Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ryukish07's writing style is fairly rough for a beginnier but learning jp is rewarding imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Mindblast posted:

Finished Umineko Ch3. I was skeptic as gently caress but at the final moment I still started thinking "well what do you know, maybe things are better" and then Beato proclaims that they're getting hungry and I was pretty like "oh gently caress". There was no reason to suspect that getting to the golden land didn't involve getting eaten alive, but I still began to lower my guard. Guess I'll find out if everything regarding Virgillia was bullshit.

Dunked status: on.

Waithold the phone. Regarding the 6 way locked room how can the old maid be part of the dead 6 when she's also Virgilia. What the gently caress Virgilia even calmly proclaims Kumasawa's body is in one of those rooms and it flies over everyone that she's talking about herself in the third person.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
While we're talking about Umineko, am I the only one that feels Ryukishi could really benefit from an editor? I like his writing overall, but there are a lot of "characters explain stuff" scenes that just go on and on for way longer than necessary, and several episodes with significant pacing issues. I feel I would enjoy Umineko a lot more after two or three competent editing passes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

ryukish07's writing style is fairly rough for a beginnier but learning jp is rewarding imo
I think VNs are a reasonable way to practice too, there's tools to help you with kanji and a good mix of listening and reading.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Language studying doesn't get much more convenient than sticking a text hooking program to a VN.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

OTOH I've always found vns way too drat wordy when I'm not at my English reading speed of as fast as the text can be displayed so ymmv

e: actually i played the utawarerumono remake on vita just fine so i guess it depends on the game. shocking

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 29, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally hit the True Route of Chaos; Child, this had better be less depressing than literally everything else that's happened.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 29, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

While we're talking about Umineko, am I the only one that feels Ryukishi could really benefit from an editor? I like his writing overall, but there are a lot of "characters explain stuff" scenes that just go on and on for way longer than necessary, and several episodes with significant pacing issues. I feel I would enjoy Umineko a lot more after two or three competent editing passes.

Nah, I agree. A bit more room to breathe would've helped, too. IIRC, the odd-numbered episodes tended to be messier than the even episodes because he had less time to work on them - something to do with Comiket's scheduling.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sakurazuka posted:

Finally hit the True Route of Chaos; Child, this had better be less depressing than literally everything else that's happened.

:rip:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Someday when I am desperate enough to read a new VN, someone will convince me to go through Chaos;Child (or Danganronpa 3). Today is not that day though, thank god.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ytlaya I can't quote you directly for fear of seeing later spoilers but

quote:

The one thing I'll say is to not bother trying to solve the epitaph, because it is basically impossible to solve unless you know Japanese.

As long as it's basically futile to puzzle out on my own anyway....how close were they with the wordplay in 3? I spent like ten minutes flipping between EN and JP on the system menu to check what kanji were in peoples' names. I kind of think the sweetfish river might be the family rank as defined in Ep1 or something like that. Sweetfish going out to sea and returning would be like the siblings going out into the world and returning to Rokkenjima, that kind of thing. ...although now that I think about it they might have discussed literally exactly this when they talk about Maria and I don't remember what the refutation is.

e: the Characters screen in Ep4 is very interesting very quickly

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 30, 2018

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Someday when I am desperate enough to read a new VN, someone will convince me to go through Chaos;Child (or Danganronpa 3). Today is not that day though, thank god.

Danganronpa v3 is good. you should give it a shot

Edit, The last few pages have made me want to re-read umineko

Sefal fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 30, 2018

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nate RFB posted:

That someone is going to be yourself and you know it.

Sefal posted:

Danganronpa v3 is good. you should give it a shot

Edit, The last few pages have made me want to re-read umineko

Isn't it literally the biggest vn that has been translated? Clannad was something like 1.6 million characters and Umineko is at something like 2.2+ million.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Trailer for "Heaven Will Be Mine" a queer oriented sci-fi novel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EGxmmzXYtc

Looks pretty dope

From the same team that created "We Know The Devil" for those that played that one.

From the description on the Steam page

quote:

It’s 1981, and the dream of a new home in space for all humanity is dead. After fighting for decades against an intangible and ephemeral existential threat from beyond the solar system, Earth command has declared the war effort a huge waste of time. The honeymoon is over, and a future of glittering cities across the solar system and cosmic battles between giant robots just isn’t going to happen. The outcome is clear: it’s time to come home.

But we don’t care. Giant robots may not make any sense. Celestial cities across the solar system are silly dreams. They are, however, extremely awesome. We, the girls who were raised in space, to be special and incredible and pave the way for a new future, aren’t giving up so easily. We’ve got invincible Ship-Selves for ferrying human bodies through time and space, and we have the weight and power to make a fantasy of the future real.

We’re not going out without a fight.

From the Creators of We Know The Devil

Heaven Will Be Mine is a queer science fiction mecha visual novel from the creators of queer cult horror visual novel We Know The Devil, about joyriding mecha, kissing your enemies, and fighting gravity’s pull. Follow three women piloting giant robots in the last days of an alternate 1980s space program fighting for humanity’s future—or ditching their jobs to make out with each other instead.

Experience the story from the perspective of three pilots bound by fate and gravity: veteran ace Luna-Terra, overwhelming super psychic Pluto, and hacker-hijacker Saturn as they fight across three different factions in an eight day war. Your choices decide if they become clandestine lovers or passionate rivals, and which faction’s ultimate plan for humanity’s fate in space and beyond will be realized. Win for your ideals or lose for love, and grasp heaven in your hands.

Co-Creators Aevee Bee, Founder of Mammonmachine: ZEAL and critic of games by and for weirdos, and illustrator & cartoonist Mia Schwartz reprise their roles as writer and artist respectively, Alec Lambert (We Know The Devil) returns with a surreal and cosmic soundtrack of lo-fi, deep tech electronics and Christopher Simon joins the team with gorgeous retro UI aesthetics. Developed in collaboration with Pillow Fight.

Features:
Multiple Playable Protagonists: Watch the narrative unfold from the perspective of one of the three main characters.
A Battle For The Fate Of Space: Your choices determine which of three factions will emerge victorious and determine the fate of space—but if you just pick based on who you wanna kiss, we won’t get mad.
A Rich World To Explore: Look through chat logs and emails to understand the rise and fall of the space program, and the end of their many dreams.

For mature audiences. Features fantasy violence, body horror and discussion of sexuality, abuse and trauma.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 31, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I did one route of it and it was pretty alright and enjoyable.

I relate a lot to Saturn in a some ways. Which really makes me question myself. Because they are a disaster.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I finally started playing Shuffle!. I've seen the anime so there's not really gonna be any big surprises but Kaede's "purpose in life" routine is an immediate :frogsiren:

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Muv-Luv Alternative: I had thought it was a wasted opportunity that there's no rematch between Yuuko and Takahashi the limo driver. Then I learned Takahashi is the pilot of the Yuunagi, the first captain to sacrifice himself in the final orbital drop. So in a way, he did participate in one final race, and won.
:negative:

Regarding the ending, it was as emotional as you let it be. Obviously they show you the happiest possible ending in the best universe from Takeru's perspective, but if you take some time outside of the game to think about the outcome within the Alternative universe, it can still hit you: aside from one member, Isumi's Valkyries are all gone. Admittedly the way they dealt with the main cast at the very end was too forced and drawn out, which detracted from the ending -- learning about even Takahashi's final involvement arguably hit harder given how subtle and quick it was compared to the main cast. So there's some burden on the player to go back and create a more meaningful narrative.

After beating the game, one of the best parts during a replay (for Steam achievements) is the final sendoff music video before the orbital drop. It carries much more meaning when you realize all those characters already know the main cast are going to die. It's more fitting than the final scenes after the mission.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Irritated Goat posted:

I finally started playing Shuffle!. I've seen the anime so there's not really gonna be any big surprises

I hate to be the one to say it, but the original shuffle was terrible and the anime was actually an improvement over the source material.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Shuffle had a potentially interesting setting and proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ryoga posted:

I hate to be the one to say it, but the original shuffle was terrible and the anime was actually an improvement over the source material.

:shrug: It's a favorite of mine in a harem setting just cause it actually had a drat ending so I'll give the VN a shot. Hell, this time I get to at least see more character stuff with the other ladies.

I'm in the mood for easy going stuff so Shuffle works. My only other choices are Nekopara, KaraKara, or Princess Evangile.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you want some easygoing poo poo, play Kindred Spirits if you haven't already. That game is so relaxing and good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I reviewed Bad Apple Wars & Period cube:

http://knightime.net/bad-apple-wars-review/
http://knightime.net/period-cube-review/

Definitely the weaker plot-wise otome out in 2017 but maybe if you've completed every other game.

Final rankings:

Code: Realize
Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk
Code: Realize FB
Psychedelica of the Black Butterfly
Norn:9
CollarxMalice
Period Cube
Bad Apple Wars
7'scarlet

Alder fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 14, 2018

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Had a chuckle at that 7scarlet rating, I admit.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Umineko ch6: Regarding the closed room puzzle, they never explicitly say it, but is one of the solutions involving the chain on the door? After Erika repairs the chain using tape, I kept thinking back to the cheese puzzle with Battler's creative solution of bending the cheese. And the twin love demons keep talking about the hint being something you figure out by looking at lovers. Putting those together, I guessed that the tape is stretchy tape. Lovers always want to stick together even if you try to pull them apart. So the two halves of the chain can be stretched apart to make a long chain, yet they still stick together without breaking the seal.

Umineko ch7: Love the one-time horror sequence involving Shannon. The horror aspect is so out of the blue yet confirms your suspicions from the ch6 reveal.

Umineko ch8: When Battler and Erika are fighting, they mention a long chain on the door. I feel like this was another hint retroactive to the chapter 6 closed room.

End of ch8: It kept on going, didn't it. I kept thinking it was going to end and they kept adding more. Especially when Auau/Tohya said something about an author needing to know when to end a story, I thought that would be pretty much the end, but nope. My friend's theory is that the Umineko writer wanted to end it there and Auau's line was an apologetic self-insert, but unfortunately the game's publisher demanded more words, so the ending kept going longer than it needed to.

Great game.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TalkLittle posted:

End of ch8: It kept on going, didn't it. I kept thinking it was going to end and they kept adding more. Especially when Auau/Tohya said something about an author needing to know when to end a story, I thought that would be pretty much the end, but nope. My friend's theory is that the Umineko writer wanted to end it there and Auau's line was an apologetic self-insert, but unfortunately the game's publisher demanded more words, so the ending kept going longer than it needed to.

Great game.

Umineko’s a doujin game - completely self published. EP8 does go on too long but the actual ending is perfect imo; I wouldn’t shorten any of the tea party.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
The skip function seems to stop working after a certain point with the Fata Morgana demo. Is there any way to deal with that?

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I recall using the skip function through the whole demo to see the extra bit at the end, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working. Is there an option for "Skip unread text" maybe?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I recall using the skip function through the whole demo to see the extra bit at the end, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working. Is there an option for "Skip unread text" maybe?

This is the config menu. I haven't seen a "skip unread text" option yet. Skip seems to work fine for things I've already read though.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 28, 2018

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I finished Chapter 2 of Umineko (along with the tea party and ???), and yeah that was pretty wild! Here's some things I've been thinking about :

So this ??? made me think about something that's been on my mind for a while. As the reader, we are being shown scenes, like the ??? and the various demon goats / tea parties / light saber fights which seem to be obvious magic. This would make Battler's objection to it all pretty silly, sure maybe he doesn't see all this but we do. So his fight is somewhat meaningless in our eyes, since we 'know' magic is real. Who cares if Battler can explain some of these deaths through practical means, it doesn't matter since we know magic exists. I've reconciled this so far by believing Battler's fight to be more symbolic, he's trying to fight against Beatrice's power the only way he can.

However, I'd like to think there's somehow a non-magical explanation to everything. This includes Lambadelta and Berkenstel. So how? You could explain away some of the stuff the characters see in episode 2 as mass hallucinations but I find that to be very unsatisfying. No, I want all that stuff to have "happened" yet not be magical.

Then I think of it like this. To someone from ancient history, things like a gun would be seen as magic. Magic is just an explanation for something we can't comprehend. Maybe the same is true here. These "witches" perhaps are just people with a greater understanding of the world, and their manipulations look like magic to us only because they are so advanced. They could also be aliens for all I know as well, but I would like to think they are simply humans with some kind of advanced knowledge.

I've also been toying with the idea that there is a third, or perhaps fourth layer to the narrative.

The first layer is the game, playing out in Rokkenjima.

The second is Battler and Beatrice in Purgatory, overseeing the game and debating over it.

The third, perhaps, is the interactions between the witches. I'm not sure if this would be a real layer on its own, or just an extension of the second.

The other layer is Beatrice/the witches vs. The Reader. After all, everyone has to believe in the witch's power, and that might include the reader. That is why we can see scenes like ??? or the murders in episode 2, perhaps Beatrice is playing a second game with those.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Just got done with Fata Morgana Requiem. That was pretty good, but I'm sad that it's over. Is there anything else out there that's as good as Fata Morgana? :smith:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

umineko, my posts

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So what was the thread consensus on fatal twelve? In thinking of buying it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Meallan posted:

I think only one person played it; they seemed to like it?

The demo should still be available; I played that and it failed to sway me either way. I think I'm still on "wait for a sale".

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
fatal twelve is good. it is not fata morgana good but few things are.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I enjoyed fatal twelve. The ending was a little too easy imo, and it's lacking that certain something to elevate it from good to great, but it's still good. Fairly short too which is always a plus in the genre.

It didn't get mentioned before but it's also a rare example of yuri that's not just a pure romance vn which I imagine some people would definitely be interested in.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there no release date for London Detective Mysteria yet?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I think the translator has spoken about having a really hard time keeping deadlines for that one on Twitter. I think she took a lot of time because she went through a lot of effort to make ol English.

I'm simultaneously excited to see what comes out of her intensive research (she literally read the Sherlock and lupin short stories to get their voice, holy) but also... why are works this big entirely done and edited by a single person haha.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Meallan posted:

I like it a lot. I was surprised by how positive it is. I expected it to be much edgier.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

428 Shibuya Scramble is now out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm cautiously excited.

Do we know whether the English release includes Canaan as well?