Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Naked Bear posted:

Holy poo poo, this is a thing.

:mcnally:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

So pumped to work 12 days straight for the second time in a month leading up to a 30 day field problem. The first time I was told I would get "comped on the backend". Complete bullshit, I didn't get comped poo poo. So year sure I'm going to believe you when you say I'm going to get comped this time too.

Even better is this time I get to do this 12 days in the field so I get to try to do my job which heavily requires either email, phone calls, or face to face communication with very limited NIPR connectivity and no cell phone signal. The justification is that "if the companies are going to be in the field the staff is too!" despite the fact that the companies aren't spending more than 3 days in the field as the platoons rotate through STX lanes.

I'm so glad our LTC and 2 MAJ's can pull their wealth of experience in the Army to make the hard decisions and are definitely taking care of soldiers.

I"m not too sure what the field grades are good for other than coming up with new ways to make everything suck even more than it already does.

One of these days I wanna mail you a bottle of Johnnie Walker blue as a thank you. You don't know me but witnessing your visceral suffering has killed all the idealogical bullshit that was in me not less than a year ago. Thanks LT.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I look back at 18 year old me and wonder what kind of crack I was smoking at the time.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

When I was 18, in high school, 2003, and about to ship for basic in a few months, I was seriously worried that the war would be over before I could deploy and get some.

In retrospect, this is so beyond laughable.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
This thread has dissuaded me from ever signing on

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Awesome, you’ve passed the test. Here’s your paperwork to commission now that you demonstrated that you can adjust your mission based on intelligence.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't think I've ever seen someone in the military actually 'get comped on the backend' except for more green weenie fuckin'.

I'm sure it's probably happened to someone at some point, likely accidentally.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Whenever I saw a comp day I always got confirmation at the end of the previous day and then turned my phone off as soon as I got out the gate.

Can't call me back in if you can't call me.

Otherwise you'd get called up at 4 in the morning to get some more of that army dickin'.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Awesome, you’ve passed the test. Here’s your paperwork to commission now that you demonstrated that you can adjust your mission based on intelligence.
Wickerman would be crazy to sign up and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he could get a hefty bonus. If he did sign, he was crazy and would be unfit for service; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and the recruiters would get him to.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sometimes i dream of getting summadatgruntshit. Then Mustang brings me back to earth.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Rat posted:

When I was 18, in high school, 2003, and about to ship for basic in a few months, I was seriously worried that the war would be over before I could deploy and get some.

In retrospect, this is so beyond laughable.

Hey, hello me.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YES YESS

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:chloe:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's hilarious that someone at corps came up with this awesome plan that got dropped on top of us (my bn) that required resourcing 3 miles of C wire within 3 days.

loving genius.

And a god drat BUS?!?!?! Those things are like loving unicorns.

And ice is simply impossible to acquire despite the DFAC, shopette and local grocery stores being stocked full of ice because reasons.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Who cares, see you at 9 am tomorrow chief

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
You're not always going to be able to get ice in Afghanistan, lieuuuutenant. As for the wire , figure it out, make it happen. Consider it a learning opportunity :smug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Mustang's gonna somehow get the bus, but the unit won't have any licensed bus drivers.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mustang posted:

It's hilarious that someone at corps came up with this awesome plan that got dropped on top of us (my bn) that required resourcing 3 miles of C wire within 3 days.

loving genius.

And ice is simply impossible to acquire despite the DFAC, shopette and local grocery stores being stocked full of ice because reasons.
You have an entire goddamn squadron of cavalrymen. They can "find" these things. Just let them go do it.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

mods changed my name posted:

You're not always going to be able to get ice in Afghanistan, lieuuuutenant. As for the wire , figure it out, make it happen. Consider it a learning opportunity :smug:

fuckin train as you fight, one time they shut down road traffic into Bagram and the DFACs ran out of ice cream because the refrigerated trucks couldn't get through and it's times like that you'll really come to appreciate all the harsh, realistic training you went through hooah

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

loving genius.

Imagine that except with all sections. Thats what working at Corps is like.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Now I never worked at a Corps level command but I've worked at a Brigade shop before and I can tell you it definitely gets easier the higher up you go in my experience. Annoying and obnoxiously petty and terrible? Absolutely. Last minute retarded taskings, not nearly as much, that turd has picked up a lot of loving debris on its way down the hill by the time it hits company level and its taken its time getting there too

edit: suffice it to say I can say with PAO thats some completely other poo poo too so I'll give you that, ya'll dealing with so many different other organizations on your own, dnfos and all that and probably AFN and all that so yeah

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Well today's my ETS date so smdftb, I need to get high as gently caress immediately.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mods changed my name posted:

Now I never worked at a Corps level command but I've worked at a Brigade shop before and I can tell you it definitely gets easier the higher up you go in my experience. Annoying and obnoxiously petty and terrible? Absolutely. Last minute retarded taskings, not nearly as much, that turd has picked up a lot of loving debris on its way down the hill by the time it hits company level and its taken its time getting there too

edit: suffice it to say I can say with PAO thats some completely other poo poo too so I'll give you that, ya'll dealing with so many different other organizations on your own, dnfos and all that and probably AFN and all that so yeah

PAO was wild. You had to tell people "no" all the time.

For instance. When Corps was set to receive those troops coming back from that Ebola place, I had to film a Broll package for news. The footage was desolate and for good reason. The troops werent set to come back for another week. Our PAO OIC at I Corps wanted us to get soldiers to populate the place even though it was going to be a quarentine zone. It took me and his SGM going "not a good idea" for them to listen. Even as the OIC was mentioning it I was shaking my head intensely.

I had to battle I Corps, 5th MPAD, and hospital PAO after I planned for months to do a shoot only to have red tape pulled and accomplished nothing. Ended up shooting offsite because hospital PAO basically reneged on their end of the bargain. At AFN, you have garrison command over you as well as AFN, AFN HQ, DMA, and then the Army. My boss told CSM of USAEUR to eat a dick when they tried to make changes and restructure narrative on a video I made. DINFOS is an intense school though. A third of my class washed out at AIT in the first few weeks. Or told straight away "nope. You have an accent."

Because your job is subjective, literally everyone thinks they can do it better. "Aw poo poo I can edit some video together and talk a bit."

Ill put it like this. Good idea fairies have to go somewhere. They get promoted into those jobs. I Corps level PAO was cool and lovely. Cool that it took me TDY places but lovely that there was so much bureaucratic red tape. My NCOIC was a 7 in 7 and tried to give me an article 15 for some poo poo that was his fault and when I proved jt, he still blamed me. Noone respects you because you arent an E7 or a Captain. You are some low pleb E5 with no soldiers and gently caress you Im gonna treat you all like privates and not adults who have obviously shown enough responsibility to be promoted at least once. Drama is rampant brcause people get loving bored of sitting around doing nothing. So you make busy work and now all E6 and below are setting up drash once a month for accountability. Or at AFN, you could overwork your staff while you loudly play Butthole Surfers in your office with the door closed and then walk aroind pegging people with nerf footballs calling them names. Goddamn arsonist of social skills and then complain when there is noone to take part in your fun and psychotic little games around the office like hallway kickball. The standards he loving got from HQ, our requirements, was 2 stories per station a week. He had us at that per person. I had to make 2 loving products and do a radio show for 4 hours which is emotionally loving draining as hell. We also had to do 2 live radio remotes a month. Sometimes they were really loving cool like at the Edelweiss. I went there at least 10 times while I was in Germany and never loving paid. Other times was at poo poo like a PX opening. You know how you make a PX opening entertaining for 3 or 4 hours? You loving don't. You dread the goddamn 3 hour drive there, act excited and make fun of the commander giving a long winded goddamn speech about the integrity of loving nothing and play Katy Perry until its time to drive back to base where you do so in silence because everyone loving hates each other. I had two people over me yell at or insult my wife and was punished when I complained to higher about it.

I had bad leadership, Im sure the grass is greener over there. Next to the weenie.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 31, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Mustang's gonna somehow get the bus, but the unit won't have any licensed bus drivers.

I've had this happen so many loving times it's the only outcome here besides him failing to get the bus.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Gotta love when you double and tripple check where in the field certain elements are going to be to make sure the shitters get to the right spot and they go and change their location the day they actually go into the field and then get all butt hurt that there's no shitters for them and I can't just teleport shitters instantaneously.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Gotta love when you're out and you can take pleasure in the suffering of someone else

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Gotta love when you're out and you can take pleasure in the suffering of someone else

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m still in and I know I can always take comfort that no matter how bad my day is going, Mustang’s is worse.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Shankel Magnus posted:

I’m still out and I know I can always take comfort that no matter how bad my day is going, Mustang’s is worse.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The Germans have a word for that.

Schadenhorny.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Love the thread title.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

lol

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

The Germans have a word for that.

Schadenhorny.

Schadenfreude? 🤔

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

Schadenfreude? 🤔

No, there's a lot more pleasure being undertaken here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

No, there's a lot more pleasure being undertaken here.

:chud:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Hey anybody have a good site where one can purchase those new nike sf boots for less than $150? I thought I saw a site but I feel like I could get them for a lot cheaper. It’s time to trash all my acu poo poo.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I always bought stuff off college ROTC students coming back from LCAC or whatever the gently caress you guys call OCS.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Our BN CSM came to visit us. Every time I see him do anything I get more assured BN CSMs could just be replaced by taking a random drunk hobo, putting him/her into uniform and told that he/she is the most important enlisted person in the battalion and let loose. Even more so If the selected drunk hobo has any sort of untreated mental challenge.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Valtonen posted:

Our BN CSM came to visit us. Every time I see him do anything I get more assured BN CSMs could just be replaced by taking a random drunk hobo, putting him/her into uniform and told that he/she is the most important enlisted person in the battalion and let loose. Even more so If the selected drunk hobo has any sort of untreated mental challenge.

My last CSM would undermine his 1SGs after talking to a junior NCO once. We nearly got drug through the mud because a girl used my 1SG’s (also a woman) open door policy about getting harassed by her NCOIC. The 1SG made a deal with one of the companies to switch her down to being a PAC clerk and bringing their male PAC clerk back to the S1. The NCOIC used the open door policy with the CSM, and even knowing the situation he backed the S1 NCOIC who was doing the harassing. It took like 4 conversations in one day and me having to remind him how stupid it was to even think her being good at her job, and the experience the S1 would lose somehow outweighed her being sexually harassed. Luckily the BC wasn’t an idiot so he backed me as a commander.

Said NCOIC later was kicked out because he broke both EO and Sharp in one outing harassing a black woman from the companies about her sweet N-word pussy juices in front of 5 other people. He was still flagged and being investigated over the aforementioned incident at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I always bought stuff off college ROTC students coming back from LCAC or whatever the gently caress you guys call OCS.

this is my favorite post in the thread right now