Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Huh, I donno then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
When I played Seasons I never bothered getting the boomerang there. Supposedly you need it to hit the switch in the temple but you don't because you can throw a bomb across that gap just fine, which is what I always did because I'm terrible at the dancing minigame.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Season overworld puzzling seems a lot more interesting than time overworld puzzling, mostly because you can have much more obvious tells when something changes in a different season.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the ages time gimmick is a lot more trial-and-error, which tended to annoy me more than anything. with seasons the tells for what might work are typically pretty easy to figure out once you get a sense for it and worst case scenario you take a couple seconds to go to the nearest stump, swing a couple times, and find out that the seasons you have don't let you do what you want to do in that couple of screens yet.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

senrath posted:

I was going based on the SGDQ run from this year where they just said "it's the sixth prize, thanks for voting for him" and got it on the sixth.

I haven't seen it the run yet, but if they are manipulating the RNG (don't know if you can in Seasons) then they could know exactly when it would drop.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
But in that case, wouldn't they manipulate the RNG to make sure it drops in as few dances as possible? I'm inclined to believe there's something else going on here.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

MithosKuu posted:

I haven't seen it the run yet, but if they are manipulating the RNG (don't know if you can in Seasons) then they could know exactly when it would drop.

They manipulated the RNG in other instances and explicitly called it out whenever they did it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I feel badass just reading the dungeon name.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Imagine ThornBrain looking at the map once he gets the dungeon map. Whoa, that would have been cool.

By the way, your Maple encounters in Seasons are just insane.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 25, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Imagine ThornBrain looking at the map once he gets the dungeon map. Whoa, that would have been cool.

By the way, your Maple encounters in Seasons are just insane.

He got the Maple ring equipped doesn't he?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Carbon dioxide posted:

He got the Maple ring equipped doesn't he?

He does, but I was referring to the results.

By the way, what happened to your av? :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

He does, but I was referring to the results.

By the way, what happened to your av? :(

I seriously have no idea. The only somewhat sensible theory I have is that a little while ago I posted a joke in YOSPOS, that was something like "if you run this command your computer will get faster" but it was a command that deletes stuff that your computer needs to run. I made it obvious that it was a joke, and also it was a reply to someone talking about malware that did a similar thing and that also required an user to do something stupid. And if a command is called "delete important folder" it should be quite obvious what it does, especially to the techy crowd in YOSPOS.

I think some idiot ran that command anyway, hosed up their computer, got angry, and bought me this title text.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Looking at the still image, those horns on the inflated Dodongo sprite seem pretty off-model.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

i had to lie down and cry a little bit after that last maple encounter

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Since Maple's been showing up so much, is it possible to dodge her? I've noticed it looks like Thorn can move while she's flying around, can you try to sidestep her or will she swerve to still hit you? Or could you just walk off screen and ignore her?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ousire posted:

Since Maple's been showing up so much, is it possible to dodge her? I've noticed it looks like Thorn can move while she's flying around, can you try to sidestep her or will she swerve to still hit you? Or could you just walk off screen and ignore her?

Yup. Actually, if you want a specific item from her you kinda need to pay attention when her music starts playing because it's easy to just walk off screen and miss her entirely. And she won't return after another X enemies kilked.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The linked game's story starts to properly rear its head.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Those trees did not look right in the area with Rosa.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Silegna posted:

Those trees did not look right in the area with Rosa.

ThornBrain should test if they can speak or spit bombs at you.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Now that we've met Zelda, it's worth mentioning that the Zelda timeline (the first version of which was published a decade after the Oracle games) retconned these games into being a direct sequel to A Link to the Past, with the same Link and Zelda. In fact, the castle with the Triforce in the intro cutscenes is (retroactively) supposed to be Hyrule Castle from ALttP. If we want to make sense of that, we'll probably have to assume that Rosa isn't the only person with memory problems.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Don’t forget Link’s Awakening takes place after this. I’d be so over this bullshit by the third adventure

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm being reminded of just how much more visually interesting seasons is compared to ages

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Doesn't A Link Between Worlds also take place directly following LttP?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Serifina posted:

According to wikipedia, the most reliable source on anything:

• A Link to the Past
  • Oracle of Seasons & Ages
  • Link's Awakening
  • A Link Between Worlds
  • Tri Force Heroes
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • The Adventure of Link

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Serifina posted:

According to Hyrule Historia, 200 years between ALTTP and ALBW.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Silegna posted:

According to Hyrule Historia, 200 years between ALTTP and ALBW.

Huh. Given how it runs I would have thought it was the same Link/Zelda. Unless they're just immortal, ageless beings, I guess!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Serifina posted:

Huh. Given how it runs I would have thought it was the same Link/Zelda. Unless they're just immortal, ageless beings, I guess!

Well Ganon is pretty much exactly that :v: While Link and Zelda reincarnate constantly, the entire three-branch timeline has only one instance of Ganon actually reincarnating; all his other appearances are just the Ocarina of Time Ganon getting resurrected and/or unsealed over and over again. Just imagine how over this bullshit he must be by the time of the original LoZ.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Carpator Diei posted:

Just imagine how over this bullshit he must be by the time of the original LoZ.

"Screw it. I'm not puttin' on my nice body. It's just Big Pig Ganon this incarnation. Let's go out there and get our rear end kicked by a little kid so I can go back to bein' a disincorporated feeling of malice."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was inspired to get both Oracle games on 3DS Virtual Console because of this LP and I'm down a real ring collection rabbit hole. There are two rings that allow you to use your fists when you have nothing equipped. The Fist Ring deals even less damage than the Wooden Sword, while the Expert's Ring deals more damage.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

The Fist Ring deals even less damage than the Wooden Sword

THAT'S the one I was thinking of, thank you! I knew there was one that was basically terrible in every way.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Just one?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

One of the punching rings, I meant... There are plenty of other terrible ones as well.

We all know that the most useful ring in the whole game is the secret Birdphone ring which transforms you into the mighty fabled warrior.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MeccaPrime posted:

One of the punching rings, I meant... There are plenty of other terrible ones as well.

We all know that the most useful ring in the whole game is the secret Birdphone ring which transforms you into the mighty fabled warrior.

didn't that thread have a lot of really surreal shyguy avs too? just suddenly recalled that

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jump up, jump around

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I kind of like the music for this dungeon. Also I'd yell at you to use the Boomerang more and to stop face-tanking while trying to Ember Seed everything but it's a moot point since this is all pre-recorded.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, I can respect a Link that just wants to watch the world burn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You'd want to burn the world down, too, after reincarnating so many loving times to save the world from the same old bad guy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thinking back there was a small, but embarrassing, length of time where for some reason i never figured out that those big blue rolling pillars are things that you're supposed to. you know. push. and then eventually i figured it out somehow, but god that sucked.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That’s probably my least favorite dungeon in both games. It’s just so boring. It’s a shame because I love the Roc’s Feather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Let it drown