Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Communist Walrus posted:

Sir I will have you know that my lineage will one day produce the kwisatz haderach

Not if the capitalists control the spice, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

PS4's only cost a hundred bucks now?

Edit: It's three hundred bucks this video is bullshit!!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

puppets freak me out posted:

Yeah, they were deeply troubled and desperate, and not thinking completely logically.

It's a hard mindset to understand if you haven't been there (or close to it).

This is what really terrifies me about being a conscious being - that I could find myself so deep into despair and mental illness that I lose most or all of my ability to think things through or discern rational thoughts from irrational thoughts to the point where I fling myself out of a window with a wife and kids left behind. I've been close-ish to that place, it's some intense bullshit.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This is why ISIS hates us.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

To help save the world, become a banker not a doctor

quote:

One woman started her career as a teacher, but doubted she was actually making any impact. Inspired by 80,000 Hours, she decided to work for an investment bank instead, calculating that she would have much more money to donate.

quote:

Medicine is another obvious profession for do-gooders. It is not one, however, on which 80,000 Hours is very keen. Rich countries have plenty of doctors, and even the best clinicians can see only one patient at a time. So the impact that a single doctor will have is minimal. Gregory Lewis, a public-health researcher, estimates that adding an additional doctor to America’s labour supply would yield health benefits equivalent to only around four lives saved.

quote:

A plastic surgeon who donates half of her earnings to charity will probably have much bigger social impact on the margin than an emergency-room doctor who donates none.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

What is your maximum efficiency, human?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

No doctors, no teachers, only bankers.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Clearly we should employ everyone as an investment Banker to move digits back and forth and "create" wealth.

Lol no actually any economist worth their salt will tell you the finance industry isn't actually generating poo poo and is for the overwhelmingly most part just one big rent seeking circus.

E: why the hell did my phone auto-capitalize Banker?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I'm the rear end backwards maths that concludes investment bankers save more lives than doctors. Smh.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the mysterious investment Banker donating 100% of income past what the average teacher gets.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

My tablet autocapitalizes a lot of things for no discernible reason.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Outrail posted:

I'm the rear end backwards maths that concludes investment bankers save more lives than doctors. Smh.
The hilarious result of treating laissez-faire capitalism as if it were a religious belief that can never be questioned. Man who produces nothing of value all day makes way more money than teachers and doctors. A rational brain would think this is evidence that the system is hosed up, but since that's not an option, we have to now explain how this somehow leads to more value to humans.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I’m glad that everyone I’ve shown that article to so far despise everything it says.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kuddles posted:

The hilarious result of treating laissez-faire capitalism as if it were a religious belief that can never be questioned. Man who produces nothing of value all day makes way more money than teachers and doctors. A rational brain would think this is evidence that the system is hosed up, but since that's not an option, we have to now explain how this somehow leads to more value to humans.

Richard Wolff posted:

In America, we debate everything except capitalism. If there's an institution in your society that's above criticism, you're giving it a free pass to indulge all of its weaknesses and darker tendencies.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Imagine coming to the conclusion that bankers are more important during a doctor shortage and after bankers irreparablely tanked the economy (and are going to tank it again very soon)

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

kill all bankers imo

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Former DILF posted:

kill all bankers imo

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kill this thread tbh...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

maker posted:

Kill this thread tbh...

:qq:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Capitalism is a terminal mental illness.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

maker posted:

Kill this thread tbh...

That’s it? Your single contribution to a 50 page thread? You gotta have more than that, right?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Burt Sexual posted:

That’s it? Your single contribution to a 50 page thread? You gotta have more than that, right?

He doesn't create any content, just comes in to poo poo on the people who are.

Must be an investment banker!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

maker posted:

Kill this thread tbh...

Sorry class traitor, this thread belongs to the people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The best part about this is the bit where they calculate the overall benefits while ignoring all the negative costs of taking a job role that perpetuates our broken social system

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Elderbean posted:

This is why ISIS hates us.

they seem to have a point.

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rarity posted:

The best part about this is the bit where they calculate the overall benefits while ignoring all the negative costs of taking a job role that perpetuates our broken social system

b-b-but if we just accept and join the system we can change it from within and we will in no way be tempted into the corruptions of our new peers

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
7-11s here have a sticker promo with random plastic poo poo where the hook is that you can’t buy the plastic thing directly, you have to buy other poo poo to get stamps (one stamp for about every $1.67 worth of other stuff you buy) and then turn in six stamps for the privilege of paying another $20 or so for the toy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

7-11s here have a sticker promo with random plastic poo poo where the hook is that you can’t buy the plastic thing directly, you have to buy other poo poo to get stamps (one stamp for about every $1.67 worth of other stuff you buy) and then turn in six stamps for the privilege of paying another $20 or so for the toy.

they stole this business model from Star Citizen

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rutibex posted:

they stole this business model from Star Citizen

yeah my initial thought on that was "oh great, retail is starting to learn from how mobile games fleece people"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

"Baby, why do we have this camera crew following us through the woods?"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

kuddles posted:

neoclassical economics is based on the hilarious premise that if you receive $X then you probably contributed $X of value to the economy

the classical economics of adam smith et al outright reject this premise

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"H-ell! W-orld! H-ell W-orld!" isn't as catchy at baseball games.

Goes nice to the tune of Daaaaaryylllll, Daaaaaryylllll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV8OReMQDs8

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Normal Brain: Hiring someone for child care is expensive.
Galaxy Brain: What if my au pair paid ME???

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The Skeleton King posted:

No doctors, no teachers, only bankers.

If we were all bankers then there'd be no war, because all the soldiers would be bankers. We would be free from want, because we'd all be making that sweet banker money, but I guess we wouldn't be able to buy anything with it because all the factory workers and artisans would also be bankers. In conclusion I hope you have enjoyed my cover letter and thank you for considering me for the position of senior editor at The Economist.

-Timmy, age 7

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GamingHyena posted:

Normal Brain: Hiring someone for child care is expensive.
Galaxy Brain: What if my au pair paid ME???

Fully equipped basement unless you need to eat food

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

jesus storms the temple and blesses the money lenders and merchants for providing so much economic value and enabling the possibility of those in their profession to do more good than the teachers and doctors and common laborers

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I took a dumb call center job in the UK after 'finishing' uni and we had a big chat during 'training' from the union rep and we all joined up with the union. A month later the union won a landslide campaign against the company that we were all contracting for that normalised wages between their employees and the contractors doing the same job. This was a massive massive win.

It was that day that we discovered that all new hires since the campaign had started had a new clause inserted into the contract that specifically stated that they would not be applicable to this change. The way it was worded was incredibly ambiguous and weas designed to only apply retroactivly. This meant that all the new hires for the last 6 months didn't get the payrise, while all the people who had hung on for more than that did (horrible call center job, massive turnover - most staff lasted 6 months).

When we went to the union about it they just came back that they had such a big win they really couldn't afford to rock the boat so soon.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it baffles me that unions are able to sit on their hands and do nothing when the workers ask for something instead of the workers demand the union work according to democratic principles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They are more or less powerless to do anything these days

Like 5-7% of private sector employees in the USA are in a union nowadays?