recall it being an option to send it to storage containers either on my base or on my freighter when transferring things. That was my old freighter though and I didn't build more storage on the new one yet because I have a bug where they don't integrate into the walls and instead there's just a gap there for you to potentially fall through and die from.

My major beef with storage containers on freighters is that they take up a room slot but are only modeled to snap properly to the end of hallways or doorways, so if you build them facing an open room, there are giant gaps in the walls that you can simply walk through and clip yourself inside your freighter (which I found out the hard way).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also I got a delivery mission that keeps sending me back and forth between two systems, always claiming it's in the other one. :downs:

I'd really love this game if it wasn't completely broken.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Perhaps spending ten dollars on this was hasty. :stare:

Guess I'll find out!

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
So sad when you start a new save file, get a sweet starting planet then crash to desktop before reaching the ship to save the game :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

Guess I'll find out!

No it's totally worth $10

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If I get a new multitool, I lose all of my module enhancements that are on my previous one right?

So since I don't have the formula to build them, as I just bought them outright, does that mean I need to buy them again?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like my home base planet doesn’t regenerate resources like it used to before Next. My old game, things would regenerate around my base after a few hours, but I’m having to go further and further afield for basics.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Did something change on PC since yesterday? I've been trying to play today but I'm getting atrocious framerate and multiple CTDs on a planet that was a near-solid 30 fps just yesterday

Yeah I know PC performance is kind of crap right now, but that just seems especially weird

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I just want a simple container with 10 slots that hold stacks of 250. :negative:

Edit:
Things I enjoy about NMS after 15 hours of play:
Exploring
Finding new animals and plants
Interacting with the aliens

Things I do not enjoy:
crafting
Space combat

Check out creative mode, it’s all the fun exploration and discovery parts but none of the tiresome crafting/grinding.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

theblackw0lf posted:

If I get a new multitool, I lose all of my module enhancements that are on my previous one right?

So since I don't have the formula to build them, as I just bought them outright, does that mean I need to buy them again?

yes to both. I've got half my inventory consumed with new multitool modules, just need to find a drat multitool

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

theblackw0lf posted:

Yes, unfortunately you can't transfer installed mods, but you can disassemble them before you trade out your old tool to get some resources and tech modules at least.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

Did something change on PC since yesterday? I've been trying to play today but I'm getting atrocious framerate and multiple CTDs on a planet that was a near-solid 30 fps just yesterday

Yeah I know PC performance is kind of crap right now, but that just seems especially weird

I've had the same experience, using a I5-6600k and Rx580 i went from fairly solid 50-60fps the other day to crashing super super often last night. I thought it might have been due to forcing triple buffer/vsync to always on in the amd control panel, but i seem to crash just as often with them off so I'm fairly sure it was whatever patch they pushed out.

As I bitched about in my post just a few up, i crashed before reaching my starting ship 3 or 4 times before finally getting a new save going. I think all in all i played for 1 hour and ended up with a 7 minute save file to show for it. Honestly if I wasn't out of the standard 2h time range i might refund on steam and just get the $10 ps4 copy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Guess I'll find out!

I got mine for 7 euros late last year so I'm not complaining about the price factor. 10 bucks is a bargain for what it is, and a steal for what it will/could be.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
What's a good way to grind nanites?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
In the last patch my crowning achievement was getting to the center of the galaxy on Hardcore, so here are some tips for all types of players, but this list is mostly geared towards new players.

1. Learn how to boost jump. To do this, melee attack and then jetpack at practically the same time (melee attack comes first). This will make you move significantly faster then just running and boosting.
2. You can outrun pirates that scan you quite easily. Just continue boosting in one direction and eventually you can hyperdrive again.
3. Landing at designated landing spots on planets will save you time hunting for fuel to takeoff, and also protect you from when you get a planet with really crappy conditions. You can also call your ship to places with a landing pad (or post) with a navigational data and it will not cost you any fuel to do so.
4. Sentinels are pretty easy to avoid once you know what you are doing. They always appear on your hud with a white arrow pointing to a nearby one. To be safe, just don't mine when they are around. If they turn blue, you can either run, or just let them scan you (and not do any more mining until they do).
5. Escaping from Sentinels are pretty easy, as long as you have learned to boost jump. Just try to break line of sight and keep moving, don't mine while being chased because that seems to reset the chase timer, even when they can't see you do it.
6. Always try to keep a full stack of the important materials for your survival, these are Oxygen, Carbon and Sodium. You should get the cargo exosuit upgrade when you choose a slot (click the icon on the backpack itself when you are in the inventory), and place these in there.
7. Scan every plant and animal you come across. Also make sure to upload your discoveries, as it gives you additional nanites which are used for upgrades.
8. Hate a planet and everything in it? Just leave, as there are plenty of other planets out there with the resources you need.
9. Once you get a AtlasPass v1, you should have this permanently in your inventory, as it's best function opens those long red cylinder containers on the ground that contain things that will help you build warp fuel (or it just gives it to you outright). With this upgrade, in the beginning of the game, I've rarely had to craft my own fuel. v2 and v3 are basically worthless, so don't worry about those.
10. Certain base blueprints only open up when you do the base quests, for example beacons which mark a location on a world, or different exocraft. To even start these you need to place a round room and then the quest line will begin. Keep in mind you will need a door to do this. overseer station somewhere in your base.
11. Do the base station quests as soon as you can. One of these opens the medium refiner which, while not portable, can combine elements to get way better yields on chromatic metals, amongst a ton of other stuff. The countdown for the next item when doing these station quests do not begin until you build the last item it suggests.
12. If you are trying to scan all the creatures on a world, typically they have this sort of combination for worlds with water: 2 flying, 2 normal fish, 1 predator fish, 1 creature that lives in caves, and everything else). Occasionally some creatures will only come out at night. When you get all the creatures scanned on a world you have to click and hold on the paw icon next to the number of creatures in the discovery menu to get your nanite reward.
13. Ships that land at the trading post have different items for sale then the actual trading computer and the space station. Later in the game you can buy most of what you need here, rather then actually mining. You can upgrade your ship to scan for these trading posts automatically.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 31, 2018

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Am I correct in seeing that I have to build a large circular room to advance the base quests, then a terminal inside that room, but there's no way to get in to that room? :psyduck:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Am I correct in seeing that I have to build a large circular room to advance the base quests, then a terminal inside that room, but there's no way to get in to that room? :psyduck:

You can build the terminal in a wooden shack.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

You have to buy the door blueprint from the blueprint scanner with salvaged technology you find in the ground, marked in your scanner by a downward facing arrow.

e: or yeah, the shack

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Oooh ok thanks, my tiny one room shack wasn't big enough for both myself and the terminal.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The_Doctor posted:

Doesn't even need to be a full shack, I built one on just a single floor plate piece.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
How do I start the base quests?

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Doesn't even need to be a full shack, I built one on just a single floor plate piece.

This isn't the terminal quests, this is actually the base quest, where you have to hire different aliens to come work for you. I believe their workstations only can be placed in the circular rooms.

SoulChicken posted:

How do I start the base quests?

In the blueprint scanner, you need to purchase the circular room and the door blueprints, and then plop down one of the circular rooms and add a door. You should then be able to place a overseer'er terminal.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 31, 2018

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

What's a good way to grind nanites?

I had decent luck grabbing about ten stations' worth of overlapping quests (scan minerals, kill sentinels, scan flora). You can hand them in to just one dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What do you guys mean by station quests? When you ask them for directions? Perhaps I just haven't locked more stuff yet, because the mission guy won't say anything to me.