Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

I'm kind of failing to see an actual problem with that.

respect the sanctity of video games motherfcuker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The trick is to wait and then flip the statue on ebay for double what you paid for it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

That's only true for scalar values, not for set theory.

All baseballs are balls, but not all balls are baseballs.

sorry you must've missed the part where i ended my post with QED

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cosplaying used to be about the GAMES. Now it’s all commercial!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Where does Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online fall?

lesbians dealing with anger issues by playing an fps together

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I care about video games! I care about video games a lot!

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I care about video games! I care about video games a lot!

I like to have fun and enjoy things :aaa:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

lesbians dealing with anger issues by playing an fps together

Some of them are bi.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you, a fool who's probably never even played a video game as far as i know: i am cosplaying as this character because i like how they look

me, a genius who has played every video game across the seven seas: Personally, I am cosplaying Colonel Jade Curtiss because I believe his incredible wit and intelligence matches my own, and also I care about video games

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The worst isekai show is still Aura Battler Dunbine tbh.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think one morally good thing you could do instead of spending extra on an Assassin’s Creed figurine is buying a sculpture or something from a local artist!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace posted:

The worst isekai show is still Aura Battler Dunbine tbh.

the worst isekai is star ocean 3

the best isekai is klonoa 1

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

what the hell is isekai

now that you've invoked Klonoa i must know

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the wizard of oz

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chumbler posted:

I'm kind of failing to see an actual problem with that.

Its just kinda weird. Like imagine if my favorite thing was wearing baseball jerseys in public but I don't actually care about baseball or the team's shirt I'm wearing. But I go out of my way to dress in perfect uniform all the time.

Like my outfit? Yeah, its great, I spent hours on it. Who? The Yankees? I dunno I just thought it was a cool pattern.

At that point, just get into fashion instead?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

what the hell is isekai

now that you've invoked Klonoa i must know

it just means Another World

so, technically Another World is isekai

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Personally I don't get the cosplayers that dress up and then knock on my door demanding candy.

Like how do they even know I have candy to begin with? It's my candy you selfish fucks.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How widespread is this genre of anime that it has its own term used in English?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Raxivace posted:

Personally I don't get the cosplayers that dress up and then knock on my door demanding candy.

Like how do they even know I have candy to begin with? It's my candy you selfish fucks.

They're usually thirsty from running around the block so feel free to hose them down with some free water.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

thanks now i'll forever remember that genre as out of this world because i'm a filthy american

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why are y'all talking about Ni No Kuni

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The only thigns I remember about Escaflowne was that the DVD menus had monks chanting "Esca-flow-ne" and if you let it sit for a few minutes they started sing-chanting "push the button".

I also remember it having some real good music. The OVA movie thing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYf7NluE5D4

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I barely remembered anything about Escaflowne so I went back and watched it earlier this year and quite liked it.

The movie is kind of "eh" overall though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just kinda weird. Like imagine if my favorite thing was wearing baseball jerseys in public but I don't actually care about baseball or the team's shirt I'm wearing. But I go out of my way to dress in perfect uniform all the time.

Like my outfit? Yeah, its great, I spent hours on it. Who? The Yankees? I dunno I just thought it was a cool pattern.

At that point, just get into fashion instead?

At some point that kind of drifts into saying people aren't liking things the right way, which is weird and kind of self defeating.

And fashion would certainly be more interesting if everyone dressed like they were in a video game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How dare these fake gamer girls wear the clothes of my beloved 2B...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

And fashion would certainly be more interesting if everyone dressed like they were in a video game.

first we'd all have to be as attractive as the average video game character

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

How widespread is this genre of anime that it has its own term used in English?

it's a popular enough trend right now that light novel competitions have banned it

it's not literally all of anime, it's just a genre of light novel that gets a few adaptations every season

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
What's funny is I do really like raglan shirts but find baseball intolerably dumb and boring to me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think cosplayers just as often as they dress up as characters they like, dress up as characters because they just like the outfit and think it'll look good on them or do it because they have an online presence and know it'll get them clicks and/or $$$. There is really nothing wrong with any of these reasons.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the weird thing about escaflowne is that it's very definitely a story about the school girl but apparently the dub that got aired on fox kids cut out a bunch of her scenes to try and make it an action anime about her love interest

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

does a light novel competition consist of putting two paperbacks in a steel cage and having them punch each other until they get brain damage

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

does a light novel competition consist of putting two paperbacks in a steel cage and having them punch each other until they get brain damage

no

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

they call it read or die

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

the weird thing about escaflowne is that it's very definitely a story about the school girl but apparently the dub that got aired on fox kids cut out a bunch of her scenes to try and make it an action anime about her love interest

Didn't CCS do the same thing in the dub

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

Didn't they also give up on the show part way through dubbing it or something?

I barely remember watching episodes of it on Fox Kids, but the whole thing just seems like a bad fit for what they were going for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think cosplayers just as often as they dress up as characters they like, dress up as characters because they just like the outfit and think it'll look good on them or do it because they have an online presence and know it'll get them clicks and/or $$$. There is really nothing wrong with any of these reasons.

I just feel like cosplaying stuff that isn't even out yet is buying real hard into the corporation's wishes, super consumerist. Same with buying figurines for games that aren't out yet.

There's soooo many fictional characters you can dress up as that already exist.

Instead you dress up as like captain phasma before star wars is even out, and then find out she's basically not even in the movie. Its putting the cart before the horse.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I just feel like cosplaying stuff that isn't even out yet is buying real hard into the corporation's wishes, super consumerist. Same with buying figurines for games that aren't out yet.

There's soooo many fictional characters you can dress up as that already exist.

Instead you dress up as like captain phasma before star wars is even out, and then find out she's basically not even in the movie. Its putting the cart before the horse.

On the other hand, who cares

Just dress up as whatever if you want to dress up

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Escaflowne and Princess Mononoke were the first anime I ever saw as a kid. Escaflowne isn't my all time favorite but the robots were cool (even if robots with swords is kinda silly)

I liked most of it although the subplot about the people with a 'luck gene' was super dumb.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

Didn't CCS do the same thing in the dub

i wouldn't be surprised

anime dubs in the late 90s/mid 2000s were pretty dire for doing stuff like that and like, sailor moon s' dub rewriting the lesbian couple to be. uh. cousins.

Raxivace posted:

Didn't they also give up on the show part way through dubbing it or something?

I barely remember watching episodes of it on Fox Kids, but the whole thing just seems like a bad fit for what they were going for.

i wouldn't be surprised, she only becomes a bigger focus as the show goes on so editing her out would be hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

If there's a character you really like and you cosplay as them that's kinda cool, but cosplaying as a character from a game that isn't even released is just like, admitting you just wanna play dress up and like how the character looks but don't give a poo poo about videogames.
This is such a bad take you that should feel sorry for yourself.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 31, 2018

• Locked thread