Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Valth001 posted:

It does according to the AI on reddit.

It might be tricky to fit in Affliction Break on your team though.

I put it on Ramza. It sort of worked. Instead of everyone getting interrupted, only 4 of them did. I must be getting bad RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, it's a 50% chance to apply with affliction break, so with no resistances, you'll still have 2 or 3 people getting interrupted on average. The good news is he only does savage strike at the beginning of new phase (80% and 40% HP). If you're not going for sub-30, the only real danger is if it happens immediately after the 50% dispel.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

saltylopez posted:

So anybody have the math regarding how to best use Bartz? I have both his USB1 and USB2, I can en-element for wind, earth, and water, and I have his Glint.

Before I got his USB2, I was primarily lifesiphoning up to two bars, then en-element followed by USB1 and spellblade spam. I'm not sure now if that's still the best option.

Somebody did the math on this in reddit if anybody else is curious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/93dngt/benchmark_bartz_usb1_usb2_and_bsb_what_happens_in/

The conclusions:
- If the finisher on the USB2 is going to activate, then it will pull ahead on damage, otherwise USB1 is better.
- If you're using a chain, use USB1 instead.
- Thunder god mode RM makes USB2 pull way ahead on dps assuming the finisher goes off.
- If using two bars or an entrust bot, then USB1>USB2 is better dps than en-element bsb > either USB.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Added magicite deck information to the links in the OP, including this great one for 5* Lightning prep.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm gonna die before I get all these magicites perfected, aaaaagh. My Midgardsomr is almost at level 99, so I can be completely done with that and move onto something else. Not sure if I want that to be another Earth Magicite since my Wind Team is still my best and my Earth Team is physical, so it would need some actual Attack Boon nonsense. I guess in the end I should just be getting all of them. It's not so bad if I just space it out and do it on off-days...

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
50 free mythril in log-in bonuses! . :toot:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Someone said to pull as much as you can on the ff5 banner so I did.
With 3x11 pulls, I picked up bartz's arcane, glint, and lmr, lenna's ultra and lmr, and krile's burst and lmr. That seems good?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Question: Should I spend Memory Lodes on Aerith's MC2, or should I just wait until I get to the dungeon that rewards it?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kheldarn posted:

Question: Should I spend Memory Lodes on Aerith's MC2, or should I just wait until I get to the dungeon that rewards it?

you will get so many MC2s you can throw them around like candy, especially if you want to use the character.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ImPureAwesome posted:

Someone said to pull as much as you can on the ff5 banner so I did.
With 3x11 pulls, I picked up bartz's arcane, glint, and lmr, lenna's ultra and lmr, and krile's burst and lmr. That seems good?

Yeah, sounds pretty good. Generally, getting LMR's for the same people you get relevant SB's for is good. Bartz is one of the best characters in the game, Lenna and Krile are also good. Lenna's USB isn't insta-cast like the best healer USB's are, but otherwise, good pulls!

Kheldarn posted:

Just go for it. As long as you are clearing events, you should never have a shortage of MC2's or MC2 lodes. MC3's warrant a little more discretion.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't stay away, FFV is my waifu game so with 7/14 already on the banner I pulled for a fourth time. Galuf LMR (my first dupe pull of the banner), and his 150Chain! Woop Woop.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

rujasu posted:

Yeah, sounds pretty good. Generally, getting LMR's for the same people you get relevant SB's for is good. Bartz is one of the best characters in the game, Lenna and Krile are also good. Lenna's USB isn't insta-cast like the best healer USB's are, but otherwise, good pulls!

Yeah I've already got a few instant cast ones, I got Ovelia's from the fft banner and Aerith's and Larsa's from the summer event. I guess I should look into making all the 5 star spellblade stuff?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

rujasu posted:

Just go for it. As long as you are clearing events, you should never have a shortage of MC2's or MC2 lodes. MC3's warrant a little more discretion.

There's my problem. Right now, the lowest dungeon available to me is Rank 54, in CCFF7. A lot of the Event dungeons seem to start at 99, so I can't do them yet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You can totally do the event ones at least. Just refresh the roaming warrior list until you find an AOSB and summon that. It'll kill the boss in one shot (well, 3 or 21 shots, but one cast). This won't work out well against the Ultimate and higher stages but it'll clear everything under that pretty reliably.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zurai posted:

You can totally do the event ones at least. Just refresh the roaming warrior list until you find an AOSB and summon that. It'll kill the boss in one shot (well, 3 or 21 shots, but one cast). This won't work out well against the Ultimate and higher stages but it'll clear everything under that pretty reliably.

Alright. I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Edit: OK, Necrophobe is a no-go since his barriers keep me from targeting him, and I can't take them down, but clowning Gilgamesh with my own Gil worked fine! Thanks again!

Will this also work for Crystal Tower and/or The Looming Wall?

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 1, 2018

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You can't use RWs for either of those, so no. You wouldn't really be able to cheese them with one anyway, though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the difficulty rating of stuff is a vague and inconsistent thing, but generally it’s around 120 or so where you can’t just use a RW twice to instagib the boss

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Hail mary Banner 1 pull:

4/11: Bartz AOSB (dupe), Bartz Glint, Krile BSB, Galuf LMR

And now I can focus solely on Banner 2 in the next FFV event.

Definitely something to this "waiting to pull" malarky.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

does squall BSB2 (lowen roar/draw and junction) count as spellblade stuff for purposes of his USB1/2? I don't have either USB, I assume it would, but lol thought put into abilities. I feel like that's my only chance of getting sub 30 on fenrir, I'm sitting around 33-36 seconds right now; perhaps having dispel with would help to cut down on fenrir eating up time with attacks and such...

or does anyone have any advice?

OK with pUSB + LMR and using him as entrust bot after dropping USB
Tyro drops GW on T1 then entrust bot, has LMR as well
Squall BSB2 (also have glint but I haven't been using it, probably should for the quickcast....)
Laguna USB/BSB1, really I drop his USB twice then BSB
elarra healing

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Squall's commands do count as spellblades, yes. No chase on usb1 because it's ice but the other stuff on usb1 works fine

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What's next on the "holy poo poo pull on this" banner list? I had budgeted two pulls for V, but my first pull got me Bartz' ASB and BSB, plus Faris' BSB, and I already have Bartz' USB1 plus a couple of other dupes, so it's too risky for another pull, as much as I'd like that earth chain.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Did an ill advised 3rd pull for Butz.

2/11: Butz LMR, Lenna BSB

Three pulls and all of Lenna’s on banner relics, thanks game you’re hilarious :negative:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What's next on the "holy poo poo pull on this" banner list? I had budgeted two pulls for V, but my first pull got me Bartz' ASB and BSB, plus Faris' BSB, and I already have Bartz' USB1 plus a couple of other dupes, so it's too risky for another pull, as much as I'd like that earth chain.

Quistisdemption, aka the next FF8 event. That'll be a little while from now. But feel free to analyze banners as they come for specific needs.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Adel posted:

Did an ill advised 3rd pull for Butz.

2/11: Butz LMR, Lenna BSB

Three pulls and all of Lenna’s on banner relics, thanks game you’re hilarious :negative:

Might be small consolation, but in all the reports I've seen the recurring problem in d$$$ has mostly been that their Lenna is bad.

Yours is good! Well, still bad, but good for the one specific fight!!!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah I've already got a few instant cast ones, I got Ovelia's from the fft banner and Aerith's and Larsa's from the summer event. I guess I should look into making all the 5 star spellblade stuff?

One of the reasons I said to go ham here was that Bartz is a perennial favourite and always has good new and recurring tech. You rolled into exactly what I have for him and I dove him immediately to clear endgame content with him, so he's already doing great.

Eventually, we're both going to trip over one of his USBs and then his status will be hugely improved.

As to Lenna USB, depending on where you are in content, she could easily be your best healer. In all non-magicite/non-Torment content, waiting 2 seconds for her USB is perfectly fine and the abilities themselves are top tier. Also, having it for the inevitable gregamesh battle will be very useful.

Don't worry about honing up all the 5* spellblades yet since you probably can't afford it, but try to have a full set of Bartzblades honed for 3* magicite content and beyond, probably even before.

You did good kid!

dimeat
Feb 28, 2003

Well let’s see it. I mean if it’s as big as you say, I’ll be your girlfriend. [gasps] We could go to prom together.
Decided to pull on FFV banner 1 since we're getting 50 mythril in login bonus

No dupes

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The D??? segment of The Looming Wall was a nice change of pace from speed meta all the time. Brought along OK BSB (a necessary evil for the commands, though Cid Raines might have worked just as well), Yda BSB/USB, Terra USB/BSB2, Locke BSB1/chain, and Y'shtola BSB. If I'd tweaked things a bit more I certainly could have hit 18 pushes instead of 17 pushes + 150K damage, but the reward is only 500K gil and I'm not that enamored with bragging rights that I'll rework a clear. In general, you want to have BSBs on everyone for when you inevitably run out of hones, and you also want an imperil effect for more gauge to fuel those SBs in the first place.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Final Fantasy IV's latest event has a strong earth focus with a splash of lightning - and someone keeps forgetting to put Tellah on life support! Everything new's banner 1, though banner 2 has the Decil Suite.

Banner 1 posted:

Ursula's Strong Gloves [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Earth/Fire Overflow physical attacks
Yang's Wolf Fang [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Earth Overflow physical attacks

Ursula's Crystal Gloves [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Earth/Fire physical attacks, En-Earth, Quick Cast & Ladle to user
Ladle: After dealing a critical hit, chases with 5 single-target Earth/Fire/NE physical attacks
Cid's Sledgehammer [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Lightning physical attacks, ATK & MAG -70%, Quick Cast & Dad's Hammer to user
Dad's Hammer: After using Lightning abilities, chases with 4 single-target Lightning/NE physical attacks
Tellah's Professor's Robe [USB, +10 MAG] - Quick Cast 2 to party, En-Earth & Dire Meteor to user
Dire Meteor: Dualcast Black Magic; When status is removed, chases with single-target Overflow magic attack (damage is equal to 35% of Earth damage dealt during it) + self Instant KO
Paladin Cecil's Royal Sword [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Holy physical attacks, Last Stand to party, Knight Damage +30% & Brave Mode to user
Condition: Use Knight abilities
Level 0: Single-target Holy physical attack
Level 1: 3 single-target Holy physical attacks, 1000 HP Stock to party
Level 2: 5 single-target Holy physical attacks, 2000 HP Stock to party
Level 3: 7 single-target Holy physical attacks, 4000 HP Stock to party

Ursula's Chakra Headband [Glint, +10 ATK] - High Quick Cast 2, Warrior Mode & +1 Warrior to user, Instant Cast
Warrior Mode: 1/2/3 Warrior -> Critical Chance +50/75/100%
Yang's Dougi [Glint, +10 ATK] - En-Earth, En-Earth Stack & High Quick Cast 2 to user, Instant Cast
Paladin Cecil's Paladin's Bracer [Glint, +10 ATK] - En-Holy to user, 2000 HP Stock to party, Instant Cast

Ursula's Kaiser Knuckles [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Earth for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Cid's Triton Hammer [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Lightning for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Tellah's Psycho Spiral [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Earth for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Yang's Model [LMR, +10 ATK] - Monk Damage +25% with Fist equipped
Ursula's Dress [LMR, +10 ATK] - 25% chance to Dualcast Monk abilities

Banner 2 posted:

Kain's Brionac [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Lightning Overflow jump attacks
Dark Knight Cecil's Demon Slayer [AOSB, +10 ATK] - 3 single-target Dark Overflow physical attacks

Rydia's Mythril Whip [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Water/NE summon magic attacks, En-Water, MAG & DEF +30% and Tidal Flood to user
Tidal Flood: After using Water abilities, chases with 5 single-target Water/NE summon magic attacks; Smart Ether 2 when status ends
Dark Knight Cecil's Demon Helm [USB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Dark/NE physical attacks, En-Dark, 99% curHP recoil, 100% Stoneskin & EX "Red Wings" to user
Red Wings: ATK +30%, Quick Darkness & Dualcast Darkness; Disappears simultaneously with Stoneskin
Palom's Mirage Rod [USB, +10 MAG] - 10 single-target Lightning/Ice magic attacks, En-Lightning, MAG & RES +30% and Black Magic Ability Double to user
Rosa's Fairie's Bow [USB, +10 MND] - h85 heal, 2000 HP Stock & 1 time Magic Blink to party, Instant Cast

Cid's Gaia Hammer [BSB, +10 ATK] - 8 random Lightning/NE physical attacks, Full Breakdown, Burst Mode
Attack -> 2 single-target Lightning/NE physical attacks, MAG -50%
Defend -> 2 single-target Lightning/NE physical attacks, DEF -40%

Tellah's Wonder Wand [BSB, +10 MAG] - MAG +30%, Haste & Quick Magic 3 to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> 4 single-target Earth/NE magic attacks, multiplier is dependent on user's MAG
Defend -> 2 AOE Earth/NE magic attacks, MAG +30% & DEF -30%

Dark Knight Cecil's Demon Shield [Glint, +10 ATK] - 100% Stoneskin & Darkness Ability Boost to user, Instant Cast

Kain's Thunder Shield [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Lightning for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Rydia's Diamond Armlet [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Water for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Dark Knight Cecil's Arondight [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Dark Knight Cecil's Hades Armor [LMR, +10 ATK] - Once per battle when HP falls below 20% HP, Last Stand and ATK +35% & DEF -35% to user
Palom's Hypnocrown [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Lightning for 25 seconds at the start of battle

Don't quite have a name for it yet (Gaia Release?) but

It is, indeed, the Earth-elemental version of Fires Within. Four single ranged Earth physical attacks, restores HP to the user for 30% of the user's maximum HP.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 2, 2018

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Dirty Inside

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kheldarn posted:

Alright. I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Edit: OK, Necrophobe is a no-go since his barriers keep me from targeting him, and I can't take them down, but clowning Gilgamesh with my own Gil worked fine! Thanks again!

Will this also work for Crystal Tower and/or The Looming Wall?

For Necrophobe look for a RW with an AoE. Shadow BSB is a popular one because after his entry it gives en-dark and instant (CMD1)/fast-cast AoE (CMD2) commands, which can really spit out some damage even on underleveled folks.

Other notable RWs:
Orlandeau OSB: this was the main one for carrying events before AOSBs became a thing. It's a high damage hit and then gives Thunder God, which is haste for the part of the bar that fills after you pick an ability.
Tyro USB: Godwall. Haste, protect, shell, and 100% def/res boosts that stack with proshell. This is every defensive buff in one package. Probably better to go for RWs that help you kill faster, but know this exists otherwise the damage at heigher tiers will seem unsurmountable.
Various BSBs: in the top tier meta these things have gotten pretty powercrept, but the BSB commands may be better than other skills you currently have access to and they sometimes give en-element as a rider along with an innate attack boost and haste that come from Burst Mode.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I always get conflicted when a side character gets good - like I don’t even remember Ursula.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Avalerion posted:

I always get conflicted when a side character gets good - like I don’t even remember Ursula.

she's from TAY, not IV

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I got Butz USB2 and Lenna USB in my last pull :toot:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dena is rebalancing some legend dives - notably Jecht gets fire/dark instead of just dark damage, might make his upcoming banner slightly less bad, but probably still not enough to pull unless you are desperate for fire. https://old.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/93ykt0/jp_upcoming_legend_dives_balance_changes/

More interested in the precedent, this opens the door for a lot of similiarly bad dives to be fixed.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Avalerion posted:

Dena is rebalancing some legend dives - notably Jecht gets fire/dark instead of just dark damage, might make his upcoming banner slightly less bad, but probably still not enough to pull unless you are desperate for fire. https://old.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/93ykt0/jp_upcoming_legend_dives_balance_changes/

More interested in the precedent, this opens the door for a lot of similiarly bad dives to be fixed.

Hopefully this opens up the possibility for Lightning getting access to Spellblade 6*

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

maybe they'll make the defensive knight dives not garbage

Attestant posted:

Hopefully this opens up the possibility for Lightning getting access to Spellblade 6*

if you've got the aptitude from a dive it really ought to unlock 6*s same as if it was native

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

anyway i'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just give a blanket +10% fire damage to all characters

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So the only reason I can think of keeping me from clearing D280 FFV is that I'm still on a 3* magicite deck, so I want to break into 4*.

Should I be building a fully inherited 3* magicite deck before attempting 4*?

Does sub-30ing a 3* mean I'm in relatively good standing for taking on the corresponding 4*?

Any general tips for taking on 4*? I'll probably be starting with Isgebind using a mage fire team featuring Vivi and Terra as the main damage dealers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I wouldn't bother inheriting onto 3* magicites.

A very, very general rule of thumb for advancing to the next tier of Magicite bosses is that if you can sub-30 the current tier, you can beat the next tier, and if you can sub-15 the current tier, you can sub-30 the next tier. This varies depending on what your exact party and method is and is a little less reliable for the 5* Magicite bosses because they have additional gimmicks, but for 3* to 4* it's pretty accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Isgebind in particular can be made easy with pblinks as he’s all physical.