Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Blackhawk posted:

That owns, looks so frenzied.

I wish I had set a faster shutter there so the wheel had more color in it but hey it turned out cool.

Blackhawk posted:

Tried to get some photos of the blood moon but it was behind thick cloud, so satisfied myself stomping around in the mud looking at trees instead.

Love the first two.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This isn't in Iceland is it? I like it and feel like I took the same shot but in winter.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 27th

Such skinny doors.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

spookygonk posted:

July 27th

Such skinny doors.

Yeah, baby.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

VelociBacon posted:

This isn't in Iceland is it? I like it and feel like I took the same shot but in winter.

No, it's in Denmark. :)

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

This is amazing. To get such a clean image in lowlight without having massive haloes around the strip lights is very impressive.

I went to Bang Sue yesterday to a train graveyard. It involved a trek of about a kilometer through a full-on shanty town with rickety corrugated sheet buildings on stilts above fetid water and narrow boardwalks between them. I didn't take too many pictures of that bit as I'm not a big fan of poverty tourism. The train graveyard was pretty cool though. We went in through a service shed and the guys inside just waved us through. A little while later a security guard came out to yell at me but it turned out that 200 Baht (about $6) was enough to 'buy a licence' for an hour or so of undisturbed shooting. I went through a couple of rolls of 120 there as well as the digital shots.

IMG_5527.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5554.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5566.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5565.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5534.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 30, 2018

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 29, 2018

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Helen Highwater posted:

I went to Bang Sue yesterday ...

I Banged Sue just yesterday. :downsrim:

Seriously though, nice shots, especially the first and last ones.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Hell and yes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah those are real good

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sandlake Road by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

South Beach by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Laguna Del Inca by Mitzalo Reyes, en Flickr

Laguna Del Inca-2 by Mitzalo Reyes, en Flickr

Laguna Del Inca-3 by Mitzalo Reyes, en Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

This is amazing. To get such a clean image in lowlight without having massive haloes around the strip lights is very impressive.

The tripod did all the work. :ssh:

I did drag the highlights down to tame the lights though, unedited they were pretty garish.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 31, 2018

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I dig, the last one the most though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

180703_0073.jpg by Julius Lim, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Two optical illusions in one, get the black dots at the intersections, and I swear the gaps between the thick verticals are bigger at the top than the bottom (but they aren't).

KilroyWasHere
Oct 22, 2005

Columbia
by plicat, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Waldport by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I think the first is better. The second has too many leading lines going all over the picture.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the chaos of those wires going all the gently caress over the place is too good to miss.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

But the chaos of those wires going all the gently caress over the place is too good to miss.

Yeah that's why it works for me, they aren't leading lines in the traditional sense, their chaoticness is the subject

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah same, that's why the 2nd one works for me.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Man, I love how you shoot neon signs. Every shot looks like it could be from a Nicolas Wending Refn movie.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i love ed hopper

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

I think the first is better. The second has too many leading lines going all over the picture.

What are leading lines and where are they in the photo?
Can you draw an overlay?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The talk about obtuse compositions is ringing a faint bell in my memory...

There was a photographer who worked in black & white. He documented natural resource exploitation or environmental degredation. I vaguely remember that one of his photos was of a recently clear-cut forest, with tree trunks or something scattered all around. He had a quote about his approach to the project, and the gist of it was that he tried to utterly eliminate symmetry and traditional aesthetic appeal in order to intensify disgust for the subject matter.

Anyone know who I'm thinking of?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SMERSH Mouth posted:

There was a photographer who worked in black & white. He documented natural resource exploitation or environmental degredation. I vaguely remember that one of his photos was of a recently clear-cut forest, with tree trunks or something scattered all around. He had a quote about his approach to the project, and the gist of it was that he tried to utterly eliminate symmetry and traditional aesthetic appeal in order to intensify disgust for the subject matter.

Black and white and photos of clearcut makes me think Robert Adams.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Carleton E. Watkins

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thom12255 posted:

So, yeah, that's kind of the point. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

MrBlandAverage posted:

So, yeah, that's kind of the point. Sorry.

Everybody has their preferences, no need to apologize.